• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 finally has the library strength I always hoped for it

Yeah but games like Until Dawn, Sunset Over Drive..etc. Are left off the other list. Still don't see last gen being better. More games released due to development time and costs maybe but quality? Very debatable.

Ehhh I think you would be thoroughly in the minority with the viewpoint that PS3/X360 didn't introduce many more high quality new IP than PS4/XB1. Oh well.

Yeah but games like Until Dawn, Sunset Over Drive..etc. Are left off the other list. Still don't see last gen being better. More games released due to development time and costs maybe but quality? Very debatable.

In terms of new IP, last gen was too nice to me at least. PS3 along with 360 had quality libraries. Way too many great games, sequels or otherwise.

gfxtwin

Yep, I have a souped up PC and the only game I've played on it since November is Resident Evil 7 (runs best on PC and I can't afford PS VR).

The PS4 is in its stride right now - Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 4, Rez: Infinite, The Last Guardian, Yakuza 0, NiOh, Horizon, etc. And later we're still getting Nier, Ni No Kuni 2, Yakuza remake, Yakuza 6, Kingdom Hearts 3, Persona 5, FFVII remake, Days Gone, Dad of War, The Last of Us 2, Dreams, Death Stranding, Spider-Man and more.

Not only are all of these exclusive to PS4, they're just the ones that have been announced so far that I can recall (there are and probably will be quite a few more).

It already feels like the PS4 is living up to its' potential IMO - so many fantastic games already and if the upcoming ones live up to expectations, that's definitely a gen's worth of quality exclusives.

I'm right on the edge of buying a PS4 at the moment - almost bought one today, but was sick (a sign?).

It will always be a 'second console' to me, and maybe a third choice gaming machine behind Xbox and PC, but the $250 deal with Uncharted 4 is peaking my interest (no interest in a Pro).

My problem is I don't really like Japanese games much. I hear Bloodborne and switch off. Same with Nioh and the like. I managed about 30 minutes of Persona 4 on Vita.

I am interested in the likes of Until Dawn, God of War, Detroit, Spider-man though... And maybe Horizon, although videos of that make it look really annoying to actually play. I'd say on exclusives I actually want to play Xbox still has an edge (just for me personally).

Yep, I have a souped up PC and the only game I've played on it since November is Resident Evil 7 (runs best on PC and I can't afford PS VR).

The PS4 is in its stride right now - Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 4, Rez: Infinite, The Last Guardian, Yakuza 0, NiOh, Horizon, etc. And later we're still getting Nier, Ni No Kuni 2, Yakuza remake, Yakuza 6, Kingdom Hearts 3, Persona 5, FFVII remake, Days Gone, Dad of War, The Last of Us 2, Dreams, Death Stranding, Spider-Man and more.

Not only are all of these exclusive to PS4, they're just the ones that have been announced so far that I can recall (there are and probably will be quite a few more).

It already feels like the PS4 is living up to its' potential IMO - so many fantastic games already and if the upcoming ones live up to expectations, that's definitely a gen's worth of quality exclusives.

Totally. Lots of fantastic games coming out on PS4.

I'm right on the edge of buying a PS4 at the moment - almost bought one today, but was sick (a sign?).

It will always be a 'second console' to me, and maybe a third choice gaming machine behind Xbox and PC, but the $250 deal with Uncharted 4 is peaking my interest (no interest in a Pro).

My problem is I don't really like Japanese games much. I hear Bloodborne and switch off. Same with Nioh and the like. I managed about 30 minutes of Persona 4 on Vita.

I am interested in the likes of Until Dawn, God of War, Detroit, Spider-man though... And maybe Horizon, although videos of that make it look really annoying to actually play. I'd say on exclusives I actually want to play Xbox still has an edge (just for me personally).

From all accounts, Horizon is a blast to play.

Also, you should consider Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4, Infamous SS, Resogun, and The Last of Us Remastered.

OldMan

Banned
Yeah and we haven't even hit the current gen exclusive sequels yet like Killzone Shadowfall 2, Knack 2, LBP4 yet etc. with GT and God of War still looking to make its debut.

Last gen definitely introduced more high quality new IP's but this gen still has several years left in it, they will come. Difference is that last gen they happened earlier on and were able to get multiple sequels in before the end of the generation

From all accounts, Horizon is a blast to play.

