• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

prwxv3

PSnow is not a BC solution and has never been their BC solution. It exists so in the future when streaming is viable they have a avenue to capitalize on it. Not saying you have to like it. And PS3 emulation is extremely improbable on PS4 lol. PS consoles will have BC from now on however.

Great Horizon stuff though.

Tjamato88

Nearly sure Greg mentioned games plural when he commented that there was stuff they couldn't talk about

Horizon which I'm sure we all guessed. But what else? The switch maybe?

Mass Effect maybe? Could be BOTW on Wii U. Colin said they didn't have a Switch but nothing about the Wii U verison ;)

Might also be Ghost Recon Wildlands or if it's really far out maybe Persona 5.

Jesus fucking christ. Those people need to repercussions in their life.

The tone of the e-mail was not dissimilar. Basically, they don't want to play Horizon because they feel they can't "relate" to Aloy and think that videos games protagonists should always be male because the guy claimed there are far more male video game players and the video game companies risk losing money by focusing on a female protagonist. Unsurprisingly, Greg and Colin were rightfully not buying any of it and called the guy out. Not the response he probably expected.

Jennipeg

The tone of the e-mail was not dissimilar. Basically, they don't want to play Horizon because they feel they can't "relate" to Aloy and think that videos games protagonists should always be male because the guy claimed there are far more male video game players and the video game companies risk losing money by focusing on a female protagonist. Unsurprisingly, Greg and Colin were rightfully not buying any of it and called the guy out. Not the response he probably expected.

This always puzzles me. My response is basically, 'I'm a woman, so welcome to my life as a gamer'. I have no problem relating to characters, regardless of gender. Maybe I am now trained to do so, I don't know, but empathy isn't gender exclusive.

At the same time, I am so excited to play this game because of Aloy. A lead female character, who is fully clothed? I'm in.

Tjamato88

This always puzzles me. My response is basically, 'I'm a woman, so welcome to my life as a gamer'. I have no problem relating to characters, regardless of gender. Maybe I am now trained to do so, I don't know, but empathy isn't gender exclusive.

At the same time, I am so excited to play this game because of Aloy. A lead female character, who is fully clothed? I'm in.

This should be on a sign somewhere. I've been playing games since I was a kid and never had an issue identifying with characters of any kind of gender/sexual orientation/race/species.

If you can't then you're doing it wrong.

Funny thing is you don't see these same assholes complaining when said female protagonist is showing T&A. Where's all the whining over Nier's 2B?

Can't relate my ass!

notaxation

Neo Member
It was a weird question. I'll never understand people needing to "relate" to characters in fiction. Fucking bizarre. Don't we immerse ourselves in books, TV shows, movies, games, et cetera, to enjoy other people's stories?

Says a lot about a person if they need to see themselves everywhere they look. I, for one, want as little of me as possible in the fiction I consume. LOL.

prwxv3

It was a weird question. I'll never understand people needing to "relate" to characters in fiction. Fucking bizarre. Don't we immerse ourselves in books, TV shows, movies, games, et cetera, to enjoy other people's stories?

Says a lot about a person if they need to see themselves everywhere they look. I, for one, want as little of me as possible in the fiction I consume. LOL.

Great response on that question. And I agree with you 100 percent

Jennipeg

This should be on a sign somewhere. I've been playing games since I was a kid and never had an issue identifying with characters of any kind of gender/sexual orientation/race/species.

If you can't then you're doing it wrong.

lol, it would be a pretty long sign. I just don't think this person is looking at the bigger picture. If men and women can't relate, nobody would have relationships, or they would all be terrible. Has he never empathised with a girlfriend about something (assuming he is straight)? It just seems odd to say he can't.

A warning about this weeks Horizon discussion: they spoil the nature of a twist in a way that I think will colour people's experience. If you want to go into the game knowing absolutely nothing I'd advise skipping topic of the show.

Isn't it more about sympathizing to a character rather than seeing yourself in that character. If you can sympathize then you can place yourself in that experience and have a more true emotional reaction.

Jennipeg

Isn't it more about sympathizing to a character rather than seeing yourself in that character. If you can sympathize then you can place yourself in that experience and have a more true emotional reaction.

Yeah, I think being able to understand why a character behaves the way they do, and feels the way they do is important. I could not relate to Joel in TLoU, but I understood exactly why he chose to do the things he did. It just made perfect sense for that character, and I was/am incredibly attached to him, but I don't really see any of myself in him.

If a person's emotional growth is seriously that stunted, they need to look at self betterment asap.

indeed, recent books I enjoyed immensely are the Wool series, and Hunger games, both led by female protagonist.

Question was utterly ridiculous, bravo for the response.

Jennipeg

If a person's emotional growth is seriously that stunted, they need to look at self betterment asap.

That or read more books, see more films, speak to more people. Get immersed in something outside of this narrow comfort zone. Isn't that what fantasy is all about?

Toli08

Will never understand when people bitch about what the protagonist is. It's a video game, enjoy the story they want to show. It's annoying from both sides if you ask me. It's annoying when people whine about the main character being a female or a minority character. It's annoying when people whine about why a game isn't diverse enough. Let the people that make the games make them how they want.

I want a quality story with fun gameplay when I play a game. A game that isn't filled with check list criteria to sell more copies. Let the developers do whatever they want. If it's a game filled with only African American female characters then let them. At the end if the people that are working on the game have a love for what they are doing, will lead to a better game.

Also I can't wait to play Horizon going to be so fn good.

You seemed to imply that one couldn't be able to "sympathize" with another person unless that other person was the same gender as him/her. I'd call that type of person emotionally stunted too.

Oh no I actually meant the opposite. As long as a character is well developed with intentions and making decisions that you can understand I think that's all that really matters. Gender shouldn't matter at all.

Totally agree with this, I cringe whenever I hear questions like that.

Oh no I actually meant the opposite. As long as a character is well developed with intentions and making decisions that you can understand I think that's all that really matters. Gender shouldn't matter at all.

Ah alright, thanks for clearing that up :)

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. It's basically all in the execution. If the storyteller sets up his characters well enough, people can empathize with nearly anyone.

Jennipeg

Ah alright, thanks for clearing that up :)

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. It's basically all in the execution. If the storyteller sets up his characters well enough, people can empathize with nearly anyone.

Absolutely, who didn't cry when Mufasa died in the Lion King? And that's a cartoon lion!

A warning about this weeks Horizon discussion: they spoil the nature of a twist in a way that I think will colour people's experience. If you want to go into the game knowing absolutely nothing I'd advise skipping topic of the show.

Yeah. There was one line in there which I wish I hadn't heard going into the game. I will not repeat it for those wishing to remain on media black-out.

As for the rest of the episode... great stuff, gang. I cannot wait until next Tuesday. Your excitement for Horizon has gotten me even more jazzed (yeah, I'm using that word) to finally play it.

Yeah and great response from your part and Greg's!

It's such a shitty thing to say that they can relate to a serial killer, treasure hunters, cartoony plumbers, vampire hunters, astronauts, criminals, soldiers, etc as long as their male because if that's a female then all of a sudden "oops I can't relate! Too unrealistic!" Such bullshit.

And like I said this only seems to happen when said female protagonist is empowered and/or isn't sexualized. You don't tend to see these discussions over Berseria's, Neir's or [insert almost any female protagonist from Japan]'s leads. Double standards abound.

Yeah and great response from your part and Greg's!

It's such a shitty thing to say that they can relate to a serial killer, treasure hunters, cartoony plumbers, vampire hunters, astronauts, criminals, soldiers, etc as long as their male because if that's a female then all of a sudden "oops I can't relate! Too unrealistic!" Such bullshit.

And like I said this only seems to happen when said female protagonist is empowered and/or isn't sexualized. You don't tend to see these discussions over Berseria's, Neir's or [insert almost any female protagonist from Japan]'s leads. Double standards abound.

It's only because she is female, which is fucking pathetic.

I think that there's one exception to this, and its people that feel underrepresented and undervalued getting to see that people want to tell their stories:

http://www.blastr.com/2016-12-5/rep...ne-comic-shop-employee-helped-save-girls-life

Mezoly

Am I reading too much into their discussion about Horizon? BIG SPOILERS speculation follows from me
Saying Aloy has problems with how she talks and he doesn't know how he would fix it, Are they hinting that she is a robot?

Top Bottom