• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CALENDAR BUG FIXED. READ OP - now I can play Bakugan Battle Brawlers, thank God

Mandoric

Banned
BarrenMind said:
True, but this means this particular clock will always be a day behind.

I guess we all better watch out on 2/27/2011.

There's already a time zone function, just take an affected unit into the labs, force it to roll over Feb->Mar for every year until 2025, and ship a .1 firmware upgrade that adds 24 hours per fail year to the TZ adjustment. Have the OS treat Feb 29 as Mar 1 after that, anyone still playing 20 years after release can deal with fixing their clock at most once a year.

gamerecks said:
Christ, people who think Sony isnt doing anything are stupid. Finding the problem, correcting it and making sure it works across all affected sku's takes time, especially when its millions of systems affected. I understand that the whole thing is frustrating but saying Sony isnt doing anything is just ridiculous.

They are not doing anything, they cannot. They have to let the system clock correct itself, then they can release a small patch to tidy up the OS sometime in the future.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
LM4sure said:
Most of this people in this thread's PSN is NOT! So no, it's not fine.

PSN is working fine. PSN = PlayStation Network. The PlayStation Network is working. What isn't working is YOUR ability to ACCESS PSN. The thing you're connecting to, PlayStation Network, is up, functional, and working as normal. YOUR PS3 cannot connect to it, but it is up and working.

There is no problem with PSN. There is a problem with your PS3.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Truespeed said:
It's quite easy. Sparky, the PS3 firmware intern, decided to roll his own date math code instead of using the tried and true stdlib API's.
Not really. This was an error that was in embedded hardware that has nothing to do with PS3's firmware. Well, they could have made firmware aware of the problem and implement a workaround, after they saw how the same thing happened with Zune (which had the same clock hardware in it) so boo on them for not being proactive about it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
UnblessedSoul said:
Lol I bet the Sony monkeys don't have a clue on how to fix the problem so they will just wait till tomorrow to see if the error disappears

They probably do but how would you download a patch if you can't use your PS3?

So they can either rush out a firmware update or just wait until tomorrow to get back online. Seriously, the amount of stupidity in this thread and the internet as a whole on this issue is fucking amazing.

Merovin

I haven't turned my PS3 on since Saturday luckily, and this is the first I've heard of this. If I turn it on now, make sure the date is set to 1st March, is it going to work okay? This is quite a bizarre situation!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lord Error said:
Not really. This was an error that was in embedded hardware that has nothing to do with PS3's firmware. Well, they could have made firmware aware of the problem and implement a workaround, after they saw how the same thing happened with Zune (which had the same clock hardware in it) so boo on them for not being proactive about it.

Are we sure it's the same hardware?

If so, why didn't PS3 bug out when Zune did (end of last year, I believe?)?

D4Danger said:

People can use their PS3s. Can update their firmware if any comes along too. 'Just' can't log onto PSN and are getting some other time-related error weirdness.

Raist

Banned
LM4sure said:
It's not a "PSN issue" but it's affecting my PSN. That's ALL I care about. So yeah, to me it's an issue with PSN. CAn't login. THat my friend is an issue.

If your fingers were broken and you couldn't use a pen anymore, would you blame the pen for not working?

Xater

D4Danger said:

Has already been said a thousand times but just for you: Firmware updates don't need a PSN connection.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Summary: PS3 slim is good to go, older models should be fine within 24 hrs. Leave em off until then.
jeffrubenstein - 1 min ago

It will fix itself, damm the PS3 is awesome!

Awesome!

UnblessedSoul said:
Lol I bet the Sony monkeys don't have a clue on how to fix the problem so they will just wait till tomorrow to see if the error disappears

There must be a solution, or else developers would be crying out more or something. There doesnt seem to be any developers crying foul this late in the day.

anddo0 said:
would be true expect we can still play a few select games... Although, according to Sony, we shouldn't turn on the PS3 AT ALL.

Naa, Sony is just reading what we are saying. They don't know how bad the problem is or how much did it fuck shit up.

Stop It said:
True, but PSN will STILL think the date is out (After all, it might not change to March 1st 2010, but Jan 1st 2000?), and if it cannot be changed, it will still screw up.

This will be interesting, I'm 90% sure the problem will just correct itself at midnight (I.E the system clock will resolve to the PSN and thus be changeable again, but the execs at Sony better be preying it isn't 10% time and a huge recall.

Because that'll prove that the guys at SCE actually have no idea what to do, other than hope like the rest of us that the issue will resolve itself?

Yep. That and they better fucking supply Firmware update disc to the stores if it doesn't fix itself.

Fersis said:
Summary: PS3 slim is good to go, older models should be fine within 24 hrs. Leave em off until then.

Awesome!

GAF > Internet > GAF.

Again, this is what they THINK should happen. If it doesn't fix itself, then get ready to be fucked... hard!

gcubed

it would take them more then 24 hours to get an update out, so they wait it out and incorporate the fix in a future update.

Mik2121

I have a question:

If this bug is because the PS3 thinks this is a leap year when it isn't, what will happen when there's an actual leap year and the PS3 changes to March 1st when there's still February 29th?

Xater said:
So Sony really is just lying and waiting for it to fix itself? :lol

If the thing fixes itself, it's a better solution than trying to rush out a firmware update without proper QA. They'll have a solution, but I expect a new firmware AFTER a successful date change.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
lol i remember when this happened to my Zune, its amazing how big companies fuck up such simple things. In that case (I imagine this one too) it wasn't down to anything MS had programmed, it was some code on one of the chips firmware that was busted.

Fersis said:

Awesome!

Wow that is good! Sounds like it'll just fix itself life everyone thought.

How long until the "This is RRoD levels of Failure" articles start showing up on major news sites?

I can't wait. :lol I haven't played a game on my PS3 in months, so waiting isn't an issue. I'm here for the public meltdown.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Merovin said:
I haven't turned my PS3 on since Saturday luckily, and this is the first I've heard of this. If I turn it on now, make sure the date is set to 1st March, is it going to work okay? This is quite a bizarre situation!
At this point, just wait until the countdown hits 0 before turning on your system.

t1267487940z0.png

HEY LISTEN
The CMOS batter is my unit (launch 20gig) is actaully under the FRONT RIGHT of the system, just under the plate at the power switches. I dont know if I can get to it but it's there. I'm going full out with this.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BruceWayneIII said:
If the thing fixes itself, it's a better solution than trying to rush out a firmware update without proper QA. They'll have a solution, but I expect a new firmware AFTER a successful date change.

They don't need a solution if this can happen again in 4 years time. You know all fats will be YLOD'd by then anyway.

X-Burner

Banned
Wow seems like everyone is taking their anger out on eachother in this thread. And lol at the fail attempt at trolling on the previous page.

Mik2121 said:
I have a question:

If this bug is because the PS3 thinks this is a leap year when it isn't, what will happen when there's an actual leap year and the PS3 changes to March 1st when there's still February 29th?

I think by that time everyone will already have a PS3 Slim :p

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
GodfatherX said:
I'm betting on Sony waiting for it to fix itself but I'd bet the house that there is a required firmware update at 0gmt so they give the impression they fixed it

Adding another clock also. Seems like Sony really stuck it to all of us that were complaining about the numerous 'clock fixes' via firmware.. Remember all those good times...

Some of you fanboys are fucking dense. Who gives a shit why people are having issues? Don't give a shit if it is or isn't PSN. Don't care if you can log in with a slim or not. I only care that my shit doesn't work and wan't it fixed. Can't believe I spent $600 on this shit.

Violater

Fersis said:

Awesome!

You sure he isn't getting his info from this thread ? :lol

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
I have a question:

Easy, it will assplode again.

Fersis said:

Awesome!

ItOnlyFixesItself.jpg

someone do it!

gregor7777 said:
How long until the "This is RRoD levels of Failure" articles start showing up on major news sites?

I can't wait. :lol I haven't played a game on my PS3 in months, so waiting isn't an issue. I'm here for the public meltdown.
they won't unless people have to send in their PS3's for repair. that really would be apocalyptic for Sony.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
XxBigP123xX said:
So they can either rush out a firmware update or just wait until tomorrow to get back online. Seriously, the amount of stupidity in this thread and the internet as a whole on this issue is fucking amazing.

Internet overreacting? That's unheard of!

Raist

Banned
Mik2121 said:
I have a question:

Nothing will happen. The date will be wrong and that's it. In 4 years tho, if they haven't done anything to fix it, it'll be fucked up again.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
gregor7777 said:

You really think anyone other than that one guy in this thread can be so stupid to think that a problem that won't let you login online or play some games, and that auto corrects itself after 24h, can be compared to massive permanent hardware failures?

Top Bottom