• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panda Rin

I got my Vita in on Tuesday, and I think it's a great handheld. Before today, I've only been able to play demos on it and send messages. I think it feels way better than the PSP did, and I love the screen. There is one annoying thing, though. When I had ordered my PS Vita 3G over the phone from the Sony Store, I was promised to get Uncharted: Golden Abyss for free. It was on their site as a promotion, but I didn't get it along with my Vita. I had been calling them since Tuesday and they kept giving me the run around, till today when I had enough. Today they kept on telling me that there was no such promotion in April, and that I couldn't get the free Uncharted: Golden Abyss. I kept telling them I saw that the promotion was there for a good while, but they didn't believe me. They somehow left the game off of their "promotion board" thing they have. After getting upset about that, I just decided to go ahead and buy Uncharted at Best Buy. I haven't played much of Uncharted, but from what I have it looks great. I love how touch is used in the game, it's pretty neat.

They might have been referring to the promotion where if you get a contract through AT&T, you get a free game.

Panda Rin

I've never owned a PSP before and I'm really craving some RPG goodness. I so far have Persona 3 and Ys Seven. Are there any other games people would recommend to download?

Never had any kind of wifi problem with mine. Doesn't rule it out, but I don't remember hearing complaints about it before.
Thanks for the response. I checked on the official playstation forums, and apparently I'm not alone. There's some people out there that have their Wifi connection not work after a bit or have it drop completely. That's strange that some people have it working, like you do, while others like me have issues. Very strange.

Check your idle timeout to see if it makes a difference. I think you can set as long as 10 minutes.
There's an Idle Timeout option on the Vita?

They might have been referring to the promotion where if you get a contract through AT&T, you get a free game.
Which wouldn't make sense, since it says on the little sticker on the front of the Vita box, that the free game with the AT&T contract expired on March 31, 2012. The guy on the phone was listing all of the other promotions that the Sony Store had/is having, but didn't bring up the free Uncharted promotion in April. It was like it never existed. Though, it did... Wario64's Post

Glix

What do we have to do to get the Monster Boy collection on VITA?

I will do it! I will do anything!

Lastline - don't let them get away with that bullshit

Lastline - don't let them get away with that bullshit
I tried. I kept telling the guy on the phone that the woman I was communicating with while purchasing the Vita told me three times that I would get the free Uncharted with the PS Vita. I asked her precisely if I was going to get the game in the case along with the Vita, and she told me yes. The guy told me today that he doesn't know what was said when I was purchasing the Vita, even though they supposedly record most calls. I don't know, I just don't think that you should have a promotion on the site, have the woman who is on the phone selling me the system telling me that I get Uncharted for free, and then yet I don't get the game for free. I had to go out and buy the game I wanted so bad that I should have gotten fore free. *sigh* I only went with the Sony Store because a Vita 3G with free Uncharted was hard to pass up. I learned my lesson, though. I guess if I have to go with anyone else but Amazon online, that I have to print screen everything before I purchase something.

I've never owned a PSP before and I'm really craving some RPG goodness. I so far have Persona 3 and Ys Seven. Are there any other games people would recommend to download?

Trails in the Sky! As long as you don't mind a slow start and a fairly laid-back pace, it's wonderful.

ReaperXL7

it's sort of a hybird game, but if you like Final Fantasy I would highly recommend Dissidia 012 duodecim. It's bascially a Fighter/RPG hybrid, has an story mode with a traverseable overworld, a ton of great characters, lots of content, and it looks great on Vita.

I honestly was not sure to think of it before I bought it, but my love of FF won out, and I could not be happer with it. Well...I could be if they announced a new one for Vita that takes advantage of the hardware, but who knows if that will happen(I doubt it).

Koroviev

it's sort of a hybird game, but if you like Final Fantasy I would highly recommend Dissidia 012 duodecim. It's bascially a Fighter/RPG hybrid, has an story mode with a traverseable overworld, a ton of great characters, lots of content, and it looks great on Vita.

I honestly was not sure to think of it before I bought it, but my love of FF won out, and I could not be happer with it. Well...I could be if they announced a new one for Vita that takes advantage of the hardware, but who knows if that will happen(I doubt it).
iirc, the Dissidia team pretty much said they were done with it :(

If you like 16 bit sprites, FFIV looks incredible on dat OLED.

Isn't that version 32-bit?

branny

I'm going to use my vote to push Tactics Ogre.

iirc, the Dissidia team pretty much said they were done with it :(
There still might be hope for a spiritual successor to the Dissidia games if that other rumor of a 2v2 battler or whatever by the same team comes true. =\

Eusis

Check out Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. A lot of us love it, even if the start is a bit slow.

Also, I have to ask, does anyone's Wifi stop working after a while?

