• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ August: Just Cause 3 and Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry

Just Cause 4 needs to steal the Nemesis system. Add in action movie escapes for the villains. Let you build a resistance army. You could make something special.

DigSCCP

Interesting to see the complaints for Just Cause 3...it's what the AAA crowd wanted-no indie adventure games.

Maybe people will appreciate the Indies more next month because of those...what am I thinking, of course they won't.

I'm still surprised Sony hasn't started digging through their first party catalogue for hand-ours by now.

Still waiting on KZ SF.
I have the game and Season Pass but I would really apreciate a boost on the community even if its only for a month.
Same for Driveclub.

Memento

I couldnt play 20 minutes of Just Cause 3. And not because of the terrible fps... but because of how bad it is as a game. Terrible shooting mechanics, terrible driving mechanics, terrible movement controls...

The gameplay is legit bad.

Coolluck

Finished Freedom Cry. A good microcosm of what I enjoyed in Black Flag but holy crap did the faces look last gen!

That's about my feelings on the game, too. Honestly, faces always seem to be an issue with the series. I like having this game as a fresh reminder to compare with Origins. Just enough to get a taste of it again but not long enough to get sick of the series again.

I couldnt play 20 minutes of Just Cause 3. And not because of the terrible fps... but because of how bad it is as a game. Terrible shooting mechanics, terrible driving mechanics, terrible movement controls...

So it's just like Just Cause 2.

VariantX

I played a good bit of JC2 on PC, this game seems to control worse in every way. Like it feels like its dropping your inputs sometimes. The feel of grappling onto things also feels less solid than it did before. Might be I need to get used to this game or something.

BHK3

Banned
I played a good bit of JC2 on PC, this game seems to control worse in every way. Like it feels like its dropping your inputs sometimes. The feel of grappling onto things also feels less solid than it did before. Might be I need to get used to this game or something.

No it is dropping inputs because the framerate is really bad. It's ok to say that you aren't sensitive to it, but it's literally affecting your controls because the framepacing is like a richter scale.

Memento

That Asscreed game is rough to play. Everything seems so clunky.

Seriously. It's been years since my last Assassins Creed and I am pretty shocked at how clunky it is to play considering it is such a huge AAA series. It is really, really rough. The combat especially... jesus.

I guess the newer installments are probably better? Origins looks MUCH smoother gameplay wise.

Grinchy

Banned
Just Cause 3 suuuuuuucks. Holy fuck is it bad.

How did they go from JC2 to this? Is it just that the PS4 version sucks? I played JC2 on PC. The horrible framerate, the eye-slicing motion blur, the auto-aim funkiness of the controls, the basic mission structure....wow is this a pile of shit.

Seriously. It's been years since my last Assassins Creed and I am pretty shocked at how clunky it is to play considering it is such a huge AAA series. It is really, really rough. The combat especially... jesus.

I guess the newer installments are probably better? Origins looks MUCH smoother gameplay wise.

Yeah it is actually shockingly bad to me...I played it at launch and enjoyed it aside from the typical complaints about the AC games but yeesh

Can anyone here vouch for the Just Cause 3: Air, Land & Sea Expansion Pass's quality? Having a good bit of fun with the base game (barring the obvious performance issues on my OG PS4), but I'm temped to bite on the DLC because it's on sale for like $10. It has a fucking jetpack in it?!

Vashetti

Banned
Fourth time Freedom Cry has crashed for me today.

Twice on just the opening screens (outside of the game)

How did this pass cert?

Yu Furealdo

I played JC3 for a couple hours and had mixed feelings. I like the wingsuit and most of the mechanics, but freeing areas by hunting for objects to destroy is soooo boring imo... and that's a huge chunk of the game.

Dadasch

Fourth time Freedom Cry has crashed for me today.

Twice on just the opening screens (outside of the game)

How did this pass cert?

Played it for about three hours until now, never happened to me.

And I'm obviously one of very few people here who enjoy JC3. :D
It's certainly rough as fuck and very repetitive but I don't really mind it. Some mindless fun here and there is totally acceptable.

Codiox

I played JC3 for a couple hours and had mixed feelings. I like the wingsuit and most of the mechanics, but freeing areas by hunting for objects to destroy is soooo boring imo... and that's a huge chunk of the game.

Actually this is what I love about the game. Blowing up all that shit is really fun. But fuck these online log ins all the time. Whoever decided that this game is online should burn in hell.

Dadasch

Actually this is what I love about the game. Blowing up all that shit is really fun. But fuck these online log ins all the time. Whoever decided that this game is online should burn in hell.

Go to Settings -> Network and disable internet connectivity during play sessions.

Oreiller

Already tired of Freedom Cry 3 hours in. Liberating plantations is pretty fun and I really like the subject matter but it's pretty boring overall.

Codiox

Go to Settings -> Network and disable internet connectivity during play sessions.

Yeah that would help, actually I did this some times but I wanna listen to Spotify while blasting through the game. This shit is inexcusable. This is a single player game and I don't give a fuck about scoreboards

jdstorm

Banned
So it's just like Just Cause 2.

Nah its much better then JC2. Especially once you get some upgrades.

Peformance issues aside JC3 is basically what you would get if you polished the Just Cause formula and kept all the best bits while swapping the story out for something that feels like it is The Expendibles 3, or a Brosnan Bond film or an Elvis film.

Edit: its pretty self aware/ironic that Just Cause 3s main villanous organization is called the DRM

Dadasch

Yeah that would help, actually I did this some times but I wanna listen to Spotify while blasting through the game. This shit is inexcusable. This is a single player game and I don't give a fuck about scoreboards

It definitely sucks.
Even if you include something like this as a developer, you should at least make sure that it fucking works.

Understandable...JC3 is actually a good pick for Spotify but these Log-in every 10 minute or so is just unbearable.

manfestival

Tried playing Just Cause 3 for a couple of hours and it was so bad in every way. The humor was dumb, the mechanics were awful, and the game just didnt flow right. Funny enough the FPS issues werent too bad for me and I did enjoy this wow moment when this huge ball thing creates a massive explosion but it wasnt enough to hook me into the game.

Codiox

It definitely sucks.
Even if you include something like this as a developer, you should at least make sure that it fucking works.

Understandable...JC3 is actually a good pick for Spotify but these Log-in every 10 minute or so is just unbearable.

Sometimes I got it every time when I open up the map. Awful. I really like the game underneath all this shit, but avalanche studios did fuck up with this.

Kalor

I've been playing Just Cause and I've had some fun messing around in the open world but the missions and bases aren't any fun. All the towns/bases are the exact same and they don't do much to change it up. Some of the bases would be more fun if they had no enemies so you could destroy stuff in more elaborate ways.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Maybe it's because I have Boost Mode on on my Pro?

I can't imagine that being an issue though, people tested Black Flag with it and didn't report problems.

I've played it about 10-15 hours so far over several sessions with Boost and no issues.

it'd be great if everytime I paused JC3 it wouldn't try and fail to connect to the servers

also it'd be awesome if you could turn up the sensitivity to something that isn't as slow as molasses

finally why did they needlessly remove the sprint and roll button from the 2nd game

vypek

it'd be great if everytime I paused JC3 it wouldn't try and fail to connect to the servers

also it'd be awesome if you could turn up the sensitivity to something that isn't as slow as molasses

finally why did they needlessly remove the sprint and roll button from the 2nd game

People have asked this before. On the official forums or twitter I believe. The response was something along the lines of them giving different way to move around and sprint and roll were not needed. Maybe I'll go back to their official forums and check sometime.

Its a really stupid omission and one of the design choices I had a problem with for the game.

Minamu

I'm glad I never got around to buying Freedom Cry, because this was pretty terrible. Nice size for a stand-alone dlc pack but man, what a mess.

Like others, I've had two hard crashes, the framerate is really wonky even in boost mode, much more so than the original Black Flag, and the story isn't particularly well exectued either. Rescuing people from plantations got old pretty quickly as it's always the same "kill 20 guys" objective. I wanted to go get all the trophies but I don't see the point in trying to get another 250 slaves for my base.

I was never truly bothered by the earlier games' wonkiness but this is on another level imho. So many poor missions and annoying side objectives. the "best" part was in the mission where you need to find 3 to 5 clues by doing smaller side quests. One of the objectives was to never kill anyone will investigating but that was incredibly difficult, and even knocking someone out with your fists counted as a kill, as well as using someone as a human shield in combat. But if you complete an objective and then die, the no kill objective resets, while you keep the quest progress :lol Not sure if on purpose or if someone missed it.

The story felt like it was missing half the cutscenes, the villain goes from a nobody you barely see to full-on crazy evil mode way too fast, and all of a sudden, the always angry quest giver is looking like she wants to bang the main character at the end. Everything kinda felt like it was just a cut out piece of Black Flag intended material, as there's no tutorials at the start and the story kinda acts like the player already knows the back story and characters, and they evolve way too fast to make sense and be believable.

CREMSteve

I loved Just Cause 2. Played it for many, many hours.

I avoided JC3 because of all the bad feedback here. So now that I had a chance to play it for free, I gave it a shot.

Deleted it within 30 minutes. :(

vypek

I loved Just Cause 2. Played it for many, many hours.

I avoided JC3 because of all the bad feedback here. So now that I had a chance to play it for free, I gave it a shot.

Deleted it within 30 minutes. :(

What was it that made you get rid of it? Seems like it might be something besides performance

Not Drake

I started JC3 and I'm enjoying it so far. Mixing a grappel, parachute and wingsuit makes for a pretty fun traveling options which is a good thing because driving a car or flying a helicopter fucking sucks in this game. My GOD it makes Sleeping Dogs driving feel like a racing sim. I miss stuff like sprint, crouch or roll evade too. Not having them seems like a weird choice. Especially considering the gun combat would greatly benefit from that. Other than that I can see playing it a little bit. No performance problems for me so far after like 3 hours of playing. I'm on the Pro with Boost Mode.

I confess the more I play JC3, the more I like it!
Still angry about frame rate, shooting system and some other things and don't know anything about story (skipped all cut-scenes), but it's really fun and like to capture bases, use that rope to do interesting things with people and their cars and make big explosions. Sadly those explosions make game running under 10fps at some points! :|

autoduelist

I'm closing in on the plat for JC3. I've got tons to do still, in a way, but I've done most of the 'really hard crap' like wingsuit challenges and 80% of the collectables.

Really like the game. I never finished JC2 [loved it but burnt out like I did on Saboteur], but i'll plat this. Frame rate issues only really hit during massive base attacks when you're owning everything with 30 missiles on screen. I'll survive.

Played Freedom Cry for a bit today, pretty decent, more or less the same as BF which is a good thing, and bad. Tailing, eavesdropping being bad, the rest being good.

Top Bottom