• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Mezoly

I kind of feel IGN has changed somewhat for the worse since they left. They seem to be getting more clickbaity then before. They don't have those deep dive type of articles that Colin used to write (like his great, but unfortunately never-to-be-finished History of Naughty Dog).
I completely agree. Also their Playstation coverage sucks now. No store updates articles, or articles about game announcements that Colin used to do.

Raonak

Banned
Fucking awesome. Great name too!

Old beyond was my favourite podcast, new beyond is very mediocre, it doesn't even feel like a playstation podcast anymore. It's gotten better since they got goldfarb on, but still, it lacks the passion and enthusiasm it once had.

PS Blogcast on the other hand has really stepped up their game and become a great podcast ever since clements joined and they started getting better chemistry with each other.

Kinda Funny is great, love their stuff, but because of the way it's dolled out to free users, you get news when it's not topical anymore.
luckily this new podcast avoids that :D

Not just them, no. In fact, that's the least that's made up my opinion on him. It is mostly articles he's written for ign and the reviews he did there, too. I didn't really know he's gone through the hardships you mentioned though, and it prompted me to read up about it - and it's good to hear that he's been able to fight away the cancer after chemo.

I think he is a good writer, but I do think he's better as a personality. There's a reason so many panels at conventions keep hiring him to moderate them. He's energetic, he's engaging, and he keeps things going at a fresh pace. I've heard people (who are not necessarily fans of his) say he was one of the best, most professional, moderators they had ever seen. Years ago, I'm not sure that would've been the case. He now has so many connections in the industry. As for reviews, I think video reviews (which Kinda Funny does) are much more relatable than a written review, as they can go more in depth and have a conversation (usually two them) to get alternative reviews.

I'd blame it on the alcohol if not for the fact that it doesn't seem out of character with every other instance I've seen him in. The community found his antics to be hilarious, that moment in particular was turned into a gif and has stayed in circulation since as a highlight of his personality. Since then he's taken part in a lot of their live shows, and it kills me inside. I find his brand of humor to be particularly low-brow and I feel he tries a little too hard at times, but I can shrug off all of that. What upsets me is him throwing beer on the floor and basically saying he doesn't give a fuck because someone other asshole will clean it up for him.

Anyway, I just wanted to explain my earlier comment. Clearly people are all up in arms when you have something negative to say about the thing they like, so I'll probably go ahead and take my leave of the thread now that I've spoken my piece.
yes, I agree. there's nothing cool or funny about that at all. but everybody's got a right to enjoy what they want. if they're fans of his, more power to 'em. i'm not, but it is not my intention to rain on a parade but just to voice my own opinion which i have a right to, as do you.
I think he is a good writer, but I do think he's better as a personality. There's a reason so many panels at conventions keep hiring him to moderate them. He's energetic, he's engaging, and he keeps things going at a fresh pace. I've heard people (who are not necessarily fans of his) say he was one of the best, most professional, moderators they had ever seen. Years ago, I'm not sure that would've been the case. He now has so many connections in the industry. As for reviews, I think video reviews (which Kinda Funny does) are much more relatable than a written review, as they can go more in depth and have a conversation (usually two them) to get alternative reviews.
so you're saying in the recent history he's proven to be a good moderator and a good writer but not in the past?

yes, I agree. there's nothing cool or funny about that at all. but everybody's got a right to enjoy what they want. if they're fans of his, more power to 'em. i'm not, but it is not my intention to rain on a parade but just to voice my own opinion which i have a right to, as do you.
so you're saying in the recent history he's proven to be a good moderator and a good writer but not in the past?

No, I think he is a very good writer. But I think he was born to be a personality (featured on video, not behind a headline/byline). He used to be very rambunctious (even more so than he is now) and that was a turn off for a lot of people. I think some negative opinions people have about Greg are based off of out-of-date opinions. Someone who listened to Podcast Beyond in 2008 and was turned off by Greg and went elsewhere for video game coverage would be shocked at how different he is today.

No, I think he is a very good writer. But I think he was born to be a personality (featured on video, not behind a headline/byline). He used to be very rambunctious (even more so than he is now) and that was a turn off for a lot of people. I think some negative opinions people have about Greg are based off of out-of-date opinions. Someone who listened to Podcast Beyond in 2008 and was turned off by Greg and went elsewhere for video game coverage would be shocked at how different he is today.
I'm not saying he is a bad writer but that some of the things he writes are horribly off. His part in the podcasts didn't really bother me, but then again that might just be because there were others there to balance it out.

There's not really anything else for me to say. If you enjoy his stuff, you enjoy it. If you don't, you don't. Unless you're saying those who don't really enjoy him should give him a second chance.

sjay1994

PS I love you XOXO

Fuck, that title is too good. I dropped of beyond after Greg and Colin left, even though I like Altano and Scoville.

So I'll give this a listen.

AHindD

Sure some of the stuff Greg does is alittle off, or immature, or downright stupid, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying some of his better content (Podcast Beyond, some of his reviews, and I'm sure this new podcast).

Its like Tom Cruise, sure I think he's a scientologist-nutter, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying his movies.

I'm not saying he is a bad writer but that some of the things he writes are horribly off. His part in the podcasts didn't really bother me, but then again that might just be because there were others there to balance it out.

There's not really anything else for me to say. If you enjoy his stuff, you enjoy it. If you don't, you don't. Unless you're saying those who don't really enjoy him should give him a second chance.

I do think there are some people who might enjoy him if they gave him a second chance. There are always going to be people who just don't jive with him no matter what. And that's perfectly fine. I just always think many negative opinions can be based on false assumptions at times (like people accusing Colin of certain things because of his registered political affiliations). One such example is Dan Ryckert over at Giant Bomb. He used to have an absolute hatred of anime (that's fine, as I've given anime a chance and its not for me), but he admitted on the Bombcast last year that he had never actually watched anime. He finally watched anime and kind of finds it okay now. He finally realized his favorite thing in the world, Metal Gear Solid, has many anime-isms in it, after years of denying it.

Loved Podcast Beyond back in the day... but I wonder if these guys will be able to bring a similar feel now that Kinda Funny has gotten so big.

It's weird saying it because obviously they used to be with the largest video game journalism site, but they had a way of making them feel very small and personal with their fans

phen0m24

So glad. The new unstructured beyond is tough to listen to. I love listening to Greg and Colin and eagerly await the podcast.

This and PS Blogcast will be my 2 PS subscriptions.

You never know what Beyond is going to be about anymore

Ok lets talk for a second. What the fuck do you people have against Uncharted 3, the best game in the series?

Also how people find Greg irritating is mystifying to me. Is it that hard for you guys to like people? Do you not have any friends who are lively like Greg?

I'm just sick of reading this for so many years now.

I agree. Greg has a jovial personality and is very nice to the fans of the show. He balances Colin seriousness.

And yes Uncharted 3 is the best of the series. There I said it. The story was awesome. The patch improved combat. The music and voice acting was top notch. Yes the main villain was kind of boring but that is least of my complaint.

I agree. Greg has a jovial personality and is very nice to the fans of the show. He balances Colin seriousness.

And yes Uncharted 3 is the best of the series. There I said it. The story was awesome. The patch improved combat. The music and voice acting was top notch. Yes the main villain was kind of boring but that is least of my complaint.

I am curious to see what new Uncharted players that get the Nathan Drake Collection will think. They can beat 2 and instantly start 3. They won't have to wait two years to continue Nate's adventures.

Mezoly

I am curious to see what new Uncharted players that get the Nathan Drake Collection will think. They can beat 2 and instantly start 3. They won't have to wait two years to continue Nate's adventures.

I played all 3 uncharted games at the same time and liked 3 more than 2.

Shenmue

Banned
A right-wing Arthur Gies.

Huh? Really? Outside of their voices perhaps sounding a bit similar, I don't see any similarities.

He doesn't spout irrational hate for the Xbox (actually he constantly praises the Xbox for it's network, games, etc.)

He doesn't jump on social issues, acting like he's holier than thou, all the while making contradictory, offensive comments suggesting that he is totally disingenuous.

He doesn't talk down to his audience or his own co-hosts and refuse to back down when he's obviously wrong and then start blocking every person with a dissenting opinion. If you listen to Colin regularly, he's actually extremely appreciative of his listeners, not like Arthur who constantly makes fun of people on the internet, people on game forums, basically the exact group of people who would be listening to him on RebelFM or reading his "work" on Polygon.

He doesn't try to spout made up shit as facts and then claim that he knows better than anyone because he's in the industry.

He doesn't come on GAF make bets with people here and then welch on said bet.

So in what way is he like Arthur Gies?

Alo0oy

Banned
I feel as though someone who can speak enough japanese to translate news sources and play import games is a mandatory part of a dedicated Playstation podcast.

They definitely need a third "JRPG guy/girl". I remember they had a guest once & she seemed to know more about JRPGs than Colin & Greg but I forgot her name.

Huh? Really? Outside of their voices perhaps sounding a bit similar, I don't see any difference.

He doesn't spout irrational hate for the Xbox (actually he constantly praises the Xbox for it's network, games, etc.)

He doesn't jump on social issues, acting like he's holier than thou, all the while making contradictory, offensive comments suggesting that he is totally disingenuous.

He doesn't talk down to his audience or his own co-hosts and refuse to back down when he's obviously wrong and then start blocking every person with a dissenting opinion.

He doesn't try to spout made up shit as facts and then claim that he knows better than anyone because he's in the industry.

So in what way is he like Arthur Gies?

And, in terms of his politics, he's only right-wing when it comes to issues of the size of government and the way it spends its money. He's left-wing when it comes to social issues. And he has said (many times) that he'd lower the funding of the military (still leaving it as the most funded in the world) and be able to give NASA the funding it used to receive, as well as fund programs to foster art, culture, and creativity. One thing that could be controversial is how he thinks there should be no federal department of education, since each state his its own department of education. He feels it is redundant and a waste of money. I don't know enough on the issue to agree or disagree.

Here are his recent thoughts on the Kim Davis thing: https://www.facebook.com/appealtoheaven/posts/10102355269547759

Shenmue

Banned
You mean similarities? Yeah I'm not seeing it either. Colin may be opinionated but he is polite, well informed and balanced.

Ah yup! Thanks for the assist.

And, in terms of his politics, he's only right-wing when it comes to issues of the size of government and the way it spends its money. He's left-wing when it comes to social issues. And he has said (many times) that he'd lower the funding of the military (still leaving it as the most funded in the world) and be able to give NASA the funding it used to receive, as well as fund programs to foster art, culture, and creativity. One thing that could be controversial is how he thinks there should be no federal department of education, since each state his its own department of education. He feels it is redundant and a waste of money. I don't know enough on the issue to agree or disagree.

Yeah, but I've certainly never seen him talk about this stuff to anyone as if they were cavemen if they didn't agree with him. Which is basically the only way Arthur knows how to express an opinion.

JJP12

Just heard the news and I'm very excited about this. Beyond used to be my favorite podcast when Colin/Greg ran it. I tried to like the new beyond but it just wasn't very enjoyable. The gamescast has been decent but they seemed uncomfortable at times trying to cover topics they aren't really informed on. They sounded very excited and very passionate about this new podcast on Colin and Greg Live today. Here's to hoping it's a huge success!

Oh and I love the new podcast name.

Ah yup! Thanks for the assist.

Yeah, but I've certainly never seen him talk about this stuff to anyone as if they were cavemen if they didn't agree with him. Which is basically the only way Arthur knows how to express an opinion.

Nope. In fact, he likes to listen to opposition. It's the reason he likes MSNBC. He says he likes to see the other side. He used to have a roommate that was the total opposite of him, and yet they were able to change each others' minds on many issues by being respectful to each other and strongly providing clear and concise points. Which is the way it should be.