Also, you should consider Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4, Infamous SS, Resogun, and The Last of Us Remastered.

I'm on the fence on Horizon - will wait until the launch hype dies down to see what people really think (burned by The Division hype lol).

If I do get a PS4 I'll get Uncharted 4 with it I think, but I think the series is massively overrated - never played three but did complete the first two. Already played the original Ratchet & Clank, but do love that series - definitely pick that up cheap. Last of Us is a definite - I bought that on PS3 but never got around to playing it (that and Ni No Kuni which defies my dislike for Japanese games - at least I think it will if I ever get to play it!).

Resogun is really not my type of thing - never enjoyed a Housemarque game going all the way back to Stardust on the Amiga!

Thanks for the suggestions though! I think you may have convinced me to hit up Best Buy tomorrow!

I'm enjoying reading the last gen vs current gen IP... argument going on here with YVR Gamer and the rest...

I think it's a good debate and there's no clear answer.

Here is my "non list" version of the argument..

The reason I think last gen may have gotten quite a few good IPs over this gen is mostly due to the major shift and advancements in technology performance and graphics.

Massive games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1 & 2 or even AC2 etc. couldn't have been done on a PS2.. thus the PS360 not only "unlocked" the potential to make bigger games, it gave game developers a reason to come up with bigger, better open world IPs.

Basically the PS360 were one step closer to bridge PC gaming with console games, thus, developers really wanted to push the limitation of these consoles with any game they could port from the PC over etc. (hence why lots of these games ran poorly on the PS3) I mean they were "doable" but experience drastically varied... regardless they were new and very impactful IPs for these consoles, that could no way be technically achieved with previous consoles.

Enter this gen and there really isn't much more we can achieve technically from last gen except prettier graphics, higher resolutions and frame rate. What I love about this gen is it's the generation that forces the developers to focus on gameplay and creativity in their new IPs... Having said that, the industry has kind of hit a wall with creativity, and seems like (it's subjective) but 50% of new IPs have failed on being anything new and innovative or impactful, like they had been in the last gen.

I'm enjoying reading the last gen vs current gen IP... argument going on here with YVR Gamer and the rest...

I think it's a good debate and there's no clear answer.

Here is my "non list" version of the argument..

The reason I think last gen may have gotten quite a few good IPs over this gen is mostly due to the major shift and advancements in technology performance and graphics.

Massive games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1 & 2 or even AC2 etc. couldn't have been done on a PS2.. thus the PS360 not only "unlocked" the potential to make bigger games, it gave game developers a reason to come up with bigger, better open world IPs.

Basically the PS360 were one step closer to bridge PC gaming with console games, thus, developers really wanted to push the limitation of these consoles with any game they could port from the PC over etc. (hence why lots of these games ran poorly on the PS3) I mean they were "doable" but experience drastically varied... regardless they were new and very impactful IPs for these consoles, that could no way be technically achieved with previous consoles.

Enter this gen and there really isn't much more we can achieve technically from last gen except prettier graphics, higher resolutions and frame rate. What I love about this gen is it's the generation that forces the developers to focus on gameplay and creativity in their new IPs... Having said that, the industry has kind of hit a wall with creativity, and seems like (it's subjective) but 50% of new IPs have failed on being anything new and innovative or impactful, like they had been in the last gen.

Looking at you Evolve and the Order 1886.

schopaia

The library is still pretty dire when it comes to fighting and racing games. And RPG's. And sandbox shooters (xbox is a little better here with Halo and Recore). Cinematic action/adventure games, certainly, PS4 has alot.

Griss

Until it has an Everybody's Golf game and a new Dead or Alive game I won't be happy.

The holy trinity of timewasting games for me on playstation is Pro Evo, EG and DoA. We got an amazing Pro Evo in PES2017, now we just need the other two to deliver. They're taking their time.

cornerman

The library is still pretty dire when it comes to fighting and racing games. And RPG's. And sandbox shooters (xbox is a little better here with Halo and Recore). Cinematic action/adventure games, certainly, PS4 has alot.
It's the only console with street fighter, shares in all the mortal Kombat games. Has the guilty gear series,has alot of the old 2d fighters to download, and will welcome Tekken one day. It's doing OK on the fighting tip isn't it? Racing has kind fell off across the board unless you own turn 10. GT is likely this year, and I hear Dirt is back. There's that other racer that starts with an A or something. I think alot of people miss burnout. Guess a kart racer would be nice as well.

What type of RPGs do you mean specifically? Not alot of sandbox shooters, but I don't think they've ever had those to begin with. I don't know but that really seems to just boil down to halo doesn't it? I mean outside of halo, even last gen, how many sandbox shooters were there? I'm blanking.

Unrivaled

Banned
For me when Destiny Hit in 2014 it carried me all the way to Dying Light and Bloodborne in early 2015 and it was a wrap Gen had kicked into gearrr

Going from TLG (my game of the year) to Gravity Rush 2 and Horizon ZD coming up has been a really nice little run of playing PS exclusives.

I'm yet to dive into Yakuza 0 but dying to and there's Persona 5 and Nier just around the corner.

Since 2015, the system has really come into it's own, the good thing with PS is you can count on its a solid diverse library even if it takes a couple years to get going.

The only major problem right now is that the PS4 has too many games.

Someone should complaint to Sony about that. It's getting out of hand.

Unrivaled

Banned
No it doesn't, as your list is indeed now smaller and no bigger then this gen.

Nioh
Bloodborne
Horizon
Watch dogs 1 and 2
Destiny
The Division
Last Guardian
For Honor

To name a few. All new IP's.

Plus factor in the massive indie support that PS3 never had and it's way bigger this gen.

lets not forget

Sunset Overdrive
Overwatch
Dying light
Fallout 4 (since he mention F3)
Unitl dawn

*Looks at 30 retail PS4 Games on stand*
*Looks at 20 Digital retail games on PS4*
*Looks at 15 PSN bought games on PS4*
*Looks at 30 PS+ installed games on PS4*
*Looks at 5 PSVR titles on PS4*

Yeeeep
nyep.gif

I don't think I had this many games on PS3 nor the PS2 honestly.

GHG

I just thought I'd let you know that Nioh and bloodborne are nothing like persona 4. Oh and also that while Nioh might be soulsborne inspired in some aspects it's more of a character action game along the lines of ninja gaiden once you start levelling up your character.

What I'd suggest is stop trying to put games into "boxes" and try looking at each game on its own to understand what they're really about.

lets not forget

Sunset Overdrive
Overwatch
Dying light
Fallout 4 (since he mention F3)
Unitl dawn

What? Fallout 3 was mentioned because it was the first game in that new style (radically different from Fallout 2) by the new developer. It was a reboot of sorts. Fallout 4 is often malligned for precisley how similar it feels to Fallout 3 so it obviously doesn't count. Also, Sunset Overdrive doesn't count because it's Xbox and I was told I couldn't count all my Xbox examples. Dying Light is okay but the idea was to list the biggest and most highly rated new IP. Dying Light reviewed kinda poorly. There's tons more I could've listed on PS3 as well but the goal wasn't to be exhaustive, but rather to cover the best new IP's. The PS3 generation clearly had more of those.

P.S. I totally forgot about Dead Space which was another huge, awesome one. And very highly rated.

I'm really enjoying my PS4 these days. I can't even keep up with all the games coming out for it. And just from January to June, I have Nioh, Nier Automata, Horizon (which I am loving), Crash Trilogy, Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Persona 5 and the Uncharted side DLC as Sony console exclusives.

So... press or hot street date break?

This is the PS brand in a nutshell with every new gen, slow start strong finish. PS have never failed me and will forgive almost everything (PSN outage %*$%#) along as the games keeps coming.

What the hell are you talking about?

PS1 and PS2 had an overwhelming amount of fantastic and mid tier titles in the first few years.

CervantesPR1

Neo Member
Has a great lineup, but that controller... can't stand it.

I think its all in your head, you will get use to it just like my xbox friend got used to it when he switched from xbox one to PS4, DS4 is a very confortable controller its even bigger than the xbox one controller, very ergonomic

reKon

Banned
I feel like I'm having deja vu. We knew about the games that have been in development and that there were games being worked on that just weren't announced yet. Yet, people have been bitching about the lack of exclusive games. This the exact same thing that happened with the PS3. People were complaining that there were no stand games, then boom, 2009 comes around and we saw Killzone 2, Infamous, Demon Soul's, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT. From then on it a at least a couple of genre topping exclusives that came out all the way up until the Last of Us in 2013.

Great games take time to develop. There was nothing ever wrong with the initial line up of PS4 games. It's just that the better ones were always going to come down the road.

So either gamer's have an extremely short term memory or there's just an influx of younger people are just getting consoles for the first time. OR maybe a lot of younger gamers were had Xbox 360's so they were completely unaware of release dates and when the PS3 library took off. I don't know, but I just find all of this straight up silly. PS4 came out late 2013 so all of this timing matches up with what we saw from the PS3, except there even MORE potentially good games because this system is easier to develop for.

Klart

I'm always comparing to the PS2 at its height. Which is arguably an unreasonable expectation. Development costs have risen, many B tier studios have been shuttered or moved onto PC and mobile development. For me there's just not enough variety in the PS4 library, even with titles like Gravity Rush 2.

Not enough variety? If you take into account the enormous & diverse amount of digital only titles you have access to, something the PS2 didn't have (obviously), I 'd argue there's even more variety now.

I saw that. They didn't say definitively that it won't make its way to X1. They said they aren't currently planning on it. Well, they've never planned on bringing it over. It doesn't change the fact that they at one point were considering it. I think if the demand is high enough outside of Japan, and Japanese sales aren't setting the world ablaze, they'll think about bringing it over.

If they don't, no big. I don't have time for most rpgs now-a-days, anyway. Unless it comes to the Switch, where I can play in handheld mode, the odds of me beating an rpg now are pretty slim. Even with 3 tvs, having 2 kids has killed my gaming time. The second I turn on a console, my son is begging me to let him play what he wants to play, or to play Madden with him, and he doesn't stop begging until I relinquish the console.

Look, I've enjoyed this gen plenty. But it really surprises me that you guys think it has been anywhere near last gen in producing high quality and influential new IP. Let's break it down with Meta scores, then.

My list from PS3:
Uncharted 1/2 [88/96]
Mass Effect 1/2 [85/94]
Demon's Souls [89]
Bioshock 1/2 [94/88]
Batman Arkham Asylum [91]
Fallout 3 [90] - new developer, very different style. It counts if Bloodborne counts for PS4.
Heavy Rain [87]
Infamous [85]
Assassin's Creed 1/2 [81/91]

Your list from PS4:
Nioh [87]
Bloodborne [92] - I'll count this, but it's basically a small evolution on Dark Souls.
Horizon - Not released yet.
Watch Dogs 1 and 2 [80/82]
Destiny [76]
The Division [80]
Last Guardian [82]
For Honor [81]

I mean, come on. Would anyone really argue the PS4 list is even close in terms of quality, novelty, and impact on the industry?

You're saying that like that list he made is comprehensive, or that Metacritic means anything here (Uncharted getting an 88 is inflated). Metacritic is great for getting excited, but at the end of the day, it's irrelevant when talking about what we individually think is good.

You can't include Arkham Asylum either. Last gen started in 2005 (you're including 360 games like Gears of War, so you can't compare 4 years of last gen to 3 years of this one). No Arkham Asylum, no Uncharted 2, no Ass Creed 2, no Heavy Rain, etc.

acklame

An excellent library for sure. It's near PS2 level in terms of the sheer number of quality games I've bought and played on.

More than ps4... I'm really happy to see japanese games back the way they are. I did not hold hope for a resurgence like this.

I feel the same.

A shame Konami has gone to shit in the console game market. They were consistently my favorite Japanese company from the NES days through the PS2 days.
With Japanese developers starting to fight back, the absence of Konami is very depressing to me. :/

Memento

Yes, PS4 have been killing with its exclusives lately.

Started in December with The Last Guardian (my personal GOTY2016), then Gravity Rush 2, then Yakuza 0, then Nioh and now Horizon.

Next month there is Nier Automata and the month after Persona 5 (my possible GOTY2017).

It is getting ridiculous!!!

Also- I've seen multiple people in this thread complain about the lack of a really good driving exclusive for PS4.

Folks, if you can look past the launch stumble, DriveClub is an outstanding game that really came together with updates. Breaks my heart to see it so tragically misrepresented in these discussions.

Top Bottom