• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CALENDAR BUG FIXED. READ OP - now I can play Bakugan Battle Brawlers, thank God

1000Hurts said:
At least until GoW3 comes out...

For that I'll just cross the street to my buddy's house. I'll gamefly it and play it on his PS3 Slim.

thought you meant Gears of War 3 for a solid minute there

Madman

Nakasan said:
Nah, I know its the nature of the beast, and I don't even mind them covering their backs, I personally would of just prefered a generic "Yup, theres a problem, we're looking into it".

But then, I know that that comment would wind others up even more due to it's crushing lack of info! So yeah, I guess Sony can't win...
They already did say that last night. The PS blog mentions it.

Also, trying again with this:

Has anyone tried:

Switching the daylight savings setting in the PS3?

Using one or all of the options in the recovery menu?

Could someone who is about to rip out their battery try this first? It probably won't work, but if you're going the whole 9 yards...

itxaka

Defeatist
Dreams-Visions said:
why the hell is that difficult for you to believe?

ALL FAT PS3'S ARE EFFECTED.
ALL OF THEM. in every country around the world.

as in, every PS3 sold between November 11, 2006 - Semptember 1, 2009 (PS3 Slim launch)...and a little after that, as they finished up selling the inventory of fats.

I'd assume that at least 3/4's of the installed userbase are playing on fat PS3's.

Oh no, don't misunderstand me. I could believe that 20 million ps3 are affected, but this is spanish news and they normally pull everything from their ass. If they just happen to heard 50 million, they would have probably reported that many.

For god's sake, once they claimed to have seen Albano and Romina power's daugther, and she's been dead for around 13 years :lol

Cruzader

Banned
Chip N Chance said:
Is there anyone with a 80GB (software emulation PS2) that's having problems? Im midway through my second Heavy Rain play through. But i can wait. I just want to know what the word is on that specific system.

Yea those dont work either. I have one and its messed up. Yesterday I logged in and booted FLOCK! but couldnt boot do to trophy error so shut it off. Then later read thread and booted PS3 to see FLOCK trophy set gone and not being able to log onto PSN again. Sucks cuz I wanted to log in and boot PAIN to remove that trophy set lol.

Not booting till this it s fixed. Good thing I got shit to do for today.

Doodis

chubigans said:
Uh...my PS3 FAT from 2008 works fine. Geez people. :lol
Yup, just finished playing some Heavy Rain this morning before work on my 2008 PS3, no problems. Didn't know there was an issue until I jumped online.

deepbrown

Dreams-Visions said:

as in, every PS3 sold between November 11, 2006 - Semptember 1, 2009 (PS3 Slim launch)...and a little after that, as they finished up selling the inventory of fats.

I'd assume that at least 3/4's of the installed userbase are playing on fat PS3's.
160Gb and 80GB's are unaffected - all 'L' models in fact.

I heard a rumor that this event broke the record for how quickly a video reaction from Hitler's bunker was posted; under 12 hours apparently. Can anyone confirm?

nyong said:
Not all phats are messed up. However, everything (?) with backwards compatability is. Millions is not an exaggeration by any means.

I think that is more correct. The people saying "ALL" should only be referring to those who are people who either disconnected for the PSN, or perhaps have non 2008 models.

MGR

Dreams-Visions said:

Nope.

My launch 60GB is fine.

LiK

Fugu said:
They aren't all affected. Read the thread. There are plenty of examples of people with fat PS3s that are working fine.
I played mine until 6pm est last night and trophies and syncing were fine. not sure when it broke for everyone else

Nakasan

gofreak said:
Probably because PSN fuck-ups are built into your agreement with Sony. However a problem with the system itself might yield greater liability for Sony.

Also, as for warning people against listening to 'others' about the problem, that's probably a preemptive caution lest rumours about fixes spread that actually lead people to fucking up their systems more. People could (easily) spread malicious instructions about how to fix this, instructions that actually lead to really broken systems...that's I think why Sony's saying that, to await official news/guidance etc. Of course, their silence creates a vacumn where rumours and so on happily multiply.

Yeah, and I agree with their sentiment of not listening to randomers. I actually don't mind their statement now. Bloody Mood swings. Must be my wife's period rubbing off on me... Is that too disgusting?

Caj814

Dawn of
The First Day

t1267488000z0.png

-Remain-

Mass hysteria still across the net :lol

Surely Sony should know by now if it's going to work after midnight (or whenever) or not? Seems they'd calm a lot of people by releasing that info (assuming that's actually the case).

darkwing

Razor210 said:
For those trying the battery fix, how hard is it, and have any complications come up?

only hard thing is finding a screwdriver, the PS3 uses the Star type thingy, and when you inadvertently do something bad when opening the PS3 up

DMeisterJ

Banned
LiK said:
I played mine until 6pm est last night and trophies and syncing were fine. not sure when it broke for everyone else

7PM EST was 00:00 GMT, which is what the clock runs on. So you got off before the killswitch was switched.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Gary Whitta said:
I heard a rumor that this event broke the record for how quickly a video reaction from Hitler's bunker was posted; under 12 hours apparently. Can anyone confirm?

I'm more interested in seeing the video reaction from Sony's bunker.

Hylian7

Razor210 said:
For those trying the battery fix, how hard is it, and have any complications come up?
I am wondering this as well, but I have a 2008 model that I have not turned on at all during all of this. The thing that worries me about the battery thing is that there could be some BIOS setting that Sony set before shipping your PS3 originally, that resetting the CMOS would cause it to lose. If this particular setting is important, it could be system-bricking.

Vgamer

Psychotext said:
Surely Sony should know by now if it's going to work after midnight (or whenever) or not? Seems they'd calm a lot of people by releasing that info (assuming that's actually the case).

I think even if they know for sure the bug will fix itself in a few hours they want to make it seem like its their engineers who fixed the problem by working tirelessly and not the system fixing itself. Then they can release a press release saying thanks to their hard work the problem has been fixed. It would make them seem more pro-active rather then them just sitting around waiting for the bug to fix itself.

golem

If pulling the battery works, then I'm thinking the clock itself has no problem with it being 3/1, instead something with the clock screwed up with the date change and it won't autocorrect with the new date (since the hardware clock only counts seconds and couldnt care less what actual date it was).

I hope Sony has a way to reset the cmos through firmware, or this will be a huge debacle.

spats

One of the most melodramatic threads in gaf history?

deathberry said:
Not to be a cold-hearted bastard, but at the expense of GAF, and all the PS3 owners around the world including myself I'd like to see the presumed "auto-correct at 12am GMT tonight" not work.

And all fat PS3s around the world sebsequently brick. Such a clusterfuck in electronics hasn't been heard of in...forever.

Sony shareholders should stay alert for the next 7.5 hours .

simo.gif

LegendOfGood said:
Well, I'm gonna back up my saves and then try going to BB and get the Slim. Been waiting for my fat to screw up for a while now so I can do this.

Will let everybody know if they take it or not.
PLEASE DO. I'm right behind you on this.

Quick question about backing up saves...I think I remember hearing that if you use the backup utility to back up your PS3 saves, it will also copy LOCKED game saves, is this correct?

darkwing

Y2Kev said:
What is a "star" screwdriver? Is it torx? Can I jigger it by using a nail clipper :D

oh yeah its a torx thingy XD heck when i opened my PS3 before, i only used the common X one, yeah just be careful it doesn't retread the screws or you can't get them out lols

Fox Mulder

Dreams-Visions said:

it's not that bad.

I have a CECHL model, which came out in 2008. It seems fats prior to that model are affected though. It's not every fat ever made.

Vanille

Vgamer said:
I think even if they know for sure it will fix the problem they want to make it seem like its their engineers who fixed the problem by working tirelessly and not the system fixing itself. Then they can release a press release saying thanks to their hard work the problem has been fixed. It would make them seem more pro-active rather then them just sitting around waiting for the bug to fix itself.

Pretty much.

Fugu said:
They aren't all affected. Read the thread.
lol.

do you realize how stupid a suggestion that is in a 100-page, 5,000+ post thread?

how about you read through the damn thread and find the posts. see how fun that is for you. :lol

the PS3's that I know of that are fat and "fine" are few and far between. problems are far and away the most common experience. let's not pretend otherwise. there's no point to it.

Rubeus

That's weird, I just starting playing Uncharted 2 last night, and I connected to PSN and downloaded the upgrade 1.05 patch without any issues, and I have the oldest 60GB model.

Top Bottom