• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to HMV today to trade Virtua Tennis in. It's a great game but I want to try out more Vita games.

The weird thing is that the HMV guy told me Sony weren't shipping them anymore 16gb memory cards, I was wondering when they got more in. They said they had one card coming in for a guy who ordered it but after that there would be no more. I assume this isn't a permanent thing but I wonder if this is Sony preparing for a 32gb card release in the UK?

They also said they wouldn't be getting any other launch titles in (there selection is rather small) he said they only have the same games on order. Weird stuff.

It's all because you traded in your game, they already think Vita is doomed.

patsu

Is it me or is Uncharted Golden Abyss better than U3..I'm really having a fun time..

In Uncharted's family tree, I see GA in its own branch expanding gameplay and fun elements from U1. I see U2 and U3 expanding visuals and MP. I like GA better than the other PS3 Uncharted games so far. I hope U4 combines the bests of GA and U2/3.

burgerdog

Unit 13 demo crashed my vita, I turned it off and the swirly ball was on screen for over a minute. Now the screen is completely black and it won't power on. The ps icon just keeps blinking over and over in blue.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Tales from Space Mutant Blobs Attack!!!

A game that definitely deserves to be had by anyone that buys a Vita. Fun platforming with variety and a few twists in game play that you don't expect. Only 8 UNITED STATES DOLLARS.

2012-03-01-184105f1kwi.jpg

This part is good like many others in which you do the level in little form but when you get so big, the world looks small. Them little caverns and such are the ones you scale earlier on. NEATO.

2012-03-01-184149jpjyw.jpg

2012-03-01-184709fwjq2.jpg

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

2012-03-01-184827trjdf.jpg

A SOLID 9/10

SRTtoZ

Unit 13 demo crashed my vita, I turned it off and the swirly ball was on screen for over a minute. Now the screen is completely black and it won't power on. The ps icon just keeps blinking over and over in blue.

1) Delete that POS demo from your system, its riddled with bugs

2) hold the power button for 30 seconds.

Gav47

Does anyone know were I can get grip for the Vita in Europe? I have quite big hands and I tend to cramp up after an hour or so. The only ones I can find are silicone type cases, I'm looking for something more along the lines of the PDP grip.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I bought the Last Ranker from the Japanese store because I always wanted to try it and it's never coming to the US....it looks really brilliant. I wish to god you could use the right stick for camera, but it's great so far, such a cool concept for battles/leveling up.

I went to HMV today to trade Virtua Tennis in. It's a great game but I want to try out more Vita games.

The weird thing is that the HMV guy told me Sony weren't shipping them anymore 16gb memory cards, I was wondering when they got more in. They said they had one card coming in for a guy who ordered it but after that there would be no more. I assume this isn't a permanent thing but I wonder if this is Sony preparing for a 32gb card release in the UK?

They also said they wouldn't be getting any other launch titles in (there selection is rather small) he said they only have the same games on order. Weird stuff.

I've read that HMV is having similar problems as GAME is having at the moment.

My understanding of the situation is, Sony is leery to sending too much stock and is even putting stickers on the packages saying that the items belongs to Sony until it's sold at the till.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm getting so tempted to sell my Go with 32GB, official case, and cradle so I can justify buying one of these damn things.

What are people's opinions on Sony's official cradle?

Got it the other day. It's basic, but it does what it does well. I use it considerably now. I can watch stuff on netflix while doing other tasks on my laptop without having a netflix screen taking up most of my desktop. Not only that, even though this thing is so much smaller than I'd like to watch movies on, the color is phenomenal.

patsu

I'm getting so tempted to sell my Go with 32GB, official case, and cradle so I can justify buying one of these damn things.

If you're on Go which relies on PSN library anyway, I think you'll get (much) more satisfaction on Vita.

The larger size is not really a big problem.

Are you actually supposed to rest your fingers on the contoured sections on the back?

Not really.

It's there to help you feel where the touchpad will be. In between those sections is the touchpad. So it's like a recommendation, and one that I take.

I hold my Vita with my three fingers in a knuckle with my index fingers on the shoulder buttons and my thumb in front.

Apath

If you're on Go which relies on PSN library anyway, I think you'll get (much) more satisfaction on Vita.

The large size + analogue sticks make it not-so-pocket friendly. The GO is the perfect size for fitting in your pocket. Plus you can sync up a DS3 with the Go and hook it up to a TV, which you cannot do with the Vita.

I'm not saying it isn't a great upgrade (it is), but it has its ups and downs, so it really varies by user to user for how practical it is. Not to mention there are a few games that don't work on the Vita (Motorstorm Arctic Edge, PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe), so whether or not you need to play certain games will also affect the decision.

zatara

Not really.

It's there to help you feel where the touchpad will be. In between those sections is the touchpad. So it's like a recommendation, and one that I take.

I hold my Vita with my three fingers in a knuckle with my index fingers on the shoulder buttons and my thumb in front.

I'm trying to get used to using the contours but it just feels weird.

Grinchy

Banned
Do you mean 16GB internal + 16GB M2 card, or were you actually able to find a 32GB M2 card?

Yeah 16+16. I even looked into whether selling the M2 card separately would be better, but it doesn't appear that it would which is a shame.

I agree, my psp library is all digital. That's one of the main reasons I'm thinking about it. I could immediately download all my PSP games onto Vita and have some shit to play until I figure out which Vita games to go after. Uncharted looks good but not at its price. I'd probably have to wait a bit.

The only reason the size might be a problem for me is because I use my Go as an mp3 player a few times per week at least. Even the PSP 3000 was an unacceptable device as an mp3 player for me. So I worry about that. I guess I just can't make up my damn mind.

Plus you can sync up a DS3 with the Go and hook it up to a TV, which you cannot do with the Vita.
I love that about my Go, but I mainly only did it because I preferred the controller to playing on the system itself. I'm making a blind assumption that the 2nd joystick would make the Vita more playable to me.

Apath

I'm trying to get used to using the contours but it just feels weird.
I think it's because of the rear touch pad. My natural tendencies are to stretch my hand across the back of the device, but I know I shouldn't get comfortable in that position -- for obvious reasons -- so I make due and find other ways to hold it.

Now the touch pad is a great feature if utilized, but as of yet I've yet to see a non-superficial use of it that couldn't have simply been done just as easy on the touch screen, or not at all (climbing ropes in Uncharted for the former, raising the grid in Wipeout for the latter). I find myself wishing I could scroll through the home screen or the browser with the read touch pad. I guess I just don't get why they bothered to include it if it's not even supported in the main part of the OS.

I'm sure this will change later, but as of now I just feel it really takes away from the comfort of holding the device, and it's just not worth the trade off (yet).

patsu

The large size + analogue sticks make it not-so-pocket friendly. The GO is the perfect size for fitting in your pocket. Plus you can sync up a DS3 with the Go and hook it up to a TV, which you cannot do with the Vita.

I can see how DS3 + HDTV provides a "bigger" experience. Portability is not really a big issue since it's trivial to carry a backpack. It also means the PSPGo screen is smaller.

I'm not saying it isn't a great upgrade (it is), but it has its ups and downs, so it really varies by user to user for how practical it is. Not to mention there are a few games that don't work on the Vita (Motorstorm Arctic Edge, PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe), so whether or not you need to play certain games will also affect the decision.

The price is a bigger problem, while incompatible games is a known risk. Just look up the list and decide whether it's a showstopper.

Personally, I'll sell Go if the trade-in value is good enough.

If you have a huge UMD library, then perhaps forfeiting everything for Vita would be hard to swallow.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Thread moves too fast.

Anyone else get an email from CC saying they're going to honor the $40 32Gb mem card deal? Will be super stoked if it happens.

Toki767

Yeah 16+16. I even looked into whether selling the M2 card separately would be better, but it doesn't appear that it would which is a shame.

I agree, my psp library is all digital. That's one of the main reasons I'm thinking about it. I could immediately download all my PSP games onto Vita and have some shit to play until I figure out which Vita games to go after. Uncharted looks good but not at its price. I'd probably have to wait a bit.

The only reason the size might be a problem for me is because I use my Go as an mp3 player a few times per week at least. Even the PSP 3000 was an unacceptable device as an mp3 player for me. So I worry about that. I guess I just can't make up my damn mind.

Have you tried one out? If you did and are still contemplating it maybe it's best to not jump in right away. Keep in mind that the PSPGo's value will decrease the longer you wait though. How much would you be able to get for it?

Uthred

Slightly confused about how profiles work, if I have my EU profile set up on my vita and download some shit onto my memory card can I then switch to my US profile and play whatever I downloaded with my EU account (like you can on the PS3) or by switching to my US account will I delete anything downloaded on the EU account?

Grinchy

Banned
Have you tried one out? If you did and are still contemplating it maybe it's best to not jump in right away. Keep in mind that the PSPGo's value will decrease the longer you wait though. How much would you be able to get for it?

I haven't tried one out. I'm one of those fools who get hyped from the internet lol. But the depreciation problem is something I definitely considered.

It looks like I can get roughly $100 for the Go itself. With the extra memory, cradle, and case, Ebay's completed listings make it appear that I could get somewhere around $160.

Toki767

Slightly confused about how profiles work, if I have my EU profile set up on my vita and download some shit onto my memory card can I then switch to my US profile and play whatever I downloaded with my EU account (like you can on the PS3) or by switching to my US account will I delete anything downloaded on the EU account?

You won't be able to play anything on your EU account, but you don't have to delete anything downloaded on the account. It'll just still be on the memory card.

I haven't tried one out. I'm one of those fools who get hyped from the internet lol. But the depreciation problem is something I definitely considered.

It looks like I can get roughly $100 for the Go itself. With the extra memory, cradle, and case, Ebay's completed listings make it appear that I could get somewhere around $160.

I'd just go to a Gamestop or Best Buy and try one out first if I were you. Experiences here are very positive, but everyone has their own opinion and you should form your own from messing around with the system in person.

Apath

I can see how DS3 + HDTV provides a "bigger" experience. Portability is not really a big issue since it's trivial to carry a backpack. It also means the PSPGo screen is smaller.
Sure, which is exactly why it varies as whether or not it's an issue for some people. If he carries his PSP Go around in his pocket all the time, upgrading to the Vita may not be the best option right now. I usually have a jacket with big pockets or a backpack on me during school, so its size isn't an issue for me, for now. But once it's summer and I'm only wearing loose shorts and a T, I probably won't be taking my Vita with me out of the house much at all. If he's using his Go for, as he said, MP3s, he may want to think hard about upgrading.

I traded my Go in to Amazon for ~$80 (Black, no accessories).

Are there are any games on the Vita that you feel like you HAVE to have? If you're unsure, try out a floor model at Best Buy or Gamestop.

patsu

Vita's music player is too simple for my taste. It won't be able to satisfy most people's need if they want a full featured MP3 player.

Grinchy

Banned
I'd just go to a Gamestop or Best Buy and try one out first if I were you. Experiences here are very positive, but everyone has their own opinion and you should form your own from messing around with the system in person.

I really should. I don't even know how big it is in person. Plus, I keep forgetting that I'll have to buy an expensive ass memory card. I'd really like to have 32GB because I've already just about filled my Go with that much memory.

My wallet does not have a hype shield :(

Are there are any games on the Vita that you feel like you HAVE to have? If you're unsure, try out a floor model at Best Buy or Gamestop.
haha probably not. TBH I'm probably more excited about having a 2nd analog for PSP games than I am about buying Vita games. (if that makes any sense to rational people)

Reminds me I need a second cradle for work. =)

I want to do that, but man I'm having trouble justifying spending $40 on cradles, and even $70 on cradles and a second power setup. That's almost a 32 gig card there. It was easy with the 3DS since they gave you a cradle and a second cradle was only $4.

Lulubop

I travel between boroughs on a daily bases and I've been looking for a handheld to cover some down time. I think the 3ds has a fantastic lineup both currently and upcoming, however I feel the hardware is lacking so I wait for the inevitable redesign.

The Vita on the other hand looks phenomenal and I'm leaning towards it, that said I have zero interest in any of the games available or announced. If I were to get a Vita it would be primarily to play great looking PSP titles I missed out on. The memory card presents a different issue as I only have so much money. Would a 4gig card be enough to grab 5-6 titles? I know the size depends on the game, but is there a size range a majority of games fall under?

Some game I'm interested in grabbing include Tactics Ogre, Wild Arms xf, Trails in the sky, Monster Hunter, Y's series.

Just getting a psp is also a possibility, but I'm not sure if it's worth it at this point.

I love that about my Go, but I mainly only did it because I preferred the controller to playing on the system itself. I'm making a blind assumption that the 2nd joystick would make the Vita more playable to me.

I have a go as well Grinchy. Mapping the rstick to the d-pad for games like MGS Peace Walker and MHFU works great. The games look good to but I have an 8gb and 4gb mem card for my vita so coming from the 16gb in my GO was hard to swallow. Like everyone else said, go try one out first. I love mine though.

Can anyone recommend some PSP games that benefit greatly from the right stick being added?
If you hated the camera controls in MHFU, this feature is fantastic.

I want to do that, but man I'm having trouble justifying spending $40 on cradles, and even $70 on cradles and a second power setup. That's almost a 32 gig card there. It was easy with the 3DS since they gave you a cradle and a second cradle was only $4.

I think I already spent like $1000 on the Vita. =3

Alchemy

Probably has a back up capacitor or the console cuts out before the battery actually reaches zero.

There's probably a limit of how long it will last before it completely shuts off.

Does this work without a memory stick? It might suggest the vita has some internal memory that it saves the systems current RAM state to so that it can resume from that memory.

Cookie18

I travel between boroughs on a daily bases and I've been looking for a handheld to cover some down time. I think the 3ds has a fantastic lineup both currently and upcoming, however I feel the hardware is lacking so I wait for the inevitable redesign.

The Vita on the other hand looks phenomenal and I'm leaning towards it, that said I have zero interest in any of the games available or announced. If I were to get a Vita it would be primarily to play great looking PSP titles I missed out on. The memory card presents a different issue as I only have so much money. Would a 4gig card be enough to grab 5-6 titles? I know the size depends on the game, but is there a size range a majority of games fall under?

Some game I'm interested in grabbing include Tactics Ogre, Wild Arms xf, Trails in the sky, Monster Hunter, Y's series.

Just getting a psp is also a possibility, but I'm not sure if it's worth it at this point.

If you could stretch to an 8gb card then you'd be fine. With a 4gb card you'd probably be looking at 3-5 PSP games at a push.

patsu

I really should. I don't even know how big it is in person. Plus, I keep forgetting that I'll have to buy an expensive ass memory card. I'd really like to have 32GB because I've already just about filled my Go with that much memory.

My wallet does not have a hype shield :(

Yes, I suspect price is probably a more important factor if you're on the fence about trading in the Go in exchange for a Vita.

haha probably not. TBH I'm probably more excited about having a 2nd analog for PSP games than I am about buying Vita games. (if that makes any sense to rational people)

No, I totally get that. There are a few PSP games I have been wanting to play myself. I didn't get them because I didn't like the PSP nub. You may enjoy your existing game library more because of Vita.

Vita is not so great as a portable MP3 player if you don't carry a bag/backpack. My family don't mind carrying an iPad wherever we go because we love its company. It made our trips very fun. Sometimes my wife would complain and want to leave the iPad at home because it's too heavy for her bag. Vita doesn't have that weight problem and it is smaller.

PSPGo is probably the most convenient to carry around, but I reckon the real showstopper is the price. I'd say it's more important to settle your regular financial outlay first. We'll be here anyway when you're ready. ^_^

EDIT:
I'd say follow your instinct. Plan your activities and finance around your needs.
There is no need to try the demo if you think you're better off not getting a Vita in the short term.
The Vita demo in the store is gimped anyway.

I hope the PS Vita's volume buttons are durable and will last. My left one feels a bit deeper inside and requires a little more pressure to push the button.

I went through a few devices with similar buttons that just pooped out on me and would just get permanently stuck.

Anyone else have the same thing with any of their buttons on the Vita?

Grinchy

Banned
Yes, I suspect price is probably a more important factor if you're on the fence about trading in the Go in exchange for a Vita.

Not necessarily, but I'd have no reason to keep both. I sell stuff pretty often to justify new purchases. But I suppose I can't say that price isn't a factor either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom