• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Wallpaper thread

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ThirstyFly said:
It doesn't look like you can actually delete the file once it's on the PS3. You can disable the wallpaper to get the animating waves back, but the wallpaper image is still saved.

Kind of makes me wonder how much junk I'll end up with taking up HD space that I can't see or delete during the consoles lifespan.

Hopefully it just saves 1 and replaces it when you add a new image, and not just keeps saving them.

It saves one wallpaper at the time. Doesnt save multiple files. You can also delete the original image once you have set it as a wallpaper.

dfyb

Banned
a feature that would be cool is to give us a 'darken' option for wallpapers. some wallpapers make it hard to read the text, but if you are viewing the image and press the PS button, it'll darken it and leave it in the background -- things are typically quite visible, nomatter what image it is.

all they would need to let us do is set that manually for wallpapers and that would make almost any image a great wallpaper.

glaurung

I played around with the wallpaper option, but eventually decided not to use it. The swirling background adds more life to the XMB.

Anyway, here are two backgrounds that I played around with, maybe you like them.

Dark grass and Alucard.

FightyF

Banned
dfyb said:
a feature that would be cool is to give us a 'darken' option for wallpapers. some wallpapers make it hard to read the text, but if you are viewing the image and press the PS button, it'll darken it and leave it in the background -- things are typically quite visible, nomatter what image it is.

all they would need to let us do is set that manually for wallpapers and that would make almost any image a great wallpaper.

If you could manually set what opacity the dark layer should be, it would be perfect. There's a surprising amount of stuff you could do with photos on the PS3 that something like this wouldn't be so far fetched.

I was thinking of putting something like this on to fool my brother :p
halo3-halotrilogy-02.jpg

I made a custom bg with my GamerTag:

http://i11.tinypic.com/4ta8wf8.jpg

I'm hoping the blur also makes things easier to read.

That would be an alternative to darkening pics...is to blur them.

wotter

SOLDIER said:
Some Transformers would be nice too.

Anyway, try this on. It's currently the wallpaper for my PS3, and looks quite outstanding.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/982/samusaranbattlescarsbytgg1.jpg
Awesome, my new background now, thx Soldier (y)

i6743_achtergrond1.jpg

nofilter said:
Has anyone tried transparent PNGs to see if the swirl shows through? I'd imagine it won't, but would be ace if it did - here's one I just did to test it.
Mh it just shows a red background although the image is just fine, maybe someone can test it too? Btw i have 27 trailers in the video segment now :D.

i6744_achtergrond2.jpg

A couple pics from my trip to SanFran a few years back:

And from a rooftop in Brooklyn after a thunderstorm:

I cropped them to try and work with the XMB.

Yixian

Banned
So there's no way to darken the XMB theme? I have a lightish mozaic background but I can't read or see shit over it.

Yixian

Banned
Most of these are useless, sorry. So long as the XMBs theme is white icon and white text, you can't see shit on half of these wallpapers. Only really dark images work at all.

Core407

Banned
ThirstyFly said:
It doesn't look like you can actually delete the file once it's on the PS3. You can disable the wallpaper to get the animating waves back, but the wallpaper image is still saved.

Kind of makes me wonder how much junk I'll end up with taking up HD space that I can't see or delete during the consoles lifespan.

Hopefully it just saves 1 and replaces it when you add a new image, and not just keeps saving them.

It's just 1 background image that gets saved over when you change the wallpaper. Probably done so that deleting the wallpaper images off the HDD wouldn't cause the XMB to crash.

Why is it that 1080 res photos aren't showing fully when viewing them in the Photo broswer? There are borders on the left and right of the image.

Thanks.

dfyb

Banned
KennyLinder said:
Why is it that 1080 res photos aren't showing fully when viewing them in the Photo broswer? There are borders on the left and right of the image.

Thanks.
1920x1200 is not 1080p

you have an extra 120 pixels for the height so you have the borders. use the sticks to zoom in and crop it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Ah i really really like the little ribbon swirl, i wish you could keep that overlayed onto whatever image you want.
Or like Jim said just make it so the background is always a color, instead of going to black at night.

Top Bottom