• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

I agree with the final part, but if you are sensitive to framerates, you can't not notice it. I understand that a lot of people don't see these kinds of things and kind of envy them, but for us that do, it does detract from the experience. It's like there's two of every line and you can't focus anywhere, whenever something moves.

And the worst part is that there's really no reason why it's limited to 30 fps. The Vita should be capable of running this in its sleep.

Everything being equal, in what way could it possibly benefit from a lower framerate?

If you are sensitive to 30 fps games, it must have been hell going through every game generation since Pong up till now.

Drek

Everything being equal, in what way could it possibly benefit from a lower framerate?
In that its pretty much locked at 30 fps. It isn't a game that needs 60 fps and if it ran at 60 fps 80% of the time but the other 20% it was dropping from 60 to 40 like a yo yo it would look like shit.

On a handheld there is actually a tangible benefit to developers looking at their game and deciding just how much horsepower it needs. The less they push the system the less battery it uses up. Blobs definitely does not need to run at 60 fps, so setting it at a stable 30 means you can basically play through the entire thing at your leisure over a couple of days without needing to charge the system if you use sleep mode appropriately.

If you are sensitive to 30 fps games, it must have been hell going through every game generation since Pong up till now.

Or watching every TV, movie, etc. released to date.

Koroviev

In that its pretty much locked at 30 fps. It isn't a game that needs 60 fps and if it ran at 60 fps 80% of the time but the other 20% it was dropping from 60 to 40 like a yo yo it would look like shit.

On a handheld there is actually a tangible benefit to developers looking at their game and deciding just how much horsepower it needs. The less they push the system the less battery it uses up. Blobs definitely does not need to run at 60 fps, so setting it at a stable 30 means you can basically play through the entire thing at your leisure over a couple of days without needing to charge the system if you use sleep mode appropriately.

Or watching every TV, movie, etc. released to date.

It is nauseating when the camera pans around too fast in a film.

Still cannot get enough of Gladiator Begins...it's stealing all the time away from Rayman for crying out loud.

A nice technical fighter, love the customisation and sense of progression.

sun-drop

Yep. It's incredibly well made but holy shit do I suck at chess. Even after beating all the tutorials and completing a bunch of the challenges a game against the easiest CPU opponents usually ends in a stalemate. I suck at the endgame. :(

yeh reminds me of hustle kings ... super slick.

first time i've played chess in years though .. so went down twice to the AI ..... the asynchronous "play by mail" mode is a brilliant idea though ... just fired a move of to the only guy on my mates list with the game ... will see if he sent me a move later.

gotta add here again how great the vita OS is ... so easy to pop out, check yr messages, pop back to the game ... you may or may not like the bubble icons, but the OS does it's job re muiltitasking and snappyness. sure it's not on par with say android in that area but then again i wouldn't want 5 or 6 apps running in the background while my vita tried to run uncharted ..

sun-drop

does pure chess do cross platform play with the ps3 version?

even though it's really cheap ... kinda wish it was one of those motorstorm buy one get the other free deals :/

JordanKZ

Decided to pick up SSD. It's past 3 in the morning, but I don't want to stop playing :(

Super Stardust Delta is everything great... and everything terrible about Stardust. It's probably got the best 'main' section of any of the three Stardust games. But my god those trophies for the mini games will drive you insane. I still have 2 bronze trophies to get on that game.

BigDug13

Well to be fair, that is 20% slower at 24 fps.

I'm fairly certain when I whip my head around to look at something behind me (pan around quickly), I'm not seeing too many frames from point A to point B.

I hope Sony gets a clue and advertises this over here on PS3 and Vita, especially Vita.

It's getting a UK only retail release. Might actually be the reason for the announced daily of the game. I doubt they want to release it on PSN before it goes retail. I guess they are delaying the NA copy to if that's the case. :/

I agree with the final part, but if you are sensitive to framerates, you can't not notice it. I understand that a lot of people don't see these kinds of things and kind of envy them, but for us that do, it does detract from the experience. It's like there's two of every line and you can't focus anywhere, whenever something moves.

And the worst part is that there's really no reason why it's limited to 30 fps. The Vita should be capable of running this in its sleep.
This is the reason why I'm not going to buy it now, I'm not completely against playing 30 fps games if there's some technical justification for it, but if developers are going to sabotage their game's playability for no reason whatsoever then they can fuck off. I won't buy any PC game which is limited to 30 fps, either.

GorillaJu

This is the reason why I'm not going to buy it now, I'm not completely against playing 30 fps games if there's some technical justification for it, but if developers are going to sabotage their game's playability for no reason whatsoever then they can fuck off. I won't buy any PC game which is limited to 30 fps, either.

