• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

I thought the D-pad on Dualshock 3 is also one giant piece (with 4 distinct button cut-out) ? When I press one of the directional buttons, the other 3 will tip over too.
I realized that when I was 11 fucking years old. I remember thinking the idea of them being separate buttons was neat and novel (and young enough to not realize how terrible that'd actually be), only to use it and see that, no, the whole thing actually IS a single piece with the center hidden under the casing. Thus there was no pushing up and down at the same time like on a keyboard.

kitch9

Banned
Jesus, does anyone actually get ranking points on line in Fifa? If the games 1-0 you can guarantee the other side will disconnect in the 88th minute, or if you score a second you get disconnected by the twats straight away.

reson8or

I wonder how many Juniors are going to become full members just by getting 200+ posts in this thread. I think Man-is-Obsolete and a few others are on their way ;)

I just used the PC Content Manager Assistant for the first time. I was surprised how long it took to transfer MP3s. Though I guess a lot of them are 300+kbs. I also was bummed i couldn't move any of the data for disc based games. Like I rented Shinobido 2 but returned it just due to it being pretty massive and me having a lot on my plate. I wish i could just move the icon/save to my pc until im ready to play it.

All in due time, i guess.

Haven't tried yet, but I was under the impression that this was possible. I'll try it out when I get home this evening.

Blitzzz

my only wish for vita is that sony will allow some kind of android integration like rim's playbook os.... access to android marketplace would take care of a bunch of problems like crappy browser, no youtube at absolutely no dev cost to sony

Alright GAF, I just bought a $50 PSN Card and I need game suggestions. My choices are either UMVC3, Virtua Tennis 4, or HSG.

I've had my eye mainly on Virtua Tenni 4 and I'm hearing great things about it however HSG looks fun but I'm hearing the difficulty is rough. Keep in mind I haven't owned of these types of games before, so any of the 3 are new to me.

my only wish for vita is that sony will allow some kind of android integration like rim's playbook os.... access to android marketplace would take care of a bunch of problems like crappy browser, no youtube at absolutely no dev cost to sony

Oh, except the fact that they would need spend tons of money making it work in the first place.

Gustav

Banned
Alright GAF, I just bought a $50 PSN Card and I need game suggestions. My choices are either UMVC3, Virtua Tennis 4, or HSG.

I've had my eye mainly on Virtua Tenni 4 and I'm hearing great things about it however HSG looks fun but I'm hearing the difficulty is rough. Keep in mind I haven't owned of these types of games before, so any of the 3 are new to me.

I'd say Virtua Tennis. HSG is a little rough around the edges. UMVC3 only if you are a fighting game enthusiast.

spats

HSG for the Vita was my first entry into the franchise and I fell completely in love with it. Have propably gotten a good 10ish hours out of it but the difficulty is seriously starting catch up to me now.

There's one really cool thing in the game called 'daily international tournament', which is a series of events held every day that sets up a new leaderboard for each event every day and gives you points based on your ranking the next day. It's a really fun way to pick up the game every day and play a little bit. You can launch the tournament menu straight from LiveArea, very convenient.

But if you're a person who gets easily frustrated you may as well forget about it. I've gotten pissed off so many times at the game but I always forgive it because of all the charm and personality it has. :p

Blitzzz

Oh, except the fact that they would need spend tons of money making it work in the first place.

maybe it's tons of money, maybe it's not.... vita uses the same cpu architecture as android hardware and they already have existing android devs of their own working on xperia phones. Get some integration with android marketplace and it becomes a full fledged tablet while still being a hardcore game machine.

maybe it's tons of money, maybe it's not.... vita uses the same cpu architecture as android hardware and they already have existing android devs of their own working on xperia phones. Get some integration with android marketplace and it becomes a full fledged tablet while still being a hardcore game machine.

And that costs money.

Oni Jazar

I almost regret buying the 32Gb memory card because I have to hope that in the not to far future Sony will improve the data transfer speed on future revisions of the memory card. It's way too slow.

You could stretch that $50 really far.....

Tales from Space: Mutant Blob Attacks - $8

Escape Plan - $15

Super Stardust Delta w/DLC - $15

Motorstorm RC - $10?

All that added up is $48

And if you have some money already in your wallet and can afford it the PSP game Crush at $5 is an absolute steal. Great puzzle game that will keep you entertained...and pondering for hours.

Gustav

Banned

Escape Plan - $15

Motorstorm RC - $10?

All that added up is $48

And if you have some money already in your wallet and can afford it the PSP game Crush at $5 is an absolute steal. Great puzzle game that will keep you entertained...and pondering for hours.

Or he could buy FIFA and join the GAF League. :)

darkwing

Escape Plan - $15

Motorstorm RC - $10?

All that added up is $48

wow thanks for this breakdown, going to do this

SRTtoZ

If you like fighting games UMvC3 is great.

scently

A little OT but where can I buy a PSN voucher code online with an international card? I am trying to buy some psv content on my ps3 and it is not giving me the option to use an international card. Can somebody help please?

Sirolf

The last five chapters of Golden Abyss are absolutely phenomenal.....The poly's pushing power of this bad boy is insane insane... insane...And the texturing and lightning my gosh.Much more impressive than the first UC !!
It's really a mini PS3.

Sera O

Banned
I've had my Vita for a week now, and like so many others in this thread I love this thing! Overall it is a really impressive device. So impressive that I wish I wasn't such a failure at applying screen protectors - dust and bubbles, ugh.

There are a few things I think could be better. Loading times (mostly in Lumines for me). Battery life it is decent right now but I haven't really been using chat, or any games with significant online. The back touchpad feels like it's in my way more than anything. Katamari uses it as a control to distort the shape of the katamari, and I kept accidentally triggering it until I flipped the back of my case over it. I think buying a grip would help by giving me more to hold onto and improving ergonomics.

So far I've got Katamari, Lumines, and Hot Shots Golf. I've been really happy with the launch lineup so far, and I never thought I'd find the near app as interesting as I do. Been uploading presents as much as possible. Apparently there are ~300 people in my vicinity playing the vita! I'm looking forward to the 999 sequel, gravity rush, and the persona 4 games.

My wishlist is mostly app-related now and I hope there is good ongoing improvement. I'd love if there were ways to skin the UI. I think those bubbles are ugly, but I like the way the OS works otherwise. Netflix Canada is still not working. A Gmail app and a better browser would make this my go-to device and let me leave my ipod at home for shorter excursions.

Though it seems like I have a lot of complaints, they are minor to me and overall the Vita is great. This is the first time I've gotten a new piece of hardware at launch and I'm so glad I did.

mauaus

I just finished U:GA... AWESOME GAME!!! I just want to know if i lend the game to a friend and he formats the cartridge to earn trophies, will i lose my collectibles or are they saved in my Vita??

Man doing Motorstorm speed laps is strangely hypnotic, I'm dizzy now :^p
17th place on the leaderboard for the first time trial, my colleague is going to try to kick my ass tomorrow. Those ghosts are a bit distracting though, sometimes it is hard to see your own car.

A little OT but where can I buy a PSN voucher code online with an international card? I am trying to buy some psv content on my ps3 and it is not giving me the option to use an international card. Can somebody help please?

Yes. I've used Best Buy. You have to put their address as your billing address, they explain it there.

It takes a few hours to get the code though for me for some reason.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I just finished U:GA... AWESOME GAME!!! I just want to know if i lend the game to a friend and he formats the cartridge to earn trophies, will i lose my collectibles or are they saved in my Vita??

Uncharted requires memory card, don't think it saves anything to cart

I've had my Vita for a week now, and like so many others in this thread I love this thing! Overall it is a really impressive device. So impressive that I wish I wasn't such a failure at applying screen protectors - dust and bubbles, ugh.

There are a few things I think could be better. Loading times (mostly in Lumines for me). Battery life it is decent right now but I haven't really been using chat, or any games with significant online. The back touchpad feels like it's in my way more than anything. Katamari uses it as a control to distort the shape of the katamari, and I kept accidentally triggering it until I flipped the back of my case over it. I think buying a grip would help by giving me more to hold onto and improving ergonomics.

So far I've got Katamari, Lumines, and Hot Shots Golf. I've been really happy with the launch lineup so far, and I never thought I'd find the near app as interesting as I do. Been uploading presents as much as possible. Apparently there are ~300 people in my vicinity playing the vita! I'm looking forward to the 999 sequel, gravity rush, and the persona 4 games.

My wishlist is mostly app-related now and I hope there is good ongoing improvement. I'd love if there were ways to skin the UI. I think those bubbles are ugly, but I like the way the OS works otherwise. Netflix Canada is still not working. A Gmail app and a better browser would make this my go-to device and let me leave my ipod at home for shorter excursions.

Though it seems like I have a lot of complaints, they are minor to me and overall the Vita is great. This is the first time I've gotten a new piece of hardware at launch and I'm so glad I did.

I have no clue how to upload stuff on near. I think I got some rewards to upload in SSD, but I have no clue how to actually do it. Near isn't very user friendly IMO, though I love the idea.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I caved in and picked up The 3rd Birthday, and I have to say, as a Parasite Eve fan, I'm really enjoying it, and it's a blast to play on Vita. However, I can totally see why some people would be annoyed trying to play it on the PSP.

The dual analog really feels great, and the visuals look really sharp (it doesn't use that weird filter that FF Dissidia/012 use).

I'm really liking it, and it feels like a Parasite Eve game to me!

These PSP "Classics" are killing me though! I don't think I'll have any problems weathering the inevitable Vita dry spells. So many quality PSP titles to play.

I've always sung the PSP's praises, but I actually think the Vita will help people realize that the PSP has a great software library, but people were too wrapped up in their salesage "PSP vs DS" BS that they didn't bother to accept what a stellar lineup the system has.

Games that had control issues thanks to the camera feel much better to play now.

I'm still playing the hell out of my 4 proper Vita titles, of course, but man, those classic titles. Next up? Probably Jeanne 'D Arc. I loved that game, and would love to see it on that OLED.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm er.... Ahem. Seriously thinking about buying a Vita.

/goes for a lay down...

Oldschool

Hey guys,

Sorry for the probably redundant question, but, can anyone link me to a text tutorial explaining how to switch account on vita without losing the content? I mean, I already downloaded plenty of psp games, vita demos and games in my account. But I made a HK account and downloaded the gravity rush demo.

So I think it´s better to play the gravity rush demo first by making the hk account my active account on vita, and then switch to my main USA account, am I right or there is something I am missing?

Sera O

Banned
I have no clue how to upload stuff on near. I think I got some rewards to upload in SSD, but I have no clue how to actually do it. Near isn't very user friendly IMO, though I love the idea.

It is really not very consistently implemented, but for both Katamari and Lumines the upload is initiated in the game itself. Heck, in Katamari it says "check buddy plaza" or something, and doesn't really indicate that it's putting you out there as a potential buddy as well. Then it will take you to the near app and prompt you to update location, do the upload, and once it's done will prompt you to return to the game.

It would be nice if the near information relating to a game would be on the startup screen (or whatever it's called), along with the manual and website links for consistency. The only way I could confirm the games I've uploaded presents for was by checking my player info in Near (touch your icon on the radar map and see if there are present icons next to games on your list).

It is really not very consistently implemented, but for both Katamari and Lumines the upload is initiated in the game itself. Heck, in Katamari it says "check buddy plaza" or something, and doesn't really indicate that it's putting you out there as a potential buddy as well. Then it will take you to the near app and prompt you to update location, do the upload, and once it's done will prompt you to return to the game.

It would be nice if the near information relating to a game would be on the startup screen (or whatever it's called), along with the manual and website links for consistency. The only way I could confirm the games I've uploaded presents for was by checking my player info in Near (touch your icon on the radar map and see if there are present icons next to games on your list).

Good tip, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom