• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ August: Just Cause 3 and Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry

NewDust

fuck motherload. the game is tons of fun to the point that i've played more than 1 hour straight...then it decided to put me in front of a mandatory fetch quest with missable items. now I can't go any further because one of the items is unreachable

Played a ton of it during the PS4 launch, could you post a screenshot of the situation? Are you sure the block is for your current quest and not a subsequent quest?

VLiberty

Played a ton of it during the PS4 launch, could you post a screenshot of the situation? Are you sure the block is for your current quest and not a subsequent quest?

Nevermind, just solved the problem. There was an unreachable hook since I mistakenly destroyed the adjacent blocks(and the one on top of it was a black/yellow block which apparently is unbreakable), luckily there are some more hooks in the previous "layers", I had to go up a bit but finally found one.

Daffy Duck

Is Just cause 3 just a pile of shit that's not worth any time?

I load it up and now the SE servers are unavailable, is this as good as it gets?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

I load it up and now the SE servers are unavailable, is this as good as it gets?

After the umpteenth login dialog window, I cursed the game and the developers, and promptly deleted the game from my hard drive. Can't stand having my time wasted.

NewDust

Nevermind, just solved the problem. There was an unreachable hook since I mistakenly destroyed the adjacent blocks(and the one on top of it was a black/yellow block which apparently is unbreakable), luckily there are some more hooks in the previous "layers", I had to go up a bit but finally found one.

Glad you solved it. Already thought it where the hooks, but couldn't remember if there where any other quest with a limited amount of items.

Eumi

There's a fun game in there somewhere but it seems buried under a ton of crap.

Depends on how much you can put up with.

G-Bus

Banned
Downwell is another unexpected gem. Finding it really hard. Haven't made it passed 2-2.

Downwell and super motherload. Good stuff.

Ogawa-san

I got stuck the same way, took me a while to get through that. Just to get to the next part where a maxed out fuel container doesn't seem to be optional.

Even with that upgrade it's 5min of digging and 5min of flying down & back up for fuel. It got old real fast, I gave up.

Rymuth

Finished Freedom Cry. A good microcosm of what I enjoyed in Black Flag but holy crap did the faces look last gen!

Toni

Mechanically, from a third person standpoint, its pretty horrific. If you have MGS5 and Uncharted 4 installed in your library, legit avoid this profoundly.

It feels to me like a game stuck in the early 2000's with no over the shoulder view available, no proper aiming, clunky animations, bad image quality, bad base performance, cringy cutscenes, brain dead AI and unmemorable characters.

Its first impression was even worse to me since I'm coming fresh from Horizon.

Just Cause 3 shooting mechanism is even worse than frame rate for me. It's a fun game with lots of enjoyable destruction and explosions, but aiming and shooting at enemies is really bad.

Sometimes I wonder just how jaded are the gamers at gaf.. Smh seems more like criticism because the game has different mechanics than other games, then the game is somehow unplayable

Daffy Duck

Mechanically, from a third person standpoint, its pretty horrific. If you have MGS5 and Uncharted 4 installed in your library, legit avoid this profoundly.

It feels to me like a game stuck in the early 2000's with no over the shoulder view available, no proper aiming, clunky animations, bad image quality, bad base performance, cringy cutscenes, brain dead AI and unmemorable characters.

I've played both those....not a great feeling.

First impression is a bad one anyway when the game gives a server error in first boot.

xrnzaaas

I've played both those....not a great feeling.

First impression is a bad one anyway when the game gives a server error in first boot.

It's best to set your console to offline mode when you're playing this game. Connecting to the servers won't grant you with any profits and you'll save some time that the game would've wasted on unsuccessful attempts. The server situation probably won't improve until the majority of PS+ gamers moves on to next month's games.

autoduelist

Man, how could Just Cause 3 got any good reviews? Server issues, performance issues, horrible story and after 2 hours, I have the feeling that I already saw everything that this game has to offer. All I do is going to towns or bases and take them back with destroying a bunch of things. Over and over and over and over and over again. That's the whole game. + lame ass Challenges.

Well, I mean, it's Just Cause. It's a base attack game with grapple and wingsuit... that's all it ever wants to be. And it's fun as hell, I can attack bases all day.

After the umpteenth login dialog window, I cursed the game and the developers, and promptly deleted the game from my hard drive. Can't stand having my time wasted.

Go to Network and go offline, it fixes this.

It's worth your time if you like sandbox destruction games. It's over the top -- you can grapple to a helicopter, throw out the pilot, then hang from the helicopter, grapple attach it to a enemy jeep, pick up the jeep, and drop it on a tank. Or just go rocket crazy. Or whatever. Fun.

You need to unlock aiming precision, which lets you have over the shoulder view. It's pretty easy to unlock, just do shotgun challenge [open at beginning] and get an easy 3 stars.

It's odd they locked that behind progression, but it is there.

And the games you mention are not really replacements for JC3. JC3 is a ridiculous sandbox game... it's kind of the silly version of Far Cry, like Saint's Row is the silly version of GTA. You can't just replace it with another third person shooter... I mean, sure, U4 is a far better game, but if I want base attack, or mass destruction, how is U4 ever going to scratch that itch?

Daffy Duck

It's best to set your console to offline mode when you're playing this game. Connecting to the servers won't grant you with any profits and you'll save some time that the game would've wasted on unsuccessful attempts. The server situation probably won't improve until the majority of PS+ gamers moves on to next month's games.

It's worth your time if you like sandbox destruction games. It's over the top -- you can grapple to a helicopter, throw out the pilot, then hang from the helicopter, grapple attach it to a enemy jeep, pick up the jeep, and drop it on a tank. Or just go rocket crazy. Or whatever. Fun.

OK noted, that's why I went into it, i do like sandbox modes where I can just arse around and blow stuff up.

autoduelist

OK noted, that's why I went into it, i do like sandbox modes where I can just arse around and blow stuff up.

That's basically this game in a nutshell. Over the top base attack... no hint of stealth approach like, say, Far Cry... it's bananas from the get go. After you master your basics [wingsuit, parachute, grapple gun] you'll be winging around the base. You can force pull your tethers, so, for example, connect a dude [or tank] to an explosive barrel, then hold L2 and watch them fly together into an explosion. Or tether a chopper to a tank, and pull them into each other. Or put rocket bombs on a jeep and watch it shoot into a fuel tank.

There's a tiny little bit of Red Faction Guerilla destruction in there too... it's sadly nowhere near as complex in destruction as RF had but there are some big things you can do that too, like huge radar dishes and various towers.

Gunplay and drive physics leave something to be desired [the first improves with unlocks, the second 'improves' as you get used to it and adapt]. But the mayhem is fun.

I'm not frame rate sensitive and haven't seen much slowdown anyway.... maybe if I blow up 10 things at once... nothing that affects my gameplay.

There are challenges that you need to do to unlock skills. They initially seem really annoying, but I found they do improve with time. Like, the first time I did a wingsuit challenge I was like 'f this, not doing these' because it felt so awkward... but after just playing the game and mastering the wingsuit I realized these challenges are actually quite fun and not the trainwreck I thought. Some challenges really need other unlocks... don't even bother trying to 5 gear the pistol challenge without precision aim unlocked, for example.... but once you unlock that, 5 starring the pistol challenge was easy. [i think this is part of why some complain so much about gameplay... some of the game just feels clunky at first till you adapt to it]

It's been awhile since I played an AC game (black flag at launch actually) but goddamn I don't remember the combat being this clunky/unfun/stiff. I never thought it was good but this is much worse than I remembered lol

Loaded an old save where i had completed all of the story and had 10ish bases left to takeover.

Attacking a small town outpost brings 3-4 choppers, boats, jeeps , where the hell are they all coming from since i control most of the island.

That's when the real slowdown hits, 3 helis, attack boats, jeeps going 100 kms an hour over hills .

Protome

I still can't believe they updated JC3 and made the framerate worse.

It's worth slogging through to hear the sweet sweet voice of David Tennant though.

sectionse7en

Neo Member
Really loving Just Cause 3. I borrowed it off a friend ages back so starting on that save, but barely scratched the surface. What a gloriously huge map.

It's worth grabbing the Season Pass while it's still cheap on the UK PSN (£8) - solely for the jetpack, which turns the game into the best Iron Man game ever made.

The motorbike driving is a joke, though... but not nearly as much as a joke as the online connection stuff.

Honestly didn't notice David Tennant was in it, what a great but strange choice!

T-0800

I still can't believe they updated JC3 and made the framerate worse.

It's worth slogging through to hear the sweet sweet voice of David Tennant though.

I've found it runs pretty well on Pro with boost mode. Unless there a lot of explosions going off at once or you are surrounded by cars it is pretty good. Better than I was expecting.

Kane1345

I really hate the controls in JC3 when you're in the air and grappling stuff. Made it to the third island but I think I'm done with it. Between the big amount of defense type story missions (I don't like those mission types). the bad shooting mechanics and the performance drops when exploding things, I'm done. I always wanted to try it and I did have fun in the beginning but the problems just kept on piling up. Anyway, hoping for a good month next month for plus.

womfalcs3

Banned
Just Cause 3 shooting mechanism is even worse than frame rate for me. It's a fun game with lots of enjoyable destruction and explosions, but aiming and shooting at enemies is really bad.

Glad it wasn't just me. The shooting plus the performance issues break the game for me.

