• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 finally has the library strength I always hoped for it

Haines

Banned
Consoles are usually great mid cycle.

Most kinks have been worked out. Missing features added and games start hitting the systems potential more often.

I generally get every system at launch. And about this time I get fucking swamped.

GHG

Has a great lineup, but that controller... can't stand it.

Yeh ive been through about 10 controllers because my he-man hands are too much for those puny controllers.

But in all seriousness, Nioh, bloodborne and the fact that it's by far and away the best place to play PES have made it worth it alone. Q1 this year is absurd.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yep there's even an overload right now. Just about done with RE7, then I'm moving on to Nioh or For Honor. Sucks that Horizon launches at the same time Zelda does, I'll have to catch up on that one later. PS4's line-up and library has definitely come into its own. I would easily recommend one now to anyone.

sn00zer

There are actually plenty of mid-tier games, you're just not looking hard enough :p

I can recommend Dragon Quest Builders, very fun and you can play it in short bursts if you want. Nioh is another that you don't need to play for hours on end at a time. I'm sure others can recommend more good mid-tier games.
Not a fan of either of those games, but yeah can't argue with that. Hopin Nier will help

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I have been super satisfied since launch. But i use it for exclusives and multiplatforms, since it performs the best of the consoles. I can barely hold my head above water keeping up with all the games.

I haven't even bought any new games from this year due to my crazy backlog from last year. I only finished doom last weekend...My FF15 and last guardian is still wrapped and I barely finished many of my psvr games yet.

I need more than 24 hours per day.

onQ123

It has only been out 3 years so you didn't have to wait too long for it to have the library you hoped for.

But yes PS4 is the SNES/PS1/PS2 of this era

Needs a Demon Soul Remastered and/or Bloodborne II.

A Demon's Souls remaster and a Dark Souls 1 remaster puts PS4 into my favorite systems of all time list. You give me a sequel to Bloodborne (or a new FROM IP in the style of Souls) and it might end up as #2 (the NES will never be topped for me).

MCD250

When would you guys say the console started "coming into its own" in terms of games lineup and release schedule? I bought mine in early 2014 (eventually traded it for a Pro) but I was still alternating pretty consistently between it and the PS3 until near the end of that year, when some of the bigger AAA games like Destiny, Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age started coming out and I suddenly didn't have enough time to play anything but PS4 games. From there it was a smooth transition into early 2015 which also saw the release of some pretty notable games and the rest is history.

So I see a lot of people happy that there are a lot of ps4 exclusives, but I'm curious, do the games have to be exclusive to be worth it to you? Does having something that other platforms can't have just make you fell better?

So I understand why exclusIves exist and I'm not going to complain about that, but at the end of the day I just see it as less choice for the consumer.

Endo Punk

Honestly, I was fulfilled when Bloodborne released, everything else is just icing. Yakuza 0 and Let it Die have put my PS4 to really good use as of late.

BumRush

Yup. It's had great games but H1 2017 pushed it over the edge

So I see a lot of people happy that there are a lot of ps4 exclusives, but I'm curious, do the games have to be exclusive to be worth it to you? Does having something that other platforms can't have just make you fell better?

So I understand why exclusIves exist and I'm not going to complain about that, but at the end of the day I just see it as less choice for the consumer.

For me, no, I love when more people can play games. But I barely have time for one console, so it's exciting that the games I want are out for the one I own.

Syril

Well for me it's not that so much as if it's on something I have already then it's not much of a selling point.

Crayon

It has recently crossed over to a point where I can recommend it without reservation to my less informed friends.

I've actually been enjoying mine immensely since launch and I own a gaming PC. The number of games being released this year is staggering though and I'm finding it hard to keep up with the awesome titles being released. It's an amazing time to be a PS4 owner.

Suzzopher

Once WipEout hits it'll be my favourite PlayStation (thus ousting PS1 as my favourite console), such a diverse and wonderful library.

jayu26

It's PlayStation. They always get there after slow start. Usually end up with the biggest most varied library in the generation.

Chrisdk

The japanese games have been coming in great lately, but personally the western exclusives have been a bit worse than expected. I have had more fun with the Xbox exclusive western games this gen up until now. The western output from Sony have underwhelmed me, even Uncharted 4 (and i'm an Uncharted fan).

I'm looking forward to Horizon and the Spiderman game, but the japanese games are what i'm mostly using my PS4 for.

Brix

Amazing console with a great exclusive catalog indeed. And it'll only get better as this generation continues.

