• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

mooooose

Segata Sanshiro said:
:lol

You guys are really playing with fire if Dragona sticks her head back in here.
They are arguing the device was created for profit and that promising piracy can give them the biggest margin. Not that everyone who gets it must be a pirate, which is what Dragona hates.

So it's fine.

Prime crotch said:
Among the bajilion of pages this thread now has, there was talk of a PSP emulator for the ps3 and I got the notion that Sony actually had one already. Did I got that right or am I confused.

Well, PS Minis work both on PS3 and PSP, so I'm sure there is some sort of emulation going on with the PS3.

Eiji said:
Exactly. Now, what makes more money, device allowing homebrew or device allowing to play games for free?
know what makes more money? a device that does both.

SolidusDave said:
Actually, region free gaming would be a homebrew feature many people paid money for in the past, but as the PS3 is region free...
the PS3 isn't region free. only PS3 games are.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
the PS3 isn't region free. only PS3 games are.

Ergo: The PS3 is region free. (With the exception of Backwards Compatibility and DVD's)

phosphor112 said:
Lol, yeah, I'm sure you don't know wtf you are talking about. If you want to try to stand up to the FBI or government while being an "Arab" (even though I'm technically "White", you'll get slammed (literally, I would know, and on my own property).

Back to the topic, I'm sure you used Linux on PS3, heh. Do you even know basic bash commands? Don't start googling that crap for a response either. If you don't then you have no reason to complain. I'm sure you'll say "it's about consumer rights!" Yeah, sure it is, to justify a bootloader because "karma is a bitch."

Howabout YOU don't make assumptions about me and I won't make assumptions about you, mmkay?

What does being Arab have to do with right and wrong? Please, do tell. Many people regardless of their race are bullied by the FBI and many of them go to court. Ever hear of the ACLU? That is what they're here for. To come to the assistance of those whose rights are being trampled on. Why do they exist? Because many times citizens have their rights trampled on and are without the financial means to defend themselves in court.

I don't use Linux but I also don't drink beer. Does that mean I shouldn't be up in arms if the government sought to clamp down on the use of beer for those who do drink it? No. Because one day if I so choose to grab a beer, I should have the ability to do so. If I purchased a product that was advertised to include a feature, even if I don't use the feature throughout the duration that I have the product, I should still be able to have every feature that was advertised when I purchased it. The fact that you don't understand that this is about consumer rights tells me all that I need to know about you on this issue.
And quit it with the straw-man. I never HAVE EVER said that a bootloader is karma for what Sony did so how about you drop that argument when discussing this issue with me. Ok?

androvsky

Linux on PS3 arguments have always turned to complete shit in less than a page, but this stood out to me.

phosphor112 said:
Back to the topic, I'm sure you used Linux on PS3, heh. Do you even know basic bash commands? Don't start googling that crap for a response either. If you don't then you have no reason to complain. I'm sure you'll say "it's about consumer rights!" Yeah, sure it is, to justify a bootloader because "karma is a bitch."

So if we do know basic bash commands we are allowed to complain? How about if I wrote a driver for a custom video card for linux? Ever accidentally allocate non-cache-coherent memory for DMA?

But that's completely beside the point. You don't need to know bash to run modern linux, especially one designed for a fixed platform like YDL was. You don't need to know bash to run firefox or openoffice, or any of the other programs it comes with.

missile said:
Pun intended? xD

I'm serious. Not gonna ask a third time.

TheSeks said:
Ergo: The PS3 is region free. (With the exception of Backwards Compatibility and DVD's)

Every PS3 is regioned and distinct from other PS3s with different regions. It's just that PS3 games don't have a region lock. Precision! :D

charlequin said:
Every PS3 is regioned and distinct from other PS3s with different regions. It's just that PS3 games don't have a region lock. Precision! :D

All PS3 games have a region encoded, so ergo I could say the PS3 itself does not enforce region coding on PS3 games (and PSN games and re-licensed PS1 games etc.).

Also, you guys know that wasn't the point. :p If the PS2 was region free for PS2 games but not PS1 games, less people would have bought a mod chip or similar stuff.

Yep, old news from a couple of days ago. Only a temporary injuction until August 31st. Since this thing doesn't contain any Sony code, business should be back to usual September 1st.:D

BoboBrazil said:
Yep, old news from a couple of days ago. Only a temporary injuction until August 31st. Since this thing doesn't contain any Sony code, business should be back to usual September 1st.:D
Cheers, good thing I didn't make a thread.

Zoe

BoboBrazil said:

It's still a little premature to say that.

Vamphuntr said:
1st day : OMG it's so fake
Later 1st day : OMG Youtube video shows it's true
2nd day : bunch of hackers and homebrew dev comfirms it's working
Third day- Seventh day : How does it works? Use Sony's Sdk or not? Buffer Overflow?
Recently : Sony was able to temorarily stop the selling of the usb stick in Australia

During days 1-10 : Is it legal? Piracy is bad. Piracy is good. ''I'm getting it only for homebrews''. Can Sony wins in court? And people hating each others (the usual).
thx, ur a star/

SolidusDave said:
All PS3 games have a region encoded, so ergo I could say the PS3 itself does not enforce region coding on PS3 games (and PSN games and re-licensed PS1 games etc.).

PSN games aren't region locked but the DLC for them is.

Zoe said:
It's still a little premature to say that.

The maker of the device has said that it contains no copyrighted code, the shell for the device was dumped and others have said it contains no copyrighted code. What else is needed as proof?

consoul

I doubt the lack of Sony code in the device will have much impact on Sony's ability to gain an extended injunction.

If you want to see a system being exploited with brute force, watch Sony and the Australian legal system tomorrow.

consoul said:
I doubt the lack of Sony code in the device will have much impact on Sony's ability to gain an extended injunction.

This was kind of my point when everyone was debating it earlier. Now it currently appears to be a clean hack without any code copyrighted to Sony -- and that is likely to affect the legal proceedings not at all. :lol

spwolf

charlequin said:
This was kind of my point when everyone was debating it earlier. Now it currently appears to be a clean hack without any code copyrighted to Sony -- and that is likely to affect the legal proceedings not at all. :lol

on what grounds were R4 carts banned in many countries around the world?

Let's see if they get one of these injuctions for Europe or North America by the time stock is shipped out. People in China already have stock and are selling them. Most sites are supposed to get stock by Wednesday. Supposedly with the code that came out anyone can make a clone if they have the right parts and if someone will make that usb driver for the psp, you could use that instead.

Foffy

Banned
spwolf said:

I believe those cards do contain copyrighted Nintendo files in order to be recognized on the DS. I think it's something they exploited further on the DSi, but I'm not sure.

Cheerilee

spwolf said:
http://kotaku.com/5474375/nintendo-goes-to-court-again-this-time-over-ds-piracy"

"Nintendo has won its second legal victory of the month in Australia, with a seller of R4 flash cartridges in the country ordered to pay the Japanese company over AUD$500,000 in fines."

"In addition to the corporate fine, two men named individually in the case, Patrick & James Li, must also pay AUD$100,000 in penalties."

"It's important to note that, while in 2005 an Australian judge decreed that the use of mod chips in home consoles was legal, he did so on the grounds that the chips themselves were unable to copy or pirate games. The R4 differs from this in that, by being compatible with a PC, it allows users to download pirated games off the internet and easily copy them directly onto the cartridge."
According to Australia...

Modchip = Good.
Modchip with it's own Storage Capacity = Bad

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ruby_onix said:
Modchip = Good.
It sounds more like "Modchip that comes with ISO/Backup software = Bad".
Which in turn would mean the original PSJailbreak should be outlawed by default over there.

Fafalada said:
It sounds more like "Modchip that comes with ISO/Backup software = Bad".
Which in turn would mean the original PSJailbreak should be outlawed by default over there.
PS Jailbreak doesn't come with any ISO/Backup software though. and you can't get games off the internet and copy them to the PS Jailbreak.

Zoe

BoboBrazil said:
The maker of the device has said that it contains no copyrighted code, the shell for the device was dumped and others have said it contains no copyrighted code. What else is needed as proof?

The maker may say so, but that needs to be proven in court.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
PS Jailbreak Update

The PS Jailbreak Team has confirmed, exclusively to PSX-SCENE, that they will be launching a new Backup Manager (version 1.1) soon with new features & tweaks.

They would also like to clarify that the launch delay was not caused by a parts shortage as originally reported. They are finishing their retail packaging and finalizing the new software.

With the recent injunction in Australia, they have decided to stand behind their dealers and distributors with financial support. They have made a sizable donation to both OzMods and Quantronics to help support the cause!​

Clipper

ruby_onix said:
According to Australia...

Modchip = Good.
No. It's:

Modchip that allows import games = good
Modchip that doesn't allow import games and can be used for piracy = bad

If you use a modchip that was installed for import games to pirate, that is also bad, but the modchip itself is allowed as it does have a useful non-piracy function not available elsewhere.

The systems upon which the R4 and Jigkick work don't need import games as they are already region free. The other modchips are the types that it's OK to install (although there are other restrictions on imports depending on copyrighted code, etc.)

Killthee said:
PS Jailbreak Update

The PS Jailbreak Team has confirmed, exclusively to PSX-SCENE, that they will be launching a new Backup Manager (version 1.1) soon with new features & tweaks.

They would also like to clarify that the launch delay was not caused by a parts shortage as originally reported. They are finishing their retail packaging and finalizing the new software.

With the recent injunction in Australia, they have decided to stand behind their dealers and distributors with financial support. They have made a sizable donation to both OzMods and Quantronics to help support the cause!​

This is fantastic news. Great they are going to be updating software and it was a nice thing to do for those sites in Australia.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
PS Jailbreak doesn't come with any ISO/Backup software though.

I take it you feel the software-naming is purely coincidental right?

consoul

Well, technically it doesn't come with any backup software.

The dongle is the product being sold.
The Backup Manager software is freely available for anyone to download. It is not being sold.
Paper-thin as that distinction may be, it's been done that way very deliberately.

itxaka

Defeatist
androvsky said:
Linux on PS3 arguments have always turned to complete shit in less than a page, but this stood out to me.

So if we do know basic bash commands we are allowed to complain? How about if I wrote a driver for a custom video card for linux? Ever accidentally allocate non-cache-coherent memory for DMA?

But that's completely beside the point. You don't need to know bash to run modern linux, especially one designed for a fixed platform like YDL was. You don't need to know bash to run firefox or openoffice, or any of the other programs it comes with.

Dude, if you haven't coded your own shell you can't complain! That is how we linux folks rule, either your are hardcore or you are not. Deal with it.
ZYgql.png

Vamphuntr

Can someone explain to me how this is different from the Lik-Sang case that happened some years ago? They first got into trouble with Sony because they were selling mod chips. It took a while for a decision to be made so meanwhile Lik-Sang ''transformed'' itself into a legit import dealer. Sony ultimately won in court. It seems they won by taking actions against them in multiple countries at the same time so that Lik Sang couldn't keep up. I checked wikipedia and other pages but the info is not very complete.

Noshino

Vamphuntr said:
Can someone explain to me how this is different from the Lik-Sang case that happened some years ago? They first got into trouble with Sony because they were selling mod chips. It took a while for a decision to be made so meanwhile Lik-Sang ''transformed'' itself into a legit import dealer. Sony ultimately won in court. It seems they won by taking actions against them in multiple countries at the same time so that Lik Sang couldn't keep up. I checked wikipedia and other pages but the info is not very complete.

Actually the story there is pretty accurate. For the mod chips, it wasn't just Sony, but also Nintendo and Microsoft went hard on Lik Sang and caused them to legitimize their business, it was because of the early release of the PSP in a market were it was yet not available that Sony went all out on them.... it was this that caused them to close shop.

Vamphuntr

Noshino said:
Actually the story there is pretty accurate. For the mod chips, it wasn't just Sony, but also Nintendo and Microsoft went hard on Lik Sang and caused them to legitimize their business, it was because of the early release of the PSP in a market were it was yet not available that Sony went all out on them.... it was this that caused them to close shop.

I see. Thank you :) . The wikipedia claims that the big three sued for copyright infringements. How were the mod chips (or mod chip selling) breaking copyrights? By reading this thread I was pretty sure it wasn't the case. Only maybe if the chips were made/modified from parts created by the big three? This is the part I wasn't sure about.

legend166

Honestly, I hope the Australian courts rule that mod chips are illegal on systems that don't have region locking. That's the only hope we've got of Nintendo releasing a system without region locking, haha.

Cheerilee

Vamphuntr said:
I see. Thank you :) . The wikipedia claims that the big three sued for copyright infringements. How were the mod chips (or mod chip selling) breaking copyrights? By reading this thread I was pretty sure it wasn't the case. Only maybe if the chips were made/modified from parts created by the big three? This is the part I wasn't sure about.
Mod chips don't break copyrights. They're not even a tool for breaking copyrights (unless it's a combination of a modchip and a dumper). They legally and rightfully remove artificial restrictions on the hardware that you own and are allowed to mess with. If someone chooses to break the law and break a copyright, a modchip can go a long way towards making that broken copyright useful (another use for it would be legal emulators).

Companies sue to ban modchips the same way some people try to outlaw hammers after some guy with a cheating wife bashes his best friend's head in with one.

People who need to break region locks are obviously less common than carpenters who need hammers, and there are more software pirates than murderers in this world, but the principle is the same, and there are also people, particularly on GAF, who like to break copyrights for genuinely harmless reasons.

Sony shut down Lik Sang by arguing that it was their right to screw European gamers, and that Lik Sang was criminal by selling anything to them. They'll use any argument or tactic they can and don't care who gets hurt in the war against piracy.

Truespeed

Did Sony confiscate the PSJailbreak devices or did the injunction just force the reseller to sell all of their inventory to Sony at the retail price? According to the article in Joystiq it was the latter.

DieH@rd

Banned
Killthee said:
PS Jailbreak Update

NTFS support maybe?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
i notice that you only quoted and responded to the first part. the response about the R4 had two distinct attributes.
Has there been any confirmation or denial on copying(or downloading) backups from somewhere else? I've seen a lot of people assume it works, but that's it so far.

consoul said:

The Backup Manager software is freely available for anyone to download. It is not being sold.
Paper-thin as that distinction may be, it's been done that way very deliberately.

That is as paper-thin as "we are not hosting pirated games, we are hosting .torrent files that redirect to the pirated games that other people is distributing by P2P. But there is no pirate game in our servers".

At least M3 cards had in the official web a video dumping program for their DS carts.

spwolf

consoul said:

Courts are a lot more pragmatic than that... R4 also did not contain any storage by itself, you had to purchase it. In fact, I would think R4 was in the same boat as this thing. Heck, you could perfectly legitimately use R4 in more ways that this dongle.

3rdman

MDJCM said:
I dont even care about the piracy, i just want XBMC on PS3, is that going to happen with this stickk?
Since this allows for homebrew, I'd say that's inevitable and the main reason for my desire to own it.

Razgreez

ruby_onix said:
Mod chips don't break copyrights. They're not even a tool for breaking copyrights (unless it's a combination of a modchip and a dumper). They legally and rightfully remove artificial restrictions on the hardware that you own and are allowed to mess with. If someone chooses to break the law and break a copyright, a modchip can go a long way towards making that broken copyright useful (another use for it would be legal emulators).

Companies sue to ban modchips the same way some people try to outlaw hammers after some guy with a cheating wife bashes his best friend's head in with one.

People who need to break region locks are obviously less common than carpenters who need hammers, and there are more software pirates than murderers in this world, but the principle is the same, and there are also people, particularly on GAF, who like to break copyrights for genuinely harmless reasons.

Sony shut down Lik Sang by arguing that it was their right to screw European gamers, and that Lik Sang was criminal by selling anything to them. They'll use any argument or tactic they can and don't care who gets hurt in the war against piracy.

As i read this imperial march theme music began to play in my mind

Truespeed said:
Did Sony confiscate the PSJailbreak devices or did the injunction just force the reseller to sell all of their inventory to Sony at the retail price? According to the article in Joystiq it was the latter.
neither of the two australian resellers that were issued an injunction via Sony received their shipment yet. someone mentioned that the PS Jailbreak people posted a notice saying that they were finalizing retail packaging and working more on added value software, which delayed their initial shipment date. also, neither of the two resellers had their sample unit anymore.

Zoe

jorma said:
lol. I really hope you mean the opposite of what you just said.

My point is that right now it's just their word and Sony will do what they need to in order to prove one way or the other.

Them saying that it's original doesn't automatically make it true.

Top Bottom