My Vita seems to have an incredibly weak antenna. If I am even one room over from my router the signal is terrible. I have at least 10 other devices in my house using Wifi and none of them have any issues what-so-ever. It sucks because it is a portable system yet I have pretty much have to be in my bedroom to play Ridge Racer online.

Ponn

Banned

Usual suspects, FFIV Complete, FF tactics war of the lions and Tactics Ogre. I haven't played TiTS yet but heard that was good.

I also recommend Jeanne D'arc, the Disgaea games. Lunar and Valkyria Chronicles 2 for the gameplay.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm sure she said medicine, not that one or other makes much of a difference in the bizarreness of that sequence! (Not to mention 'dat ass' shortly afterwards)

Ah, my bad. It was pretty out there, though, but it gets dead serious soon afterwards.

I bought Y's Seven, my first ever Y's game, a few days back. Forty five minutes of play and I still don't know where the fuck im going. I got off a boat and have been wandering this town like an idiot. I think im supposed to go to the inn, but when i go in there nothing special happens.

laika09

Isn't that version 32-bit?

It's an up-port of the GBA version (which was an up-port of the WonderSwan Color version which I think was nearly a full remake of the SNES version), so I guess you could call it 32-bit. I don't know what the PSP instruction length is.

I meant 16-bit as an art style though.

Grinchy

Banned
I absolutely agree, it's one of those games that I feel is really better suited to a portable console. It was fine on consoles, it just feels better to me on the Vita.

Yeah, I don't know what it was, but I didn't really think much of the PS3 demo. I kinda wrote the game off after trying it. I downloaded the Vita demo on a whim and loved it. Bought the game in a B2G1 sale.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I absolutely agree, it's one of those games that I feel is really better suited to a portable console. It was fine on consoles, it just feels better to me on the Vita.

It's basically the same game outside of a few forgettable additions (never even found any hidden relics), but it does look damn good on the OLED and the Vita's dpad is far, far better than anything on a current gen console's gamepad. If it wasn't for the lack of local multiplayer and the rare but noticable framedrops, it would be the best version of the game.

Ein Bear

The problem with the Vita version of Rayman Origins is that it doesn't have any multiplayer co-op like the console versions do. The game is so much more fun when you play it through with a friend.

ReaperXL7

This is probably the best place to ask this, it's just a hypothetical question though as I'm sure it would be some kind of nightmare for Sony to attempt it, but i'm curious how difficult it would be for Sony to put the entire PS1 catalog of games onto PSN?

I can only imagine it might be impossible because of licensing, companies no longer exsisting, and a ton of other reasons, but I don't know this whole no PS1 support is strange to me. It was on the PSP, and the tech here (while great) does not seem like it would have a hard time handling PS1 emulation. So I guess i'm hoping against hope that the reason for it not being there yet has to do with them adding alot more games to it.

Hell i'd even kill to get my hands on a bunch of PSP games that are not on either PS3, or Vita PSN, like Star Ocean 1+2. I'm not going to lie though, i'm fully expecting Sony to push HD PSP-->Vita collections at some point. It would be nice if they would put Phantasy Star Portable 2 back on the store.

Ponn

Banned
Don't think they need to bother with the whole PS1 catalog but there are some glaring omissions. Some could be redone to take advantage of the touchscreen like Elemental Gearbolt.

There is no excuse for the PSP library not being up there. There's only a few I would buy HD Vita remakes of like Crisis Core and.Birth by Sleep.

cyborg009

Banned
This is probably the best place to ask this, it's just a hypothetical question though as I'm sure it would be some kind of nightmare for Sony to attempt it, but i'm curious how difficult it would be for Sony to put the entire PS1 catalog of games onto PSN?

I can only imagine it might be impossible because of licensing, companies no longer exsisting, and a ton of other reasons, but I don't know this whole no PS1 support is strange to me. It was on the PSP, and the tech here (while great) does not seem like it would have a hard time handling PS1 emulation. So I guess i'm hoping against hope that the reason for it not being there yet has to do with them adding alot more games to it.

Hell i'd even kill to get my hands on a bunch of PSP games that are not on either PS3, or Vita PSN, like Star Ocean 1+2. I'm not going to lie though, i'm fully expecting Sony to push HD PSP-->Vita collections at some point. It would be nice if they would put Phantasy Star Portable 2 back on the store.

They do need handle the PSP collection on Vita and have sells like steam

Epcott

I had always thought Sony was attempting to put most of the PS1 library on PSN (starting first with blockbusters). But now, I don't know. That idea slowly diminished over time, since the PS1 classics have slowed to a trickle. I don't see it happening (at least, not the entire library).

I'm getting pretty annoyed with the limited store on the Vita myself. The Minis selection is borked.

