• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightz

What's in Welcome Park ? Is it good ?

I fired the app up, but swiped into the games and web browser immediately. Haven't played it one bit. ^_^

Just games to get your used to the features of the system. The hook is that the games have trophies. =P

Ken

Feel free to add me for UmvC3. I'm generally decent with most fighters but get destroyed online with UMvC3. I'd say go with the 3rd Birthday and try to master Marvel: Blazblue has a higher learning curve.
Should get some Vita Marvel lobbies going, but I think timezones might make it difficult.

My PSN is nya_08 if anyone wants to play Marvel.

I really need to start learning BB if P4U is similar to it.

Kuren

I finished Golden Abyss last night, really enjoyed the game. The game initially gives a bad impression, but really starts to pick up after the first couple chapters and keeps accelerating. Going from about chapter 21 to the end of the game is a complete blast! Some of the forced touch stuff is frustrating but didn't bother too much because I was engrossed with the adventure. Golden Abyss felt like going on a real adventure too instead of moving from one high octane set piece to another like Uncharted 3. Don't get me wrong, I love all the Uncharted games but UC3 moved too much into trying to be a movie first and a game second. Didn't have the balance UC2 had, nor as good of a balance as Golden Abyss. I'd rate them in this order:

1) UC2
2) Golden Abyss
3) UC3
4) UC1

My hunt for collectible items waits, as Rayman Origins is next!

I have to agree with this too. I'm in the latter half of Uncharted Golden Abyss, and it's MUCH better feeling, paced, etc than the first half. The first half feels like the experience is fumbling and constantly struggles with all the features and things they're trying to throw at you. But with the 2nd half of the game, it feels a lot more like an Uncharted experience allowing you to really get into the game without being constantly interrupted by tutorials, NIS', or minigames. I haven't finished it yet but so far the 2nd half has been really engrossing relative to the first half.

AND, believe it or not, the 2nd half is a lot more visually impressive than the first.

Hello everyone,

I want to buy a ps vita. I do have a couple of questions.

1) Can you buy games from psn?

2) Can you buy psp games that are not on the vita store through your ps3 and install them?

3) If you do buy games from your psn, say if it gets deleted or whatever, do you have to buy them again?

4) What is the size of the memory stick that comes with the vita?

5) And do I have to get the 3g vita or no?

codhand

Hello everyone,

I want to buy a ps vita. I do have a couple of questions.

1) Can you buy games from psn?

2) Can you buy psp games that are not on the vita store through your ps3 and install them?

3) If you do buy games from your psn, say if it gets deleted or whatever, do you have to buy them again?

4) What is the size of the memory stick that comes with the vita?

5) And do I have to get the 3g vita or no?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464270

Always funny when people say it's "whining" about a lower FPS than any other version of the game available. Lowered expectations, I guess.

Sorry, but it bothers me when some people talk about it like it's the end of the world when it's actually fine. Others read that and believe it's horrible.

It's not lowered expectations, it's looking at things the way they really are. It plays well, it's responsive, smooth and it looks great.

Feel free to add me for UmvC3. I'm generally decent with most fighters but get destroyed online with UMvC3. I'd say go with the 3rd Birthday and try to master Marvel: Blazblue has a higher learning curve.

I get destroyed by the AI so it'll be a while before I try any online. Also don't have that much time to practice, unfortunately.

Mr.Fresh

I just beat uncharted last night. Quite a fun ride and locals get fairly varied in the second half of the game. I also beat Uncharted 3 recently and man I have a way higher headshot count on Golden Abyss. Gyro aiming is pretty great for stop and pop shooting.

Also there are so many freaking collectibles. The black market is slick too.
Sounds great! I'm updating the vita right now. I can't wait to jump in!

Ken

Sorry, but it bothers me when some people talk about it like it's the end of the world when it's actually fine. Others read that and believe it's horrible.

It's not lowered expectations, it's looking at things the way they really are. It plays well, it's responsive, smooth and it looks great.

I get destroyed by the AI so it'll be a while before I try any online. Also don't have that much time to practice, unfortunately.
You use Jill right? She's a pretty hard first character to use, IMO.

patsu

Interesting...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35530394&postcount=31

Nope, not even on android. I do driver and embedded programming mainly. I think I have fewer game industry contacts than the average gaffer. :)

Since the review you posted on b3d, there's been a large and very nice update. Hopefully more will be revealed at GDC since I'm looking forward to talkng about it.

Other early impressions/discussions:
http://martincaine.com/xna/from_xna_to_playstation_suite
http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/95810/588079.aspx

EDIT:
PS Suite for Vita was not available in the closed beta @ Dec 2011. Hope Sony reveal more about Vita PS Suite in GDC.

You use Jill right? She's a pretty hard first character to use, IMO.

LOL, yeah. And combine her with Trish and C. Viper. Yesterday tried 5 times to beat Zero (cheap ass bastard), Arthur (cheap ass bastard) and Taskmaster (cheap ass bastard). Got destroyed every time. They were always blocking and spamming the same combos.

Yeah, I know I should try other characters. But I like those characters and want to be able to play with them.

Should get some Vita Marvel lobbies going, but I think timezones might make it difficult.

My PSN is nya_08 if anyone wants to play Marvel.

I really need to start learning BB if P4U is similar to it.

I'd be willing to play some Marvel. Not very good myself. My PSN is the same as my name on here I'll add you when I get home.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone have issues connecting their Vita at Starbucks wifi?

Make it happen !

Yes. In my case, it was resolvable.

After you connect to StarBucks WiFi, go to the web browser immediately. Try to access any website, the "Terms of Agreement" page will show up. Tap "Ok" and you'll have full network access.

The "Ok" button can be tricky/slow though. I had to try 5-6 times before the "Ok" button registered my tap.

To further elaborate, most wifi hotspots should work like this. Heck, you can do this for you own house's wifi if you wanted (at least on my WRT54G with DDWRT CFW). Always accept the terms of service on the site in the browser and you will be unrestricted from there on out. I've done it at several McDonalds.

So i tried a display model of the vita the other day at Target. First impressions-
1. Huge screen. Much bigger than the ones on my 3ds and psp.
2. amazing graphics
3. D-pad is one piece, more like the x360 than the 4 buttons on a ps3 controller. WTF!!!
4. Atrocious and unacceptable loading times on wipeout game. Aren't vita games on flash cards? How is it possible to be this long?

Im thinking of getting the vita next month or April, but i'm second guessing myself becase of that d-pad. Why did they change it from the original psp and ps3?? Or is it different because its a display model?

Smh, I've had this thing for a month and change now and I just realized that you don't have to swipe diagonally to unlock the lockscreen. Swiping down or left also works - as long as you're grabbing the dog ear. Small thing but I thought it was interesting.

Kyoufu

3. D-pad is one piece, more like the x360 than the 4 buttons on a ps3 controller. WTF!!!

Im thinking of getting the vita next month or April, but i'm second guessing myself becase of that d-pad. Why did they change it from the original psp and ps3?? Or is it different because its a display model?

D-pad is awesome.

haikira

So i tried a display model of the vita the other day at Target. First impressions-
2. amazing graphics
4. Atrocious and unacceptable loading times on wipeout game. Aren't vita games on flash cards? How is it possible to be this long?

About the D-pad. I've seen people really in to their fighting games around here, saying how damn good it is. I haven't played too much on it. But I did mess around with sonic 1 & 2 on the Megadrive (genesis) collection and thought it was perfect, despite being one piece. I can say without hesitation that it's far better than the original 360 D-pad.

patsu

To further elaborate, most wifi hotspots should work like this. Heck, you can do this for you own house's wifi if you wanted (at least on my WRT54G with DDWRT CFW). Always accept the terms of service on the site in the browser and you will be unrestricted from there on out. I've done it at several McDonalds.

Yes. The real problem with the Starbucks WiFi is the "Ok" button on their web page. It shouldn't take 5-6 tries to tap. Seems like a JavaScript issue, or perhaps it's just a one-off incident. I'll have to try again to verify.

If it's a real issue, they should get Starbucks to fix it. I didn't have that problem on an iPhone 4S browser.

kitch9

Banned
2. amazing graphics

It's the best d pad going.. Isn't Ps3 pad one piece too? I'm sure it is.

injurai

Banned

You're kidding right? Probably the best d-pad on a hand held system, and the closest to what the PS3 offers. I'm sorry you can't enjoy it though.

patsu

I thought the D-pad on Dualshock 3 is also one giant piece (with 4 distinct button cut-out) ? When I press one of the directional buttons, the other 3 will tip over too.

Raine

2. amazing graphics

You obviously need to play with it more. This is arguably the best D-Pad on a gaming system along with the dualshock. 360 is trash and shouldn't even be mentioned with the likes of it.

I thought the D-pad on Dualshock 3 is also one giant piece (with 4 distinct button cut-out) ? When I press one of the directional buttons, the other 3 will tip over too.

It is. I wish people would realize this.

GAF is really trying not to sell the Vita here in Brazil

W1w90.png

R$1599,00 = 940 dollars at the moment.

There are shops in Brazil that the Vita is cheaper but this one is lol.

reson8or

Fuck yes, as far as I'm concerned. Very smooth despite the constant whining that it's 30 fps, very sharp IQ and as fun (and hard) to play as ever. Plus the 76 Ninja Trials along with the campaign will keep you busy for a while.

As for me, I'm itching to buy another game. Bought UMvC3 and love it, though it basically confirmed that if there's one type of game I truly suck at is fighting games.

Still, was contemplating getting either Blazblue or The 3rd Birthday. Opinions on either are very welcome.

I'd like to second this, NGS+ is worthy, if you like NGS.

I got BlazBlue on card and recalled almost instantly the barrier of entry. I *almost* regret getting it if not for how mind numbingly gorgeous it is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
2. amazing graphics

The d-pad is one piece (just like all previous Sony d-pads, actually), but NOTHING like XBOX360. It's one of the best d-pads ever made, as far as I'm concerned.

Also, loading is caused by the unbalance between read speeds and the amount of memory that needs to be filled. The PSP shipped with 32mb memory while the Vita has 640mb. That's a significant increase so even though the Vita memory cards are faster, but they didn't increase in performance by the same factor as the amount of on-board memory.

I'm not surprised, though, as there are already plenty of games on smart phones and the 3DS that suffer from similar issues. It simply depends on how much memory the game is using. Wipeout is loading some pretty massive chunks into memory.

The solution is two fold:

1) Find ways to optimize loading of data
2) Ship games on faster memory cards

Right now the retail carts can transfer 6mb/s while the memory cards are only 4mb/s. For PSP's 32mb of memory, that would have been very fast indeed, but when you have to fill so much more memory at once, it can require a lot of extra time. This is the same reason why larger iPhone games can require much more time to load.

Zoibie

I finally got my mis-priced Ubisoft games from Amazon. Dungeon Hunter: Alliance isn't awful, although the slow-down is very noticeable.

Yeah, I could see myself playing it for quite a while once I'm finished with Uncharted and Rayman. Only thing that feels iffy to me is the combat, the hit detection is a little off sometimes. Other than that it's OK, but it just makes me want an Elder Scrolls game on the Vita really badly.

KaidoRacer7

GAF is really trying not to sell the Vita here in Brazil

W1w90.png

R$1599,00 = 940 dollars at the moment.

There are shops in Brazil that the Vita is cheaper but this one is lol.

yeah, that is the official price... even in the sony style shop the price is the same

and is a pre order... it will only be released this friday

Skilletor

You're kidding right? Probably the best d-pad ever.

Fixed this for you.

Best dpad ever on anything, ever. Better than the saturn dpad. Nobody should complain about it, unless maybe its size is an issue (it's not for me, although the Vita buttons are small, imo).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fixed this for you.

Best dpad ever on anything, ever. Better than the saturn dpad. Nobody should complain about it, unless maybe its size is an issue (it's not for me, although the Vita buttons are small, imo).
Seriously. The d-pad is absolutely sublime to use.

Not like it's that big of a deal but I'm at rank 28 for Level 20 in Mutant Blobs Attack! I feel good about that.

I cracked the top ten on a few and even got to rank 2 on one of them but have since been pushed out of those spots. First game I actually am interested in leaderboards.

My best positions as of now are:

Tilt a Blob 4: Farm - 12

Level 13: Return of the Blob - 11

Level 3: Rocket Science 101 - 28

EDIT: Just redid Level 3 and have a new rank at 7!!! HA!!!

Bragging time :^p

Motorstorm RC first timetrial 11.754 placing me 15th worldwide! Played that level maybe for half an hour tops.

PSN name: MaimTron9000 Leaderboards will probably update in an hour or so.

Yes, I like this game now, most addictive thing in years.

steveovig

I cracked the top ten on a few and even got to rank 2 on one of them but have since been pushed out of those spots. First game I actually am interested in leaderboards.

My best positions as of now are:

Tilt a Blob 4: Farm - 12

Level 13: Return of the Blob - 11

Level 3: Rocket Science 101 - 28

EDIT: Just redid Level 3 and have a new rank at 7!!! HA!!!

You got me beat, that's for sure! On Level 20, I wasn't even really trying for score, I had just missed the trophy and I realized it was real fun to replay the levels. That was my first replay of any level.

Bragging time :^p

Motorstorm RC first timetrial 11.754 placing me 15th worldwide! Played that level maybe for half an hour tops.

PSN name: MaimTron9000 Leaderboards will probably update in an hour or so.

Yes, I like this game now, most addictive thing in years.

So your saying I should get it? Lol, definitely on my radar, hopefully there is a demo.

You got me beat, that's for sure! On Level 20, I wasn't even really trying for score, I had just missed the trophy and I realized it was real fun to replay the levels. That was my first replay of any level.

I beat the game and have been going back trying to get the gold ribbons and all of the blob friends. Truth be told most users won't even get the gold ribbon so if you can find both blobs and get a gold ribbon you should be fairly high in the rankings. Beyond that it is a matter of how fast you can do those and get a higher time bonus.

So replaying the levels is not only fun because the game is great but also rewards you with faster times and a higher spot on the leaderboards.

So your saying I should get it? Lol, definitely on my radar, hopefully there is a demo.

If you even remotely like racing games or timetrials, get it without a doubt. It reminds me of doing WipEout timetrials with global learderboards. Two of my colleagues are already addicted to it on my Vita :^p

BTW: Already been thrown from 15th place by 5 milliseconds :^(

EDIT: I have the mutant blobs game as well, really cool, need to get into it.

CoLaN

I bought my PS Vita today, and i'm extremely happy. I have the same sense of satisfaction that i felt when i got my hands on an iPad - i like the interface, the online features and the games :D

I wonder how many Juniors are going to become full members just by getting 200+ posts in this thread. I think Man-is-Obsolete and a few others are on their way ;)

I just used the PC Content Manager Assistant for the first time. I was surprised how long it took to transfer MP3s. Though I guess a lot of them are 300+kbs. I also was bummed i couldn't move any of the data for disc based games. Like I rented Shinobido 2 but returned it just due to it being pretty massive and me having a lot on my plate. I wish i could just move the icon/save to my pc until im ready to play it.

All in due time, i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom