• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 finally has the library strength I always hoped for it

If I could afford one of them Samsung 8000K or LG B6 4K TVs, I would've bought a PS4 pro at launch.

I am too much of a graphic, "perfect gaming setup" whore to buy the PS4 and play it on a lackluster TV.

Fuck! point of entry is a bit too pricey for me, not to mention spending up to $400? on the10-12 exclusives that are out right now that I want to play...

I'll just stick to my PS360, play USFIV and RDR etc.

I think this gen is finally approaching solidness with the recent wave of releases and what's coming in the immediate future, but I agree with the idea that it lacks variety and completely new ideas. Thankfully the indie scene is showing zero signs of slowing.

Skyo

I always knew what I was getting into when I joined Team PS4.

Japanese games, Western Games, Indies, 1st party and VR. It was always a winning combination!

Wholeheartedly agree. Haven't got VR yet, waiting for more games-hopefully Sony doesn't disappoint on that front. :)

Seriously? Last gen had way more big new games from new franchises than this gen. No contest.

Uncharted trilogy
The Last of Us
Mass Effect trilogy
Fallout 3 (rebooted Fallout)
Assassin's Creed
Gears of War
Demon/Dark Souls
Red Dead Redemption (first Rockstar entry)
Bioshock
Batman Arkham
Telltale The Walking Dead
Infamous
Journey

What are the big new games and franchises this gen? Not even close IMO

I'm not sure this is a good comparison: at this point last gen, it was February 2009.

Uncharted 2/3 (which really put Uncharted on the map, not the first one), Assassin's Creed 2 (same thing as Uncharted), Mass Effect 2/3, