• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CALENDAR BUG FIXED. READ OP - now I can play Bakugan Battle Brawlers, thank God

darkwing

BobTheFork said:
ok, got the BR drive out, but not seeing what the CMOS battery looks like, any one help?

it should be covered in a green rubber thingy, check the upper right corner of the board

Rubeus said:
That's weird, I just starting playing Uncharted 2 last night, and I connected to PSN and downloaded the upgrade 1.05 patch without any issues, and I have the oldest 60GB model.
you make me tempted to turn on my PS3.

but I shall wait. 7 hours is nothing.

Snookie

Well I was wondering why I couldnt sign on to PSN last night. I was watching a movie anyways so I didnt care that much. I have a 60GB unit so hopefully whatever fix comes doesn't break it. :(

Well, I guess I won't get going to BB after all. My fat is working for the most part. Date and time are right, Store works, I just can't download demos for some reason.

I guess I'm "OK."
No Slim for me :(

LegendOfGood said:
Well, I guess I won't get going to BB after all. My fat is working for the most part. Date and time are right, Store works, I just can't download demos for some reason.

I guess I'm "OK."
No Slim for me :(

Stop bein escared

darkwing said:
it should be covered in a green rubber thingy, check the upper right corner of the board
ugh, not seeing anyting green or any thing in the top right that looks like a cover. wish I could take picture.

NeoUltima

Huh, still no update from Sony? You just know they asses going to wait to see if it fixes itself in 7 hours.

They not going to risk an emergency firmware if it will fix itself.

Rubeus said:
That's weird, I just starting playing Uncharted 2 last night, and I connected to PSN and downloaded the upgrade 1.05 patch without any issues, and I have the oldest 60GB model.

Its not a problem if you are signed in, but once you sign (log) out of PSN people cant sign back in and stuff.

Briarios

LCfiner said:
statements like that -- admitting fault -- might have legal ramifications that cost them money. best for them to just keep their mouths shut while we wait for 12:00 GMT.

It may have legal ramifications, but it always backfires. Loss of sales and lawsuits will cost more than admitting fault. A study at the University of Michigan had doctors just saying "sorry," apologizing, and working towards a solution -- it cut lawsuits and the cost of issues by significant amounts.

If Sony just came out and said they were sorry about the issue and they'll be taking care of all the problems, the future ramifications would be far more positive. The actual goal of best practice PR is to create a win-win situation for the corporation and their public - when PR begins to focus on doing only what it best for the company, it's bound to fail because it pisses people off.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Caj814 said:
Dawn of
The First Day

t1267488000z0.png

-Remain-

:lol :lol

Nakasan

And we've definately ruled out the posibility this is just some awesome viral marketing alt reality meta game right?

Exano

Neo Member
I'm glad that my fat ps3 doesn't seem to be having any problems. I'm curious to see what Sony will do given their silence when there is very obviously a problem.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yenrot said:
I twould be a unique moment but it could possibly ruin the Playstation brand and loss Sony hundreds of millions.

Millions? It would lose them billions. If they had to replace 20m systems? You're talking maybe $6-7bn down the hole based on Sony's last indication of manufacturing cost. And that's just direct costs....the damage to ongoing business which would be pretty incalcuable. Platform growth would basically stall for at least several months as manufacturing would struggle to catch up on the number of systems to replace.

If you were talking about a situation where consoles had to be replaced en masse like that, I'd even go as far to say that it would likely wrap things up for the business...

Of course
...that won't happen. Even if clocks don't tick over properly at midnight, a firmware update will fix things up (in the worse case, they'd just have to tell the OS to ignore the system clock, and use some other ground truth for time). But yes, it would be monumental :p

NeoUltima

BobTheFork said:
ugh, not seeing anyting green or any thing in the top right that looks like a cover. wish I could take picture.
O nice, someone trying to test the battery removal/replace fix? :D

Yeah...can't help you beyond what has been said. It could be in a green rubber casing or just sitting there in a socket or w/e. Looks like a big watch battery.

I still don't quite understand how this clock could have such a ridiculous bug.

The rules for leap year are:

1). If the year is evenly divisible by 4, go to step 2. Otherwise, go to step 5.
2). If the year is evenly divisible by 100, go to step 3. Otherwise, go to step 4.
3). If the year is evenly divisible by 400, go to step 4. Otherwise, go to step 5.
4). The year is a leap year (it has 366 days).
5). The year is not a leap year (it has 365 days).

2010 isn't evenly divisible by 4. Failure on step 1. How the hell did it make it past 2007 and 2009 though with no issue?

mccarthy-youre-doing-it-wrong-s.jpg

theBishop

Banned
Now that youtube has a subtitles feature, any swinging dick off the street can make a hitler video. Poorly received birthday gifts. High school class election results. Pet illness.

Vanille

NeoUltima said:
Huh, still no update from Sony? You just know they asses going to wait to see if it fixes itself in 7 hours.

Yep, pretty much all they can do at this point is wait it out.

dolemite

NeoUltima said:
A reassuring response from Sony would be nice.

Also, lol at the GAF-assisted PS3 surgery over the internet. I've seen it all now in this thread.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Dead Man Typing said:
It's the same joke made on one of the first pages of this thread, but in video form.

That was a joke? I thought something could only be defined as a joke if it was funny...

Hylian7

BarrenMind said:
I still don't quite understand how this clock could have such a ridiculous bug.

The rules for leap year are:

1). If the year is evenly divisible by 4, go to step 2. Otherwise, go to step 5.
2). If the year is evenly divisible by 100, go to step 3. Otherwise, go to step 4.
3). If the year is evenly divisible by 400, go to step 4. Otherwise, go to step 5.
4). The year is a leap year (it has 366 days).
5). The year is not a leap year (it has 365 days).

2010 isn't evenly divisible by 4. Failure on step 1. How the hell did it make it past 2007 and 2009 though with no issue?

http://lemonodor.com/images/mccarthy-youre-doing-it-wrong-s.jpg
Who knows? I started my undergrad Computer Science degree, and we learned how to make an if statement to determine a leap year within the first three weeks of my intro to programming class. It was in Java, but still, if this is something people are learning in intro to programming classes, how did they screw this up?!

Razor210

dolemite said:

Also, lol at the GAF-assisted PS3 surgery over the internet. I've seen it all now in this thread.
I'm in the "wait and see" camp. I don't trust myself to do it, and nobody knows the ramifications of this in the future.

NeoUltima said:
O nice, someone trying to test the battery removal/replace fix? :D

Yeah...can't help you beyond what has been said. It could be in a green rubber casing or just sitting there in a socket or w/e. Looks like a big watch battery.
could this internals changed from mine to the one they tried? this is a luanch unit, and there is definitly not watch battery or anything similar visible.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
TheRagnCajun said:
If it is a leap year bug I'm surpised the problem isn't totally universal.
Someone mentioned it had to do with clocks from a certain manufacturer. Which is why Slims work great and a number of fats work good too.

theBishop

Banned
Nakasan said:
And we've definately ruled out the posibility this is just some awesome viral marketing alt reality meta game right?

The timing is a bit suspicious considering the massive playstation.com overhaul over the weekend. And I also noticed my portable ID looks different:

thebishop.png

(used to be dark)

epmode

dolemite said:
"Hey guys, we know a few million of you can't play your games but we're just going to wait it out. It might fix itself in a few hours. Just play it by ear!"

bluehat9

Chip N Chance said:
I wonder how many people that are out of warranty are going to buy a new system. Sony even said that PS3's are in scarce demand right now.
I know I was going to buy a slim when I first got the error yesterday since I didn't feel like spending another $150 for a refurb (had my 40gig repaired in June). Went online to see if Best Buy's near me had any in stock, but found this thread first.

Yazuka

Dreams-Visions said:
ALL FAT PS3'S ARE EFFECTED. ALL OF THEM.
As said by others. Not true! My 160gn Ps3 phat it still working fine.
Shos the correct time and I can play games with trophies.

BobTheFork said:
could this internals changed from mine to the one they tried? this is a luanch unit, and there is definitly not watch battery or anything similar visible.

No battery means your PS3 would forget what time it is every time you unplugged it, which doesn't happen. Keep searching.

Dipswitch

I noticed this randomly on my phat 80GB model last night. Didn't really impact me because I intended to watch a movie, but I did spend a few minutes troubleshooting it before giving up. Just checked and it's still porked.

Not a big deal for me personally, but I can imagine folks who use their PS3's to play online regularly aren't happy.

Top Bottom