• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

onken

Stumpokapow said:
Ultimately, though, it's contextual.

Consider the following C code. It's more than one line. It's clearly novel. It clearly does something interesting. It's not "generic". It's clearly very very specific. I won't tell you what it does but I'm sure a few people here have run into it before.
?

Oh fucking gag. It's an inverse square root function, just say that. This is in the same boat as posting a screenshot of a game nobody's ever heard of and then waiting for everybody to ask you where it's from.

Rhindle

charlequin said:
You sound like Sony's sadsack Mafia lawyer. "I'm just sayin'.... are youse guys sure youse got... insurance?" *flicks lighter*
That's my point.

In a situation like this, it doesn't matter whether someone in Sony's position is right or its wrong. If they're going after small shops and distributors (or, hypothetically, individual users), they win by default. The Australian shops were actually in a much better position legal position that their US counterparts would be given the lack of a DMCA-equivalent, but they folded the second the complaint arrived.

Rhindle said:
That's my point.

In a situation like this, it doesn't matter whether someone in Sony's position is right or its wrong. If they're going after small shops and distributors (or, hypothetically, individual users), they win by default. The Australian shops were actually in a much better position legal position that their US counterparts would be given the lack of a DMCA-equivalent, but they folded the second the complaint arrived.

... Because they're a distributor and are SELLING an item that can be used for piracy. Also, you better believe that if Sony did come after an individual there would be many attorneys willing to go pro-bono for the case to defend the individual.

Rhindle said:
That's my point.

Your point was to try to sound imposing and threatening in service to distant, shadowy overlords, but then to fail at doing so?

To try to be more direct here, no one cares what kind of ominous threats you can conjure up here because the very idea of Sony suing individual customers based on message board posting is utterly ludicrous. It's like trying to tell people in an oooh ominous voice "I wouldn't post on NeoGAF admitting you drove over the speed limit if I were you."

Rhindle

charlequin said:
Your point was to try to sound imposing and threatening in service to distant, shadowy overlords, but then to fail at doing so?

To try to be more direct here, no one cares what kind of ominous threats you can conjure up here because the very idea of Sony suing individual customers based on message board posting is utterly ludicrous. It's like trying to tell people in an oooh ominous voice "I wouldn't post on NeoGAF admitting you drove over the speed limit if I were you."
WTH, man? I wasn't threatening the guy. I was pointing out why his argument was irrelevant, which is what we tend to waste our time doing on message boards. I'm sorry if it came across as a threat. I don't even particularly like Sony.

I don't think I saw this posted...

" While many people that have received their sample and sent it off to cloners....we sent ours to a well known homebrew developer. The developer we picked showed us various homebrew applications that he had already developed for ps3 dev units, that he wants to port over to retail units. Yes, PS3 homebrew is real and will start flowing through at a steady rate as soon as next week."

SuperAwesome said:

" While many people that have received their sample and sent it off to cloners....we sent ours to a well known homebrew developer. The developer we picked showed us various homebrew applications that he had already developed for ps3 dev units, that he wants to port over to retail units. Yes, PS3 homebrew is real and will start flowing through at a steady rate as soon as next week."
:D :D :D

Zoe

SuperAwesome said:

How are homebrew devs getting dev units?

Rhindle said:
I wasn't threatening the guy.

Cool, cool. No worries then. I agree that we are wasting our time and almost all of us (clearly including myself now) have made arguments that are irrelevant at this stage. :lol

In that case, I honestly agree with the point that one's own view of the legality or lack thereof of this sort of thing is kind of irrelevant, it's just also not all that likely to be tested unless you are planning on going into business selling it or you start accepting cash bets from other GAF posters about any future legal proceedings.

Zoe

LovingSteam said:
Perhaps its a legit dev who also has produced homebrew on other devices?

But wouldn't using a dev unit to develop unsigned code go against their license?

Chrange

Banned
charlequin said:
Chrange does, apparently. :lol
Not anymore, passed it along to a friend who's into the tech side of things and wanted to get his own look at it. I'll hopefully get it back in a week or so.

He wants to take apart a Move wand too lol, but I haven't let him yet.

Chrange said:
Not anymore, passed it along to a friend who's into the tech side of things and wanted to get his own look at it. I'll hopefully get it back in a week or so.

He wants to take apart a Move wand too lol, but I haven't let him yet.

Please let us know if he finds anything interesting about it.

tokkun

Clevinger said:
for instance?

He made posts about how the device could not work and how the backup manager software would be able to back up ISOs but not be able to decrypt them just hours before video of the device working was released.

tino

Banned
Rhindle said:
The point isn't whether they are going to do it or not. They're obviously very unlikely to go after individual users, given the PR fallout. The point is that your theories about the legality of the device are completely irrelevant, as are those of any of the shops selling this device. If Sony doesn't come after you, you're fine. If they do, you're fucked regardless of your theories.

Do you actually know about P2P law suits? Sony has to bride Evilord to get my ip from him. Any they has to go through Time Warner Cable to get my actual name and address. By that time usually Time Warner tell they to fuck off because TWC has a very small quota on how much P2P case they answer per week, which has been filled up by IRAA already. Even by the act of miracle they get to my address, Sony still can't prove shit because there are more than 3 people using the same modem here. So STFU about your theory.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
BoboBrazil said:
Can't wait to see the homebrew apps:D
It's a bit hard to imagine that someone with "Brazil" on its username is interested in this because of homebrew. :lol

I'm kidding.

Brazil said:
It's a bit hard to imagine that someone with "Brazil" on its username is interested in this because of homebrew. :lol

I'm kidding.

:p

Anyways

ConsoleWinkel.nl managed to talk with PSjailbreak guys:

PSjailbreak is legal and contains no copyright code, that’s what the makers of the device are claiming. In a conversation forwarded to us, a Dutch retailer reveals that the creators of the device are insisting that Sony is just using ‘scare tactics’ to try and make people think twice before selling it. Moreover the creators are claiming that the device was primarily produced for homebrew on the PS3 console. Keep reading to check out the transcript, some names have been blanked out.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Stumpokapow said:
Ought it be copyrightable?
Precedent says it can even be patented...

But I disgress, content copyrights are difficult to uphold based solely on comparing digital content, as it's far too easy to losslessly transform it into unidentifiable forms, without modifying the intent (eg. piracy).
Of course proving the intent may be even harder, no matter how obvious it may look...

In all honesty, I'm always completely torn on these matters.
I want amazing homebrew, but those things ALWAYS lead to someone copyrighting something, and I just can't stand for that.

After all, I am going to school to develop games.

missile

phosphor112 said:
I want amazing homebrew, but those things ALWAYS lead to someone copyrighting something, ...
Sony had the chance to do it right. But they've decided otherwise,
unfortunately. Instead of supporting the OtherOS, they've killed it
altogether. lol A fully supported OtherOS (incl. RSX) from the get-go and
there would be no argument for hacking the PS3 in bringing homebrew onto
the PS3. Whoever sits there at Sony having done this dick move in removing
the OtherOS will now have to face the consequences. There you go ...
motherfukkas!

I'm pretty sure that PSJailbreak is directly related to the OtherOS issue and
the lack of homebrew on the PS3. Since Sony has removed the OtherOS from the
Slim people became interested in hacking it. No? And with its entire removal
it only took half a year until the system was hacked. No? I think Sony never
thought it would happen since the system was secure for about three years.
Yeah, it was secure because no one was really trying.

So what's the cost in fixing all the sh!t, paying the lawyers, and taking
a possible loss due to piracy? What was the cost of the OtherOS again?
"But but but it cost us money and we have security concerns" am cry.
Ah c'mon, gimme a break!

Zoe said:
How are homebrew devs getting dev units?

The way other homebrew devs get units? Usually buying them secondhand from developers looking to get rid of a few.

A better question is: why do you care? Does it really matter?

Zoe

Dragona Akehi said:
The way other homebrew devs get units? Usually buying them secondhand from developers looking to get rid of a few.

A better question is: why do you care? Does it really matter?

<shrug> As someone with half a foot in the industry, it does interest me a bit as it may affect me one day.

Yen

Will this mean anything with regards to the consoles price and the price of games? Waiting on a price cut but surely that wouldnt be too soon if this gets on sale.

Belfast said:
Geez, $125? No thanks, sir. Not for what amounts to a freakin' USB stick.

As reported, one of the first clones will be sold for $50-60.

Yenrot said:
Will this mean anything with regards to the consoles price and the price of games? Waiting on a price cut but surely that wouldnt be too soon if this gets on sale.

No. The price of the Xbox 360 and Wii's hardware and software hasn't been effected by their respective piracy and homebrew, neither will the PS3.

Zoe

Belfast said:
Geez, $125? No thanks, sir. Not for what amounts to a freakin' USB stick.

It's not a USB stick. It has to be capable of running code (commands) on it's own.

Peterthumpa

Brazil said:

I'm kidding.
Was thinking exactly the same.

Not kidding.
:lol

Rainier

phosphor112 said:
I want amazing homebrew, but those things ALWAYS lead to someone copyrighting something, and I just can't stand for that.

After all, I am going to school to develop games.
Hope you're not planning on using any Windows programs while developing, MS is always being sued for copyright violations, so odds are you're helping the pirates win just by using a Microsoft OS. ;)

shuri

Banned
Dev kits are usually purchased from gaming journos who left the industry (and brought some hardware home), devs who closed down, and sometimes they are broken dev units that got fixed.

Salsa

Machado said:
being a Venezuelan, I think we can pretty much say this is true for most latin american countries.

Sort of kidding.

Uruguay here, and this is probably true. I mean this will certainly get more consoles out there, pirates rejoice. But seriously, it would take like a year or so until this thing becomes truly worth it for them right ? i mean there are no 40gb ps3 .isos on the web as far as i know, it will take some time, i think everyone just went for the 360 in this regard and they just dont care anymore.

missile said:
Sony had the chance to do it right. But they've decided otherwise,
unfortunately. Instead of supporting the OtherOS, they've killed it
altogether. lol A fully supported OtherOS (incl. RSX) from the get-go and
there would be no argument for hacking the PS3 in bringing homebrew onto
the PS3. Whoever sits there at Sony having done this dick move in removing
the OtherOS will now have to face the consequences. There you go ...
motherfukkas!

I'm pretty sure that PSJailbreak is directly related to the OtherOS issue and
the lack of homebrew on the PS3. Since Sony has removed the OtherOS from the
Slim people became interested in hacking it. No? And with its entire removal
it only took half a year until the system was hacked. No? I think Sony never
thought it would happen since the system was secure for about three years.
Yeah, it was secure because no one was really trying.

So what's the cost in fixing all the sh!t, paying the lawyers, and taking
a possible loss due to piracy? What was the cost of the OtherOS again?
"But but but it cost us money and we have security concerns" am cry.
Ah c'mon, gimme a break!

I think you're just trying to justify hacking the PS3. You know software piracy destroys lots of companies. Sony's income has been mainly from software, so killing any form of "hacks" is completely legitimate as a business standpoint. They don't have the luxury of companies like Nintendo, which make a killing on both software and hardware.

phosphor112 said:
I think you're just trying to justify hacking the PS3. You know software piracy destroys lots of companies. Sony's income has been mainly from software, so killing any form of "hacks" is completely legitimate as a business standpoint. They don't have the luxury of companies like Nintendo, which make a killing on both software and hardware.

Actually, nobody needs to justify hacking the PS3 because doing so isn't illegal, nor should it be seen as immoral. Piracy? Yes. We have had this conversation throughout the entire thread and perhaps I'm mistaken but it seems that you're arguing that this hack shouldn't be allowed because it will lead for many to use it for piracy. Am I misreading you?

Machado said:
not to defend anyone but they are not forced to sell hardware at a loss. Just sayin'.

True, but it's a business choice, just as protecting themselves from software piracy.

Rainier said:
Hope you're not planning on using any Windows programs while developing, MS is always being sued for copyright violations, so odds are you're helping the pirates win just by using a Microsoft OS. ;)

Well, I'm not using a Mac =P. I use a lot of 3DS and Maya. I also use the Valve Hammer Editor and UDK often... so no Mac for me.

LovingSteam said:
Actually, nobody needs to justify hacking the PS3 because doing so isn't illegal, nor should it be seen as immoral. Piracy? Yes. We have had this conversation throughout the entire thread and perhaps I'm mistaken but it seems that you're arguing that this hack shouldn't be allowed because it will lead for many to use it for piracy. Am I misreading you?

I didn't say the hack was illegal, though it very well can be, if copyrighted code was used. Homebrew, I really love, but like I said, it opens up to piracy. Should companies be allowed to shoot down homebrew because of potential (and inevitable) piracy? Yes. It's their right, and I'm sure lots of companies would like Sony to make sure their games don't get copied, or at least remove online for those who use illegal backups.

Back to being really torn. I'd love to be able to encode full HD videos using my PS3, and expand my media server capabilities with Homebrew. =/

onken

missile said:
Yeah but there was / is a trace you can follow on how things came about.
Quit trying to pretend this hack only came about because of the removal of otheros, that's bullshit and you know it.

Eiji said:
Looks like an original exploit. Good luck Sony in trying to extend that Aussie injunction :lol

Yep, they are just doing this as a scare tactic and they tried to confiscate stock the distributors had, since they were saying they would have them Friday and they put out the injuction Friday, but they didn't know it was delayed so their plan backfired. Shit, Ozmodchips didn't even have their demo unit anymore, they sent it to a homebrew developer:lol

Top Bottom