• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno394

Many Thanks, Just sold my currently 3DS for £120 (sorry Nintendo, i'll re-buy around Christmas) and got a canadian Vita for £140; the joys of ebay!

It seems the minis games offered by Playstaion Access aren't compatible with the PS Vita. What a shame! Is there a full list of minis compatible with the PS Vita? Thanks !

Wait for pics if you have no clue what I am on about and of course do at your own risk. Also beware, lots of dust....I used a kitchen knife but you'd want something smaller if you want to be precise about it.

Looking forward to your tutorial. I'm getting this grip in the mail.

Does anyone know the specifics of the Vita's battery? Is it going to be like an Apple product, where once the battery is dead, you have to mail the whole vita to Sony for them to replace it?

ElNino

But don't worry i'm not a Vita hater but a demanding Vita owner :p
I would like people to stop calling a native rez screenshot "blown up". A blown up screen shot is a capture at a bigger rez, like when we see giant 3ds screens. But here, it's not blown up, it's just exactly what it is. And again, the Vita as a huge screen and if you're not playing with your arms amazingly stretched, you'll see everything. Even micro native rez aliasing in Virtua Tennis, is noticeable.
I think the problem with the direct screen grabs is that an image with that resolution on a monitor will likely be bigger than what the screen is on the Vita. When I view the direct grabs on this page alone, on my monitor they are much larger (and worse looking) than on the Vita itself.

In this case, I think "blown up" is the correct term to use. The image might be the same resolution as it is natively, but the size of the image is bigger ("blown up") than it would be as shown on the device.

orioto

Good Art™
I think the problem with the direct screen grabs is that an image with that resolution on a monitor will likely be bigger than what the screen is on the Vita. When I view the direct grabs on this page alone, on my monitor they are much larger (and worse looking) than on the Vita itself.

In this case, I think "blown up" is the correct term to use. The image might be the same resolution as it is natively, but the size of the image is bigger ("blown up") than it would be as shown on the device.

Contrary to what people would like to think, the actual strengh of the Vita screen is that it's so sharp and precise that having the picture smaller doesn't mean you got less details. You get every details, meaning what you see on a bigger tv, you'll see it on the vita screen...

Wonko_C

Speaking of Mortal Kombat, I would've preferred lower detail on the backgrounds just to get the characters to have their shaders/specular maps back. When playing our attention is centered on the characters so I don't get why didn't they make some parts of the background 2D or something like Capcom does.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not really. A PS1 game accidentally went up on the Vita store some weeks ago though, which had custom PS1 art for the LiveArea but wouldn't boot up so I think it's safe to say that it's coming out very soon.

I still think they're probably holding it for a "surprise announcement" at E3.

KillGore

Uncharted...

vs

6826401688_eab1a565e5.jpg

I mean it doesn't take a genius to figure out that showing an image bigger makes it look worse and showing it smaller makes it look better... but, at the same time, we had a ton of not-geniuses going off of absolutely gigantic pictures of MK and deciding it looked absolutely terrible...

Damn, the picture on the bottom looks beautiful while the top looks like vomit.

VanWinkle

These direct captures can definitely give off the wrong vibe, though. For instance, Little Deviants (say what you will about the actual quality of the game) has exceptional image quality. I would love to see a nice 3D platformer using this engine. Anyway, I was shocked when I took pictures of it and it looked like this.

ibdefjXl5vVOq0.jpg

This looks blurry, almost even sub-native res. But on the actual Vita, it looks brilliant, IQ wise. So I do think that these shots can give off the wrong impression to people who hadn't played the game yet.

Koroviev

These direct captures can definitely give off the wrong vibe, though. For instance, Little Deviants (say what you will about the actual quality of the game) has exceptional image quality. I would love to see a nice 3D platformer using this engine. Anyway, I was shocked when I took pictures of it and it looked like this.

ibdefjXl5vVOq0.jpg

This looks blurry, almost even sub-native res. But on the actual Vita, it looks brilliant, IQ wise. So I do think that these shots can give off the wrong impression to people who hadn't played the game yet.

This is very true. I remember seeing the screenshots from Uncharted when the Vita launched and they looked absolutely terrible. I think the best demonstrations of the Vita are those that compare the Vita to the PSP in photos. It really emphasizes the vibrant colors.

I agree about the image being "blown up" when posting on GAF. I agree the Vita has a big screen and games running at native res will look a lot better. However, when I view screen grabs here on GAF that aren't Quoted They are like 2-3 times larger that what my Vita screen is and thus it doesn't look as good. The thing about PS3 and 360 games is that they share the opposite problem for me, screens look way more detailed on my smaller laptop screen than blown up on my 50" screen when playing.

The fact of the matter is Resolution is only half of the picture, no pun intended, the other half is screen size and viewing distance. The screen grabs posted here on GAF are so large that the vita would have to be played mere inches from your face to be that size. Just like a TV sure you could tell the difference between 1080p and 720p a foot away but at ten feet away when the picture is now smaller you won't be able to tell the difference. So while yes the screen grabs my be the right resolution they are being shown at a size they weren't intended for. I have a 15" laptop and the screen grabs people are posting fill my entire screen....that's not how big it is on the Vita.

