• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Am I reading too much into their discussion about Horizon? BIG SPOILERS speculation follows from me
Saying Aloy has problems with how she talks and he doesn't know how he would fix it, Are they hinting that she is a robot?

As for your spoiled bit, I assumed that ever since
they announced her name at E3. Aloy is one letter short of alloy, which is a mixture of metals. Robots are made of metal.

notaxation

Neo Member
Thanks. Ill make sure to skip that part.

Colin, if you're reading, please take this feedback to heart. Be more careful about spoiling games, especially when they're still a week away from release.

That five second segment isn't a spoiler even in the loosest sense of the word, but okay. I don't need advice on how not to spoil a game, nor would I spoil it. Not exactly my first rodeo. <3

graybot

Lego Worlds I'd say is one. Ghost Recon Wildlands maybe. One has an embargo "really far out", which suggests more 2 weeks away.
Heard tonight's show, they mentioned how surprised they were to have this game so early

Colin, if the game is mass effect give me no sign

That five second segment isn't a spoiler even in the loosest sense of the word, but okay. I don't need advice on how not to spoil a game, nor would I spoil it. Not exactly my first rodeo. <3

I'll have to disagree on this.
You spoil the fact that there is a twist about where/when the game takes place. It's like if you said "you wont believe who dies." I will play the whole game expecting that twist now, and will never be able to take the setting at face value. It will colour my entire experience and make it significantly less surprising when the twist is revealed.

I get annoyed at overly spoiler-sensitive people too sometimes, but I don't think that's the case here.

notaxation

Neo Member
You spoil the fact that there is a twist about where/when the game takes place. It's like if you said "you wont believe who dies." I will play the whole game expecting that twist now, and will never be able to take the setting at face value. It will colour my entire experience and make it significantly less surprising when the twist is revealed.

I get annoyed at overly spoiler-sensitive people too sometimes, but I don't think that's the case here.

Bookmark this and come back to let me know how silly this is when you play the game.

Jennipeg

I guess so, but from all the pre release stuff, that is the point of the game, to find out this big revelation about the character and the world. Plus its an RPG, its kind of expected.

Bookmark this and come back to let me know how silly this is when you play the game.

I don't know if you typically pay attention to or care about these kinds of things in games, but how's the soundtrack. Is it more of an orchestral presentation or is it more electronic/synthetic?

Sony exclusives tend to have wonderfully composed scores.

I'm extremely spoiler sensitive, so it's probably nothing (and I'm glad you clarified that it's nothing). But for me, when something is said like this, I'll now be thinking about that quote while I'm playing until it happens and it's often emersion-breaking (for me). This is why I avoid reading/listening to reviews for games and movies I'm really looking forward to (even if it's titled "spoiler-free"), so that nothing is just sitting in the back of my mind like a random turd in the bathtub. And it's why I stopped going to IGN... they'd put spoilery things in the titles of their articles and I just read one-too-many bad headlines right around the time of The Force Awakens that I needed to severe that relationship.

Not mad at you, Colin&#8212;just making sure you know that. I just put the timestamp in there for other weirdoes like me that get spoiled with the most innocent lines.

Mezoly

Yeah spoiler culture is gone nuts.

While I agree that people need to protect themselves and spoiler culture is too much. It has become impossible to avoid spoilers because of social media. I feel nowadays I get spoiled by a thousands cuts and not a single instance. Some photos on twitter, Facebook an auto gif plays on Kotako or IGN where no surprises are left. Look at Uncharted 4 It was impossible to avoid being spoiled about
Crash Bandicoot in the game
I was in media blackout but there was a non gaming friend posted a video about it on Facebook. It's not a big deal but it would've been fun to experiences it myself.
I never had a game ending or key plot spoiled to me but most cool events get spoiled eventually.

Servbot24

Banned

Sorry dude but "the game takes place in a time and in a location" is literally as generic as possible. If that's what you consider a spoiler you should not be opening any media related to the game before release. That one's on you.

I can understand getting upset by spoilers, but then don't watch stuff like this then. As a Danganronpa fan, I know not to consume any content before the game is out lol(Youtube thumbnails is a bit of a nightmare right now).

Don't get me wrong, I don't like spoilers, but people go way too far with it.

jacobeid

Banned

I have to agree with Colin on this and I haven't even played the game. Nothing sounded like spoiler territory and in general Colin is one of the best in the business at not spoiling games.
Brad Shoemaker is the worst. I still love you, Brad.

Mezoly

I have to agree with Colin on this and I haven't even played the game. Nothing sounded like spoiler territory and in general Colin is one of the best in the business at not spoiling games.
Brad Shoemaker is the worst. I still love you, Brad.

Lol or Jared Petty. Miss the guy but he was a spoiling machine on Gamescoop.

Sorry dude but "the game takes place in a time and in a location" is literally as generic as possible. If that's what you consider a spoiler you should not be opening any media related to the game before release. That one's on you.

This could be true or it could be false depending on what the revelation is. If this line had been said about the show
Battlestar Galactica,
then that's a HUGE spoiler. But it's probably not that big of a reveal in this game according to Colin's follow-up posts here.

maverick40

Colin and Greg were great at explaining how good the game is with spoilers. Well done.

Can't wait to play the game.

Colin, you going for the Platinum trophy?

Mezoly

Also these kind of stuff are usually more important to Colin than most people considering his background.

I by no means NEED to relate the a character in any fiction. It's not something I tend to seek out because I desire it so badly, but I do enjoy when I can Identify with a character. There's much value in that experience.

But I always thought it was weird to completely write off a piece of fiction just because you couldn't relate with someone. I didn't listen to the episode yet so I dont know exactly what the question entailed, just chiming in on that particular discussion.