On another forum I made a similae thread about PS3 entitled "PS3 is finally starting to feel like PlayStation again" I make enough pro Sony threads on GAF though so decided against doing it for PS4 on GAF. But yeah Lamp, 100% agreed, I haven't been able to keep up with all the quality games that's released since mid 2016. Along with the games you mentioned, I have a bag log of stuff like Disgaea 5, Grand Kingdom, FF & KH remakes, Yakuza 0, MGSV, Witcher 3, Thumper, hyper light drifter, Rez, Bound, RE7, Dragon Quest Builders & Heroes, Etc...

It's just starting to feel like the movies now, I know there's always something awesome just waiting for me to play.

Yea I got an XB1S over Xmas but I ended up giving in and picking up the Pro (399 for Rise of Tomb Raider + Deus Ex MD + Pro) on ebay like 2 weeks ago.

XB1 is really nice and fun (I use BC a lot and I love the exclusives), but it can't hold a candle to PS4.

Harmen

Yes, I think the library is growing to be something special (including some of the fantastic multiplats this gen). For me, at least.

My absolute favourites are:
-Uncharted 4
-Yakuza 0
-Until Dawn
-Bloodborne (+Old Hunters)

The ones I really enjoyed:
-Driveclub (+season pass)
-Ratchet and Clank
-Infamous Second Son (+ First Light)

Even the not so well received games like the Order and Knack were pretty fun for a low price. And I have yet to play Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian. Some of the remasters are ace as well (especially the ND games).

Anyways, hyped for: Yakuza Kimawi, Yakuza 6, Spider-Man, Detroid, and God of War. Interested in: Days Gone, Horizon, NiOh, and Dreams.

Philippo

I think for me it has been since Spring 2015, but it became outstanding since Spring 2016, and now this wave of great japanese games (FFXV, TLG, GR2, Y0, Nioh, NieR, P5) is making it one of the best ever.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Now if Sony would only fix the performance of the OS - it's trashy.

Also, allow use of a PS3 controller on the system.

The DualShock 3 was perfect
The PS4 controller is an abomination

kennyamr

Well, I can say for sure that 2017 is a hell of a year for PlayStation.

I'm having a blast playing so many great games, and it's only February! It's incredible.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
An intimidating line-up ahead too:

Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, God of War, Detroit, GT Sports, Dreams, WiLD, The Lost Legacy, The Last of Us II - they just keep hammering them out.

Only five of those will drop this year, but still, that's a lot of first party AAA in a single year.

Can't complain. Each year has been better than the previous year so far, it has one of my favorite games of all time (Bloodborne: The Old Hunters edition) and Sony's Western AAA games are becoming more interesting to me too (mostly Horizon and Spider-Man).

If you enjoy Sony's exclusive titles and anime styled titles, then yeah, the PS4's library is exemplary.

Personally, I don't really enjoy any of Sony's exclusives anymore. While they we are all certainly experiences, I play games to have fun. I don't have fun playing Sony's exclusives anymore. There's no enjoyment for me there. As of such, I traded in my PS4 when I preordered my Switch; and I don't think I'll be rejoining Sony's ecosystem again in the future. I think I can be perfectly happy being a Nintendo and Microsoft gamer from now on.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Now if Sony would only fix the performance of the OS - it's trashy.

Also, allow use of a PS3 controller on the system.

The DualShock 3 was perfect
The PS4 controller is an abomination

Are you sure you're talking about the PS4, dude?

The PS4 OS is the fastest of the three and the controller is lightyears ahead of the DS3. What are you smoking?

KZObsessed

You can always trust Playstation to have a large varied line up. It's a staple of the brand.

I do think once all the games that are annouced come out, FFVII remake, KH3 for example, it'll be one of the best systems ever.

Yep it's soon going to have pretty much everything. If games like Horizon and Nier can deliver like they should I'd expect the PS4 to continue selling insane numbers.

We'll have to see what's coming in the summer months but the year overall sounds like it'll be one of the best ever for games.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm happier with the the PS4's library than I was with the PS3 at the same point in time. Maybe because with its lead over Xbox One, there's a lot more exclusive content for it.

Said it before, I'll say it again. The exclusive lineup the PS4 is boasting is legitimately making me regret buying an Xbox more and more with every new release.

What's stopping you from going ahead and getting a PS4?

If you enjoy Sony's exclusive titles and anime styled titles, then yeah, the PS4's library is exemplary.

Personally, I don't really enjoy any of Sony's exclusives anymore. While they we are all certainly experiences, I play games to have fun. I don't have fun playing Sony's exclusives anymore. There's no enjoyment for me there. As of such, I traded in my PS4 when I preordered my Switch; and I don't think I'll be rejoining Sony's ecosystem again in the future. I think I can be perfectly happy being a Nintendo and Microsoft gamer from now on.

Very broad criticism you've applied here, PS4 exclusives 'aren't fun'? I don't think I've had more 'fun' than with Bloodborne this generation personally.

Top Bottom