K701

Banned
Alright UPS guy just delivered mk vita.

Not a fan of games running on less than native res (I thought uncharted looked like poo) but with this game since the characters are animated so wildly and are always moving, it looks like it has no AA instead of it running at a lower res (except for the HUD)

Also all the menus are native res so the whole package looks good. With UMVC3 it felt like they resized the menus in MSpaint.

It's honestly a great looking game.

orioto

Good Art™

ibdefjXl5vVOq0.jpg

This time i agree, it's indeed more blurry than the real game. Let's admit those screen grab looks more blurry then, but it makes the aliasing problems even worse on Vita.

well... I called up sony for a refund for hot shots tennis... got put on 'case by case review' or something.

Expect nothing less from them I guess. Everything is needlessly complicated lol.

But I guess it's still better than 'no refunds' that's probably somewhere in the user agreement.

It's odd that a game that was known for vita exploit does not actually work on vita o_O.

Koroviev

well... I called up sony for a refund for hot shots tennis... got put on 'case by case review' or something.

Expect nothing less from them I guess. Everything is needlessly complicated lol.

But I guess it's still better than 'no refunds' that's probably somewhere in the user agreement.

It's odd that a game that was known for vita exploit does not actually work on vita o_O.

It's always case-by-case. Took them about a week to get back to me. If you don't hear from them in a week, then call again. If they make an error with respect to copying down your email address or something, they'll just pretend you never contacted them.

FireCloud

The screengrabs are at the native Vita resolution of 960x544.
Your "smaller" pics are at a downsampled to 500x283.

Obviously all games will benefit from being on the smaller OLED screen of the Vita with much higher DPI but to me, the native shots are fair.

I think the native res shots are only "fair" if you stand far enough away from your monitor so that the image size is somewhat similar in size to holding the Vita at normal playing distance.

Saying the larger images (native res) are fair would be true only if you play with the Vita screen a few inches away from your face.

Even then, the Vita's OLED screen will still probably look better than your monitor unless you have an OLED monitor.

Edit: I see the point has been made several times since the post I replied to. Horse == Dead.

I think the native res shots are only "fair" if you stand far enough away from your monitor so that the image size is somewhat similar in size to holding the Vita at normal playing distance.

Saying the larger images (native res) are fair would be true only if you play with the Vita screen a few inches away from your face.

Even then, the Vita's OLED screen will still probably look better than your monitor unless you have an OLED monitor.

This.

Like I said above Resolution is only half of it. Screen size and distance are equally important when it comes to IQ

Persona 4 Golden on October 23th is a placeholder right? I was browsing VG+.ca and it said 23th for P4G and 24th for Virtue's Last Reward... if true my wallet will cry :D

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I had a quick look earlier, but are there any Metroidvania style games on the Playstation store that can be played on the Vita, I know the PSP had a Castlevania with The Dracula X Chronicles but it doesn't seem to be on the UK Playstation store which is a real shame.
Love me some Metroidvania, lol.

Bollocks

So whenever I connect my Vita to the PC, the touchscreen becomes unresponsive.
If I unplug the cable everything is back to normal!? Never had this happen to me

ReaperXL7

Persona 4 Golden on October 23th is a placeholder right? I was browsing VG+.ca and it said 23th for P4G and 24th for Virtue's Last Reward... if true my wallet will cry :D

I saw this too, and it's possible that it is a place holder, but with a fall release window it's also very possible that it's the real date. Won't know until other retailers, or Atlus confirm it though.

It's always case-by-case. Took them about a week to get back to me. If you don't hear from them in a week, then call again. If they make an error with respect to copying down your email address or something, they'll just pretend you never contacted them.

well... got my refund. Took a few hours. not too bad.

Wonder if I can still use this hot shots tennis game that I have on my ps3 =P

ReaperXL7

that's weird it was said to work, it was even used in the hack lol Anyways you guys remember that soul sacrifice thing is coming soon

Sony is having it's own conference on the 10th, makes me wonder if we will see anything else, or get more information from it, because unless Sony thinks this is going to be huge I can't seem them having a conference for one Vita game.

The early art looks awesome, i'm looking forward to see whats up with it personally. It would be great is Sony announces PS1 support aswell, but if they do it would probably be just for Japan, atleast until E3.

cyborg009

Banned
Sony is having it's own conference on the 10th, makes me wonder if we will see anything else, or get more information from it, because unless Sony thinks this is going to be huge I can't seem them having a conference for one Vita game.

The early art looks awesome, i'm looking forward to see whats up with it personally. It would be great is Sony announces PS1 support aswell, but if they do it would probably be just for Japan, atleast until E3.

the art does look interesting and soul sacrifice concept seems cool as you can tell from monsters that they look very humanoid so maybe they were once humans?

anyways if this is going be like gaming heaven...........ugh

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
the art does look interesting and soul sacrifice concept seems cool as you can tell from monsters that they look very humanoid so maybe they were once humans?

They did announce a pretty big deal in the form of pso2 in game heaven though. That is nt a bad thing imo. It is just the format of the thing which needs to be worked on.

ReaperXL7

Yeah it's possible, It's hard to tell anything really from what we have seen, but it's easy to see from the art why some people get a Demon's Soul vibe from it. I think it would be a pretty cool concept to have a sort of Demon's Souls/ Monster Hunter hybrid with a magic based focus, but we will have to wait to see whats up their sleeves. The 10th is close though so not too much longer.

Also, yes I agree that the gaming heaven thing was misguided to an extent (even if i'm excited for some of the announcements, PSO, and Inafune's game), but I think this is different. From what i've read this will actually be a conference with press attendance, atleast thats the way it was described. Which is why while Soul Sacrifice might be the main attraction, I think there will be other things shown aswell. Either way it's obviously something that Sony has some faith in.

cyborg009

Banned
They did announce a pretty big deal in the form of pso2 in game heaven though. That is nt a bad thing imo. It is just the format of the thing which needs to be worked on.

it was nice they announce PSO2 but they ruined it by saying 2013

Yeah it's possible, It's hard to tell anything really from what we have seen, but it's easy to see from the art why some people get a Demon's Soul vibe from it. I think it would be a pretty cool concept to have a sort of Demon's Souls/ Monster Hunter hybrid with a magic based focus, but we will have to wait to see whats up their sleeves. The 10th is close though so not too much longer.

Also, yes I agree that the gaming heaven thing was misguided to an extent (even if i'm excited for some of the announcements, PSO, and Inafune's game), but I think this is different. From what i've read this will actually be a conference with press attendance, atleast thats the way it was described. Which is why while Soul Sacrifice might be the main attraction, I think there will be other things shown aswell. Either way it's obviously something that Sony has some faith in.

they are having it at Tokyo International Forum is that somewhere big?
http://andriasang.com/con0px/soul_sacrifice_site/

that's weird it was said to work, it was even used in the hack lol

Anyways you guys remember that soul sacrifice thing is coming soon

So easy for them then. Instead of patching out the exploit, just patch out vita functionality!

Anyhow, OP should update topic.

Now I got $20 around...

I notice that dissidia 012 got a price drop to $20. Any big improvements over the first one? I recall it being pretty much a fancy package that's pretty much tug of war.

cyborg009

Banned
So easy for them then. Instead of patching out the exploit, just patch out vita functionality!

Anyhow, OP should update topic.

Now I got $20 around...

I notice that dissidia 012 got a price drop to $20. Any big improvements over the first one? I recall it being pretty much a fancy package that's pretty much tug of war.

ya and also includes the first game as well

Moofers

How are the odds of a price drop looking these days? People in the E3 prediction thread seem to think it'll happen at the Sony conference, but I think it might be too early.

I've got a trip at the end of this month and I'd love to have a Vita for it, but if there's a drop coming, my PSP Go may just have to get the job done. Thoughts?

How are the odds of a price drop looking these days? People in the E3 prediction thread seem to think it'll happen at the Sony conference, but I think it might be too early.

I've got a trip at the end of this month and I'd love to have a Vita for it, but if there's a drop coming, my PSP Go may just have to get the job done. Thoughts?
I don't think we'll see any price drops before this fall. Until then there is going to be plenty of memory card pack-ins and other good deals from retailers.

Bollocks

Yeah fuck my Vita died, whenever I connect the USB cable the touchscreen becomes unresponsive for whatever reasons even when I charge it with the adapter.
Can't start the content manager/navigate shit unless I disconnect the cable then the touchscreen is working fine again.
I would really like to know why

I don't think we'll see any price drops before this fall. Until then there is going to be plenty of memory card pack-ins and other good deals from retailers.

Personally, I think the game/memory card pack-ins will be what we get for holiday 2012 pricing incentive. Sony are really good at sitting tight on the pricing of "under-performing" hardware for the first year or more; they're not likely to suddenly get all panicky with the Vita just because a few people on GAF have been crying "VITA is DOOMED!" from the virtual battlements. Sony know the system will sell as they continue to release the games their target audience (you know, the "hard core" who want to play FPSs everywhere) wants, and when there are lulls in the 3DS software release line-up. I think they also know that time is ultimately on their side. The hardware is good enough to last another 7 or 8 year run, like the PSP. As things stand, they have some good games out, some more coming, and they aren't losing money, which makes the Vita okay to support as a slow burn...

On a side note, though I haven't got too far into it, I'm loving the Story Mode in Mortal Kombat. Haven't played an MK game since the PSP version, so this is a lot of fun! Plus, I got it for only $20 (bought a $40 used copy of Arkham City at Best Buy using a Gamer Zone email 50% off coupon, then walked over to Future Shop and traded it for MK Vita on their Trade 1 Get It Free promotion. Sweet!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom