• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 basic model for... 399 euros/dollars?

The more expensive SKU will always be seen as the default one. If Sony prices one at $400 and another at $500, they're seriously hurting their early sales. They're better off doing something like the 360 launch and pricing a higher end SKU at $400 and a cheaper one at $300.

Into

399 dollars could happen if they do not include the PSEye camera and comes with a smaller HD, say 100-200 gig, which yeah will be very small + Sony takes a minor loss on each console

But hey, i doubt they have decided on a price this early, that is the kind of stuff you decide on last on, its a strategic move.

399 dollars could happen if they do not include the PSEye camera and comes with a smaller HD, say 100-200 gig, which yeah will be very small + Sony takes a minor loss on each console

But hey, i doubt they have decided on a price this early, that is the kind of stuff you decide on last on, its a strategic move.

Do laptop HDDs in sizes that small get manufactured regularly?

I think I may have seen 160GB recently, but I'd guess 250GB has to be the entry point.

At that point you're just losing future sales because *most* consumers will just use whatever space they have and not clean it or maintain it. It's in their best interest to give us as large as they reasonably can.

Aside from price it comes down to what games are at launch, I have drive club and bungie's game on order but I have a feeling none of those two will be at launch.

Expected, but I'll still wait to see what games are available at launch / launch window before deciding how much it's worth.
Versus exclusive would make me drop that kind of money in an instant.

A Noctis x Stella limited edition? You wouldn't want to know how much I would pay for THAT!

Isn't 399$ too low, given what we know/speculate about the console and its component prices? I've always thought 449$ for entry price, and I still think that's going to be the entry price, with no PSEye and smaller HDD. 499 for the PSeye SKU. Even if the PS4 teaser released today hints a little to PSEye being essential for the console, so included in every SKU...

EDIT: Yes, with no screencap / nothing chached either, it's difficult to believe this right now.

Premium X360 costed 399$ back in 2005 and it was way more high tech for its time than PS4 will be. I really don't know why 399$ entry price is so hard to imagine for some.

kuroshiki

I don't think they make 200g HDD anymore. Besides the price difference between 250 and 500 is pretty much negligible.

Orayn

I've said it before and I'll say it again, $400 is the magic number. If they go over that price, they do so at their own peril.

Into

I don't think they make 200g HDD anymore. Besides the price difference between 250 and 500 is pretty much negligible.

You are probably right, i am just trying to see where they could cut corners

Maybe neglect to pack in a HDMI cable :p, tough i doubt PS4 will even work on SD tvs

PaulLFC

I could be completely wrong here (probably am), but wouldn't Sony India reveal the price in their local currency, rupees, rather than euros or dollars?

I looked at a couple of other products and they are all listed as "Rs ____" rather than "$ ___".

AniHawk

a basic system at $400 and a bells-and-whistles one at $500 sounds about right, although there had been rumors for a one sku (which would mean $400?).

seems like both microsoft and sony might go this route. and people will ignore the low-end sku like they always tend to do. it will be fun and games with milton bradley in november.

It can't be that cheap. They'd almost need an ambassador program for all the folk who aren't on sites like this who paid almost $300 for a PS3 (they still sell for that) only to find out something light years better was coming out later in the year from Sony for only $100 more.

That price seems so marginal of an increase over a PS3 that I think many would think the PS4 was as marginal an increase in tech and capabilities as the price suggests.

$399 is the number that has been floating around for a while amongst third parties rumor-ing with each other. It seems more likely after 'leaked' japanese and now euro prices.

And $499 is the Xbox number that's been everywhere, including thurriot. Microsoft better hope that Kinect 2 is fucking magic if they are planning on launching at $100 more. To be clear... I find it hard to believe that they would. But rumors be rumoring.

EvB

There is no way it's going to be £350 here.

Nope, there is no way that Sony will position it has only slightly more expensive than the Wii-U.

Sony are a premium hardware manufacturer, they have shiny pretty boxes and they command a premium. Also, selling high allows them to reduce the price very slowly over a long period of time, which is why it's hard to get a PS3 for under £200 still

The PC of 2015 for $399? No way.

360 was rather powerful at launch in 2005 right? that was £279.

It's going to depend on how much of a risk sony want to take with console profits and making it back with software.

I can't see them going too high after the ps3 original price.

ReaperXL7

It can't be that cheap. They'd almost need an ambassador program for all the folk who aren't on sites like this who paid almost $300 for a PS3 (they still sell for that) only to find out something light years better was coming out later in the year from Sony for only $100 more.

That price seems so marginal of an increase over a PS3 that I think many would think the PS4 was as marginal an increase in tech and capabilities as the price suggests.

Thats why they will drop the price of the ps3 at E3 most likely, its well known that the PS4 is coming so anyone who buys a PS3 before finding out the price of the PS4 has no one to blame but themselves really.

omonimo

Banned

Pure irrationalism here.

PaulLFC

Nope, there is no way that Sony will position it has only slightly more expensive than the Wii-U.

Sony are a premium hardware manufacturer, they have shiny pretty boxes and they command a premium. Also, selling high allows them to reduce the price very slowly over a long period of time, which is why it's hard to get a PS3 for under £200 still
Premium manufacturer they may be, but they want marketshare. The 360 is the best selling out of itself and the PS3 in the UK, Sony won't want a repeat of that this generation if they can help it.

If Sony drop £50 a time off the price, £350 still gives them 3 price cuts before they get to the £200 price point, and that's not counting bundles they could do at existing price points to avoid dropping the price.

Ce-Lin

250 GB? must be a joke, the price difference between that and a 500GB-1TB drive is negligible. Also I didn't know 250 GB drives were still being manufactured.

Ensoul

400 bucks and I am all over this. Of course we have to see what the extra 100 bucks gets you. The thing is, for me anyway, 250 gigs is more than enough space. I know games will likely be bigger next gen but so far my 250 gig 360 is perfectly fine for me.

elbourreau

390€? Day fuckin' one, baby!

tumblr_m3vevjt8j21qdewlro5_250.gif

Top Bottom