• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 basic model for... 399 euros/dollars?

Jonboy

playstation-vita-price-release-window-announced.jpg

I'm not saying the conversion is 1 : 1 but this has been the pattern for a while now.
Dang. Thanks for pointing that out. Someone else had said the Vita launched at 220 euros, but that's clearly incorrect.

Now I look like a fool....ehh, what can I say? You live and you learn!

Lucis

I never get you people
what's the difference? What's the big deal? Say it's something that you will use for years, it's like 20$ a year extra (say 5 years). that's like, 5 cups of coffee a year?

Will never understand this lol.

Zep

Banned
Outside of the larger HD size every single one of these are going to be bundled in with the cheaper SKU. They are really crazy if they don't pack in an HDMI cable.

I'd imagine a more expensive SKU will have more than 1 month of whatever service they have, a larger HD and a pack in game - something like 1 year of PS+, double the HD capacity and Killzone for $499.

I don't see them giving away a year of any of their new services with a premium. At the most...3 months of free service for PS+ and the new stuff.

I think $399 or $499 bundled with a full game(like Killzone or Infamous) is a pipe dream.

This is the fun part of it. We'll know in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Good luck with that.
Otherwise I can wait. Wii u was already stretching it at $350, but it came with a game and had Wii backward compatability, so I was willing to pay it. If ps4 had BC, I would buy it at $399 no matter what, since I'd be able to trade in my ps3, but I can't afford $400 plus another $60 for a game, with two kids that are going to need christmas presents a month or so later.

Hattori

Banned
I never get you people
what's the difference? What's the big deal? Say it's something that you will use for years, it's like 20$ a year extra (say 5 years). that's like, 5 cups of coffee a year?

Some people work for a living and have families, and prices like these makes it hard to justify purchasing.

I personally don't have a problem with it, but I'm still waiting on the full launch games list before I commit on such a price.

I never get you people

The price point isn't an issue for me. You make it sound like it isn't for you either. Remember that there are a lot of other people out there that 100 dollars is a big difference for. Excluding tax, if they can buy the console and a game and an extra controller and be in the low 500 range walking out the door, they'll be happy. Maybe that's all they can afford. If you start at 500, there's no wiggle room for them and their budget is blown up.

Yes, these consoles are an investment that should pay off with all the content 6 to 7 years down the line. 500 AND 600 dollars is a lot of money to most and if it's too high, they'll wait until they can afford it.

And come one, there's a big difference between spending 500 to 600 in one shot in comparison to whatever your local coffee shop charges you Monday to Friday.

PopeReal

I never get you people

If I save a $100 on the console, that money can go towards games. That is the way I always looked at it.

nib95

Banned
I never get you people

You don't get why a $100 difference for a luxury item is quite a lot to some people? Bare in mind, this isn't including the games or accessories which could cost a lot more on top over the years.

It's funny that for many the question now is: What is basic and what is premium?

But why does it have to be basic and premium, and not basic and subscription based?
I think a 250€-300€ version of the same model with a 2 year subscription to PS+ (which will probably be a necessity to access GAIKAI) for 8-9€ per month would sell like hotcakes. Less than 10€ a month is the magic number the number were people not think about, "What would this mean per annum?" but : Fuck it that's a burger and a tall coffee.
Standard subscription for "basic" user should still be 60€ a year so you'd basically still come out of it cheaper.

Super Slim (12GB) PS3 is already being sold for 170/199€ (non-/bundled). Slash that price another 50€, and consequently also that of Vita (or package it in some "Premium" PS4 bundles with Knack).

Fredrik

Lol €399 is crazy, that's what I paid for the WiiU, there is no way that Sony could go that low without offering an insanely gimped version just to lure people in.

Chronos24

Actually sounds believable. Probably a 499 500GB+ pack too.

I wanna know what else is included. My guess if rumor holds true 399 250gb model with built in wifi, 1 controller, hdmi cable (for the love of god include an hdmi cable). Will need PS+ subscription. 499 model will be 500gb, 1 year PS+ (hopefully), 1 controller, PlayStation eye? Just my guess

Toki767

DerZuhälter;58243580 said:
It's funny that for many the question now is: What is basic and what is premium?

But why does it have to be basic and premium, and not basic and subscription based?
I think a 250€-300€ version of the same model with a 2 year subscription to PS+ (which will probably be a necessity to access GAIKAI) for 8-9€ per month would sell like hotcakes. Less than 10€ a month is the magic number the number were people not think about, "What would this mean per annum?" but : Fuck it that's a burger and a tall coffee.
Standard subscription for "basic" user should still be 60€ a year so you'd basically still come out of it cheaper.

Super Slim (12GB) PS3 is already being sold for 170/199€ (non-/bundled). Slash that price another 50€, and consequently also that of Vita (or package it in some "Premium" PS4 bundles with Knack).

I don't think Sony are ready to try a subscription based model yet. They'll probably see how the next Xbox does with theirs and introduce one in a year or two.

$399 sounds great!!! for us Americans that is :p

399 euros is not so great though... that's $513 as of today...

oh well. $399 + game & tax would be $501.38 for me! unfortunately, i will have to pass on it as i will have a newborn baby to watch.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
$399 is a good price. About what I expected.

Gbraga

I never get you people

Can I pay 399 and then 5 cups of coffee a year for Sony or do I need the extra 100 with me when I buy it? That should answer your question.

Why can't we go back to one model console.

because they're trying to make money. the lower and more popular SKU will sell the most, but at the lowest margin. the make up for this, they release a 2nd SKU that uses pretty much all of the same parts except for maybe bigger storage space or something simple and charge an extra $100 for it. those sku's get a nice bump in margin for such a simple change in the sku

Dang. Thanks for pointing that out. Someone else had said the Vita launched at 220 euros, but that's clearly incorrect.

Well the PS3 wasn't priced like this if I remember correctly. So you don't totally look like a fool. :p

399 is what I'm expecting but if they have a 499 version with Eye packed in I'm going for that one unless my savings goes away.

I don't think Sony are ready to try a subscription based model yet. They'll probably see how the next Xbox does with theirs and introduce one in a year or two.

Success often means chosing bold decisions. I don't believe stuff like video sharing/streaming and GAIKAI is something that could really work without a monthly subscription anyways. So why not do it this way.

Lucis

Some people work for a living and have families, and prices like these makes it hard to justify purchasing.

I personally don't have a problem with it, but I'm still waiting on the full launch games list before I commit on such a price.

Most people work for a living, I just justified it by comparing it to 5 cups of coffee per year over 5 years, or you can probably do 4/y over 6 years, that's 1 less cup of star bucks every quarter.

The price point isn't an issue for me. You make it sound like it isn't for you either. Remember that there are a lot of other people out there that 100 dollars is a big difference for. Excluding tax, if they can buy the console and a game and an extra controller and be in the low 500 range walking out the door, they'll be happy. Maybe that's all they can afford. If you start at 500, there's no wiggle room for them and their budget is blown up.

Yes, these consoles are an investment that should pay off with all the content 6 to 7 years down the line. 500 AND 600 dollars is a lot of money to most and if it's too high, they'll wait until they can afford it.

And come one, there's a big difference between spending 500 to 600 in one shot in comparison to whatever your local coffee shop charges you Monday to Friday.

Save a bit here and there then, I am not rich either, I just don't spend money on whatever I want for the moment. (This is a culture problem and probably isn't related to the thread) I would imagine for A LOT of people here, a new game console is a lot more desirable than a lot of other things, which can be where money can be saved from.

If I save a $100 on the console, that money can go towards games. That is the way I always looked at it.

You don't SAVE 100$, the thing cost 499$, it is hard to imagine for PS3 399$ (or even 499$) is a profitable situation for the company.

You don't get why a $100 difference for a luxury item is quite a lot to some people? Bare in mind, this isn't including the games or accessories which could cost a lot more on top over the years.

Not that I don't get the 100$ difference, it is not a 100-200 comparison, it's 400-500, a 25% increase on something that will last over MANY YEARS.

Over all its' the people that goes
399 in, 499 out
that confuses me.

Obviously people care enough to come to neogaf to read all about this and post

Because I can buy a console at $500 now and have to buy all games at full price, and have the thing last me 7 years, or I can buy the console in a year or two at $300-$400, buy a bunch of cheap games that are new to me, and have the thing last me 5-6 years.

DSix

Banned
400€ ? I was hoping for slightly less.

I'll take one when it goes down to about or under 300€. Hopefully in less than 5 fucking years unlike the PS3.

How on earth is 250GB not enough space?

Because more than likely you must install games to the hard drive to use them. The disc is just another delivery method, so you don't have to download it, but even with a disc, it will still have to get installed to the hard drive. Reason being is that the hard drive is much faster than the Blu-Ray drive.

If the games come in at around 50GB a pop, that means you could only have 5 "big" games on the box (assuming you have nothing else on the console, and assuming that all 250GB of that would be usable, which is unlikely since the OS and system apps will take up space) until you are out of space and need to uninstall a game to install a new one. Obviously not every game will come in that big, but still, 250GB doesn't leave a whole lot of room for games.

I'm hoping that info is wrong, and there's at least a 500GB hard drive, with the option of a premium model with a 1TB+ drive.

The_Lump

Banned
If €399 turned out to be the correct GBP conversion of £330ish then thats...still sorta expensive but doable I suppose.

But it won't. It'll £399. And I'll be out for launch.

I'd pay ~£350 for a premium model with like, 1TB storage. But no more than that.

Most games are not/should not be that much. Probably half that memory is just useless crap. Most PC games these days are not more than 20 GB.

Bethesda tends not to make their games more than 10 GB.

You say that as if it's a rule. As time goes by, more games (not all) use up more disk space just because levels get bigger, there are more objects in the world to make them more detailed (and therefore more models/textures that need to be on disc).

Back in the day, I remember being shocked that Deus Ex took up 1GB. It was just insane that a single game used up that much space back then.

I'm not sure where "most" games are in terms of their size (including arcade and indie games), but suffice to say, almost all AAA games will probably get close to that limit.

So bought for 399€.

The official price has always been 250€, but at launch in Amazon you could get Vita + 8GB + shipping for 230€, which is what I did.

Top Bottom