• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

PSGroove has just been ported and released onto the Dingoo A320 by a well known developer named Waninkoko. For anyone who has no idea what the Dingoo is, it's a gaming handheld that supports music, video playback and has an open platform. Basically what that means is that anyone that would like to develop games for it can without the need to "jailbreak" it first.

IMO: I heard you like games, so I put your Jailbreak on an open gaming platform, so you can game while you backup your games!

You want to know where I think the next big port is going to be? Right'cher:

riz-toaster.jpg

Tntnnbltn

Lonewolf_92 said:
A meme, have you heard of it? ;) Although i got the phrasing wrong, should have went "Sup dog, I herd you like games, so I put a jailbreak in your open gaming platform so you can game while you backup"
The meme is 'Yo dawg, I herd you like X, so we put a Y in your Y so you can Z while you Z'.

Not 'Yo dawg, I herd you like X, so we put a Y in your Z so you can A while you B'.

CryptiK said:
Why is there 2 threads about the PS3 hack?
This thread announced the very first PS3 Jigkick and is about the PS3 hack in general, including but not limited to the closed source loader, the Jigkick you buy at retail, and the new features it'll have in the future. The other thread announced a free, open-source implementation of the Jigkick and is about the open source loader and its ports.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Figured I'd post this here too.

heyo gaming side,

My blu-ray drive died a few months ago. I haven't touched my PS3 since. Well, downloaded the Scott Pilgrim demo. And updated the FW ( automatic, couldn't help it) a few weeks ago.
Will the jailbreak allow me to back up my games on my HDD, so I can play them? I've got a ton of games that I had intended to play during the summer, but was not able to.

expy

Banned
Veidt said:

heyo gaming side,

My blu-ray drive died a few months ago. I haven't touched my PS3 since. Well, downloaded the Scott Pilgrim demo. And updated the FW ( automatic, couldn't help it) a few weeks ago.
Will the jailbreak allow me to back up my games on my HDD, so I can play them? I've got a ton of games that I had intended to play during the summer, but was not able to.
Nope, since your Blu-Ray drive is dead no way to back up you games to the HDD.

DieH@rd

Banned
Veidt said:

heyo gaming side,

You CAN put games on external drive, but you must download games over the web. But! You must have one original game in drive in order for those "backups" to play. If you drive is el muerte, then you dont have luck. No games for you.

I suspect that is the original jailbreak with a name change. Didn't the Sony lawsuit specifically only name the jailbreak and no clones were mentioned? A quick name change might be their way of dodging it for a short while?

state_vector_collapse said:
I suspect that is the original jailbreak with a name change. Didn't the Sony lawsuit specifically only name the jailbreak and no clones were mentioned? A quick name change might be their way of dodging it for a short while?
no, some people have reported getting samples from them and they're not the same people, just a hilarious clone.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
DieH@rd said:
You CAN put games on external drive, but you must download games over the web. But! You must have one original game in drive in order for those "backups" to play. If you drive is el muerte, then you dont have luck. No games for you.
Thanks.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Veidt said:

If your drive is burnt out it won't be able to read a disc for verification, ergo, it won't work for you. If your drive worked but you suspected it was going out, you could copy to a hard drive before it burnt out like many people are claiming they need jailbreak for.

Jax :lol

The official PSJailbreak is now shipping.

Firstly we would like to appolagize for the shipping delay. Our product is now officially shipping , and we have eliminated delay for future orders. All future orders will be shipped within 24 hours of payment. As this is a big project we needed to make sure that everything would be perfect for both the present and the future. Let us tell you the wait is well worth it as we have made our product even better then we thought possible. We have several new things to announce. Our Backup Manager v1.1 will be released on or before the 15th of September with a very valuable feature as well as increased reliability and expandability. We have received many emails asking about updates, we have a solution in the works (unlike all copy cat clone makers), Our solution will be released within 7 days as well and will only work with original units. As well we receive many inquiries as to price and competition. It is very important for all dealers and end users to understand that you get what you pay for. It costs a lot of money to support and provide new features. Clone makers/ Free versions do not have our associated costs for research or production , but when you buy cheap you receive an inferior quality product that will not be able to have any updates or support. Remember everybody you get exactly what you pay for. Some might say our product is priced to high , but we have to say if you want something that will continue to work then the money is well worth it! Thank you from the PS JAILBREAK TEAM

Any news on anyone out there getting this sort of jailbreak stuff to work on what seems to be a fixed firmware update? i'm interested if there another loophole or something. Was it in this thread a little while back where someone quoted a coder who said this exploit was nearly unpatchable by sony?

Diablohead said:
Any news on anyone out there getting this sort of jailbreak stuff to work on what seems to be a fixed firmware update? i'm interested if there another loophole or something. Was it in this thread a little while back where someone quoted a coder who said this exploit was nearly unpatchable by sony?
Another "coder" said it would be trivially simple for Sony to fix, so who knows.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Any news on PSP port of this? Interested to check it out.
I personally am happy that Sony was able to block it though. Otherwise it would've been ridiculous.

Aklamarth

PetriP-TNT said:
You mean PSJailbreak is first party product? LAFFO!1

Without PSJailbreak there would be no hack, no clones, no homebrew. Trying to rip people off (from a price perspective) with psjailbreak is not nice but the guy who created the jaibreak deserves some kudos for the hack.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
LovingSteam said:
For now they blocked it. Why are you glad?

If you are saying that its blocked only for now and it wont remain so forever. Maybe. I would say that if those who pirate wont get online access, its kinda ok. I would've preferred complete ban somehow. Will have to see where it goes.
If there was a way of somehow enabling homebrew without enabling piracy, I would be all for it. But if I the choice homebrew AND piracy, IMVHO, it isnt a good one. But this has been discussed a lot anyway.
Again, any news on PSP port? Or any place where I should check out for udpates?

yurinka

The Faceless Master said:
aaaaannnndddd looks like someone just released an app called 'PSN Demo Installer' that will allow you to install PSN Demos on your PS3 via FTP.
Awesome news

Psychotext said:
Excuse my ignorance... but why are PSN demos a big thing?
Newer demos, like Enslaved or the Move games demos needed to be downloaded from PSN using the console, and right now this was only possible using latest firmware, because Sony blocked it for older firmwares.

PSJailbreak or similar doesn't run in newer firmware. So people using it weren't able to install these demos.

commissar

Well that's easily fixed if the demo requires an 'updated' library or required authentication like purchased games do.

Though to be honest it would be in Sony's best interest to leave the demos alone so there's less incentive to get around the authentication which would then enable piracy.

Zoe

yurinka said:
Newer demos, like Enslaved or the Move games demos needed to be downloaded from PSN using the console, and right now this was only possible using latest firmware, because Sony blocked it for older firmwares.

PSJailbreak or similar doesn't run in newer firmware. So people using it weren't able to install these demos.

But that doesn't solve the problem of getting the demos off of PSN in the first place.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Zoe said:
But that doesn't solve the problem of getting the demos off of PSN in the first place.
It solves the issue of installation. AFAIK, downloading them was never an issue, you could always just use a browser on a PC if you knew the correct link.

Is there a clone USB modchip that retails for around $30 US yet that will work without too much hassle? Basically I just want my PS3 to act more like my hack wii with USB support.

Thanks for the link.

I assume this means I could only rip my PS3 games to an external drive and not the internal on the PS3, correct?

Easy-to-use software for backing up, managing, and playing games from external USB Hard Drive.

And there's still no way to rip my blurays to HDD yet, yes?

mikespit1200 said:
Thanks for the link.

I assume this means I could only rip my PS3 games to an external drive and not the internal on the PS3, correct?

And there's still no way to rip my blurays to HDD yet, yes?

Im probably gonna pickup that ps3 keything. I hope that site is legit. I will use paypal to cover my ass.

Thanks for the explanations about the demos. So in theory that means I can get the move demos without having to upgrade the dashboard? I was going to buy a wand (I already have the camera) but I realised that without any demos there probably wouldn't have been much point.

Top Bottom