• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 BETA firmware 5.00 out today

Damn you guys are a tough crowd. Plenty of QOL updates and major stuff for families.

Maybe when Sony announces that 6.0 will update the ps4 to play xbox, xbox 360, xbox 1, ps1, ps2, ps3, psp, psvita, nes, snes, n64, 3ds, 2ds, atari, genesis, neogeo, turbografx 16, Tandy 1000, apple, commodore 64 mobile games, and stability then everyone will be happy...

cakely

I'm disappointed with no global downsampling but i actually like some of the little features that made it in.

Whoever mentioned the quick menu clock a few days ago ... that's hilarious.

Plum

Sony

Listen to me here

Why is there still no way to turn off a game's Pro support?

Games like DaS3, FFXV and (IIRC) Stardew Valley are worse on the Pro with no way to turn their botched support off. This isn't a want, it's a need that should be incredibly simple to implement considering the way the PS4 Pro hardware seperates itself. It's ridiculous that something that should have been there on Day One is still not there. The PS4 Pro will always feel unfinished to me until the user is given a choice in whether they want to use the Pro Patch for a specific game or not.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Two EU codes:
QR9D P5ND N8RT
N2PJ CFNT A9MG
Thank you, used the first one.

Will test tonight.

Edit, the email from Sony ended up in my promotion box on GMAIL so I got in anyway.

UK Codes here:

A code for a friend:
K933 ELNT NQG3

A code for another friend:
2T95 N4ND GE95

Vashetti

Banned
This legendary guy. Remember?
RC2er4y.png

Please stop giving him attention.

Gator86

Damn you guys are a tough crowd. Plenty of QOL updates and major stuff for families.

Maybe when Sony announces that 6.0 will update the ps4 to play xbox, xbox 360, xbox 1, ps1, ps2, ps3, psp, psvita, nes, snes, n64, 3ds, 2ds, atari, genesis, neogeo, turbografx 16, Tandy 1000, apple, commodore 64 mobile games, and stability then everyone will be happy...

This update is basically just the option to change notification colors for me.

MattAces

Sony

Listen to me here

Why is there still no way to turn off a game's Pro support?

Games like DaS3, FFXV and (IIRC) Stardew Valley are worse on the Pro with no way to turn their botched support off. This isn't a want, it's a need that should be incredibly simple to implement considering the way the PS4 Pro hardware seperates itself. It's ridiculous that something that should have been there on Day One is still not there. The PS4 Pro will always feel unfinished to me until the user is given a choice in whether they want to use the Pro Patch for a specific game or not.

They've added locked 30fps for lite mode, didn't they? *FFXV

Someone should make a compilation of all the disappointed posts and post it on Sony/Playstation's Twitter.

And to those asking about US codes, they most likely haven't gone out yet.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sigh, so now I've gotta download another goddamn update before I can use Netflix again?

That's literally all these updates are at this point.

Kaversmed

Anyone have a spare EU code? I seem to be too late for the ones already posted in this thread :( Sad.

Edit: Got one. Don't PM me a code :)

gblues

Banned
It's no PS1 Classic support, but I'm actually pretty stoked about the parental controls changes. Shit's been broke since the PS3--couldn't impose ratings limits on my son without imposing them on myself simultaneously.

KyleCross

Dude, it's a nothing update. Just look at what we got with the last major update.

We’ve added a new setting that allows you to disable pop-up notifications while you’re watching a movie or TV show on your PS4. This setting is off by default, so go to Settings > Notifications to disable notifications and go uninterrupted during your videos.
This was a long time coming but I'm thankful. Other than that, not much here. Sony I am disappoint.

Gamers ask for:

PSN Name change
A backwards compatibility solution for at least some of their older platforms
System-wide downsampling
Consistent download speeds

Sony delivers:

Updated parental controls
Hey would you like your notification pop up to be black or white?

The best firmware so far (at leats for me) was 4.5 with its boost mode.
If one day any update would bring : ID changes/ PS1 support/retrocompatibility/ UHD Bluray disk reading
then I would call the new update another best update.

Vashetti

Banned
Sigh, so now I've gotta download another goddamn update before I can use Netflix again?

That's literally all these updates are at this point.

*signs up for beta firmware testing*
*complains about having to download it*

Are 4k/uhd discs a hardware or firmware update problem?

Hardware.

The drive they're using is identical to the one in OG PS4 which they state is not updateable to support UHD discs.

i feel like we are moving into firmware upgrades becoming only performance stability updates.

i wonder if the team is moving on to PS5 UI now

I was really hoping for something more substantial. Honestly, if it wasn't for Sonys vastly superior library of games, I'd jump to Xbox. Sony is lucky to have such talented studios.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I was really hoping for something more substantial. Honestly, if it wasn't for Sonys vastly superior library of games, I'd jump to Xbox. Sony is lucky to have such talented studios.

This is absolutely bizarre. Having less to update means most/many of the highly sought after features are already implemented. People treat fw upgrades like they should have Die Hard esque-action trailers.

I'm not saying there's nothing left to improve, but man.

I notice that the friends list now has two icons for offline friends: The old red circle one and a new rectangle (phone?) one. I'm guessing that the new one is 'offline but can get notifications via phone app' or something?

Sorry if this is old, but I couldn't find anything with a cursory search.

Edit: confirmed old. Sorry.

Top Bottom