• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CALENDAR BUG FIXED. READ OP - now I can play Bakugan Battle Brawlers, thank God

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
deathberry said:
Not to be a cold-hearted bastard, but at the expense of GAF, and all the PS3 owners around the world
including myself
I'd like to see the presumed "auto-correct at 12am GMT tonight" not work.

And all fat PS3s around the world sebsequently brick. Such a clusterfuck in electronics hasn't been heard of in...forever.

Sony shareholders should stay alert for the next 7.5 hours :D .
shut up:lol

Jal

Raist said:
By 12 GMT this thread is going to die. I request 1 min of silence when that happens.

Come ot think of it, it'll probably be the fastest moving and fastest dying thread in the history of GAF.

Hopefully, THE SECOND COMING OF PS3SUS.

Is there anyone with a 80GB (software emulation PS2) that's having problems? Im midway through my second Heavy Rain play through. But i can wait. I just want to know what the word is on that specific system.

Danielsan

Sony should really give an update.
I understand that they're also playing the waiting game but at least tell your consumers what's up.

A simple:
"Sorry we fucked up, everything will be just dandy by 0:00 GMT."
Would suffice.
And of course compensation for the fuck up. ;)

itxaka

Defeatist
Seems like this has already reached to the spanish midday news on TV. Also the 2 biggest newspapers have it on their online edition frontpage.

Huge bad PR they are gonna reap, somebody is gonna be fucked up at Sony after this is over.

darkwing

MemoryofMaggot said:
My 80gig fat PS3 is still under the 3 year warranty that I bought, this would be a perfect time to see if I could take it back to get a slim...the only thing holding me back are my saves!

ahh if it was under warranty i would not go for the CMOS battery fix, in our area, we have no choice but DIY lols hence the CMOS thingy

Jeff-DSA

deathberry said:
Not to be a cold-hearted bastard, but at the expense of GAF, and all the PS3 owners around the world
including myself

And all fat PS3s around the world sebsequently brick. Such a clusterfuck in electronics hasn't been heard of in...forever.

Are you an idiot? Wait, why do I ask? Of course you're an idiot with a post like that.

I have a 60GB PS3 and I'd be absolutely pissed off if I'm not able to play me some Shadow of the Colossus whenever I want because some bug bricks the system.

macewank

mcdomination said:
In 8 hours all will be well.

If not, Sony will be sending out CD/DVDs with a FW update fix. the same option will be available to download and burn or xfer over to a thumbdrive.

in the worst case scenario, there would be no reason for recalls.

no need for a CD.. machine still connects to internet just fine, just not PSN. Internet firmware update would work fine

deepbrown

itxaka said:
Seems like this has already reached to the spanish midday news on TV. Also the 2 biggest newspapers have it on their online edition frontpage.

Huge bad PR they are gonna reap, somebody is gonna be fucked up at Sony after this is over.
All PR is good PR. That means they will all report on it when the problem is fixed.

linkboy

deathberry said:
including myself

I was kinda hoping that would happen with the Zune issue at the end of 2008.

Just to see the epic craziness that would happen.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
BobTheFork said:
well, so far those directions suck. There is no star screw and REmove the top PArt cover is very unclear.

Yeah I agree those directions don't seem very clear tbh.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Chip N Chance said:
Is there anyone with a 80GB (software emulation PS2) that's having problems? Im midway through my second Heavy Rain play through. But i can wait. I just want to know what the word is on that specific system.
My buddies got his hooked up to my TV and it has the problem, so it's probably best to wait.

offshore

itxaka said:

I'm not really sensing the "bad PR". At the moment it's confusion, with a bubbling undercurrent of frustration.

If it's not working in 8 hours, then it will be bad PR...

LCfiner

Danielsan said:
I understand that they're also playing the waiting game but at least tell your consumers what's up.

A simple:
Would suffice.

statements like that -- admitting fault -- might have legal ramifications that cost them money. best for them to just keep their mouths shut while we wait for 12:00 GMT.

+Aliken+

Danielsan said:

A simple:
Would suffice.

maybe it will not be...

RavenFox

Banned
LCfiner said:
statements like that -- admitting fault -- might have legal ramifications that cost them money. best for them to just keep their mouths shut while we wait for 12:00 GMT.
good point.

Nakasan

Danielsan said:

A simple:
Would suffice.

Yup. I'm not overly fussed about it at the minute, I think it'll either be hilarious to watch the fall out or my PS3 will work again tomorrow. Win Win.

What I don't like is Sony totally lying and saying it's a PSN issue. For some reason, that really winds me up. I genuinely feel afronted. They be playing me for a fool!

nib95

Banned
I'd be tempted to buy Sony shares if the PS3's stayed bricked post 00:00am. I'd imagine share prices would take such a dump there would be thousands to be made.

savor100

The ONLY thing that worries me about this whole issue is losing my Demon Souls save file (in the case the system bricks and they do a recall). I wouldn't mind getting a new slim and I could care less about my trophies.

Infinity

LegendOfGood said:
I should go to BB today and use the warranty on my fat to pick up a new Slim.

You really should. As much as BB pushes those extended warranties, it'd be worth cashing in on it.

But, if you have a 60GB BC fat, that might not be something you want to do unless necessary.

itxaka

Defeatist
offshore said:
I'm not really sensing the "bad PR". At the moment it's confusion, with a bubbling undercurrent of frustration.

If it's not working in 8 hours, then it will be bad PR...

Well, news are news. In their "story" they are claiming millions affected, trowing even the 20 million number out there. 20 fucking million out of their ass :lol

All PR is good PR. That means they will all report on it when the problem is fixed.

I won't be so sure. News is when something is fucked up. When something get backs to normal....well there is no interest from them to report on it.

Shadow780

Nakasan said:
Yup. I'm not overly fussed about it at the minute, I think it'll either be hilarious to watch the fall out or my PS3 will work again tomorrow. Win Win.

What I don't like is Sony totally lying and saying it's a PSN issue. For some reason, that really winds me up. I genuinely feel afronted. They be playing me for a fool!

Corporates lie all the time.

macewank said:
no need for a CD.. machine still connects to internet just fine, just not PSN. Internet firmware update would work fine

Well, that just makes it less to worry about then. Really, there's nothing to freak out about. This problem can and will be addressed....not because I trust Sony can do it (which I'm more than certain they can), but just from the nature of the problem.

noisome07

Banned
savor100 said:
The ONLY thing that worries me about this whole issue is losing my Demon Souls save file (in the case the system bricks and they do a recall). I wouldn't mind getting a new slim and I could care less about my trophies.
Why would the system brick?

darkwing

lowrider007 said:
Yeah I agree those directions don't seem very clear tbh.

sorry, but you can check youtube for some PS3 teardown instructions, i'll try get more specific instructions but i'm guessing the CMOS battery can be in different locations depending on the PS3 model

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
nib95 said:
I'd be tempted to buy Sony shares if the PS3's stayed bricked post 00:00am. I'd imagine share prices would take such a dump there would be thousands to be made.
Yep same thought for me. I'll buy up a few thousand dollars worth.

sifu

Neo Member
It's really weird that some phats some don't.
Just came from work to check if my 60GB BC works...and it works.
No Problem playing a game with trophies or without. PSN works fine too (didn't check the store)...
Will try my MGS PS3...

RavenFox

Banned
Nakasan said:

What would you like them to say sir? "Our system clock is fucked up so wait"? Honesty is great but going bankrupt isn't.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Chip N Chance said:

yes

Articate

Banned
itxaka said:
oh and from the last page someone mentioned this. If they are really checking leap years like this:

Code:
if (year % 2 == 0 ) {
return leap;
} else {
return notleap;
}

won't be that make 2012, 2014, 2016,etc... all leap years and prone to the same error? They are only checking if it's divisible by 2.

No. Even if they DID write their own calendar, even I know off the top of my head that it's:

Code:
if ((year % 4 == 0) && (year % 100 != 0) || (year % 400 == 0))
{
    leap_year();
}

and that will last for at least a thousand years. They are just not that stupid.

It is likely a check gone wrong, rather than calculation gone wrong.

eznark

Banned
deathberry said:
including myself

Not to be a cold hearted bastard but I hope you get hit by a bus. Paramedics should stay alert for the next 7.5 hours.

Mandoric

Banned
Coins said:
Its not a FW issue.

It's a FW issue, and one specifically with PSN functions. We wouldn't have a 100-page thread on GAF because the clock in the menus quit working, the problem is what the FW does when the clock quits working.

Top Bottom