• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 BETA firmware 5.00 out today

I mean, it's nice that I can change notifications back to black and disable them during videos, and I suppose the Quick Menu additions are nice, but, man... these really feel like .5 improvements. If they rolled out regular updates like Microsoft, it'd be one thing, but there are only two major updates per year. And even then only one of those a year is a full new version number.

Betas have region locks?
Not really. If you have US PS4, but have an EU account you can redeem the code on there and use the beta on any account on your system. It works the other way too.

Anyway, grab an EU code - TPKK F3N2 G23A
Redeem the code, then go to settings/system software update to install.

Once installed don't forget to enable super sampling for Pro users and then don't take my name when changing your PSN ID. /s

Mr Moose

I don't know if it's the classical database rebuild shenanigan, but the UI feels very snappy on my end, noticeably faster than before. I can browse my sort-of-big folders without any hitching. The quick menu opens up fast too.

Was about to say the same thing. Everything seems really fast.

Interesting that they are including extra codes this time.

Might as well share the love and post them here for people. EU codes, quote to reveal.

Audioboxer

Finally accepted into a beta for testing FW and it's a meh update. Still, I'll use up the code and join 5.0 master race.

Sony saw the GAF boost mode beta sharing topic and gave us a bone this time lol

If you know anyone who'd also like to take part in this Beta Trial, we're offering two additional voucher codes you can share with friends – letting you try out all the new features together.

How do you do quote to reveal sharing so as I can give my two codes to GAFers?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I didn't even know PS4 had a tournament feature, that's been really under the radar.

For that tournament thing, can you set one up yourself or is a Sony thing?

It's been way underutilized. It should have an API that lets you create a tournament ad hoc. Sort of like Driveclub's challenge mode where you set parameters, goals and share the challenge which is timed for your friends. I can see it really taking off and creating a ton of social/viral interactions.

Glad they brought back the black colour for notifications. I hope they bring more colors in the full update.

Btw can we expect more important features in the full update? Wasn't Boost Mode kept secret even for the 4.50 Beta until the full update came in?

Boost mode was in the beta but wasnt
Mentioned in official notes

So get hunting people!! Whats new!

Tempted to join to try out the 60fps twitch streaming, but I'm actually using remote play lately and I don't want to lose it until the official 5.00 release.

GazzaGSi

I just want to change the colour of the folder backgrounds so they can match the wallpapers I use rather than that default blue lol

are there complicated features that cant really be tested in this type of beta environment(beta/standard users on the same network)?

name changes seem like a feature that needs to be a network wide update with no variation in version numbers.

BigEmil

Full patch notes:

Important notices for version 5.00 beta users

To help us improve the quality of the system software, please provide feedback on any issues you encounter while playing games and using new features for version 5.00 beta. Please follow the instructions in the invitation for the version 5.00 beta testing program to submit your feedback
Should unexpected issues occur when using version 5.00 beta, it is possible to downgrade your system software to the latest version of the official release. It is recommended that you back up your important data before installing version 5.00 beta so that you can return your system to the state prior to the installation.

Main features in version 5.00 beta update

You can now add users of your PS4 as family members. This makes it easy to manage your child's account information and to restrict PS4 features. To add family members, select (Settings) > [Parental Controls/Family Management].
As the family manager, you can set up your family. Up to seven family members (including you) can be in your family and use online features. Multiple adults can be in your family. The family manager can make other adults in the family parents or guardians. The family manager and family members who are parents or guardians can adjust parental controls for the children in your family. You can configure parental control settings for each child. Using parental controls, you can restrict use of online features and communication with other players, set restrictions for games, restrict use of the Internet browser, and set spending limits for PlayStation Store.
(Custom Lists) has been added to (Friends). Create custom lists to easily organize your Friends and choose players to send messages or game invitations to.
For certain broadcasts, (Communities) now appears on the (Live from PlayStation) viewing screen. To access the broadcaster's community, select (Communities).
You can now view (Notifications) on the quick menu.
The following languages have been added as system languages.
Czech, Indonesian, Hungarian, Romanian, Vietnamese, Greek, Thai
When broadcasting PlayStation VR gameplay, you can now see spectator comments on your VR headset screen.

Other features in version 5.00 beta

For (Messages), screen layout has been improved, and the following features have been added.
You can now receive music that has been shared with you as a message. Select the message to play the music.
The following features have been added to the quick menu.
You can now select [Leave This Party] to leave the party
You can now see albums and playlists for songs playing in Spotify.
A clock has been added.
The following features have been added to (Settings) > [Notifications].
You can now disable pop-up notifications during video playback.
You can now choose the color of pop-up notifications.
You can now choose to show or hide message details in notifications.
You can now choose to broadcast in 1080p (60 fps) when using Twitch on your PlayStation 4 Pro.
You can now enjoy Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD content in virtual surround sound when you connect headphones to PlayStation VR.

System software limitations of the 5.00 beta

Read the following limitations carefully before using the beta.

Families

The families feature is available only on PS4s with the 5.00 beta installed. During the beta, PCs and smartphones are not supported, and family-related support emails will not be sent.
There are multiple ways to add family members to your family, but as of the 5.00 beta, you cannot add them via their sign-in IDs. Use a different method to add family members.
When you try to add a family member, a family request will be sent to that person's Sony Entertainment Network account. During the 5.00 beta, family requests can be received only on PS4s with the 5.00 beta installed. Once that person approves the family request, they become one of your family members.
If you are in the United States or Canada, the first time you try to add a family member, a $0.50 charge is necessary to verify that you are an adult. During the charge process, if you don't have a valid credit card registered, you'll be asked to register one, but after you do, you won't automatically return to the charge screen. Press the cancel button to manually return to the charge screen.
Broadcasts

Niconico Live broadcasts cannot be viewed on PS4s that have the system software version 5.00 beta installed.
Niconico Live broadcasts streamed from PS4s that have system software version 5.00 beta installed cannot be viewed on other PS4s. To view the broadcasts, use a PC or a smartphone.
Share Play

This feature can be used only with other 5.00 beta users.
Activities

Activity types that are new to the 5.00 beta are displayed only on the beta. These activity types are not displayed on PS4 systems with other system software versions, or on PlayStation App.

System software limitations after downgrading from the 5.00 beta

Read the following limitations carefully before downgrading the PS4.

The content order on the home screen is initialized.
Download links on the home screen (such as for SHAREfactory or Media Player) that you deleted are displayed again.
Some items in [Notifications] are deleted.
Some items in [Discover] that had already been displayed are displayed again.
Activities created during use of the 5.00 beta and some settings are stored on the PlayStation Network server. Notifications related to these activities and settings might be sent even after downgrading to the official release.
After downgrading from the system software beta, some games will not work correctly. If you encounter this issue, delete the game, and then install it again.

Service and repairs while using the 5.00 beta

If your PS4 is in need of service, downgrade it to the latest official release of the system software before requesting service.
If you are unable to downgrade your PS4 to the latest official release of the system software and you request service, your PS4 might be downgraded to the latest official release during the servicing process.

kiguel182

I just want to change the colour of the folder backgrounds so they can match the wallpapers I use rather than that default blue lol

In general the application of themes is really lacking.

I haven't used one since they don't change some parts of the UI and it's just a mess visually.

Think I've noticed a bug.

My PS4 doesn't see my extended storage in any of the options it normally shows up in settings.

The games still work though.

J 0 E

Nothing major as expected

The PS4 OS is in a great place with almost all the basic features already available, these QoL features are welcome.

"If you are in the United States or Canada, the first time you try to add a family member, a $0.50 charge is necessary to verify that you are an adult."

LOL!!!!

"A clock has been added."

MEGATON!!!!!!

The007JiM

fY3ZVlC_d.jpg

So... what's the point of mandatory PS Now in the beta registration? lol

Gator86

PS4 OS is terrific right now but there's still stuff they could do. This update is dogshit. Downsampling and BC when?

NeatoKuni

Can someone PM a US code? I normally get in every time but I didn't for some reason. I'm at work for a few more hours so I can't get enough time to snag a quoted one. I appreciate it in advance! 💪🏻💕

wvnative

Can someone PM a US code? I normally get in every time but I didn't for some reason. I'm at work for a few more hours so I can't get enough time to snag a quoted one. I appreciate it in advance! 💪🏻💕

They ain't sent em out yet.

I'm pleased with the idea of being able to see the twitch chat during psvr streaming and the surround sound audio update for movies is good - have never watched one through the vr so far so didn't realise surround sound wasn't a thing

Happy with those changes

Top Bottom