It seems crazy to me that you're so quick to assume there isn't a technical reason, rather that Drinkbox just wanted to "sabotage" their game's playability out of bitter, cold hearted spite. Where's the logic in that?

Maybe they tested it a whole bunch and decided they thought it felt better at 30fps?

Benedict

Your loss junior...

AwRy108

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
Hmmmm...when i go to delete the Uncharted icon it says all associated data will be deleted. I dont want to risk it so i will just try backing it up. This is such a goddamn pain. I wish we had a little more information on what data is tied to actual game carts or accounts.
Sorry, i missed this quote earlier (maybe it has already been answered by someone else).

Yeah, if you delete the Uncharted icon, it will also delete the save games unfortunately. I'm not 100% if taking a backup will backup the saves, but i'm 99% sure :)

I'm also not sure if there is a way in the Vita OS to tell if a game saves on the cartridge itself or on the Vita memory card. It says on the game boxes if a memorycard is needed, so i guess this is the only way.

It's only 30 fps. It doesn't bother as much as in a fast game like Sonic Generations, but it is still very noticeable.
I see. The game feels very fluid for me, i had no problem with it.

In Sonic Generations i noticed the framerate at once i started to play it. But in Mutant Blobs, if someone asked me if the game was 30fps or 60fps, i honestly wouldnt be able to say, at least from my memory with the game (it have been a few weeks since i last played it).

That also changed with DSi, XL and 3DS. ;)
DS Lite as well, and probably the first DS "Phat" too i guess.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So my memory card finslly came this morning which meant i could start playing some games, picked up Escape Plan with the money off voucher that was in the pre-order box along with Plants vs. Zombies, I already have the iOS version but I thought why not as its a great game.

Uncharted it pretty cool, took a while to get used to the analog sticks compared to a full size controller but I'm getting there, lol, the motion controls for slight adjusting your aim is pretty sweet, I hope other games start using it too.

As for the Vita itself, whoever did the browser should be shot, at this point I really don't know why Sony hasn't brought in a browser developer, Google, Mozilla, Opera, take your pick and had them sort out a modern browser for both the PS3 and Vita.
Also not liking the lack of an iOS/Andoid style autocorrect, its a pain to have to move back and correct something when the software is so basic.

It's getting a UK only retail release. Might actually be the reason for the announced daily of the game. I doubt they want to release it on PSN before it goes retail. I guess they are delaying the NA copy to if that's the case. :/
Ah fair enough, didn't know it was only a UK release currently.

Wonko_C

z3DYV.jpg

Before the 3D era there were far more 60fps games than 30fps games, be it on Atari, NES, Snes, Genesis, etc. This is why I preferred International SuperStar Soccer Deluxe over FIFA on the Snes because the former was 60fps and the latter only 30fps.

What's it like going to see a movie at a crawling 24fps for gods sake?

uh... what about battery life? Is that a good enough techinical reason?

I've had a lot of video games make me nauseous over the years (Ocarina of Time being one of the worst offenders, Arkham Asylum being one of the more recent), but I have never had that happen to me watching a movie...

As for the Vita itself, whoever did the browser should be shot, at this point I really don't know why Sony hasn't brought in a browser developer, Google, Mozilla, Opera, take your pick and had them sort out a modern browser for both the PS3 and Vita.

This is probably my biggest complaint with the Vita. Granted, I wasn't expecting much, but I was at least expecting something usable.

SmokyDave

This is probably my biggest complaint with the Vita. Granted, I wasn't expecting much, but I was at least expecting something usable.

I wish they'd just used the resources to get PSOne games up & running on the Vita instead. There's no need for a browser in this post-smartphone world.

Koroviev

What's it like going to see a movie at a crawling 24fps for gods sake?

uh... what about battery life? Is that a good enough techinical reason?

I've had a lot of video games make me nauseous over the years (Ocarina of Time being one of the worst offenders, Arkham Asylum being one of the more recent), but I have never had that happen to me watching a movie...

A good example is at the very beginning of The Secret World of Arriety. There is a panning shot and everything is just a blur. It's impossible to follow at 24 fps. Same for a lot of the running sequences in Lord of the Rings.

So my memory card finslly came this morning which meant i could start playing some games, picked up Escape Plan with the money off voucher that was in the pre-order box along with Plants vs. Zombies, I already have the iOS version but I thought why not as its a great game.

Uncharted it pretty cool, took a while to get used to the analog sticks compared to a full size controller but I'm getting there, lol, the motion controls for slight adjusting your aim is pretty sweet, I hope other games start using it too.

Also not liking the lack of an iOS/Andoid style autocorrect, its a pain to have to move back and correct something when the software is so basic.

Ah fair enough, didn't know it was only a UK release currently.

It should be getting an NA release at the same time but that may now be dependent on the uk retail release.

Salaadin

God of War Ascension has me thinking about the series and I realized that I never played Ghost of Sparta.
Does Ghost of Sparta work on Vita?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
God of War Ascension has me thinking about the series and I realized that I never played Ghost of Sparta.
Does Ghost of Sparta work on Vita?

Yes and its friggin awesome, just bought it last week for 7,99€ - what a bargain.

Koroviev

Super Stardust Delta is everything great... and everything terrible about Stardust. It's probably got the best 'main' section of any of the three Stardust games. But my god those trophies for the mini games will drive you insane. I still have 2 bronze trophies to get on that game.

The trophies do seem pretty difficult to achieve.

I ordered the Japanese Hori case from PlayAsia and it arrived this morning. You guys weren't kidding, it smells SO BAD. I had to put it back in the package because I'm at work. I'll let it air out when I'm at home.

I also picked up this grip because I have problems with my hands cramping when I play handhelds:

pa.216461.1.jpg

It seems ok. The grips actually extend down, so once they're down its sort of ergonomically similar to a DS3 controller, so that's nice. Otherwise it's pretty no frills. There's a lock on the top to keep the Vita in place and it does block the two top ports when it's in lock position, but the bottom charging/usb port and headphone jack are unobscured. The back touch pad also seems easily accessible too. I'll test it more when I get home.

arimanius

Had a really scary moment last night on my vita. Every game/app I tried to launch kept giving me a corrupt error message. A couple wouldn't even bring up their live screen. It then gave me the insert a game message even when there was already one in the unit.

I powered it off but it wouldn't turn back on. the PS button would turn blue blink a couple of times then go off. I finally got it to turn back on by removing the game that was in it (The show) and everything appears to be working again.

Hopefully it won't happen again. I was afraid I was going to have a $250 paperweight.

Ponn

Banned
Why isn't the Vita a shmup machine yet? I can think of all kinds right now that would look beautiful on this system and some similar titles that would look just as good. Plus you could hold it vertically.

SmokyDave

Why isn't the Vita a shmup machine yet? I can think of all kinds right now that would look beautiful on this system and some similar titles that would look just as good. Plus you could hold it vertically.

I can't decide if I'm surprised that the Cave iOS stuff hasn't been ported. On the one hand, I'd love to see them and I'd happily double-dip. On the other hand, I can't see what's in it for Cave.

Koroviev

I ordered the Japanese Hori case from PlayAsia and it arrived this morning. You guys weren't kidding, it smells SO BAD. I had to put it back in the package because I'm at work. I'll let it air out when I'm at home.

I also picked up this grip because I have problems with my hands cramping when I play handhelds:

pa.216461.1.jpg

It seems ok. The grips actually extend down, so once they're down its sort of ergonomically similar to a DS3 controller, so that's nice. Otherwise it's pretty no frills. There's a lock on the top to keep the Vita in place and it does block the two top ports when it's in lock position, but the bottom charging/usb port and headphone jack are unobscured. The back touch pad also seems easily accessible too. I'll test it more when I get home.

I was going to pick up a travel case to compliment the carrying case, but couldn't find one that wasn't overpriced/malodorous. My solution has been to place the Vita in the carrying case in a small messenger bag with a few other non-lethal-to-Vita objects (i.e. wallet, headphones, microfiber cloth, etc.). Working quite nicely so far.

Ran rp

Does the color shifting of the Vita screen bother anyone else as much as it does me? I love that it has fantastic viewing angles but the constant shifting between cool/warm tones is really irritating.

Number45

I can't decide if I'm surprised that the Cave iOS stuff hasn't been ported. On the one hand, I'd love to see them and I'd happily double-dip. On the other hand, I can't see what's in it for Cave.
They've been focusing on a fairly nice audience so far this gen (Japanese 360 owners), why not keep that going? :p

Pretty sure it's still like $30 lmao.
Yeah, SCEA hasn't been kind with the PSP price drops. I almost bought this last week, until I stumbled onto it in my download list already. I thought I'd bought the physical version.

Syn23

I want to play a Patapon on my Vita, which one should I get?
I've only played the first one for an hour or so, some years ago.

Would it even look good on the Vita? Most of their games aren't even retina resolution on iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom