• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 basic model for... 399 euros/dollars?

$400 bones isn't bad for what you're getting. A worthwhile investment, but requires some $$ saved up for the college kids.

I think 400 euro, in US dollars is like $515.

Meant to post this like an hour ago, so I'm sure someone else posted this

$400 USD would be an instapurchase for me. That's the sweet spot.

Copenap

But euro price is incl. Vat while $ isn't so usually a conversion rate of 1 is quite acurate.

You don't SAVE 100$, the thing cost 499$, it is hard to imagine for PS3 399$ (or even 499$) is a profitable situation for the company.

I guess youy mean PS4. No it's not. PS4 is a SOC and thus is supposed to be cheap to manufacture. That's one of the reasons that convinced Sony to go with AMD.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I never get you people
what's the difference? What's the big deal? Say it's something that you will use for years, it's like 20$ a year extra (say 5 years). that's like, 5 cups of coffee a year?

Will never understand this lol.

yup. [/endThread]

Even compared to the $299 of the original launch PSX... $200 extra (if it's $499) on something you will use for 7 years? That's less than $3/month extra..

but that's western consumerism for you. What will this cost me NOW, because I have no financial vision/long term understanding. I only know what's in my bank account or on my paycheck NOW.

It's how you see people think it's awesome that they saved $50 on a phone, that they are in a two year contract for around $1700 for... Congrats on that $50 savings... aka 3% savings.

Requiem

I have $700 saved for my PS4 and some games so $399 would enable me to buy 4 games or I could do the premium version (assuming it's $499) and 2 games....decisions, decisions....

Demon Ice

Banned
a basic model with a smaller drive and lack of move/eye features sounds great

Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Rupees.jpg

This is hilarious because India uses Rupees, well played.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I wish they had posted Indian price too (in Rupees that is). I would have known how much I need to save. Soon enough, I guess.

m0t0k1

Still think it is to expensive in this day and age where you can get an Ipad for less. But if people are happy with the price more power to them.

I don't mind $399, especially if it does all that it promises. I think the only downfall of that price point is that I may only be able to get 2 launch games for it because that's a pretty high price still.

Not sure if this is legit yet, but either way wouldn't mind that price. Now its just time to wait for the whiners to come in and say "I was hoping it would be $100 because that's how much a console should cost blah bla bla." If you didn't notice I'm just overextending in that comment, people really just hope for it to be $200 which I think is absurd for a brand new console.

The_Lump

Banned
yup. [/endThread]

Even compared to the $299 of the original launch PSX... $200 extra (if it's $499) on something you will use for 7 years? That's less than $3/month extra..

but that's western consumerism for you. What will this cost me NOW, because I have no financial vision/long term understanding. I only know what's in my bank account or on my paycheck NOW.

It's how you see people think it's awesome that they saved $50 on a phone, that they are in a two year contract for around $1700 for... Congrats on that $50 savings... aka 3% savings.

So we should just pay anything for anything? Hey £1000 is only £11 a month over 7 years!! Bargain!

And what if you don't have this $200 extra 'NOW'? That's a pretty silly statement man.

I still suspect there might be some online services shenanigans, and that they would probably be included with the premium model instead of the cheaper one. A cheaper model with none of the things you won't use sounds too good to be true.

HT UK

So the PS4 price is leaked and no one took a screenshot? I'm dubious tbh. But that price for the 'basic' model does seem plausible.

I never get you people
what's the difference? What's the big deal? Say it's something that you will use for years, it's like 20$ a year extra (say 5 years). that's like, 5 cups of coffee a year?

You could justify almost anything using this method. "XBL is $60 what's the big deal that's like 6 pizza's a year?" "$60 games to $70 games whats the big deal, that's like $1.20/year if you play the game for 5 years.. .what you can't afford 1 cup of coffee a year lololol"

yup. [/endThread]

Yes... that crazy weird logic of western consumerism that thinks that $500 and $400 are different amounts, because they are.

I never get you people

Perception of value is an unknown concept to you it seems.
Who says I or others believe there is anywhere near 399 euros worth of hardware in ps4?
For a lot of people the 399 may already be 100 more than they think it should cost.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So we should just pay anything for anything? Hey £1000 is only £11 a month over 7 years!! Bargain!
if the equipment, at a reasonable markup, costs $1000... then yeah... that isn't that much more over the life of use.

And what if you don't have this $200 extra 'NOW'? That's a pretty silly statement man.
If you don't have that extra money "NOW", then why are you entertaining buying this.

The price is what it is. The additional price over similar products from similar eras over the expected life of the product would seem to be not bad at all. If you can afford it or not simply is what it is. If you don't have that $200, that doesn't suddenly mean the price is unreasonable.

Perception of value is an unknown concept to you it seems.
Who says I or others believe there is anywhere near 399 euros worth of hardware in ps4?
For a lot of people the 399 may already be 100 more than they think it should cost.
"believe". "think". So basically numbers from your rear and then disappointment that those numbers aren't meant? I mean c'mon..

Pimpbaa

The amount of games some people buy in here, just be a little more frugal with you game buying for a few months and you will have the money for the ps4.

Normally, when the console is 400 euros overseas, it's normally only $400 here in the States. It's never been a one to one conversion when it comes to pricing.

"believe". "think". So basically numbers from your rear and then disappointment that those numbers aren't meant? I mean c'mon..

Ok so you don't understand what perception of value means.

Whatever helps you rationalise paying 10 dollars for a' double venti frappuchino ' , paying for xbox live or buying a 600 dollar phone tied to a 1200 dollar 2 year phone plan I suppose.

The_Lump

Banned
if the equipment, at a reasonable markup, costs $1000... then yeah... that isn't that much more over the life of use.

If you don't have that extra money "NOW", then why are you entertaining buying this.

The price is what it is. The additional price over similar products from similar eras over the expected life of the product would seem to be not bad at all. If you can afford it or not simply is what it is. If you don't have that $200, that doesn't suddenly mean the price is unreasonable.

My comment about having the money "Now" was in response to you saying consumers are wrong to think about what's literally in their bank account right now, and instead they should pay whatever price based on what it costs over 7 years. That's impossible if you physically don't have the money....was my point.

If I thought it was worth £400 I'd pay £400. I don't, so I probably won't. That's the point. It doesn't matter how long I'll use it for. In my house £400 is a lot of money to spend on an entertainment device. £300 is a totally different prospect.

I didn't say not having the money now makes it unreasonably priced, I said that you can't expect consumers to ignore what it costs now just because it's worth it over time. It doesn't work like that after a certain point.

cchum

Wait what....?

People do factor in long term costs in a purchasing decision.

Almost all car websites have a section for "true" cost of ownership over periods of a couple years, factoring in insurance, fuel cost etc.

I never buy anything before looking at ancillary costs.

I have $700 saved for my PS4 and some games so $399 would enable me to buy 4 games or I could do the premium version (assuming it's $499) and 2 games....decisions, decisions....

This is pretty much what I'm rolling at funds wise before christmas, so I can cope with 400 or 500, it just comes down to how many launch games I can get. There's a bunch I want too, so I'm hoping for 400, but we'll see.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
yup. [/endThread]

I'm amazed no one solved console pricing sooner. So simple. Thanks to you, MS and Sony will now easily sell just as many PS4s and XB3s @ $499 as they would have @ $399...

Akira

It'd be nice if there was only one SKU with upgradable HDD.

$399
500GB HDD
PS Eye
1 Controller
1 month PS+ membership

$400 is a fine price assuming I am not getting completely screwed on features from higher priced models

I should never feel like I didn't pay enough when I am shelling out $400 already

Corsick

400 is about my limit for buying anything at launch, as I almost always regret not waiting for a revised version of the console. If the next XBOX is 499 and 299 with a sub I'll be in an awkward place in my decision making. Then again I can just wait for a price drop for either console.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Well with the rumor of MS dropping the subsidized pricing for Xbox, the battle just got that much more intense. Even though it is literally impossible it would happen, Sony dropping a Basic PS4 for $349 and a Premium for $449 would be megaton especially if MS is going $399 or lower themselves.

Zaventem

Still think it is to expensive in this day and age where you can get an Ipad for less. But if people are happy with the price more power to them.

Are you seriously comparing an ipad that's used for browsing most of the time to a gaming machine? lol

I'm amazed no one solved console pricing sooner. So simple. Thanks to you, MS and Sony will now easily sell just as many PS4s and XB3s @ $499 as they would have @ $399...

lmao! i know, right! who would have thought that all us westerners needed to do was "think about the purchase and it's value over time" and then it would fix the whole issue of my bank having only enough for a $400 system + game instead of a $500 system + game... thanks be to this kind man for he is the Tony Robbins of this generation and has taught me a valuable lesson on value :)

Taker666

399 euros wouldn't be surprising considering the current exchange rate.

The exchange rate with Japan has improved massively.

When Wii U launched 30,000 Yen was equal to around a 360 euro price including tax. 30,000 yen now converts to around 275 euros including tax.

Something that would have launched last Christmas at 500 euros would only cost 400 euros now based purely on the Yen/euro rate.

It should mean far better launch prices in the US/Europe for PS4 ( and Nintendo could cut 100 euros off the current premium model in the west and barely lose anything).

Top Bottom