I really hate the controls in JC3 when you're in the air and grappling stuff. Made it to the third island but I think I'm done with it. Between the big amount of defense type story missions (I don't like those mission types). the bad shooting mechanics and the performance drops when exploding things, I'm done. I always wanted to try it and I did have fun in the beginning but the problems just kept on piling up. Anyway, hoping for a good month next month for plus.

The stick dead zone in that JC3 is terrible. It makes so much of the driving and shooting unnecessarily difficult.

I started up both today, and got bored of both. Assassin's Creed is just outdated, and the Just Cause stuff just wasn't working for me. In the end, I just found it boring. It doesn't feel right, IMO.

Mithos

I've been getting this on firefox...Oddly Chrome works and that's how I got all the free games this month...No clue Wth is going on

I've had this for a loooooong while on Firefox too, I manually deleted all cookies from *.playstation.com, rebooted the browser then I could access the store again.

Intel_89

The clear winner for me this month is Downwell, so simple yet so brilliantly addictive. I've nearly beaten the boss on Hard once, that's how many times I actually managed to get there. Just Cause 3 seems fun enough, love the graple mechanics but everything else seems unpolished.

As for the rest, I don't own a PS3, have no interest in AC and haven't touched Level 22 just yet.

jdstorm

Banned
Really loving Just Cause 3. Was holding off on buying it until i get a new laptop. But obviously now was as good a time as any to jump in.

No game quite nails the experience of being Pierce Brosnan's James Bond quite like Just Cause.

Crumpo

Interesting to see the complaints for Just Cause 3...it's what the AAA crowd wanted-no indie adventure games.

Maybe people will appreciate the Indies more next month because of those...what am I thinking, of course they won't.

I'm still surprised Sony hasn't started digging through their first party catalogue for hand-ours by now.

Interesting to see the complaints for Just Cause 3...it's what the AAA crowd wanted-no indie adventure games.

Maybe people will appreciate the Indies more next month because of those...what am I thinking, of course they won't.

I'm still surprised Sony hasn't started digging through their first party catalogue for hand-ours by now.

I like the indies mostly but wow people don't like when they get broken games what a surprise

Keym

Well, it's not Knack.

I just want good games I don't own :p Rocket League was the best PS+ week, by far.

Nipo

I'm really enjoying JC3 even if it was annoying as hell to have to put my PS4 in offline mode to get the stupid connecting to servers message to go away for good. This is a great example of a game that gains nothing by online integration but it is still aton of fun.

Just Cause 3 is very fun and among the top PS+ titles for me. It's so easy to just pick up and play for a bit then return to whenever you feel like. It isn't without its flaws, but I'm having a blast (playing on Pro so the technical stuff isn't too bad).

VariantX

Man, don't ever die in JC3...takes what feels like forever to reload the map, even if you only die a few feet from where your last checkpoint was.

Yeah, I was really excited to try this for free, but I bounced right off the shootout they drop you into right when the game starts.

autoduelist

Can someone explain what I'm supposed to do in Downwell? Should I be shooting enemies? Missing them? Hitting them in the head?

---------------

Regarding JC3...

You know, I'm finally experiencing some slowdown on JC3 on the big island.

But you know what? I'm in a chopper, throwing down 10+ missiles in the air at all times [small + heavy], getting fired on by tanks and helis and soldiers... and when I hit things, they not only have physics toppling them, but there are chain explosions... heck, based on my missile fire plus chain explosions there can be a ton of stuff just blowing up at any given time.

So... yea, there is slow down. But in a way? That's kind of what I want. I'd rather that then they slowed down my fire rate, or reduced enemies, or reduced explosions, or got rid of topple physics, or got rid of chain explosions. Or reduce missile distance [they go far!], or reduce the number of things that blow up in any given area X.... doing stuff like that would reduce the load, and remove the chance of slowdown.... but I don't think I want that.

I -want- my sandbox games like this to let me push the envelope. And I'll take occasional slowdown over them reducing my ability to destroy things.

At some point, devs have to choose when to 'call it' in terms of how many things are going on at once. They reduce enemies on screen, they reduce draw distance, explosions... but none of that makes sense in JC3, a game which is basically a ridiculous over the top blow-it-up sandbox.

So... yeah. I'm okay with slowdown. In fact, I kind of want it -- or better put, I don't want them to play it safe, and reduce every parameter until there is no chance of slow down. I want them to have giant excavators falling in the distance as I set off a bunch of explosives and tether across the sky. I want them to let me push the game into slowdown, because if they aren't letting me do that, then they didn't add enough stuff [or, took too much away].

So yeah. That's my rant. For a sandbox game like this where there's little limiting how much destruction I can cause at once, slowdown is aok in my book.

Just cause 3 is ok. Performance is whatever but as someone earlier said the game just isn't very good. If I paid $10 for it I'd say that's fair, so being on ps+ is a good deal

Top Bottom