• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Guys, can you buy PSP games that are not on the Vita store through your PS3 and install them? I've always wanted to play MediEvil Ressurections.

JWong

Banned
there were no English settings :/

I should play it more - need to finish up some other games first

Ah, I mean the trophies.

If they developed the game with North America release in mind, there would be a set of English language trophies if the Vita's system language was set to English (probably US English).

If the trophies don't show English, it means it only has Japanese and defaults to Japanese on any unsupported language.

Since trophy language doesn't change with the system language, you would have to format the Vita/PS3 in order to install a new trophy language. I'm not willing to do that for a game. -_-

Barrett2

Main thing we need in an OS patch is to keep me signed in to PSN / Near. Its ridiculous that I constantly have to manually sign in to both of those as separate Apps. If im' connected to WiFi, don't sign me out, damnit!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Main thing we need in an OS patch is to keep me signed in to PSN / Near. Its ridiculous that I constantly have to manually sign in to both of those as separate Apps. If im' connected to WiFi, don't sign me out, damnit!
It's designed to conserve battery life.

They SHOULD offer the option to stay signed in, however.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Little Deviants sucks, but that one balloon game that makes you turn Vita vertically... Oh man, I really wish some good games are made for this that play in vertical mode. Ikaruga or other shooters or some pinballs would be so amazing.

Question about the 3G service for the vita in NA.

Where do you go to find info on the price plans? I went to the AT&T site and there is a list of like 20+ options for data plans, and i'm not sure which would be good for the Vita.

Trying to give a friend a price range for the Data plans

patsu

Question about the 3G service for the vita in NA.

Where do you go to find info on the price plans? I went to the AT&T site and there is a list of like 20+ options for data plans, and i'm not sure which would be good for the Vita.

Trying to give a friend a price range for the Data plans

I believe it's called the Tablet plan. There should be at least 2 choices:
250Mb and 3Gb.

IMACOMPUTA

Little Deviants sucks, but that one balloon game that makes you turn Vita vertically... Oh man, I really wish some good games are made for this that play in vertical mode. Ikaruga or other shooters or some pinballs would be so amazing.

Since the browser and OS are entirely touch based, i don't know why it doesn't auto rotate so you can browse webpages/etc in portrait mode. I hope they patch that in.

patsu

Make it happen !

Anyone have issues connecting their Vita at Starbucks wifi?

Yes. In my case, it was resolvable.

After you connect to StarBucks WiFi, go to the web browser immediately. Try to access any website, the "Terms of Agreement" page will show up. Tap "Ok" and you'll have full network access.

The "Ok" button can be tricky/slow though. I had to try 5-6 times before the "Ok" button registered my tap.

Make it happen !

Yes. In my case, it was resolvable.

After you connect to StarBucks WiFi, go to the web browser immediately. Try to access any website, the "Terms of Agreement" page will show up. Tap "Ok" and you'll have full network access.

The "Ok" button can be tricky/slow though. I had to try 5-6 times before the "Ok" button registered my tap.

Thanks!!!

I though it was my cat making those sounds!
Mystery solved!

Off topic, but in Battlefield 3 multi-player, on the Seine Crossing map, there's background sounds of cats meowing. I'm constantly taking off my headphones thinking my cat is in distress.

Guys, I've been meaning to check in on this: are your PS Vita's buttons a bit wobbly? Mine move about a little beneath my finger if I make circular motions. It's not a big deal (my old PSP was the same) I just wanted to check that it's a common thing.

The buttons are springy and clicky when pressed, they just wobble if I move them beneath my thumb. I'm presuming it's the same for all Vitas?

Yes. It's the same for all Vitas, PSPs, DSes, controllers, etc. I don't think you'd want them rigid and only pressable in straight up-down direction.

Mrbob

I finished Golden Abyss last night, really enjoyed the game. The game initially gives a bad impression, but really starts to pick up after the first couple chapters and keeps accelerating. Going from about chapter 21 to the end of the game is a complete blast! Some of the forced touch stuff is frustrating but didn't bother too much because I was engrossed with the adventure. Golden Abyss felt like going on a real adventure too instead of moving from one high octane set piece to another like Uncharted 3. Don't get me wrong, I love all the Uncharted games but UC3 moved too much into trying to be a movie first and a game second. Didn't have the balance UC2 had, nor as good of a balance as Golden Abyss. I'd rate them in this order:

1) UC2
2) Golden Abyss
3) UC3
4) UC1

My hunt for collectible items waits, as Rayman Origins is next!

see5harp

It's designed to conserve battery life.

They SHOULD offer the option to stay signed in, however.

It's still not clear to me that messages would still push notifications, even if you stayed connected. To receive messages do you have to keep the app open always in the background? If so they need to integrate messaging/party/friends as a single, always on background app. Otherwise sending invites on this platform is useless.

Since the browser and OS are entirely touch based, i don't know why it doesn't auto rotate so you can browse webpages/etc in portrait mode. I hope they patch that in.

I was thinking the same thing. Holding it in portrait mode would be much more comfortable while browsing would almost be like a mini tablet at that point.

I couldn't wait anymore Gaf. I caved and bought the vita a memory card and uncharted.

I just beat uncharted last night. Quite a fun ride and locals get fairly varied in the second half of the game. I also beat Uncharted 3 recently and man I have a way higher headshot count on Golden Abyss. Gyro aiming is pretty great for stop and pop shooting.

Also there are so many freaking collectibles. The black market is slick too.

SHarris78

When you buy/download from the PSN store, why does the buy/download button stay orange? I can't tell what i've bought/downloaded without going through the Vita to find it. Surely they can grey out the button once you've bought/downloaded an item?

Cookie18

I was so sad before I noticed that MGS cancellation tweet was not from a real account. MGS on Vita is one of my most anticipated titles.

patsu

When you buy/download from the PSN store, why does the buy/download button stay orange? I can't tell what i've bought/downloaded without going through the Vita to find it. Surely they can grey out the button once you've bought/downloaded an item?

I thought you'll see a small "PSN Shopping Bag" symbol in the game icon if you have already purchased the game ?

oops maybe you have newer info. i personally didnt have any issues with it last wednesday

No, I haven't tried yet. It may be AT&T's workflow that's screwing up, not the web page itself. I guess I'll find out later when I activate mine.

mj1108

There's a little icon next to it if you've bought/downloaded it already.

you should try to do it from the vita. it takes you directly to where you need to be

sorry...its $15 fro 250mb and $30 for 3gb, then there are some others that cost more

I believe it's called the Tablet plan. There should be at least 2 choices:
250Mb and 3Gb.

Thanks! I only have a wifi version so I didnt think I could shop for 3G, I've just been looking into things for a friend.

Another question, this ones about the play the ps3 anywhere. Is it actually legit (which I don't think is accurately depicted in the commercials) or is it just for the cross game play? And if so how does that work?

(I should probably be asking this in the noob threads)

Shadybiz

I've heard too many good things...I caved and bought VT4 on my lunch break. Can't wait to pop it in and be pulverized by this AI I keep hearing about!

SHarris78

I just checked. On Vita, the symbol is beside the price of the game.

On PS3, it's "attached" to the corner of the game icon.

Thanks for that. Normally i'd remember what i've downloaded, but the last items i downloaded were about 10 different packs for Ridge Racer over 3 separate play sessions. Kept forgetting whcih ones i'd downloaded and which i hadn't!

patsu

Another question, this ones about the play the ps3 anywhere. Is it actually legit (which I don't think is accurately depicted in the commercials) or is it just for the cross game play? And if so how does that work?

(I should probably be asking this in the noob threads)

PSVita Store has a new "Cross Play" category for games that can cross play with PS3. These games may also allow you to pay once and get both the PS3 and Vita versions.

Technically, they are different. e.g., MLB 2012 supports cross play, but I don't know if Sony has an MLB 2012 offer for pay-once-play-on-both yet.

I haven't tried them yet, so I can't tell you how it works. ^_^

EDIT: Hope this link helps...
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-games-pay-just-once-to-play-on-both-systems/

Ken

What does it mean when the system is in standbye and the PS button flashes either blue or orange?

Lights up blue The system is on (including when power is being supplied).
Blinks in blue The system is entering standby mode.
Blinks slowly in blue There are new notifications, such as those generated when messages arrive.
Lights up orange The system is charging, either in standby mode or when the system is turned off completely.
Blinks in orange The system is charging, but the battery charge is too low to turn on the system.
In this case, wait until the PS button lights up orange.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/basic/partnames.html

I know it's been asked, but is NGS+ worth the price? Gonna need something after Uncharted.

Fuck yes, as far as I'm concerned. Very smooth despite the constant whining that it's 30 fps, very sharp IQ and as fun (and hard) to play as ever. Plus the 76 Ninja Trials along with the campaign will keep you busy for a while.

As for me, I'm itching to buy another game. Bought UMvC3 and love it, though it basically confirmed that if there's one type of game I truly suck at is fighting games.

Still, was contemplating getting either Blazblue or The 3rd Birthday. Opinions on either are very welcome.

I am now the King of Welcome Park!

As a former gamerscore whore, the Vita is really what may get me to switch to my PS3 full time. Earning trophies on the go is very addicting.

I'm having the opposite problem. I put it to sleep and then when I come back to it I see the PS button is blue and my battery has drained significantly.

If I put you to sleep stop wasting mah batteries!

The PSP had a Wifi switch, that was very convenient actually. I don't think the Vita has anything like that. How the hell do I put this thing to sleep for a long period of time without draining all the battery?

The PSP could last for weeks on sleep. I distinctly remember that as a huge advantage over the DS light I'd borrow from my brother that I'd blink red while on sleep and then shut down and lose all my progress.

patsu

I am now the King of Welcome Park!

As a former gamerscore whore, the Vita is really what may get me to switch to my PS3 full time. Earning trophies on the go is very addicting.

What's in Welcome Park ? Is it good ?

I fired the app up, but swiped into the games and web browser immediately. Haven't played it one bit. ^_^

Skilletor

Fuck yes, as far as I'm concerned. Very smooth despite the constant whining that it's 30 fps, very sharp IQ and as fun (and hard) to play as ever. Plus the 76 Ninja Trials along with the campaign will keep you busy for a while.

I know it's been asked, but is NGS+ worth the price? Gonna need something after Uncharted.

Always funny when people say it's "whining" about a lower FPS than any other version of the game available. Lowered expectations, I guess.

It is fun, though. If portability is a major plus, get it. Otherwise I'd say it's the worst version of the game to date. But, that being said, it's still one of the best action games ever, even at 30fps. I'm enjoying my time with it, but that's because being portable is its major draw for me.

MrMephistoX

As for me, I'm itching to buy another game. Bought UMvC3 and love it, though it basically confirmed that if there's one type of game I truly suck at is fighting games.

Still, was contemplating getting either Blazblue or The 3rd Birthday. Opinions on either are very welcome.

Feel free to add me for UmvC3. I'm generally decent with most fighters but get destroyed online with UMvC3. I'd say go with the 3rd Birthday and try to master Marvel: Blazblue has a higher learning curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom