• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ August: Just Cause 3 and Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry

I loved black flag back in the day , but I really have forgotten how janky it must be based on freedom cry

- clunky tutorials
- clunky running and climbing
- terrible tail missions
- terrible listen to conversation missions

Not sure if I can continue with freedom cry because of it

Just cause 3 despite some slowdowns I really enjoyed on release , I have a lot of fun just wing suiting everywhere and I didn't find the aiming that bad , kind of needs an auto aim for the tethers etc

Look forward to jumping back in and blowing up everything

That was my experience as well with black flag.

Bar the naval battle which I'm also not very fond of, Unity is a way better game that got battered for being overly ambitious.

GunBR

2 hours in on Just Cause 3 and loving the game so far

I wasn't a huge fan of Assassin's Creed IV (actually I drop the game after 5/6 hours) so I don't have huge expectations on Freedom Cry, but gonna try it anyway

kyser73

JC3 fills the void Mercenaries left quite well.

You know I was thinking of making a thread about a modern version of Mercenaries, and while JC3 scratches some of that itch, nothing was more fun than laser spotting an airstrike and I really miss that.

Man, I want a new Mercenaries so bad.

Freedom Cry is buggy as fuck. I've had enemies spawning out of thin air as a replacement for a guy I just killed and dead NPCs that I walking over and they get back up. There was also one instance of an enemy sitting on a wall that I wanted to air assassinate, so I climb up a tent and for the split second he's out of sight due to the roof, he disappears. Luckily it's just the funny bugs so far.

Just Cause seems good. My internet is shit so I've been playing around with goat physics on that tutorial island while the rest downloads.

So no fix for the JC3 logging in to servers issue. Guess I'll leave it a few weeks and maybe it will be better when there's less people playing.

Eylos

Banned
Playing jc3 on pro, its fine most of the time, when there's too much explosion + being hit, i feel the lag, but since its only these parts thats ok.

Played some Just Cause yesterday on my Pro and the game itself is actually pretty fun.

Legitimately went to the map, zoomed out and thought 'wow, this map is huge' then then realised it was only the first island. Fucking insane.

xrnzaaas

Played some Just Cause yesterday on my Pro and the game itself is actually pretty fun.

Legitimately went to the map, zoomed out and thought 'wow, this map is huge' then then realised it was only the first island. Fucking insane.

You'll get used to it once you start wingsuitting, parachuting and flying everywhere. Using cars or travelling on foot (!) is a waste of time in this game. ;p

eizarus

Banned

Yeah the map size is crazy.

I'm enjoying Just Cause but fuck me that frame rate dropping during combat (especially on the PS4 normal) is beyond ridiculous. Then there's the constant disconnecting and reconnecting (even when you switch to offline mode). My understanding is that they went silent post release and then started churning out dlc instead of fixing the game. Frankly Avalanche can go fuck themselves if that's the case.

God I love flying with the wingsuit in this game.

KORNdoggy

Playing jc3 on pro, its fine most of the time, when there's too much explosion + being hit, i feel the lag, but since its only these parts thats ok.

i always found the framedrops when explosions hit very easy to forgive since it added an almost slo-mo-like feature. made you feel all cool walking away from an explosion like in movies.

loving downwell way more than i expected to. its hard as nails but it's very addictive.

Auctopus

Grabbed Downwell... F this is hard.

It has a strange learning curve. I didn't use to be able to get past caves very often, now I can consistently get a few levels in to the next stage (and I don't even play that much). I feel like you get more confident with the 'physics' of the game.

RS4-

Gotta pull the ethernet plug if the game doesn't keep you logged in, in jc3.

Because every time you hit pause to skip a cut scene or every time you bring up the map, it'll try to reconnect to the fucking square servers.

My understanding is that they went silent post release and then started churning out dlc instead of fixing the game. Frankly Avalanche can go fuck themselves if that's the case.

The game actually performed better on release. The patches made the performance worse!

NewDust

I've been getting this on firefox...Oddly Chrome works and that's how I got all the free games this month...No clue Wth is going on

Getting an "Access Denied" message when I try to enter the Store from my PC. WTF!? I'm on Chrome. Gonna try on PS devices.

Will try resetting my router, but not right now. Really weird as I just came back home after being away for a week :/

For chrome:

F12 > Chrome Developer Tools > Application tab > Clear storage in left tree > Select the data items to clear, then click Clear site data.

This keeps you logged in on other sites and keeps preferences.

Or just delete all your cookies, which should also work in other browsers.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
You know I was thinking of making a thread about a modern version of Mercenaries, and while JC3 scratches some of that itch, nothing was more fun than laser spotting an airstrike and I really miss that.

Man, I want a new Mercenaries so bad.
JC3 has an airstrike gun, but I know what you mean.

God damn the Square Enix servers for Just Cause 3 are fucking terrible. Every time I open the damn map. It tries to automatically reach the Square Enix server. Ugh.

You are better off playing this game offline completely, just log off your PSN. It's so god damn annoying.

Just Cause 3 is alright for a PS+ title. I can easily ignore all of it's issues but man I hate the whole "connect to online" loading bars.

vypek

I heard server issues for PC at launch but didn't know it was affecting PS4. Oddly enough that was the one area that I never had an issue with when I played

thsantos

3 years waiting for an AAA game on psn plus and when it happens, Playstation BR decides to leave it out of plus free games for us. Sucks that I bought a full year subscription to those hacks.

breakfuss

Yeah, the constant attempt to connect to Square's servers is aggravating. I'm guessing no one's come up with a workaround. Otherwise I've enjoyed the little time I've spent with JC3. Haven't experienced the framereate hiccups but I'm sure they're coming. Btw, what the hell is Rico's background based on (I know it's fictional)? Latin? Italian?!

Also, Downwell is amazing, folks. Give it a try.

Having a lot of fun with Just Cause 3, even with the framerate issues (with some time, I'm used to it and it's not always awful... but when that's the case... yikes...) and the stupid connection problem (solved by setting the console offline, it's a little annoying but whatever), I'm glad it's "free"!

Wondering on buying the season pass, it's 9,99€ at the moment, worth it or not? Seems really fun, specially Sky Fortress.

Just Cause 3 is quite a lot of fun to me (as a complete newcomer to the series), but the login thing is downright "these guys should be sued and jailed" stuff. How is it even conceivable that "offline mode" means "randomly try to connect, freezing the game for minutes or even crashing it"? For a shitty leaderboard nonsense nobody wants, even? I assume it's some excuse for an always online DRM shit?

Anyway, the best way to circumvent it seems to be to go to your PS4 options, network, and uncheck "connect to internet", then launch the game. It's easier than logging out of PSN altogether, and I can confirm that as long as you do that before launching the game, it won't try to connect.

Downwell is an amazingly addictive game, but holy fuck is it hard. Furthest I got was the 4th area, and now I'm learning about a hard mode???

Well Just Cause 3 was some hot trash. Bad frame rate, constantly making you log in for some reason, and then logging you out for some reason. You want to skip that cutscene that's boring and dull? Too bad, now wait a few minutes while it tries to log you in despite you not asking it to.
I've had my fun with it, I've done some weird grapple hook physics.

I beat Super Motherload though, that was fun. You could finish that in the times when JC3 decides to log you in.

Edit: I forgot about Downwell, downloading it to my Vita now for some bed time fun.

Rellik

Freedom Cry is buggy as fuck. I've had enemies spawning out of thin air as a replacement for a guy I just killed and dead NPCs that I walking over and they get back up. There was also one instance of an enemy sitting on a wall that I wanted to air assassinate, so I climb up a tent and for the split second he's out of sight due to the roof, he disappears. Luckily it's just the funny bugs so far.

The main game was pretty buggy too.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Huh, Freedom Cry won't let me suspend the PS4. It closes the game out first. This is the first game I recall this happening with.

VLiberty

fuck motherload. the game is tons of fun to the point that i've played more than 1 hour straight...then it decided to put me in front of a mandatory fetch quest with missable items. now I can't go any further because one of the items is unreachable

LightInfa

Hadn't been really gaming at all this past month - just cause 3 download finishes and I accidentally spend my two off days just dicking around in the open world - this game is like sandbox comfort food. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to the performance issues but I really only noticed fps problems when I was on the extreme end of simultaneous explosions.

Alpende

For Just Cause 3 loading : play offline.

Yes suck ass method but the long loading comes from Square shitty log in...

I just turn off WiFi completely and enjoy the game. It runs like ass but blowing shit up is fun as hell. And I think I've never played a game in which the driving is so bad, luckily there are more interesting ways of getting traversing the world.

Played some Downwell yesterday finally. Man I am so bad at these kind of games, but I love them. Just wish I was better at them.

I just turn off WiFi completely and enjoy the game. It runs like ass but blowing shit up is fun as hell. And I think I've never played a game in which the driving is so bad, luckily there are more interesting ways of getting traversing the world.

Think about check season pass.

Air, Sea & Land extensions are half price or something, tons of fun and great stuff to unlock early to enjoy freely in the main game too

giapel

Just Cause 2 was one of my most played games of last gen. Glad to see 3 is still in the same style. What a game to get for free!

Man, how could Just Cause 3 got any good reviews? Server issues, performance issues, horrible story and after 2 hours, I have the feeling that I already saw everything that this game has to offer. All I do is going to towns or bases and take them back with destroying a bunch of things. Over and over and over and over and over again. That's the whole game. + lame ass Challenges.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
For Just Cause 3 loading : play offline.

Yes suck ass method but the long loading comes from Square shitty log in...
That makes sense.

I got to actually get on their online system last time I played JC3 and the loading times became atrocious. Then the online system gave up entirely.

The game itself is fun.

My save file for Super Motherload corrupted do badly it ended up changing my character and lost most of my progress, boo.

Will try AC some time this weekend.

Top Bottom