• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

commissar

Eiji said:
the exploit doesn't give enough privaleges to flash the PS3 with CFW (as of writing).
what about updating with a previous version of offical firmware for those who want the return of linux?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Eiji said:
I heard the free solution to the exploit involving Teensy etc will have the BD emulator removed so backup manager won't work. Ethics issue with free exploit coders.

Now this..just might be the best of both worlds!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
20100901-pkq24mw5d2awyeuqrjcnfkq4gp.jpg

O_O

This is gonna be hilarious if the code to make your own dongle with that USB board is released before PS Jailbreak ships to customers.... :lol

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
hey, what's that black box sitting on my consoles shelf?.. could it be.. my future cell tinkerstation?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
20100901-mfmijjre9msbi67thypfrmcbu.jpg

http://github.com/psgroove/psgroove
http://ps3wiki.lan.st

PSGroove

This is the PSGroove, an open-source reimplementation of the psjailbreak exploit for AT90USB and related microcontrollers.

It should work on:

* AT90USB162
* AT90USB646
* AT90USB647
* AT90USB1286
* AT90USB1287
* ATMEGA32U4

... and maybe more.

This software is not intended to enable piracy, and such features have been disabled. This software is intended to allow the execution of unsigned third-party apps and games on the PS3.

Time for a new thread? Made new thread.

Thanks to them for keeping it simple, this should do the trick (no HW to test it on, but)

Descriptor.h, look for this
0x78, 0x78, 0x78,
0x78
it's on two lines, but look for 4 of them in a row (its xxxx)

Replace with:

0x62, 0x64, 0x76, 0x64
(thats bdvd)

The only change from the original is removal of the mount point - that SHOULD work to enable backups, will test it once HW comes in a few days!

"So you see now Mr. Mathieulh that there is nothing you have that I cannot take away!"

shamo42

Quick update:

-Someone confirmed PSgroove working. So basically you can enable homebrew now for 18$ using a regular TEENSY board (website down and board out of stock because of high demand).

-The regular PSgroove code from github won't allow backups to run. Someone has already patched it. See post above.

I guess in a week or 2 we'll run homebrew on PS3 using Android devices, jailbroken iPhones, and even a TI-84 calculator :lol

luca_29_bg

shamo42 said:
Quick update:

-Someone confirmed PSgroove working. So basically you can enable homebrew now for 18$ using a regular TEENSY board (website down and board out of stock because of high demand).

-The regular PSgroove code from github won't allow backups to run. Someone has already patched it. See post above.

I guess in a week or 2 we'll run homebrew on PS3 using Android devices, jailbroken iPhones, and even a TI-84 calculator :lol

And tell me, an n95 8Gb will works for this ? :D

For those needing a how-to:

PS Groove - AtMel USB Controllers Programming How To:

Yes thats it....i wrote a quick PS Groove Tutorial.

First of all go to http://github.com/psgroove/psgroove and download the PS Grooe HEX file psgroove.hex

Now let's start:

Device Firmware Upgrade

The first thing to do after you recived your AtMel USB Controller is to load the HEX file into the on-chip flash memory
of the microcontroller. The "Flip" Software is the tool used to upgrade the firmware (available freely from the USB CD-ROM
or Atmel Website).

The following steps should be completed to allow the device starting DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode and load the HEX file:

1. Install Flip software (Flip Version 3.0 or above is required).
2. Push the RST (Reset) button.
3. Connect the board to the PC using the USB Cable (Standard Ato Mini B)
4. Push the HWB (Hardware Bootloader) button.
5. Release the RST button.
6. Release the HWB button.
7. If your hardware conditions explained above are correct,a new deice detection wizard will be displayed if you are using Flip
for the first time. Please follow the instructions (the INF file is located in the USB subdirectory from Flip installation:
"install path:\ATMEL\FLIP\FLIPx.x.x\usb")

Now on your PC, the New Device Detection Wizard will open.

Select "Install from a specific location (Advanced)" and click on Next>
Select "Search for the best drivers in this locations." and click on "Include this location in the search:". Now Browse to the path C:\Program Files\ATMEL\FLIP 2.4.2\usb and click on Next>

Now check your Device Manager. There must be a new icon with the description AT90USBxxx (where xxx is the number of your USB Controller). If it's not start the procedure again.
Your Device is now in DFU Mode. Launch the programm Flip to proceed with the flashing process.

Click the chip-icon in the upper left corner and select your device from the up-poping list.
Now click on the USB-Cable icon in the upper left corner to select the communication mode. Select "USB". In the up-poping window click on "Open" to open the communication port.
Now click on "File" "Load HEX File..." and browse to your ready psgroove.hex file.
Now Load the HEX File (in the Operations Flow Tab Check Erase,Program and Vertify,then Push Run button) A window will pop-up that shows the processes.
After the processes are done click on the "Start Application" button in the right down corner.

The AT90USB bootloader will detach and jump into the user application when "Start Application" button is pressed.

CONGRATS,YOUR HOMEMADE PS JAILBREAK (WITHOUT BACKUP MANAGER SUPPORT) IS NOW READY TO RUN!

PS: I wrote this tutorial by myself with a lot of research on the Atmel user guides. Everyone who will use this tutorial on several pages please give credit to me as i wrote it by myself.
I didn't test anything of what i wrote but by the isntruction manual from the manufacture it seems realy easy to me to flash the psgroove HEX file to the USB controller.

Pic's will be added soon. I ordered a AT90USB KEY as well and I will release some review Vids and tutorials ASAP.

I know that this Tutorial needs a lot of editing,if someone knows some more details Im would apreciate to add them as well.

Credit: grecomafioso over on psx-scene.com
this would also work with the version that has the bdvd patched back in that is found in the same thread.

Zoe

red shoe paul said:
But people want the backup manager, so I'm not getting why they disabled it..

For them it was an ethical issue. They released their version specifically to promote homebrew.

red shoe paul said:
But people want the backup manager, so I'm not getting why they disabled it..

As Zoe said, they had a bout of ethics. Besides, as I mentioned in a previous post, it was super simple to patch back in once it got into the wild.

From what I've read, someone over on the Spanish Language site www.elotrolado.net is working on porting the code over to PSP and has made some progress.

kIdMuScLe

When you get the teensy USB dongle, do you guys just leave the USB board exposed or is the board is covered with some sort of shell? Want to get this once homebrew starts appearing.

kIdMuScLe said:
When you get the teensy USB dongle, do you guys just leave the USB board exposed or is the board is covered with some sort of shell? Want to get this once homebrew starts appearing.

They come as exposed boards, but you can buy protective covers for them online from hobbyist electronics places like Mouser Electronics, Only really useful if you'd prefer a more finished look or want to protect them from dust or trauma.

Vamphuntr

Waikis said:
In the courtroom right now.

It doesn't matter much at this point. Even if the australian modchips are able to resell it they won't be able to sell the overpriced one they ordered at 150$ since clones are already ready ranging from completely free to 50$.

They lost their momentum.

Waikis

Vamphuntr said:
It doesn't matter much at this point. Even if the australian modchips are able to resell it they won't be able to sell the overpriced one they ordered at 150$ since clones are already ready ranging from completely free to 50$.

They lost their momentum.

I'm more interested in the legal ramifications : p.

Teensys, Atmels, Olimexs, Blackcatusbs, all of them are pretty much sold out everywhere in the world. :lol But if you got a N900 device, there's still hope. PS3Groove been ported over to that as the PSFreedom by a guy called KaKaRoTo, pretty much out of nowhere, and is the first confirmed working port.

for the android or any phone versions would you have to leave the phone plugged into the PS3 or is it just something you run once and its modded?

Zoe

SuicideUZI said:
for the android or any phone versions would you have to leave the phone plugged into the PS3 or is it just something you run once and its modded?

Needs to be plugged in each time you want to boot up in that mode.

SuicideUZI said:

After it's been booted into debug mode you can unplug it (but as Zoe mentioned, it would need to be connected whenever you wanted to boot into that mode), as it's being compiled from the PSGroove code. The PS3Jailbreak had, as part of it's code, a lvl 1 "Panic" call function that would activate whenever the dongle was unplugged while in the mode that was removed by Math and his team for the Groove.

Dante23

Some reports says that it might even be possible with the Sixaxis because it contains a programmable EEPROM, the irony.

EDIT: Note that this would be only for people with a broken Dualshock 3, otherwise it would be idiotic to waste a fully working one on this.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dante23 said:
Some reports says that it might even be possible with the Sixaxis because it contains a programmable EEPROM, the irony.

EDIT: Note that this would be only for people with a broken Dualshock 3, otherwise it would be idiotic to waste a fully working one on this.

Time to disable all ps3 controllers via a firmware update.

(arf arf arf)

Really though, that would be funny. But if that is possible it should be obvious primary focus for porting efforts.

Brannon

Wow.

WOW.

PS3 held its own over the years, but once it got cracked open... DAMN. I want that PS3Groove. If they get the PSP port working, I'm all over it.

sharath_kumar

Neo Member
Is only 3.41 firmware susceptible to this usb crack?
What about other previous firmwares?

If jigkick does not work on the older firmwares, something in 3.41 must have triggered the loophole. If that is the case, it should be fairly easy for sony to patch up.

sharath_kumar said:
Is only 3.41 firmware susceptible to this usb crack?
What about other previous firmwares?

If jigkick does not work on the older firmwares, something in 3.41 must have triggered the loophole. If that is the case, it should be fairly easy for sony to patch up.

I've heard people trying it on different firmwares have gotten different levels of results along with rumors that a group has got Groove to boot up to a certain point on an earlier firmware and are working to change the code as needed to get it going all the way, so it may not be as simple as a loophole in the firmware so much as the code being optimized for the current firmware. Given that the Jailbreak team promised updatability with their device, and the size of the flash on the cards used to hold the Groove code (we're talking low digit KBs of storage here), that seems like the more likely situation. Easier to get the end user to update to a specific firmware than to try to fit code into such a tiny memory sector to cover every eventuality. It could be as simple as groups like Math's just needing to adjust a bit of the code and the end-user flashing their device of choice with the proper .HEX file whenever a new firmware releases. Given how quickly Sony updated their firmware and killed OtherOS after Geohot's exploit, if this one could be as easily killed with a firmware update I'm sure we would've gotten one by now.

In other news, after their victory in Oz, Sony is going after US reseller of the PSJailbreak device Zoomba LDC with claims of breaching Copyright laws by selling the device and violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and of Trademark Infringement. It is seeking an injunction to block the sale of the device, as well as damages.

Gate closed, horse gone, etc.

Can someone sum all this up for me lol.

I havent really paid attention to this story because Ive never CFW'd my PSP, jailbroke anything or pirated any software.

I do know a guy who buys a new 360 every year and has most likely never bought a retail game. He always offers to mod mine but I say no, he says he can get the games for fee or like $10 each. I know every year he says he gets caught and has to buy a new 360seems like a pain in the ass to me.

He just recently said to me "Its a shame now all PS3 games can be played through backup, well ashame for Sony but good for my wallet"
So is this true?
As well as him never spending a dime on 360 games will he now be able to get all his PS3 games free too :lol

besiktas1

Pkm said:
Can someone sum all this up for me lol.

I havent really paid attention to this story because Ive never CFW'd my PSP, jailbroke anything or pirated any software.

I do know a guy who buys a new 360 every year and has most likely never bought a retail game. He always offers to mod mine but I say no, he says he can get the games for fee or like $10 each. I know every year he says he gets caught and has to buy a new 360seems like a pain in the ass to me.

He just recently said to me "Its a shame now all PS3 games can be played through backup, well ashame for Sony but good for my wallet"
So is this true?
As well as him never spending a dime on 360 games will he now be able to get all his PS3 games free too :lol
No offence but your friend sound like a thieving cunt. By pirating games he's a cocksucker by choice.

besiktas1 said:
No offence but your friend sound like a thieving cunt. By pirating games he's a cocksucker by choice.

Not really a friend really, guy I just grew up with. He always ask me about doin this for me then like I said wants to sell me 360 games for 10 bucks.

I told him...
I only buy games I really must have cause Im a collector so to say. I want all my boxes lined up and such. Plus wont you just get banned from online play etc.. I care about my stats and my trophies.

I wanna call him exactly what you said but he'd problably laugh it off, wish I could explain to him better why its its just not "right"

Pkm said:
Not really a friend really, guy I just grew up with. He always ask me about doin this for me then like I said wants to sell me 360 games for 10 bucks.

I told him...
I only buy games I really must have cause Im a collector so to say. I want all my boxes lined up and such. Plus wont you just get banned from online play etc.. I care about my stats and my trophies.

I wanna call him exactly what you said but he'd problably laugh it off, wish I could explain to him better why its its just not "right"

Seriously you should tell the police.

Well, the PSFreedom (the N900 version of PSGroove) has been modified for the Palm Pre and PSGroove modified to work on the PIC18F2550 chipset (but it requires a lot more work to get setup than the ATMega chipset original version).

Top Bottom