• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 basic model for... 399 euros/dollars?

a basic model with a smaller drive and lack of move/eye features sounds great

That sounds terrible and I hope it doesn't happen. The whole point of including the PSEye and Move with each console/unit sold is so that developers can invest in new ways to use these features, knowing EVERY owner will have them. If Sony releases a bundle without them, they might as well have just thrown away that R&D...

That sounds terrible and I hope it doesn't happen. The whole point of including the PSEye and Move with each console/unit sold is so that developers can invest in new ways to use these features, knowing EVERY owner will have them. If Sony releases a bundle without them, they might as well have just thrown away that R&D...
No, I want Sony to invest every dollar/euro they can spare into performance to futureproof the hardware and make the next-gen leap as big as possible.
There's no point in equipping every PS4 with expensive technology if only a few users/developers actually want to use in their games. Look at the 'mandatory kinect' backlash.

PSEye and move don't belong in 'basic model' and should be sold as separate peripherals or bundled with casual games.

DBT85

M°°nblade;58312422 said:
No, I want Sony to invest every dollar/euro they can spare into performance to futureproof the hardware as much as possible.
There's no point in equiping every PS4 with expensive technology if only a few users/developers actually want to use in their games. Look at the 'mandatory kinect' backlash.
PSEye and move don't belong in 'basic model' and should be sold as separate peripherals or bundled with casual games.

Mandatory and included in every box are not the same beast. Mandatory means you have to have it plugged in, included in every box means every dev knows that every PS4 owner will have the camera for a multitude of uses.

It's 2 cameras and probably 4 mics, this isn't expensive kit.

I doubt move will be included in the main bundles, but I'm fairly certain that the PS Eye will be.

waypoetic

Banned
400 euros console... controller + game... 520... thats is very much..

Oh wow, you've never bought a console have you? There's always a controller in the box!

I think what Beetleking11 means is it is pretty common to buy a controller or two plus a game or two when you purchase a new console. Shit adds up.

I've never did this. When i bought the PS3 i got a game for free (some deal they had going at the time) and i didn't bother with buying a second controller.

Alpende

399 Euros = 512.9145 U.S. dollars, Not sure what kind of conversion rate they will use though.

It usually is 400 dollars = 400 euros. With everything and the EU always gets screwed because of that bullshit conversion.

But I think I'd buy one on day one if the thing was 400 euros. That's quite affordable and if they pack in a game with it, it's even better.

Mandatory and included in every box are not the same beast. Mandatory means you have to have it plugged in, included in every box means every dev knows that every PS4 owner will have the camera for a multitude of uses.

It's 2 cameras and probably 4 mics, this isn't expensive kit.
Multitude of uses for what and would people care about this? I think not and equipping every PS4 with a webcam will not change that. Including sixaxis in every controller also didn't change people's attitude towards it's use. PSEye might be inexpensive but it still costs money. It would be far more valuable to invest money to enhance existing feature you know gamers actually do care about. Like multiplayer. Including a headset in every box instead of a webcam would definitely make a lot more gamers happy.

Zukuu

Banned
It usually is 400 dollars = 400 euros. With everything and the EU always gets screwed because of that bullshit conversion.

But I think I'd buy one on day one if the thing was 400 euros. That's quite affordable and if they pack in a game with it, it's even better.

Tho, 399€ includes tax already. Not so in america I think.

DBT85

M°°nblade;58314068 said:
Multitude of uses for what and would people care about this? I think not and equipping every PS4 with a webcam will not change that. Including sixaxis in every controller also didn't change people's attitude towards it's use. PSEye might be inexpensive but it still costs money. It would be far more valuable to invest money to enhance existing feature you know gamers actually do care about. Like multiplayer. Including a headset in every box instead of a webcam would definitely make a lot more gamers happy.

Anyone who has used a Track IR system will be able to tell you how useful it can be in racing or flying games, Sony also want to push things like wonderbook despite the GAF hate and if everyone already has the camera that makes it easier for them.

Despite sixaxis not being used much since it's inclusion, they are still including it in the Vita and the PS4, so clearly they do things that THEY want to do.

There is already a headset in every box anyway and for the extra few $ they can drop the new PS eye in there. You'll be able to see your mates reaction when you teabag him, you'll be able to rotate your head a few degrees to get a better view of the apex in Drive Club. You don;t want it? Don't plug it in. I don't want the headset, or the HDMI cable, or whatever HDD it comes with.

You say that they should spend it on something "gamers" care about, but you can't possibly pin it down to something that simple. I don't really give a fuck about multiplayer, other gamers only want multiplayer, other gamers only want teh preeety grawfix, others tell you it isn't about the graphics at all, other gamers want to do all kinds of shit. If you include all of the Wii owners in the "gamers" moniker then a whole bunch of folk want to weigh ourselves on our console and play a shit bowling game with inaccurate controls.

SONY wants to get parents and young kids doing Move based shit, whether that is with a Move or without one, on the PS4. The very best way of doing that is to include the camera in the box from the start because it means every single person will have one.

The more people that buy the PS4 the better for "gamers", because Sony will get more money in from the shit you don't want to play by selling games that are much cheaper to make to millions of parents and children and then they can blow that cash on things "gamers" want like Journey and COD 75 exclusive DLC and the Pub Fund and so on.

sullytao

If Sony can give me a unit with the basics for £300 I would probably choose them at launch this year (Providing they launch in UK this year lol). I don't mind if they don't give me the camera and Move controller, aslong as most games don't require it.

coldfoot

Banned
Unless they have a separate PS+ for PS4 that starts giving out free PS4 games on day one, I'm postponing my PS4 purchase since GT6 is coming out.

Anyone who has used a Track IR system will be able to tell you how useful it can be in racing or flying games, Sony also want to push things like wonderbook despite the GAF hate and if everyone already has the camera that makes it easier for them.
A steering wheel is also very useful in racing games. And what about an arcade stick for fighting games? Are a keyboard for MMO's? Should sony include them in every box as well?
Bundling peripherals to lower the stresshold to drive the sales of a special application is not a good idea because:
1. You don't know if there will be significant higher demand for wonderbook that ensures the return of that investment.
2. If wonderbook can't sell a €60 move controller, it's not going to sell a €399 console either

If something doesn't sell, then it just doesn't sell. If it's something people really want, they'll buy it regardless of the extra peripheral costs (Wiifit, Guitar hero, Eyetoy, Singstar).

There is already a headset in every box anyway and for the extra few $ they can drop the new PS eye in there. You'll be able to see your mates reaction when you teabag him, you'll be able to rotate your head a few degrees to get a better view of the apex in Drive Club. You don;t want it? Don't plug it in. I don't want the headset, or the HDMI cable, or whatever HDD it comes with.
Again, it's not about what you or I want, it's about what the mayority wants. If Sony choses to invest money into peripherals or features only a small minority wants, they may have missed the opportunity to invest that money into something better (that appeals to a wider group of people) because there's not enough budget left. The thing about money is, once you've spend it, it's gone.

You say that they should spend it on something "gamers" care about, but you can't possibly pin it down to something that simple.
Yes you can. If you drop all anekdotes and personal preferences, it's perfectly possible to scetch a generic profile of the "gamer" you want to target and create a product according to their 'basic' needs.

SONY wants to get parents and young kids doing Move based shit, whether it is with a Move or without one, on the PS4. The very best way of doing that is to include the camera in the box from the start because it means every single person will have one.
Troyan horsing the PS4 with every possible feature is exactly what brought Sony's games division in the financial mess. The concept of a 'basic' model is that it should be barebone and not include every optional peripheral that isn't percieved to be part of traditional gaming (aka 'basic') in order to appeal to everybody out there on day one. The PS4 doesn't need to appeal to everybody on day one.
You are right that Sony does want to get parents and young children to buy a Sony gaming system, but you fail to understand that the PS4, within it's first years, is primary designed for enthousiast gamers who want to spend €399 on new technology and not a bunch of peripherals. That's the target, those people will be the early adopters.
Sony already has a €199 PS3 they can bundle with whatever peripheral you like or a Vita for the younger, casual audiences you have in mind.

£399 with no games is right at the limit for me (only £25 cheaper than the PS3 at launch).

£299 would be ideal, but i'm expecting it to hit around £349

a basic model with a smaller drive and lack of move/eye features sounds great

Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Rupees.jpg

This actually works in more ways than one in this case :p

Top Bottom