• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 basic model for... 399 euros/dollars?

Lucis

lmao! i know, right! who would have thought that all us westerners needed to do was "think about the purchase and it's value over time" and then it would fix the whole issue of my bank having only enough for a $400 system + game instead of a $500 system + game... thanks be to this kind man for he is the Tony Robbins of this generation and has taught me a valuable lesson on value :)

Actually, no, I think borghe and I come from a completely different view point.

Both of us probably understand the NOW argument way better. I would never buy something I can't afford. This goes from small item value like a cup of coffee to big things like a house, but that's out of the scope of this thread.

If a person only has 400$ + a bit for a system plus some games, maybe the 400$ shouldn't be spent on a new console. even if it was only 200$.

If people understand that a game console is a luxury item, then they should understand that they shouldn't spend their last few dollars on it.

This brings back the value argument, what is the value for this? If you go with the value argument, spread it for a few years isn't that absurd as what some of you make it out to be.

Still think it is to expensive in this day and age where you can get an Ipad for less. But if people are happy with the price more power to them.
Maybe an iPad mini. Still, it doesn't make much sense to me that people would be willing to fork over $500+ for an iPad but a $400 video game console is just WAY TO expensive. I guess you could argue that an iPad offers more value, but $400 really isn't that expensive. The Wii U has made some of you far too cynical in regards to price.

Maybe an iPad mini. Still, it doesn't make much sense to me that people would be willing to fork over $500+ for an iPad but a $400 video game console is just WAY TO expensive. I guess you could argue that an iPad offers more value, but $400 really isn't that expensive. The Wii U has made some of you far too cynical in regards to price.

The last iPad replaced the original after 6 months. If you bought a PS3 at the same price, you'd wait 7 years for the new model.

DBT85

It's funny. The Wii U ships with an 8GB SSD... and the PS3 has a model with a 500GB HDD.

The Wii U doesn't have an SSD. SSD and flash storage are not one and the same. My camera uses flash storage, my PC uses an SSD.

The 12GB PS3 and the Wii U have flash storage.

I still remember when the Premium 360 launched at $400 and the UK version was £280. PS3 was $600 = £425 and Wii was $250 = £180

Whatever the US prices of the PS4 and 720 are I'm hoping that Sony and Microsoft are nicer to us UK'ers than Nintendo was with the Wii U. I know a lot of UK prices are set by retailers, but I hope they've learned their lesson with the 3DS, Vita and Wii U slow starts.

HundredProofSam

Neo Member
How did no one take a screengrab? That's Internet 101 these days.

Combine the lack of screengrabs and the fact that the Sony India only ever publishes prices in Indian Rupees, and this looks pretty fake.

Zukuu

Banned
399€ is really a sweet spot for the launch price. Think I'll buy it minute 1 in the night. Not exactly my style (I always wait till a game I'm interested in is released) but I think I'll make an exception.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How did no one take a screengrab? That's Internet 101 these days.

Combine the lack of screengrabs and the fact that the Sony India only ever publishes prices in Indian Rupees, and this looks pretty fake.

Yeah, "A website updated with info only we managed to catch" is the oldest trick in the book.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
All depends on how large those installs are. If possible I plan on putting a 250GB SSD in my PS4, no need for me to have masses of storage.

This is probably a feasible approach now, especially as you will be able to play games as they are downloading so no need to keep them all on a HDD.

I'm a little scared now after seeing PS4's teaser pics and how many different materials go into it. It'll definitely look more high-end than PS3, and I'm wondering if the shell will be expensive too....

Number45

Why is 250GB not enough as a base model? It's enough for a good number of PSN games, more than enough for game saves if you're going physical. I don't see the problem.

Interested to see if the only difference in any SKUs offered is storage capacity. Hopefully it's like the PS3 is now, then I can buy the cheapest model and upgrade the HDD. Camera will surely be a pack in as some of the functionality is supported by the DS4.

EDIT: I'm in a cycle of hype. Hype dies down when I think of my current backlog... then as soon as any new information is released/teased/leaked/faked I'm back on board. Choo choo!

250GB HDD for a new console in 2013? Nope. Nu-uh.

image.php

It's completely fine for an entry level version of a disk based console. And I don't think game installs will be that big, most of the data will probably be video files which stay on the Blu-ray. Still don't like it? Get the premium version or upgrade the hdd.

DBT85

This is probably a feasible approach now, especially as you will be able to play games as they are downloading so no need to keep them all on a HDD.

Also for me as I have decent internet. Even a 20GB download will only take me just over an hour. My brother who is 5 miles away can do it in 25 minutes ><

Most people will probably still go retail-only, so why not?

All depends if every game does an install or not. I think most expect them to, though probably not things like video which can still come off the disk. Devs will probably want as much on the HDD as possible to fill the ram as fast as possible. I think people are expecting to be able to play the game fairly instantly while the system dumps as much as needed from the disk onto the HDD while you play the game.

BD 1x is 36Mbps, the PS3's 2x drive is 72Mbps and I think the PS4 is supposed to have a 6x drive so that's 216Mbps or about 27MB/s. An HDD should be at least double that.

MasLegio

Banned
All depends on how large those installs are. If possible I plan on putting a 250GB SSD in my PS4, no need for me to have masses of storage.

increased focus on DLC and downloadable games that run in 1080p and more detailed textures will eat up that space within a year (or two) and will damage sales of content in the next 6 years

lets not forget video sharing as well, cloud storage will be limited forcing some users to store their (1080p) videos they want to keep locally

increased focus on DLC and downloadable games that run in 1080p and more detailed textures will eat up that space within a year (or two) and will damage sales of content in the next 6 years

Again, you can delete things. I have a friend who really isn't that much into tech stuff at all and even he manages to delete files he doesn't need. People aren't dumb. And I don't think AAA games will be massively over 25GB at the beginning (without video files), and many will be even smaller. So that means you can put ~10+ games on the hdd, at the same time. This is absolutely sufficient for most people. And this version is supposed to be somehow limited, or else people wouldn't want to buy the premium version.

lets not forget video sharing as well, cloud storage will be limited forcing some users to store their (1080p) videos they want to keep locally

They won't be encoded with the same settings like Blu-rays. Just take a look at 1080p videos from youtube, they aren't that big.

coughlanio

I'm interested in which form factor Sony are going with for the HDD.

A 3.5" drive could be a good move, a 2TB drive doesn't cost much more than a 1TB 2.5".

PaulLFC

What's your point?
That electronics that are only renewed every few years can be seen as better value than electronics that are renewed every year by some people who must have the latest and greatest version of products.

Whats your point ? the premium wii u comes with 32GB flash storage whilst the new ps3 has 12 GB flash storage .
Why are you comparing the premium Wii U with the "non premium" new PS3? The "premium" PS3 comes with a 500GB HDD, not 12GB flash.

The "non premium" is 8GB (Wii U) vs 12GB (PS3).

DBT85

Did the small initial size of PS3 and X360 storage options limit sales in the last 2 years? Microsoft made a ton of money on HDDs and Sony just let people do it themselves with simple instructions. Pus people delete things they don't play any more.

Disks are going to be limited to 50GB, and even a game the size of FF13 was actually only 8gb on the PS3. The other 32GB taken up on the BD was just video. We could do with install sizes for games like MEtro 2033 or Farcry 78 on PC, those games will be using assets the same size if not larger than on the new consoles.

I would be surprised if the smallest drive is 250GB, but I don't think it would be a major issue if it was.

It doesn't have a built-in redray player... Is this really a new Playstation console by Sony?

Yeah, Sony should forget their own 4k device and incorporate a competing one that is 1000 euros and only plays content in REDs proprietary format. Baka Sony.

Taker666

I still remember when the Premium 360 launched at $400 and the UK version was £280. PS3 was $600 = £425 and Wii was $250 = £180

Whatever the US prices of the PS4 and 720 are I'm hoping that Sony and Microsoft are nicer to us UK'ers than Nintendo was with the Wii U. I know a lot of UK prices are set by retailers, but I hope they've learned their lesson with the 3DS, Vita and Wii U slow starts.

They will be. The exchange rate alone should allow for a price 20-25% less than it would have been last year.

2012 was pretty much the worst year possible to launch hardware in the west pricing wise.

m0t0k1

$399 is the same as the PS2's 299, adjusted for today's inflation.

You are forgetting something how much europe gets screwed by sony. When the Ps2 launched it was arround 1099 guilders in my country some even sold it arround 1199 which comes down to arround €499 to €550 which was almost as expensive as the ps3 was. but in that time it felt even more expensive because you could get a gamecube way cheaper. I waited for my Ps2 to come down in price to arround €150 before i bought it. So i am kinda sad to see the price of the Ps3 didnt go down as much as the Ps2 hope it will go down once the Ps4 releases because there are still some games i would like to play on it. Also the price of the ps4 is heading in the nice direction but i am just not the guy who jumps aboard a console day 1 I would like it to have some games i would like to play and a nice price. I always buy my consoles under the price of €250, except for when i had an xbox 360 that was the first time i bought it for more and that is the only console who broke down on me. So i learned my lesson.

waypoetic

Banned
I'm not really good at these things, but, 399€ would probably fuck it up for us Scandinavians - it wouldn't convert to say 3700 kronors, instead it would end up costing 4299 kronors.
We've got the fuckers at Nordisk Film to blame for that...

Sounds like an acceptable price.

I think you're overestimating the size of DLC and downloadable games. And the gamesindustry is not (yet) in a fase where the majority of gamers wants do download and buy their 20GB triple AAA digitally. I'd rather invest my money in a 120GB SSD than a bigger HDD.

MasLegio

Banned
I'm not really good at these things, but, 399&#8364; would probably fuck it up for us Scandinavians - it wouldn't convert to say 3700 kronors, instead it would end up costing 4299 kronors.
We've got the fuckers at Nordisk Film to blame for that...

more like 4495 SEK

I will probably buy from SimplyGames. Might take a few days longer but I would be able to get a game or two for what the PS4 alone would have cost in Sweden.

they need the margin to pay for their lavish console release parties

1769885_85.jpg

Not really. The Wii U uses shitty flash memory that doesn't have the same kind of speeds as a real SSD.

It is far away from "shitty" and sure as death faster than every HDD the PS4 could contain.

And you can easily extend the disc space of the Wii U with USB-Sticks or USB-HDDs. I fear that the PS4 will use a proprietary format like the Vita and can not be easily expanded.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
It is far away from "shitty" and sure as death faster than every HDD the PS4 could contain.

And you can easily extend the disc space of the Wii U with USB-Sticks or USB-HDDs. I fear that the PS4 will use a proprietary format like the Vita and can not be easily expanded.

Yeah, just like the PS3........

Top Bottom