Shenmue

Banned
I don't get how people can listen to Greg Miller talk. Dude is so annoying. His voice hurts my ears.

Criticizing someone's voice is kind of shitty. It's not like you get to choose what your voice sounds like when you're born.

I love his voice by the way, but even if i didn't it's what someone says that matters not how their voice sounds when they say it.

Awesome! Kinda Funny Games wasn't doing it for me and even though I like new Beyond, I missed the old format with Greg hosting and Colin as a constant.

GeoramA

Sweet. This and the PS Blogcast will be my go-to's. Podcast Beyond is pretty terrible now, no passion whatsoever and they all seem pretty clueless about the history of the brand.

Sweet. This and the PS Blogcast will be my go-to's. Podcast Beyond is pretty terrible now, no passion whatsoever and they all seem pretty clueless about the history of the brand.

While I wouldn't go that far, I don't listen to it at release. I use it as an "emergency" podcast if by the weekend, I'm caught up on my regular podcasts and want to listen to something. Right now, my video game podcasts consist of Giant Bombcast, The Giant Beastcast, PSBlogCast, PlayStation Nation Podcast, and, starting next week, PS I Love You. Podcast Beyond just has no energy to it. It feels too sterile, as if it were an established brand, acquired by a company a bigger company, which ruined their investment with poor management/meddling. It's almost like a color by numbers podcast right now. I think they need time to naturally create segments, but nothing seems to be sticking for them. They stopped doing their "News Ghost" bit real quickly.

All of this Colin love in here is great. I love the man. He's so well-spoken and thoughtful in almost everything he talks about, even outside of gaming. In terms of reviews and thoughts on the industry, I'm always looking for voices in the industry to follow that I respect (even if I disagree with them on occasion). Colin is one of those guys for me, and he genuinely makes me think about things.

Can't wait to see what he and Greg do with the new show. There's some heat towards Greg in here, but Lord knows I have a soft spot for him since we share a common university.
M-I-Z!

Toli08

Can't wait to listen. Colin and Greg are the best thing going in the video game industry.
They are a perfect duo. Colin the more serious fella compared to Gregs joviality. They are also very genuine in what they do and talk about.

Which I don't get why some people are upset that they are doing a Playstation centric podcast. These guys are first and foremost playstation "experts" why force them to do something if their hearts might not be in it.

Should immediately become the best kinda funny product.

I wonder how quickly it will climb the charts. Podcast Beyond used to be #1 (wonder if it still is). It'd be interesting to see if PS I Love You can claim the top spot.

killroy87

I wonder how quickly it will climb the charts. Podcast Beyond used to be #1 (wonder if it still is). It'd be interesting to see if PS I Love You can claim the top spot.

Beyond currently isn't in the top 20. To be fair, KF Gamescast is like #83, haha. But these seem to update pretty real time. Bombcast is number two, probably bumped up because they just released a new episode. Stuff like the 1UP podcast and other defunct ones are above the KFGamescast, which doesn't make sense.

Beyond currently isn't in the top 20. To be fair, KF Gamescast is like #83, haha. But these seem to update pretty real time. Bombcast is number two, probably bumped up because they just released a new episode. Stuff like the 1UP podcast and other defunct ones are above the KFGamescast, which doesn't make sense.

Actually it makes sense to me as I believe most people watch the Kinda Funny stuff on YouTube (I often forget the audio version is even an option). Might end up being the same for PS I Love You. I will definitely watch the video version.

killroy87

Actually it makes sense to me as I believe most people watch the Kinda Funny stuff on YouTube (I often forget the audio version is even an option). Might end up being the same for PS I Love You. I will definitely watch the video version.

I mean...there are multiple years-long dead podcasts ahead of it on the charts, lol. Like Weekend Confirmed.

Nick

They're both incredibly annoying to me. I've given their show and podcasts so many chances, but I can't get over Greg's scream talking for "comedic" effect. Has this shit been toned down once he left Beyond?

Top Bottom