• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroviev

I need to buy another one of these for my daughter. She wants one and her birthday is in 2 weeks. I've been hoping for a price drop but I guess the target deal for free Unit 13 and 4g card are the best I'm gonna get. I'll play Unit 13....the 4g card is kind of useless though.

I think Wal-Mart might have some sort of bundle promotion online. Might just have to poke around the web a bit.

Afrikan

I don't know how many might be interested in this, but I found out a way to download youtube videos onto the Vita and they be playable.

http://animetoxin.blogspot.in/2012/04/ps-vita-secret-download-youtube-videos.html

it's alittle bit of a hassle to get it set up, but it works. I just hope Sony gets it crap together on proper flash support soon.

Sick! Now will this just work for youtube, or *ahem* any flash video clip on other sites? *wink wink*

I might just download all th 9ers games that are on youtube....besides the last one.

Ran rp

I don't know how many might be interested in this, but I found out a way to download youtube videos onto the Vita and they be playable.

http://animetoxin.blogspot.in/2012/04/ps-vita-secret-download-youtube-videos.html

it's alittle bit of a hassle to get it set up, but it works. I just hope Sony gets it crap together on proper flash support soon.

Just downloaded the latest FFvXIII trailer in 720p and it's all kinds of beautiful. The only problem is that it still looks like a YouTube compressed video.

bede-x

If you are sensitive to 30 fps games, it must have been hell going through every game generation since Pong up till now.

In some games, sure, but it's important to remember that games use different perspectives and not everything is affected equally. Take Sonic Generations for instance where the sidescrolling parts are horrible because of the framerate, whereas the into-the-screen is ok(though I still would prefer 60fps).

Despite the framerate I still like Sonic. Kinda.

It isn't a game that needs 60 fps and if it ran at 60 fps 80% of the time but the other 20% it was dropping from 60 to 40 like a yo yo it would look like shit.

Don't think anyone would disagree with that, but that's not really relevant in this case, where the Vita should be able to run it in its sleep. Locking it at 60 and hitting it shouldn't be a problem for the hardware.

On a handheld there is actually a tangible benefit to developers looking at their game and deciding just how much horsepower it needs. The less they push the system the less battery it uses up. Blobs definitely does not need to run at 60 fps, so setting it at a stable 30 means you can basically play through the entire thing at your leisure over a couple of days without needing to charge the system if you use sleep mode appropriately.

First of all, if you can't use the hardware specs due to battery strain, why release the machine with those specs?

Second of all, while there definitely is a correlation between pushing the hardware and battery drain, I seriously doubt that's applicable in this instance due to the relatively low tech of the game in question. I haven't coded for the Vita, but would be very surprised if changeing the framerate in a low tech 2D game would strain the hardware to such an extend, as to yield significantly lower battery time. I haven't heard people complaining about Rayman Origins'* much lower battery time or any of the other 2D games on the system.

But I might have a chance to borrow Rayman this weekend and run some tests..

Or watching every TV, movie, etc. released to date.

Not really an apt comparison since movies rarely are made as sidescrollers and use motion blur.

Before the 3D era there were far more 60fps games than 30fps games, be it on Atari, NES, Snes, Genesis, etc.

And that's actually pretty dissapointing.

*For the sake of argument I'm assuming that Rayman Origins runs at 60.

I know it's probably been answered a dozen times, but I was only able to check the OP and didn't see it - when do you retail games usually go up on PSN? Heading out to work now, but would like to try to download Mortal Kombat and didn't see it on the store.

Thanks in advance.

MooMoo

I know it's probably been answered a dozen times, but I was only able to check the OP and didn't see it - when do you retail games usually go up on PSN? Heading out to work now, but would like to try to download Mortal Kombat and didn't see it on the store.

Thanks in advance.
As far as the US is concerned, Grace Chen Time aka it's up whenever it's up; no specific time is set for PSN title release updates.

G_Berry

Banned
The COD reveal just got me thinking that maybe the version we get on vita is a port of Blops 2!

Future based COD on the move!!

JordanKZ

My 6th retail Vita game should be turning up today, Virtua Tennis 4 - World Tour Edition. I'm a huge fan of the series, so I'm looking forward to this one turning up.

danno1769

Neo Member
Has anyone traded in games to GameStop?

I'm wondering what type of return I am looking at for a few Vita games (Hot Shots Golf and Rayman to be specific)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I kinda wish Sony had put in place what MS did and limit the patch size, considering how small a lot of peoples memory cards are going to be having a patch 100mb+ seems a bit silly to me.

Anyway, how does the backing up feature work via a PC/Mac?

I know you can't just delete a game without the save so obviously backing up is the way to go if you don't want to lose anything, once you use the app to move it to a computer can you then move that file anywhere you want to, so say I moved Escape Plan onto my PC can I then stick than on an external hdd till I want to move it back?

My 6th retail Vita game should be turning up today, Virtua Tennis 4 - World Tour Edition. I'm a huge fan of the series, so I'm looking forward to this one turning up.
I almost bit on this over the weekend since I'd really like another game to play on my Vita but the game hasn't budged at all from its $40 launch price. I'll wait it out a little longer.

Number45

I kinda wish Sony had put in place what MS did and limit the patch size, considering how small a lot of peoples memory cards are going to be having a patch 100mb+ seems a bit silly to me.

Anyway, how does the backing up feature work via a PC/Mac?

I know you can't just delete a game without the save so obviously backing up is the way to go if you don't want to lose anything, once you use the app to move it to a computer can you then move that file anywhere you want to, so say I moved Escape Plan onto my PC can I then stick than on an external hdd till I want to move it back?
When you back them up they're placed into a folder that has a unique name. What I've been doing is keeping an eye on the backup folder and backing them up one at a time so that I know what folder is for what game. At the moment I have:

PCSB00096 Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
PCSB00079 Rayman Origins
PCSF00007 Wipeout 2048
PCSF00046 Motorstorm RC

However, I haven't tried to move them yet and restore. Will probably rebuild my PC within the next couple of weeks (want it nice and clean for Diablo!) so I'll find out then.

My Vita has been inside a Rice container for 3 days now (or close to it) should i still leave it in there or should i take it out?. (btw my vita fell into water)

When you back them up they're placed into a folder that has a unique name. What I've been doing is keeping an eye on the backup folder and backing them up one at a time so that I know what folder is for what game. At the moment I have:

PCSB00079 Rayman Origins
PCSF00007 Wipeout 2048

PCSF00046 Motorstorm RC

However, I haven't tried to move them yet and restore. Will probably rebuild my PC within the next couple of weeks (want it nice and clean for Diablo!) so I'll find out then.

Are these not the same numbers identifying the game on the game case? That's how the folder structure worked on the PSP...

Letep

Reviews for Mortal Kombat are looking good. Graphical inconsistencies aside, many are saying it's the definitive version.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

PCSB00079 Rayman Origins
PCSF00007 Wipeout 2048
PCSF00046 Motorstorm RC

Cheers, will have to give it a go, I might start Escape Plan just to back it up and see what happens with moving it.

Are these not the same numbers identifying the game on the game case? That's how the folder structure worked on the PSP...

Yes they are, I just had a look and the Wipeout case has PCSF 00007 on the side.
But people who bought from the Playstation Store aren't going to have immediate access to the case number without having to look it up.

Yea, I'm definitely enjoying this console a bit more than I thought I would. My only gripe is that PSOne Classic don't work on it. Has there been any word regarding that? I'd love to put FF9 and Xenogears on my Vita.

Yea, I'm definitely enjoying this console a bit more than I thought I would. My only gripe is that PSOne Classic don't work on it. Has there been any word regarding that? I'd love to put FF9 and Xenogears on my Vita.

The last comment was that the engineers are still working on it and there was an incident where a PSone game erroneously ended up on the Vita side of the store (could be downloaded, creates icon to the vita home screen, had a live area, etc but it gave an error when launched)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

The only recent thing is Yoshida saying that they are working on it, really hoping its soonish, a nice surprise for E3 maybe.

like 0.7 seconds, as soon as it hit the water i took it out.

I put a blowdrier on my PSP when that happend to me. It fell into the water playing a movie and I could see the graphics glitch out before I could take it out. I put a blowdrier on it for half an hour with everything open that I could open (slots, UMD, etc.) and then left it to dry for the night. By next day it worked again, though it took a while before the smaller buttons started working properly again.

Good chance that yours should be working again now. Check if you find any more moist evidence, and then give it a go I'd say.

I put a blowdrier on my PSP when that happend to me. It fell into the water playing a movie and I could see the graphics glitch out before I could take it out. I put a blowdrier on it for half an hour with everything open that I could open (slots, UMD, etc.) and then left it to dry for the night. By next day it worked again, though it took a while before the smaller buttons started working properly again.

Good chance that yours should be working again now. Check if you find any more moist evidence, and then give it a go I'd say.

Thanks.

Koroviev

Anyone still playing Lumines? It looks interesting, but I have some reservations about it. It seems a bit like SSD, but that's only $10. Does Lumines justify the $36 price tag?

RoylAsult

price drops!!

101-In-1 Megamix+Fading Shadows Bundle (Price Change) (PSP) (now $10.99, original price $13.99)
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich Of Time (Sale) (PS3) (now $7.49, original price $9.99)
Fading Shadows Digital (Price Change) (PS3) (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
Daxter (Price Change) (PSP) (now $9.99, original price $15.99)
God of War: Ghost of Sparta Full Game (Price Change) (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $29.99)
King Of Pool (Price Change) (PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Monochrome Racing – Minis (Price Change) (PSP/PS3) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Robin Hood: The Return Of Richard – Minis & Monochrome Racing – Minis Bundle (Price Change) (PSP/PS3) (now $4.99, original price $5.99)
Robin Hood: The Return Of Richard – Minis (Price Change) (PSP/PS3) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Stardrone Extreme Skip (Price Change) (PS3) (now Free, original price $0.99)
Trine 2 (Sale) (PS3) (now $9.99, original price $14.99)
Urbanix – Minis (Price Change) (PSP/PS3) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Zack Zero (Price Change) (PS3) (now $7.99, original price $12.99)
StarDrone (PS3)(now $3.99, original price $7.99)

wish the first GOW would be changed to 10 -.-, but i might check out Daxter now, but i only have 404MB left on my 4GB. feel like im going to have to get a new Mem card very soon lol

Koroviev

Damn, should have purchased the SSD bundle. I was going to, but only saw the base game and figured the bundle was a 3G bundle exclusive or something. Sony should really take a page from Steam and list alternative offers on the store page.

Endless is more or less the only solid mode in the DLC pack, right? $8 sounds like a ripoff, would be nice to just be able to upgrade to the bundle /:

Darknight

price drops!!

101-In-1 Megamix+Fading Shadows Bundle (Price Change) (PSP) (now $10.99, original price $13.99)
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich Of Time (Sale) (PS3) (now $7.49, original price $9.99)
Fading Shadows Digital (Price Change) (PS3) (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
Daxter (Price Change) (PSP) (now $9.99, original price $15.99)
God of War: Ghost of Sparta Full Game (Price Change) (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $29.99)
King Of Pool (Price Change) (PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Monochrome Racing – Minis (Price Change) (PSP/PS3) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Robin Hood: The Return Of Richard – Minis & Monochrome Racing – Minis Bundle (Price Change) (PSP/PS3) (now $4.99, original price $5.99)
Robin Hood: The Return Of Richard – Minis (Price Change) (PSP/PS3) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Stardrone Extreme Skip (Price Change) (PS3) (now Free, original price $0.99)
Trine 2 (Sale) (PS3) (now $9.99, original price $14.99)
Urbanix – Minis (Price Change) (PSP/PS3) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Zack Zero (Price Change) (PS3) (now $7.99, original price $12.99)
StarDrone (PS3)(now $3.99, original price $7.99)

wish the first GOW would be changed to 10 -.-, but i might check out Daxter now, but i only have 404MB left on my 4GB. feel like im going to have to get a new Mem card very soon lol

I think there is a new PSP bundle of Daxter and Ratchet Secret Agent for $15 or so. Not sure. But thats cheaper if you were looking to owning both games.

anddo0

Did everyone get their free Skype minutes?
NewBitmapImage2.jpg

So do we have a consensus on what the best grip for the Vita is? Looking to buy one so I was just wondering...

I have two, this cheapo Bluecell one:

31BHfnPWrHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and the Japanese Hori one I imported from PlayAsia and mentioned a few posts back. Honestly, the BlueCell one is totally sufficient. It's not super sturdy, but it doesn't block any ports and it stopped my hand from cramping when playing Rayman or Ys, which is all I wanted. The Hori one is nicer, but not nice enough to justify the cost of importing. The Bluecell one is $7 on Amazon, so it's not a huge investment.

The CTA Digital one has good reviews on Amazon, but it blocks ports so that kept me from trying it.

RoylAsult

I think there is a new PSP bundle of Daxter and Ratchet Secret Agent for $15 or so. Not sure. But thats cheaper if you were looking to owning both games.

ill keep that in mind, wanted to always check that game out. Along with Size matters, game was so much harder then it had to be because the aiming/camera was terrible.

If these games get a drop to 10 each i can see myself getting more of these, now just need something bigger then 4gb

So do we have a consensus on what the best grip for the Vita is? Looking to buy one so I was just wondering...

The CTA grip has great reviews and has longer handles than the PDP/official one. But the problem is you have to take it off to switch game cards or to charge. I'm getting it on Amazon ($13).

Okay, I have a question. I know that you can copy full game downloads and apps to pc, than back onto your memory card. I want to know if it's the same way with game saves. Specifically, can I copy a save onto PC, then copy it onto a different (bigger) memory card, and play where I left off from?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Okay, I have a question. I know that you can copy full game downloads and apps to pc, than back onto your memory card. I want to know if it's the same way with game saves. Specifically, can I copy a save onto PC, then copy it onto a different (bigger) memory card, and play where I left off from?

As far as I know the only save files you can copy are PSP games, Sony seemed to have decided to go the iOS route and everything is tied to the app bubble, which means no separate saves and as such the whole thing has to be backed up or transfered if you want to keep the save.

So while you can't move a save, I would assume from what I have played with that you can back up the whole app bubble to a PC or PS3 and then put that onto a different memory card without a problem.

Damn. I just got Mortal Kombat, but all I have is a 4gb card. That means that I have to wait for my bigger card to come through Amazon and anything I do now in the game won't be saved.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Damn. I just got Mortal Kombat, but all I have is a 4gb card. That means that I have to wait for my bigger card to come through Amazon and anything I do now in the game won't be saved.

Do you not have room on a computer or PS3 to copy the game to and then back onto your new card when it arrives?

Do you not have room on a computer or PS3 to copy the game to and then back onto your new card when it arrives?

What? I said anything that I do now in the game won't be saved (unlocking characters, stats, story mode, etc). It technically will be saved on my dinky 4gb card, but it will be useless once I get my new memory card since you just said in the last post that I can't transfer saves from card to card. Correct? This has nothing to do with copying full games. Or is the save and game one piece, and I am able to transfer it only as a whole?

Edit: just so you know, I don't have the digital version of the game, I have the retail cartridge, so that probably makes a difference, too.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
What? I said anything that I do now in the game won't be saved (unlocking characters, stats, story mode, etc). It technically will be saved on my dinky 4gb card, but it will be useless once I get my new memory card since you just said in the last post that I can't transfer saves from card to card. Correct? This has nothing to do with copying full games. Or is the save and game one piece, and I am able to transfer it only as a whole?

Edit: just so you know, I don't have the digital version of the game, I have the retail cartridge, so that probably makes a difference, too.

I think you read my reply wrong, you can move saves, but they are part of the data it installs on your card as a whole instead of being separate.

Using Uncharted as I have the retail version as an example.
It installs some data on my memory card along with any updates etc. which is what the icon represents (it is like 140MB or something at the moment), it will always be there even if you take the game out, I can move all of that over to my computer and then back onto either the same or a different card either with a PS3 or PC.

The same goes for downloaded games, but you have to move the whole game too.

So your MK data is fine, everything is stored in that bubble, so once your new card arrives just copy that data to a computer or PS3, take your old memory card out and put in the new one, then plug your Vita in and copy that data back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom