• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CALENDAR BUG FIXED. READ OP - now I can play Bakugan Battle Brawlers, thank God

iammeiam

What's the earliest date you can manually set a fat to? The slims roll from 2000 to 2099; if the fats allow 1999 by hand, there'd have to be some fundamental differences in the way the calendar is structured.

This is the PS3's first even year that's not a leap year, right? So the Leap Year thing could I supposed come into play if somebody borked some piece of code somewhere, it decided on one level to try to roll to 2/29, only to have some other component claim 2/29/2010 doesn't exist, PS3 freaks out, rolls back to earliest possible date?

This has to be the most amazing console breakdown I've ever seen--really hope we get full discolsure on the cause.

Lion Heart said:
I want to play Heavy Rain, should I unplug my ethernet first? (haven't turned the console on since last night).
You can try. I unplugged my Ethernet cable and I still can't play Heavy Rain (something about trophies)

ambalek

Interesting facts:

1. Error 8001050f is displayed when trying to sign into PSN
2. The error is displayed quickly, as if it doesn't even try to connect
3. Affected downloadable titles show 8001050f on launch without even trying to connect to PSN
4. Your clock gets reset
5. The problem started at midnight
6. Dynamic themes show up as "corrupted"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
truly101 said:
It was the same with me. I downloaded the HR patch AFTER the issue, hoping that would be the fix. Then I found that I couldn't access any of my PS One games I downloaded. It has to be a clock/calender bug since thats the only that could trigger widespread issues offline. Maybe Sony thought 2010 was a leap year and tomorrow was supposed to be 2/29....

I'd like to think Sony would be smart enough to do a 15 second google search to confirm their assumption....

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
TTP said:
So it's definitely some voodoo going on here.

Bug in the calender software application, sets date to a impossible value, impossible value interferes with PSN DRM. There you go.

Vgamer

This reminds me of the Zune bug when they all broke at once from some bug. This could be a huge mess for Sony.

Note to everyone: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHECK IF PSN IS WORKING OR NOT. Wait for an official word on the fix.

Taking this gamble has a high probability that your PS3 will:

1. Erase the trophy information;
2. Give you error for certain PSN syncing games;
3. Reset the PS3 date;
4. Mess up everything you downloaded from PSN (including themes).

If you have NOT turned on your PS3 in the last 4 hours, then it's best to DISCONNECT your ethernet cable (or disconnect your router and change PS3 settings to wired, if you are on wireless). Play all those single-player games that you neglected and failed to finish! :p

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
On my friend's list Kittonwy is on, doesn't the sexy kitteh have a 60 or 80 GB fatty PS3?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I DID IT TO YOUR PS3s

ALL OF YOU

I AM REROUTING THE POWER TO MY FUTURE COPY OF KILLZONE 3 NOW

YES

I ADMIT IT

I AM THE Y2K BUG CODENAME Y2KEV

I DID IT AND I WOULD DO IT AGAIN IF I COULD

MUHAUHAUHA

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
PSN: Dead
PS3: 20 Gig

I was downloading a movie at the time everything seemed to die. I was able to finish downloading the movie, but once it finished anything relating to the PSN is done. I can't even update my system's clock via the internet, which is how I noticed the problem in the first place (I had to update the clock this way to start the movie rental time).

Treo360

Stardust only works in Demo mode with sound disabled. WTF??

Well the good thing is that BF:BC 2 don't arrive till tuesday so it better be fixed by then.
OH
PSN: No
Model: Fat sexy 20gb.

Razor210

shagg_187 said:
Note to everyone: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHECK IF PSN IS WORKING OR NOT. Wait for an official word on the fix.

3. Reset the PS3 date;

If you have NOT turned on your PS3 in the last 4 hours, then it's best to play offline. Play all those single-player games that you neglected and failed to finish! :p
Thanks for the heads up.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The more I think of it the more I believe is a local clock related bug affecting the fatties. There is no other explaination. I don't think it's PSN related. Actually, the same clock bug can be affecting the PSN as well.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
kamorra said:
Bug in the calender software application, sets date to a impossible value, impossible value interferes with PSN DRM. There you go.

but even if it's an out of range integer/date, it should work once you change to another time, I think it's probably a bit more serious

ok I'm really freaked out. I have a 20gig PS3 (upgraded to 320gig) and the last time I was on PSN was when trine was on sale. Should I avoid turning on my PS3 since I'm reading that some games and trophies don't work even while offline and not connected to PSN?

ambalek

shagg_187 said:

3. Reset the PS3 date;

If you have NOT turned on your PS3 in the last 4 hours, then it's best to DISCONNECT your ethernet cable (or disconnect your router and change PS3 settings to wired, if you are on wireless). Play all those single-player games that you neglected and failed to finish! :p

How could it erase your trophy data? Magically connect to Sony's servers and delete it?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kamorra said:

Yep. I think that's it. Odd it affects fat systems only tho.

Ravidrath

To explore the leap year theory, BTW...

It seems like it started around midnight GMT? Since all the times are likely based on GMT, that would make sense.

Well I'm not going to turn on my 60GB to find out. I was playing Grandia yesterday and would love to do so, but if its going to fuck something up, to hell with that!

Sanjuro

So I enter camp Sony once again this Friday and this happens?

I'm on right now having no problems...but I'm taking notes down.

cory

Banned
TTP said:
The more I think of it the more I believe is a local clock related bug affecting the fatties. There is no other explaination. I don't think it's PSN related. Actually, the same clock bug can be affecting the PSN as well.
Yeah, it definitely seems like two similar problems at the same time, one on the PS3 side, and one on the PSN side.

GraveRobberX said:
On my friend's list Kittonwy is on, doesn't the sexy kitteh have a 60 or 80 GB fatty PS3?

From people who revealed whether PSN is working or not, what I've noticed is that people in Canada (and some parts of UK) are not having this problem. Yeah, Kittonwy has a 60GB PS3. My FAT PS3 is working too. (Fuckup can be completely random though).

ambalek said:
How could it erase your trophy data? Magically connect to Sony's servers and delete it?

Again... from what I'm reading: It tries to sync with PSN, fails to sync and deletes the trophy data for that particular game on your PS3. Most likely when PSN is online again, it will recognize the fuckup. If it doesn't then you're screwed.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm at a friends house and it's not signing in at all... Also, this is the message I get when trying to go to the US playstation site; "get flash and/or enable javascript and stop wasting my time." :s

TTP said:
yeah, that was what i was figuring..

Vgamer

Warren Ellis said:
so basically, it is a bug in the firmware that was triggered by today's date. Great.

How will they fix this for the people who dont go online with their ps3s I wonder?? Will thousands of people have to mail their ps3s into Sony?

glaurung

Jesus mother of mercy, how can SONY fail with the simple 29th of February date error???

This is uncanny, I encountered the same error a few days ago with a CRM application.

*shakes head with disappointment

Top Bottom