• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS3] Last Rebellion Official Site Open + New Images

Paracelsus

WickedLaharl said:
the video on that blog was awful. combat looked boring, the environments were barren, and the graphics were fucking terrible. $39.99 is quite a steep asking price for a game that is the equivalent of a shoveware rpg.

They sold XEdge for 49$, iirc.

Agate

Neo Member
I'll give this game some thought, I'd like to see opinions from people who've played it first if anything before making a decision..definitely picking up SO4 this month though, then next month..the flood begins.. (of games).

androvsky

Kagari said:
Sold 12K in Japan or so :lol

So about the same as 3D Dot Game Heroes? :( Meh, I think we've all known that Last Rebellion wasn't going to be good, but I'll probably pick it up at some point anyway. Hopefully there's something of value buried in it; hell, I actually enjoyed Cross Edge (once I started using a map to find souls).

Lain

I found the battle mechanics shown in the video ... interesting.
Now, once again, if only the price wasn't so out of whack in Europe.

Khrno

I had the chance to play the PAL version for 6 hours on Monday, and I was so glad it was only 6 hours and not the whole week. What a horrendous game, starting by the graphics, the art direction, the music, the localization, the story, the game mechanics, the fighting system, the maps design, well everything was terrible.

One of the worst RPG I've played, and one of the worst games for this year no doubt.

The only good thing was that now I won't go out and buy it even if I were to not care about reviews as I do quite often when buying RPGs by impulse.

Aru

Khrno said:
I had the chance to play the PAL version for 6 hours on Monday, and I was so glad it was only 6 hours and not the whole week. What a horrendous game, starting by the graphics, the art direction, the music, the localization, the story, the game mechanics, the fighting system, the maps design, well everything was terrible.

One of the worst RPG I've played, and one of the worst games for this year no doubt.

The only good thing was that now I won't go out and buy it even if I were to not care about reviews as I do quite often when buying RPGs by impulse.

To Nippon Ichi:
Stop caring about Hit Maker games
or kill the studio
, they only make crappy ones.

Khrno

Aru said:
To Nippon Ichi:
Stop caring about Hit Maker games
or kill the studio
, they only make crappy ones.

PS: And keep releasing more SRPGs
not just Disgaea
, thanks.

I agree.

darkwing

Khrno said:

is this about the Last Rebellion?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
What? Last Rebellion sold 3k.
I think she posted that back when we had the Famitsu leak and only the tenth position's sales to judge by.

12k or less would have been the more accurate statement though. :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nirolak said:
I think she posted that back when we had the Famitsu leak and only the tenth position's sales to judge by.

12k or less would have been the more accurate statement though. :lol

Yeah, came from early leak. Forgot to edit.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aru said:
Every single N1 JRPG (including SRPG) other than a Disgaea sequel/port since a few years has bombed pretty hard.
Yeah, it's pretty sad. I prefer the original stuff my-self. :(

I'll purchase Zettai Hero day 1 so hopefully they don't have to port Disgaea again or make Prinny Kart next.

Khrno

Aru said:
Every single N1 JRPG (including SRPG) other than a Disgaea sequel/port since a few years has bombed pretty hard.

I was referring about quality more than sales, La Pucelle, Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom are great games too, although Disgaea is the superior brand. Oh and Cross Edge is enjoyable too.

darkwing said:
is this about the Last Rebellion?

Yes, since that's the game talked about in this thread.

Sora_N

I have way too many RPGs already on backlog (for just PS3), easy pass for me. Might buy if I can find a cheap copy later, I like the art. The battle system looks kind of odd though..

Sacha said:
Even though the art is cool, I feel like they've chosen the wrong game to do this kind of thing.

lol yeah I have to agree, maybe they should have done it for one of the Disgaea games or something. I cant see this game getting dozens of die hard fans to warrant such a pricely artwork.

SamBishop

Banned
I have absolutely no idea what to think of this game. Part of me, weirdly, wants to like it for some reason I can't quite figure out, but the game's presentation seems hell-bent on keeping that from happening.

At least the battle system is unique.

[edit] Actually, scratch that, the battle system is actually pretty damn interesting. If anyone's even interested in this game after seeing all the media, let me know and I'll post a more detailed explanation. I'm going to be up all night marathoning this game anyway before heading down to LA Wednesday morning for the God of War III thing, so I'll be around, I'm sure, hammering F5 on the forums index in the hopes of catching a topic that can distract me from this for a little bit...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SamBishop said:
I have absolutely no idea what to think of this game. Part of me, weirdly, wants to like it for some reason I can't quite figure out, but the game's presentation seems hell-bent on keeping that from happening.

At least the battle system is unique.

I don't understand why NIS didn't do a Japanese VA track. I might get the game when it drops to $20 or so.

CO_Andy

Needs more Unreal Engine

I await the day NIS gives us a proper Disgaea game that actually looks like a game from this generation.

CO_Andy said:
Needs more Unreal Engine

I await the day NIS gives us a proper Disgaea game that actually looks like a game from this generation.
This is the first game they've made that looks reasonably like a PS2 games, so maybe we'll get one that looks current gen in another 10 years or so. Assuming they still exist then.

SamBishop

Banned
Kagari said:
I don't understand why NIS didn't do a Japanese VA track. I might get the game when it drops to $20 or so.

Nor I, but I get the distinct impression this was a pretty quick 'n dirty port effort. I doubt it took a whole lot of work to bring it over, and NISA was short on PS3 titles this year, so they rolled with this. For what it's worth, the voices so far have been pretty standard NISA stuff, meaning they're better than some of the more recent bigger-budget releases, 'kay?

CO_Andy said:
Needs more Unreal Engine

I know you meant this as a joke, but Star Ocean actually did some really, really pretty things with that engine. I was actually rather surprised at how consistently pretty it all was, and it didn't really look like a UE3-based game. As for a proper HD version of Disgaea, I would imagine they're probably working on something, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon (I want it too, oh how I want it; NIS really does some nice lookin' sprites).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SamBishop said:
Nor I, but I get the distinct impression this was a pretty quick 'n dirty port effort. I doubt it took a whole lot of work to bring it over, and NISA was short on PS3 titles this year, so they rolled with this. For what it's worth, the voices so far have been pretty standard NISA stuff, meaning they're better than some of the more recent bigger-budget releases, 'kay?

:lol

Paznos

SamBishop said:

I know you meant this as a joke, but Star Ocean actually did some really, really pretty things with that engine. I was actually rather surprised at how consistently pretty it all was, and it didn't really look like a UE3-based game. As for a proper HD version of Disgaea, I would imagine they're probably working on something, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon (I want it too, oh how I want it; NIS really does some nice lookin' sprites).
I thought Star Ocean used the same engine as Infinite Undiscovery? which was Tri-Ace's own engine not UE3.

SamBishop

Banned
Paznos said:
I thought Star Ocean used the same engine as Infinite Undiscovery? which was Tri-Ace's own engine not UE3.

Well crap, that would make a whole hell of a lot of sense, actually! No wonder it didn't look like a UE3 game, durrrr.

VegaShinra

The battle system for the game is unique and could be really deep. With the whole attack key points, damage will vary based on how you select the order, switch between characters and do several attacks in one turn, and more. The graphics are just terrible to look at it and the story is neither here nor there.

It's not a bad game, but it's not a great one either. It's hard to put a finger on right now.

Replicant

I often wonder, there are many games like this on the shelf of a gameshop. I know I normally only go for high-profile games since I don't have much money. So I often wonder if other people actually buy those other, less-known games and if the publishers make any money.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Replicant said:
I often wonder, there are many games like this on the shelf of a gameshop. I know I normally only go for high-profile games since I don't have much money. So I often wonder if other people actually buy those other, less-known games and if the publishers make any money.

I generally try to buy all NIS and Atlus games.

The video on the blog looks awful. The whole knocking down an enemy, stealing MP and then having to seal you enemies looks tedious.

If I'm going to buy another rpg besides Final fantasy XIII I'd get Infinite Space, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange journey or Resonance of Fate instead of Last Rebellion. NIS went from quicky niche publisher to a shitshow shovelware publisher pretty damn quickly.

Lain

SamBishop said:
[edit] Actually, scratch that, the battle system is actually pretty damn interesting. If anyone's even interested in this game after seeing all the media, let me know and I'll post a more detailed explanation.

I'd like to read a more detailed explanation. The battle system seemed interesting from the last video I saw.

CO_Andy said:
Needs more Unreal Engine

What? I love the sprite work in Disgaea, lol, its quite touching, nice, and pretty crisp. For me, when I do the massive battle damage and those wicked skills in the game, I think its more impactful and brutal when they are sprites. Highly detailed 2D or so sprites > 3D Models (unless they somehow begged ND for help)

I will most like get Last Rebellion if the consensus here is pretty good in the coming weeks.

SamBishop

Banned
Well, that was easy. Less than 14 hours and I'm done with the game. No, really, done. There are no side quests, there's no New Game+, there are no towns to visit, literally like three people to talk to in the whole game beyond generic same-model characters with snippets of throwaway dialogue. No weapons or armor to buy/manage (there are some accessories like earrings and such, but I never really bothered).

Oh, and there's no party. There are two characters through the whole game that share health, magic and command points. If one gets hit by one of the three different kinds of incapacitation effects, you get to watch them both spawn in and then just sit there after picking all their commands. It's infuriating.

I absolutely destroyed every single boss, but ironically it was random enemies that killed me a couple of times because they could just haul off and hit me for like 20% of my life until I leveled up. One could grind, but once you hit a certain level you simple don't get XP from enemies anymore.

This was a PSP game and at some point Hit Maker decided they were just going to move it to the PS3 without actually considering what that would mean for the scope and presentation of the game.

There's nothing offensively bad about the game, honestly -- in fact the localization actually dips into some deeper vocabulary than you're likely to hear in most games. The voices, too, are good, but none of the characters is anything more than a trope cutout right down to the smart-ass main character. There's no character development, no real story, no reason to actually spend even 14 hours with the game.

Oh, but there is one seriously awesome thing about the game: one of the battle tunes is fucking awesome. I wonder if it's on the official site, because it's the only thing I'd recommend the game for, honestly. Well, that and the battle system.

Lain said:
I'd like to read a more detailed explanation. The battle system seemed interesting from the last video I saw.

It is, actually. You can target enemies' individual body parts as you've probably seen, and there's a very specific order that you have to follow if you want to get a BINGO, which locks in that as the proper hit at the proper time. I know it's a lame comparison, but think of it kind of like the sort of hunting and process of elimination you'd see in Sudoku; each body part has to be hit at the right time in sequence, which turns BINGOs into COMBOS.

Those fuel the bonus meter (up to 999) and end up doling out massive XP bonuses (I went up six levels on the last boss because the meter was at 999 and I was nearly one-shotting even the toughest common enemies at that point). Once you've figured out the parttern for a particular enemy (and there are sometimes multiple versions of the same enemy), you can bank the sequence and pull it up with the shoulder buttons to use to crank out a huge COMBO.

Oh, and since all the stupid Trophies are secret, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to get the last eight. There's literally nothing else to do in the game. It's over. Kaput. Finito. And here I thought it'd be an easy Platinum...

SamBishop said:
Oh, and since all the stupid Trophies are secret, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to get the last eight. There's literally nothing else to do in the game. It's over. Kaput. Finito. And here I thought it'd be an easy Platinum...

Someone posted on GameFaqs that there's an arena type area that nets you a bunch of trophies for that one part. Might be where your last ones are so it should be an easy Platinum.

I'm playing this for review now and the battle system is definitely going to be what keeps me going. Pretty glad to hear it's not that long either. Really liking the music too.

SamBishop said:
Well, that was easy. Less than 14 hours and I'm done with the game. No, really, done. There are no side quests, there's no New Game+, there are no towns to visit, literally like three people to talk to in the whole game beyond generic same-model characters with snippets of throwaway dialogue. No weapons or armor to buy/manage (there are some accessories like earrings and such, but I never really bothered).

You did the IGN review, right? Really good write-up. Mine's up on Game Informer's site as of today. This is easily one of the worst games I've ever played for review. :/

Well after reading the IGN review and the previous impressions here, I guess I will avoid this game entirely and wait for NIS next PS3 game, which seems to be Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland, here.

Varion

SavoryCade said:
Someone posted on GameFaqs that there's an arena type area that nets you a bunch of trophies for that one part. Might be where your last ones are so it should be an easy Platinum.
Yeah, it's supposed to be a really easy platinum looking at the trophy list. Estimated plat time 12 hours? :lol There's 4 golds for killing 4 different types of Prinny, even.

After seeing the negative consensus I'll definitely be passing on this. Expected as much as soon as it was announced to be a Hitmaker game.

SamBishop

Banned
SavoryCade said:

I'm playing this for review now and the battle system is definitely going to be what keeps me going. Pretty glad to hear it's not that long either. Really liking the music too.

Whoa, I didn't know there was anything approaching an arena. I don't even know where the hell it could be. Time to fire it up in a bit, I suppose.

KefkaTaran said:
You did the IGN review, right? Really good write-up. Mine's up on Game Informer's site as of today. This is easily one of the worst games I've ever played for review. :/

Yep, I did the IGN one. I have to summon the effort to whip up another version for my site, but with being all sick, I just don't have the drive to do it right now. So much effort for a game that seemingly took none to make. Thanks for the kind words, I'll have to take a looksee at the GI review!

Got this in from Gamefly. Right off the back, I'm ready to turn it off. But then the damn battle system gets its grip on me, and I'm spending turns figuring out the order to hit body parts. Next thing I know I'm 3.5 hours in. And since it's not that long, I suppose I'll go through it.

Don't get me wrong, some things still irk me, such as having to seal enemies. But I'll see how much more I can take before I submit.

Top Bottom