I searched for 2 Minis titles: Hero of Sparta and Thexder Neo, and they're not there. I would download them to my PS3, but there's no guarantee they're playable (I tried it with Pix N Love and that doesn't play on Vita either). It's frustrating.

Don't think they need to bother with the whole PS1 catalog but there are some glaring omissions. Some could be redone to take advantage of the touchscreen like Elemental Gearbolt.

There is no excuse for the PSP library not being up there. There's only a few I would buy HD Vita remakes of like Crisis Core and.Birth by Sleep.

It's a shame those aren't in the store. Not to mention when a game like God Eater Burst isn't even showing up in the Vita store as well.

as with everything out of Sony, it's 1 step forward, 2 steps backwards. 5 steps sideways.

I just pretty much take ever 'news' out of Sony with a grain of salt.

I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than be sorely disappointed or 'WTF ARE THEY THINKING?' all the time ;P

RoylAsult

From European PSBlog:
X2QJc.png

why is resistance still only in Europe :(

Ok I ended up buying Legend of Heros, I loved the first 2 on the PSP so I should like this one. I really need a bigger memory card though 4GB just isn't enough for anything lol.

ClaDun!!! Not your typical Nippon Ichi fare, ie Disgaea and ZHP, but it's got some serious old-school charm and some interesting party (to use the term loosely) and combat mechanics coupled with a pretty quirky personality.

Haven't checked out ClaDun X2 yet, but the customization options I've seen of it look pretty beefy.

EDIT: Both go for $19.99USD via digital download and are available without transferring via PS3.

TheBear

Disgaea has amazing gameplay. But unless you like super wacky japanese storylines, you'll be skipping most the story. Its humorous at times and never takes itself seriously.

There is a demo for Wipeout as well.

Thanks for the replies guys. I really enjoyed the demo for Wipeout, I might give it a shot when it inevitably drops in price. As for Disgaea, how does it compare to say, Jeanne D'Arc?

Koroviev

Thanks for the replies guys. I really enjoyed the demo for Wipeout, I might give it a shot when it inevitably drops in price. As for Disgaea, how does it compare to say, Jeanne D'Arc?

If you check the buy/sell/trade thread, you might be able to score a cheap copy of Wipeout. I saw a few people trying to sell copies.

I bought Y's Seven, my first ever Y's game, a few days back. Forty five minutes of play and I still don't know where the fuck im going. I got off a boat and have been wandering this town like an idiot. I think im supposed to go to the inn, but when i go in there nothing special happens.

Have you talked to the blue haired girl in the center of town yet? If not, talk to her, then leave the town center and immediately go back to the town center to trigger the next event.

Number45

That's the only negative in the game, but it's a pretty big one. Not only is it sometimes hard to tell what it is that you've not yet done to miss out on the right path, but you may have screwed something up near the beginning of a chapter! It can take a long time before it leads you to a bad end and may not be instantly recognizable as the wrong thing to do. That alone wouldn't be so bad, but couple it with the way you can't skip dialogue or cutscenes that you've just watched and it gets pretty terrible =[
Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I really went in blind on this one (all I knew is that it's creepy/graphic and has great sound design) so it serves me right. I can only assume that
reading the newspaper
fucked me up, but YOU CAN'T TELL ME NOT TO DO SOMETHING AND EXPECT ME TO OBEY! :'(

Ah, my bad. It was pretty out there, though, but it gets dead serious soon afterwards.
Yeah, so I found out! :'(

Anyhoo, I'll try and be clever in how I go about saving at least within a chapter. I assume once you move on to the next chapter I can just start a new game each time at that chapter if necessary?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So what is GAFs general consensus, wifi or 3G model?

3G makes way more sense for an iPhone with the thousand of apps you might want to use on the go. Vita not so much.

It's 50$ (or less depending on actual bargain sales) for being future proof.

Worst case even if you don't use that 3G you still get GPS for 50$ which isn't that much of wasted cash for console which you will use for next 3-4 years.

If you get wi-fi now and 3G turns out to be usefull later your only option to upgrade will be buying new machine and reselling old.

I don't regret getting 3G (but i pay 20 euros for 3 months and 6 gigs of data ;) )

Three months in and I'm still trying to figure out how near works. Is it always triangulating your position on WiFi, even if you're not connected to a specific wifi network?

I went to a Playstation event on Tuesday and never took the Vita out of my bag yet I got a near hit.

7174375066_d51399670b_c_d.jpg

A couple of months ago, I went on a business trip to Israel. I couldn't get my Vita to connect to the wifi in the hotel at all while I was there yet when I came back and connected to the wifi at home it showed that I had traveled to Israel and gave me some discoveries from that region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom