• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CALENDAR BUG FIXED. READ OP - now I can play Bakugan Battle Brawlers, thank God

Beezy

sir-topham-hatt.jpg

"Sony, you have caused confusion and delay."

LM4sure said:
Who are the idiots at Sony just waiting around to see if it fixes itself? This is unacceptable. I guess this is what you get with a free online service. You can bet Microsoft would be trying a bit harder to resolve such an issue since people are shelling out money to use their service.
:lol

LiK

Vgamer said:
Wow I hope this does not mean that game saves will not be able to be restored if they where done while this bug was in effect.
Hope not. Just do something else guys. Altho I think bitchin on GAF is well worth the time hehe

alr1ghtstart said:
Update @ 12 GMT

"Good news, we automatically fixed the problem. No need for a firmware update. You're welcome."

This!!!! :lol

krypt0nian said:
Far quicker to wait til it corrects itself. No way to research, code, test and distribute a fix before then anyway right?

Yep. I'm positive that they are going to wait and see if it fixes itself. If it does, they'll compile the code later. If it doesn't, the monkeys are going to get spanked and start compiling that shit!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BarrenMind said:
I still don't quite understand how this clock could have such a ridiculous bug.

The rules for leap year are:

1). If the year is evenly divisible by 4, go to step 2. Otherwise, go to step 5.
2). If the year is evenly divisible by 100, go to step 3. Otherwise, go to step 4.
3). If the year is evenly divisible by 400, go to step 4. Otherwise, go to step 5.
4). The year is a leap year (it has 366 days).
5). The year is not a leap year (it has 365 days).

2010 isn't evenly divisible by 4. Failure on step 1. How the hell did it make it past 2007 and 2009 though with no issue?

mccarthy-youre-doing-it-wrong-s.jpg
Oh, if you account for the expected life of the system (Sony will not give you tech support on your PS3 in 90 years) you could of just screwed the rest of the rules and simply done:

if (year % 4 = 0)
leapYear=1
else
leapYear=0

Really, I just wonder how the code could of been writen to cause this problem, unless they programed the system clock to think every other year was a leap year, but thats a really dumb mistake to make.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
alr1ghtstart said:
Update @ 12 GMT

"Good news, we automatically fixed the problem. No need for a firmware update. You're welcome."

If it does correct itself and Sony don't do anything does that mean all this will happen again in 4 years time?

Ranger X

I don't understand this "fix itself" possible outcome some of you are throwing around.

Won't the system think it's the first of March when we will actually be the second of March? How it is different than now with the system thinking it's the 29 of feb while we are the first of March??

gcubed

Dreams-Visions said:
cool.

I'll say, "a majority", then. and I'm certainly inclined to believe that the minority who are experiencing no issues aren't because of a special set of circumstances (like their PS3's being off for awhile or some such).

there is no manufacturing subset of fat PS3's that are immune.

CECHA01 - Problems
CECHE01 - Problems
CECHG01 - Problems
CECHH01 - Problems
CECHK01 - Problems

or you missed the 40 posts mentioning that anything before CECHL is most likely borked, everyone with a CECHL is fine reporting in here (myself included)

Vgamer said:
Wow I hope this does not mean that game save data will not be able to be restored if they were done while this bug was in effect.

Restore certain data? What data could not be restored?! Ive been playing UC2 and Sonic & Sega; I hope it doesnt mean my data will go "bad"

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
LM4sure said:
Who are the idiots at Sony just waiting around to see if it fixes itself? This is unacceptable. I guess this is what you get with a free online service. You can bet Microsoft would be trying a bit harder to resolve such an issue since people are shelling out money to use their service.

Do I really need to quote your tag ?

LM4sure

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Update @ 12 GMT

has nothing to do with PSN

Well it's affecting MY PSN, so yeah, it does.

crispyben

Dreams-Visions said:
cool.

I'll say, "a majority", then. and I'm certainly inclined to believe that the minority who are experiencing no issues aren't because of a special set of circumstances (like their PS3's being off for awhile or some such).

there is no manufacturing subset of fat PS3's that are immune.

CECHA01 - Problems
CECHE01 - Problems
CECHG01 - Problems
CECHH01 - Problems
CECHK01 - Problems
What about CECHL, CECHM, CECHN, CECHO, CECHP, CECHQ? They're also fat, yet reports indicate that they're not hit...

Dragon

Banned
Ranger X said:
I don't understand this "fix itself" possible outcome some of you are throwing around.

Won't the system think it's the first of March when we will actually be the second of March? How it is different than now with the system thinking it's the 29 of feb while we are the first of March??

One's a valid date and one isn't?

Ranger X said:

29.02.2010 -> doesn't exist, system don't like
01.03.2010 -> does exist, system like, everything fine

Hudson06

Neo Member
Noooooooo!

I just woke up. Lovely March 2nd here in New Zealand.

My Playstation is still shitting the bed - 01/01/2000 same as yesterday.

Fugu

Dreams-Visions said:
lol.

do you realize how stupid a suggestion that is in a 100-page, 5,000+ post thread?

how about you read through the damn thread and find the posts. see how fun that is for you. :lol

the PS3's that I know of that are fat and "fine" are few and far between. problems are far and away the most common experience. let's not pretend otherwise. there's no point to it.
Oh yes, what a ludicrous suggestion it is for me to say that you should be informed before you post.

You're wrong, and if you read the thread, you'll learn that pretty quickly. In fact, in the time it took you to respond to this, someone quoted my post saying that their 60GB model works fine. Perhaps you should read the thread.

LM4sure said:

Yet, MS deliberately cut corners in hardware design and QA in order to cut cost and knowingly launches a ticking bomb that only took months upon months before getting fixed...

How would you know what SONY is working on at the moment?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
krypt0nian said:
Far quicker to wait til it corrects itself. No way to research, code, test and distribute a fix before then anyway right?

Maybe not, but I think they may want to release a software fix anyway, if dates are going to be 'off by 1' after midnight gmt. I know you could fix this via your OS settings yourself anyway, but the system clock being off by one might have unforeseen consequences. So if the system clock can be written to by firmware, I think they will put out an update to fix that even if systems 'right themselves' from a behaviour POV at midnight.

gcubed

Ranger X said:

the os clock is fubared at trying to set itself to a date that doesnt exist, when the system clock is set to March 1st tomorrow, the OS will just set itself to March 1st.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Saiyar said:
If it does correct itself and Sony don't do anything does that mean all this will happen again in 4 years time?
Most likely they will ether try to make a firmware patch, or just say "Screw it, its a known problem, put it in the help database and call it a day"

Raist

Banned
LM4sure said:

:lol :lol :lol

Just like it took them 2 years to admit that their hardware had huge design flaws, right?

Talamius

LM4sure said:

As evidenced by Microsoft's stellar hardware quality?

It's ironic that the Wii, the console slammed as low quality and cheap, appears to have the best build quality.

Dementia

So, have there been any updates since last night on what the problem is/how and when it can be fixed, or are Sony still sitting on their hands waiting for midnight GMT to see if that will fix their problems for them?

xero273

Ranger X said:

Because Feb 29 is not a valid date. System clock is reporting Feb 29. While the other clock does some conversion to convert to your current time, it get an error because Feb 29 does not exist. So when system clock goes to March 1st, the other clock will be able to convert to something that exists. That's the way I understand it.

LM4sure said:

Zune says LO-FUCKING-L!

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow it didnt increment at all?

GMT. It'll increment at GMT i.e. 7 hours.

itxaka

Defeatist
Tryckser said:
29.02.2010 -> doesn't exist, system don't like
01.03.2010 -> does exist, system like, everything fine

What I don't understand is, if the main clock, that can't be changed, is the master so to speak, why won't the OS clock just accept whatever it says and shut ups? shouldn't it has a priority of which clock acts as main and which one as slave?

You can't change the internal one, so you have to expect it to be always right. Can't wrap my head around this.

Here's our latest statement on the PSN issues. We'll update you further when a fix is available. http://bit.ly/cjDYV9

So new update in like 6 hours, amirite?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
LiK said:
Hudson06 said:
Noooooooo!

I just woke up. Lovely March 2nd here in New Zealand.

My Playstation is still shitting the bed - 01/01/2000 same as yesterday.
GMT GMT GMT

That's right. You can have your PS3 back when we say so and not a minute before.

shagg_187 said:
Zune says LO-FUCKING-L!

The Zune bug wasn't caused by Microsoft, it was a fault in one of the chips and affected a number of mobile phones as well. just sayin'

Dragon

Banned
LM4sure said:

We don't know what Sony is doing. This is all conjecture. However, before you start waxing poetical about the glory of Microsoft, just know this same exact bug happened to the Zune.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9124638/Zune_chokes_on_leap_year_bug

Reading the article, they did indeed just wait for it to fix itself. So I think the idiot is you :lol

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow it didnt increment at all?

GMT
GMT
GMT
GMT
GMT
GMT
GMT
GMT

I'm betting on Sony waiting for it to fix itself but I'd bet the house that there is a required firmware update at 0gmt so they give the impression they fixed it

Top Bottom