• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita US Launch Details (Launch Games, Accessory Pricing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't know if I should get the vita at launch or not. I should be able to play valkyria chronicles 2 on it right? And 3 if it gets localized?

Raine

Maybe I'll buy the Hori screen protector. It seems to have a nice installation procedure. I always buy these things and I fuck it up and just throw it away. Maybe that one will work.

I notice an increased interest for the Vita over the last couple of days on here. Nice to see.

LegoDad

Nope, Gorilla Glass means you don't need to worry about a screen protector. I've been using iPhones for 5 years without a single scratch.

The Vita will obviously need one, since it's crappy plastic.

Pfft, believe what you want, but Iphones scratch very easily.

LegoDad

To all the people who talk about screens, gorilla glass, this and that -- do you not use screen protectors normally? It's fine if you don't, I'm not trying to troll, I just genuinely want to know.

Personally, I don't care how tough something is supposed to be -- if it is a screen, it's getting a screen protector the second it comes out of the box. I put a Sony protector on the Vita, and I don't even notice it is there.

Do you use the full-front body Hori screen protector or the Sony one that only covers the screen?

Does that answer your question?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
How many times can I re download a vita game on PSN?

I would hope unlimited like on iOS

As long as you don't exceed 2 PSPs/Vita activations. But you can deactivate via their online account management site once a year.

But yes, you could redownload unlimited times.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
How many times can I re download a vita game on PSN?

I would hope unlimited like on iOS
You can redownload it as many times as you like, but you can only have 2 portable systems (PSV/PSP) and 2 PS3's tied to your account at any given moment. If you want to play the game on a 3rd portable/PS3 system you'll need to deactivate one of the first 2 systems.

LegoDad

no, no they don't.

They don't get the big scratches without effort but they do get cosmetic scratches, and if you like a perfect screen, they are a pain in the ass to keep from getting any scratches. The iphone only has a scratch resistant coating, it isn't scratch proof and it isn't gorilla glass.

LegoDad

Oh crap, I need to read carefully. Thanks.

I was considering the Hori over the Sony, because having the edges of the screen protector visible kinda sucks when the screen almost seamlessly blends into the body of the unit.

I've thought about the Hori as well, but if people have issues just putting a simple one down, I don't want to see how much trouble they have trying to line up the buttons and analog sticks with a dry application screen protector.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No screen protector on my phone here. Got a Samsung Focus with gorilla glass, and it's pretty hard to scratch unless your actively trying to. Plus Gorilla Glass 2.0 was announced at CES which provides just as much protection with a thinner lighter piece of glass which should allow for more response.

I'll fully admit until I had a phone with it I thought it was some BS marketing stuff. Now that I have it and use it everyday it's like some mystical voodoo I want on all of my devices.

Tobor

They don't get the big scratches without effort but they do get cosmetic scratches, and if you like a perfect screen, they are a pain in the ass to keep from getting any scratches. The iphone only has a scratch resistant coating, it isn't scratch proof and it isn't gorilla glass.
Yes, it is. Apple is Cornings largest customer for GG.

I really couldn't care less about scratches anymore. I was super anal about my iPad when I first bought it but it's now covered in small scratches. With the screen on, you'd be hard pressed to find one of 'em.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So are all games going to be available via DD? I want to grab Katamari and Hot Shots right away. Probably going to get the system preordered on Monday.

Takuan

Could've sworn I read something bad about the Hori protectors doing something wonky after a month. It was definitely somewhere in this thread; maybe it was for another accessory?

I've owned every iPhone. Never had a scratch, cosmetic or otherwise, on my screen. On the back of the older models yes, but never on the screen. And I don't baby my phones. They're in my pocket with my keys. Dropping them on the ground is probably a nightmare, but I've yet to do that.

btkadams

it says in steve jobs' biography that the iphone uses gorilla glass.

- J - D -

I've thought about the Hori as well, but if people have issues just putting a simple one down, I don't want to see how much trouble they have trying to line up the buttons and analog sticks with a dry application screen protector.

Application eems simple enough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbTdaKHfpN4

I really couldn't care less about scratches anymore. I was super anal about my iPad when I first bought it but it's now covered in small scratches. With the screen on, you'd be hard pressed to find one of 'em.

That's funny. I never saw the point in getting screen protectors for tablets. No scratches on my ipad 2 and I've had it since last august. Do you throw yours into a bag or backpack without a case?

I'm still on the fence about getting a screen protector for the Vita. Not sure if I'll need it. The only times when I think I could scratch the screen is when wiping it. larger specs of dust scare me.

NeOak

Vita.png

I'm not interested in the launch titles and PSP2 is no longer on PSN so I'm about to cancel this.
FU Sega

Can anyone please give me a reason why I should buy this now instead of summer?

Skilletor

Vita.png

I'm not interested in the launch titles and PSP2 is no longer on PSN so I'm about to cancel this.
FU Sega

Can anyone please give me a reason why I should buy this now instead of summer?

Why would anybody buy a console with no games they want?

Slime

Banned
Its performance in Japan and the 3DS situation are other things to factor in if you're not sold on the launch lineup. If it doesn't fare better internationally we could have another price cut situation on our hands. Right now I'd stay far away just to see how it performs if there's not already something drawing you to it besides shiny new toy lust.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I doubt Sony is in the right position to cut the price as drastically as Nintendo has and in such a short period of time. If things are bad, they'll weather the storm for at least a year.

Slime

Banned
Probably. Still, I think the 3DS's first 6+ months are a good cautionary tale of potential post-launch disappointment, especially since the Vita is pretty much destined for an even bumpier ride.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Probably. Still, I think the 3DS's first 6+ months are a good cautionary tale of potential post-launch disappointment, especially since the Vita is pretty much destined for an even bumpier ride.

Vita has a way better launch lineup though. At least if we're still talking about why would you buy this now.

Slime

Banned
I was speaking mostly in the context of people like NeOak who aren't satisfied with the launch lineup. Like I said, if you aren't already satisfied it makes the most sense to wait.

Eusis

There's also the angle of WANTING the launch lineup games... but not too much. If Gravity Daze were at launch it'd be open and shut case, that's a game I'd REALLY like to play, but everything that's out there I'm interested in is either not a series I've typically been THAT big of a fan for (Uncharted, Wipeout), or are ports that either will be cheaper elsewhere or I already waited quite awhile on anyway (Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Rayman Origins). Seems more practical to give an extra few months, let the stuff I REALLY want come out, then grab those along with hopefully cheaper launch titles.

Could've sworn I read something bad about the Hori protectors doing something wonky after a month. It was definitely somewhere in this thread; maybe it was for another accessory?

Mines been on my PSP for over 5 years. Hori is top quality. The same one is still on mines.

Slime

Banned
There's also the angle of WANTING the launch lineup games... but not too much. If Gravity Daze were at launch it'd be open and shut case, that's a game I'd REALLY like to play, but everything that's out there I'm interested in is either not a series I've typically been THAT big of a fan for (Uncharted, Wipeout), or are ports that either will be cheaper elsewhere or I already waited quite awhile on anyway (Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Rayman Origins). Seems more practical to give an extra few months, let the stuff I REALLY want come out, then grab those along with hopefully cheaper launch titles.

That's how I feel too. I think Vita's launch (and launch window) lineup is impressive in that a lot of the games seem pretty decent, there's a lot of variety, and they're all hitting around the same time, but very few of them are games I would otherwise rush out to buy. From a purely minimalist standpoint there's maybe 3 or 4 launch window titles I absolutely must have at some point, but even out of those there's only one (Gravity Daze) that I feel an overwhelming desire to play ASAP. Then there's quite a few other ones I wouldn't mind checking out to pad out my library, but honestly if there are better games out by the time I get a Vita I might not even revisit any of those.

When the Vita was announced and my hype was at maximum I felt almost obligated to get one at launch and buy all the games I even kind of wanted, but thankfully for my wallet I've come down from that pre-E3 hype/post-E3 high. I'll be getting a Vita at some point because I buy every platform (and I can't wait for Gravity and Ys IV), but I'm just not feeling the "force myself to buy stuff just to showcase on my shiny new hardware" bug I had a few months ago.

Twinduct

Having reworked my budget, I decided to wait on buying any launch games. At this stage I'm more excited about the hardware, and the bc library of psp games. I actually ended up pre-ordering the unit + the a 16 gig card. Will see how things goes from there =)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If the Vita is anything like the PSP I wouldn't buy one near launch if I didn't really like the games.

Besides a couple used for early firmware hacking most near launch titles became incredibly cheap for the PSP just a year out.

sun-drop

Nope, Gorilla Glass means you don't need to worry about a screen protector. I've been using iPhones for 5 years without a single scratch.

The Vita will obviously need one, since it's crappy plastic.

since when did any iphone use gorilla glass? those things shatter at the slightest bump.

Toki767

since when did any iphone use gorilla glass? those things shatter at the slightest bump.

I think they've always used it. Which is why I always wonder how my friends end up shattering their screens. Particularly everyone with a 3GS.

Edit: Oh nevermind. Apparently Apple uses their own type of glass. No wonder.

dab0ne

As it stands this costs too much for me. Gonna hold out as long as I can and wait for the price drop. It's worth the money I just don't have it XD

DBT85

GG isn't shatter proof anyway its just very hard to scratch compared to other materials.

On the flip side, I bounced my DHD from about 4ft the other day with no problems because its got a plastic screen which flexes. Any glass screened device would almost certainly have shattered because glass doesn't do flexing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom