• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[ps3] F1 Championship Edition

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
We need some pictures from tracks that are not just 'regular' racing circuits. Something like Monaco that goes through city and has various environments. Monaco was the track in the TGS demo and it looked really awesome.

Dave Long

Banned
Gek54 said:
No, this GTR2
f0aed53820.jpg

Thanks. I didn't feel like finding a good pic.

Trust me... after you've seen GTR2 and some recent PC games even on modest hardware, as good as this F1 game looks, it's really not life changing at all.

Plus... GTR2 has 28 player online multiplayer and some of the best physics ever to grace a racing simulation. And I mean simulation, not what Gran Turismo terms "simulation".

theBishop

Banned
Dave Long said:

Trust me... after you've seen GTR2 and some recent PC games even on modest hardware, as good as this F1 game looks, it's really not life changing at all.

Plus... GTR2 has 28 player online multiplayer and some of the best physics ever to grace a racing simulation. And I mean simulation, not what Gran Turismo terms "simulation".

ooh... vitrolic.

LJ11

OT, but is the 360 version of GTR still being developed? I haven't heard a thing about that game since the announcement.

Dave Long

Banned
LJ11 said:
OT, but is the 360 version of GTR still being developed? I haven't heard a thing about that game since the announcement.

Yes, as far as I'm aware, it should come out in spring of 2007. It was never intended for 2006.

LJ11

Dave Long said:
Yes, as far as I'm aware, it should come out in spring of 2007. It was never intended for 2006.

Good to hear, but it would be nice if they put something out there for us to see. I'm guessing it's a fall '07 release correct?

Dazzyman

Cheers for pics DCharlie ended up ordering it after that :lol If i get stuck on the career I will give you a shout though so be warned :lol

FightyF

Banned
<<-- see that little blue square that I have right beside my username?

I got that when I said that this game had way too much blur, not only according to pics, but also according to a video.

And after looking at some of these pics I gotta say it again...there's too much blur! Tone it down for Pete's sake!

Dave Long said:

In my humble opinion GTR2 looks less lifelike than F1 Championship. I think this is mostly because of the lack of extra effects. GTR2 is very detailed yes, but it looks almost too clean in non official screenshots.

And with 28 cars even a not so moderate system has difficulty holding up a decent framerate.

Gek54

PjotrStroganov said:
In my humble opinion GTR2 looks less lifelike than F1 Championship. I think this is mostly because of the lack of extra effects. GTR2 is very detailed yes, but it looks almost too clean in non official screenshots.

And with 28 cars even a not so moderate system has difficulty holding up a decent framerate.

How does "too clean" = "less lifelike", or do you mean "less like blurry camera footage"

My slightly OCed Anthlon XP 2400 and Geforce 6800 does GTR2 at 1024X768 with full effects v-synced at 60fps only droping during a massive pile up wrecks.

Flo_Evans said:
hey gek how come when DL GTR2 demo it looks like this:

grab002gy4.jpg

and not the image you posted???

The screenshot is dull because an empty pitlane does look dull. Also, the pic may not be taken at full high visual settings.
GTR2 DOES look like Gek's pics when on the right settings/hardware.

Gek54 said:
How does "too clean" = "less lifelike", or do you mean "less like blurry camera footage"

Better lighting= more lifelike I guess.

My slightly OCed Anthlon XP 2400 and Geforce 6800 does GTR2 at 1024X768 with full effects v-synced at 60fps only droping during a massive pile up wrecks.

Good for you. I've heard otherwise from a buddy of mine. This was half a year ago though, so maybe his system is already mediocre.

Flo_Evans

Unbiased Basturd said:
The screenshot is dull because an empty pitlane does look dull. Also, the pic may not be taken at full high visual settings.
GTR2 DOES look like Gek's pics when on the right settings/hardware.

its on full settings... the game just does not look all that good. It looks better in replay, but even then has been easily surpassed.

Gek54

Flo_Evans said:
its on full settings... the game just does not look all that good. It looks better in replay, but even then has been easily surpassed.

Nope, the game looks just as good during play.
gtr2.jpg

Gek54 said:
Nope, the game looks just as good during play.
gtr2.jpg

Would you do us a favour and post some of your own full res screens?;)

I'm sure will not kill the argument, but I'm seriously interested in how the game looks on your system.

Flo_Evans

I can save you the trouble, it bet it looks exactly like it looks on my machine. I have a 6800 just like gek, PC sim nuts are just putting this games graphics on a pedestal as usual. It looks really good but is clearly a DX9 era game.

grab001ml5.jpg

mashoutposse

Ante Up
928392_111606_screen032.jpg

F1 looks significantly better than GTR2, especially in motion. F1's motion blur implementation is extremely good and captures perfectly the sense of speed of 170+mph. It looks amazing passing over the grid at 180mph.

This is before one factors in lighting, which is not even a contest.

RaijinFY

fivehorizons said:
:D

Nice video looks almost better than the screenshots. Whats the deal with the glitch in the pits? The car went right through the other one and that car didnt leave the pits til you did? Also your first problem was picking Button :D

Like how the in-game stuff looks way better than the replays lol... :D

Norse

The game doesnt lok as good at it should for running on a next gen system.....some times I think devs are lazy as they know on a launch system anything will sell. The rain "replays" look cool, but nothing else stands out as next gen. And why are we always showing replay shots in racers? You dont play the game in replay mode, so who frickin cares if those look good. The in-game shots are what interest me.

bee

game looks fairly nice, maybe this will be another motorstorm where significant features will be added to the western release? i.e force feedback , hopefully at least.

would only be a rental for me though at most, i love f1 but the cars simply have too much grip to be any fun in a game.

btw arguing over graphics in racing sims is funny as your clearly missing the point.

LJ11

Norse said:
The game doesnt lok as good at it should for running on a next gen system.....some times I think devs are lazy as they know on a launch system anything will sell. The rain "replays" look cool, but nothing else stands out as next gen. And why are we always showing replay shots in racers? You dont play the game in replay mode, so who frickin cares if those look good. The in-game shots are what interest me.

Did you play any last gen F1 games? This is a significant step up IMO.

SumGamer

Fight for Freeform said:
<<-- see that little blue square that I have right beside my username?

I got that when I said that this game had way too much blur, not only according to pics, but also according to a video.

And after looking at some of these pics I gotta say it again...there's too much blur! Tone it down for Pete's sake!

It seems there is too much blur because it is a still image. If you try the game yourself you will be fascinated at how good the sense of the speed is. Although I've never been in a F1 seat but I'm sure it will look like this :D

The rain effect is gorgeous but I dont really care about that. It's the sense of speed that made me so interested in this game.

Haunted

Norse said:
The game doesnt lok as good at it should for running on a current-gen system.....some times I think devs are lazy as they know on a launch system anything will sell. The rain "replays" look cool, but nothing else stands out as current-gen. And why are we always showing replay shots in racers? You dont play the game in replay mode, so who frickin cares if those look good. The in-game shots are what interest me.
fixed. get with the times man!

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Norse said:

Are you serious?

987_0012.jpg

987_0013.jpg

987_0002.jpg

987_0016.jpg

This game actually looks better in gameplay shots than in the replays...

the game looks crazy fast even for a 30-fps framerate, after watching the playsyde video.....the right amount of blur, lighting, and screen shaking when your in the cockpit view makes the game seem like ur really going at 180mph

FightyF

Banned
SumGamer said:
It seems there is too much blur because it is a still image. If you try the game yourself you will be fascinated at how good the sense of the speed is. Although I've never been in a F1 seat but I'm sure it will look like this :D

The rain effect is gorgeous but I dont really care about that. It's the sense of speed that made me so interested in this game.

I'm sorry, nothing against you, and it's not like I don't trust you, but judging from the vids, and all of these pics...it's waaaay overdone.

My PS3 should be in tomorrow and I'll see for myself...but it looks asstacular to me right now. We'll see tomorrow!

xaosslug

game looks good, thanks for the shots/impressions DCharlie!

DCharlie said:
Norse said:
the last set of rain shots are all in game.

:lol ...owned.

as an aside, why do you guys always have to bring your stupid into impression threads? Can't peeps just appreciate a game without all the "it's nice, but Y game on X console will/does look better/do it right" bullshit? Jeez.

Norse

xaosslug said:
game looks good, thanks for the shots/impressions DCharlie!

:lol ...owned.

as an aside, why do you guys always have to bring your stupid into impression threads? Can't peeps just appreciate a game without all the "it's nice, but Y game on X console will/does look better/do it right" bullshit? Jeez.

get a life...not once did I mention any other consoles. I said I expect more from a ps3 racer. And so should you. Hell, dcharlie even said he thinks the GTHD demo looks better...so, whats that say? A demo using ps2 tracks with updated ps3 car physics and graphics looks better than a game supposedly built from the ground up for the system!? Take your "cry me a river" attitude and hit the road. Insulting another console everytime a ps3 game is said to be less than stellar is pathetic.

skrew

Banned
Norse said:
get a life...not once did I mention any other consoles. I said I expect more from a ps3 racer. And so should you. Hell, dcharlie even said he thinks the GTHD demo looks better...so, whats that say? A demo using ps2 tracks with updated ps3 car physics and graphics looks better than a game supposedly built from the ground up for the system!? Take your "cry me a river" attitude and hit the road. Insulting another console everytime a ps3 game is said to be less than stellar is pathetic.
that gthd is the best looking racing game out there?

FightyF

Banned
Norse said:

As a PS3 owner I agree with you.

:D

Durante

Norse said:
get a life...not once did I mention any other consoles. I said I expect more from a ps3 racer.
I normally don't get into graphics arguments here
because honestly, you people have no clue
, but could you point out a specific area in the four shots above that needs improvement? I'm just asking because - while I never would play a F1 racer (or any racer except wipeout + clones) - those shots look awesome to me from a technical perspective. And I can't find much to fault with the artistic direction either, except perhaps overdone motion blur. So, what would you expect?

(Also, you should check your facts. GT:HD neither uses PS2 tracks nor assets as far as I know - and I'm not even interested. Or, indeed, using it to support an argument)

antiloop

Norse said:

So what you are saying is that the XB, PS2, and GC could do this kind of graphics? (if we just exclude the rain)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I said I expect more from a ps3 racer.

there is more to expect from this game...
much more.

But i'm pretty happy with how the game looks - bump it up to 60fps and it'd be pretty much perfect for an F1 game.

what it does need desperately is expanded options, online, etc...

I think people are focusing on the wrong thing with their critism - this game looks more than fine... the issue with early gen games is that in terms of content and scope, they are moving backwards - not forwards. Now i appreciate content generation is difficult, but the nasty surprise of this gen for me hasn't been microtransactions is paying more for less game. :(

RaijinFY

DCharlie said:
there is more to expect from this game...
much more.

But i'm pretty happy with how the game looks - bump it up to 60fps and it'd be pretty much perfect for an F1 game.

what it does need desperately is expanded options, online, etc...

I think people are focusing on the wrong thing with their critism - this game looks more than fine... the issue with early gen games is that in terms of content and scope, they are moving backwards - not forwards. Now i appreciate content generation is difficult, but the nasty surprise of this gen for me hasn't been microtransactions is paying more for less game. :(

Well in this case (and Motorstorm's one also) It's more like japanese gamers am ****ed total. I expect these modes to be back for the european launch.

Top Bottom