SamNW

Lately I find myself losing my interest in video games, because I can't relate to the main character. My main issue is the sudden explosion of female protagonists. I loved The Last of Us and have been waiting forever for the sequel. Seeing as how Ellie is now the main playable character, I find myself uninterested in playing the game. I also think Horizon Zero Dawn looks like it can be a really great game but I don't want to give it a chance due to the fact that the main character is a female. I'm pretty sure there are way more men playing games compared to women, and I don't understand why developers are moving in this direction. What are your thoughts on this, and wouldn't it be more profitable for developers if they appealed to the male audience? How are Tomb Raiders' sales compared to other games in the genre that have a Male protagonist? I am not a sexist, I just want to relate to my games. Keep up your great work and don't laugh at my name!
I can't get over how unbelievably fucking stupid this question from today's episode is. The notion that there are too many female protagonists in games is totally laughable. I often think that Colin and Greg don't take a strong enough stance in favor of improving representation in games, but I'm glad that they at least fielded this question and tried to communicate to their audience that this is a bad line of thinking.

Servbot24

Banned
I by no means NEED to relate the a character in any fiction. It's not something I tend to seek out because I desire it so badly, but I do enjoy when I can Identify with a character. There's much value in that experience.

But I always thought it was weird to completely write off a piece of fiction just because you couldn't relate with someone. I didn't listen to the episode yet so I dont know exactly what the question entailed, just chiming in on that particular discussion.

Agreed, but I think it's even more worrisome when people refuse to empathize with people who are different to them, even when an inconsequential attribute is the differentiating factor in question. I honestly don't care how much people enjoy their games, but if they can't even empathize with other genders? That is fucked up.

RoKKeR

Between today's PSILY and yesterday's review they have me sitting here about to pull the trigger on a PS4, damn. Probably going to wait until later in the year for a variety of reasons, but I really can't wait to play this game.

Between today's PSILY and yesterday's review they have me sitting here about to pull the trigger on a PS4, damn. Probably going to wait until later in the year for a variety of reasons, but I really can't wait to play this game.

Shia-Labeouf-motivation-just-do-it.gif

Jennipeg

I can't get over how unbelievably fucking stupid this question from today's episode is. The notion that there are too many female protagonists in games is totally laughable. I often think that Colin and Greg don't take a strong enough stance in favor of improving representation in games, but I'm glad that they at least fielded this question and tried to communicate to their audience that this is a bad line of thinking.

What is this explosion of female protagonists he is referring to? There is Aloy, Lara, Kat, Faith, then who? Have I missed something? We are seeing more female characters, but in AAA games? No way.

Also writing off the Last of Us 2 is baffling to me. Its not like Ellie is a prissy little girl. She'd kick Nathan Drake's arse.

Wat?

I saw the posts above bewildered at the question...but that is what he said? Yeah, I'm just going to leave that one alone lol.

AmuroChan

Colin, I agree with you that Gravity Rush bombed, but I wouldn't exactly classify Tales of Berseria as "as niche as a RPG can get". The Tales franchise is a one of the bigger JRPG franchises out there. It's not FF or DQ, but it's also not anywhere as niche as Legend of Heroes or Hyperdimention Neptunia or the Atelier series either.

jf DOOM

If I would have known the game was set on the moon I would have never preordered it. I can only relate to earthling characters. Talk about immersion breaking.

Great episode think Colin and Greg walked the line of giving info but not giving too much away, now super stoked for the game, was already really excited but now so much more. Just wish I was closer to playing it, and realised i have training i can't get out of both 1st March (KFL3 ticket day and 2nd so not sure about taking any time off to dedicate to Horizon. Also the trains better not let me down on the 1st need that VIP still have last years VIP band on much to Erin's disgust.

100% agree with Colin on the stupid female protagonist question.

I always roll my eyes when somebody says he needs to "relate" to a video game character so the gender needs to be his/her own.

So fucking stupid. The game isnt about you. Never gonna understand how people are so egoistic to project themselves into every fictional character in games, movies or books.

Karu

What really tripped me over with the reader question...

Sure, he cant relate to female Charakters. Tough luck, I almost pity him. But then to have the fucking gal to ask why they dare to even include female charakters because men usually buy more videogames is just incredible.

I want to give that reader the benefit of the doubt. He is young and came to a conclusion that seemed logical in a vacuum, but maaaan... Great response by G&C.

Edit: Playing Nights in the Woods right now - led by a female cat!!! and it is pretty neat. Would be cool if one them checks it out and talks about the game.

mrk8885

Banned
Thanks. Ill make sure to skip that part.

Colin, if you're reading, please take this feedback to heart. Be more careful about spoiling games, especially when they're still a week away from release.

wow. is that the new idea of a "spoiler" ?

omg

Spoiler Alert: You're gonna like something about a game :)

_____

edit: didnt realize those posts were from yesterday. sorry for bringing it back up. still silly

phanphare

Banned

a PS4 Pro bundle with Horizon on Black Friday would be nice

SWEET!

Colin just called me out—not by name, sadly—on yesterday's Morning Show!!! I'm famous! Spoiler section: 32:00 to 32:26

I'm glad I could make you laugh. Also, Kevin vs. the Red Hat is hilarious.

Colin. Serious question about PSILY... toilet paper roll over or under?

wow. is that the new idea of a "spoiler" ?

omg

Spoiler Alert: You're gonna like something about a game :)

_____

edit: didnt realize those posts were from yesterday. sorry for bringing it back up. still silly

I don't know what said spoiler was, but sometimes I don't want to know the specifics about one likes/dislikes from a game so I can go in without a bunch of preconceived expectations on all these details. So I personally haven't really been watching much of their content at all lately for the sake of avoiding it. I avoid all the threads too. It's not a big deal if I come across these things but I'd rather not.

Top Bottom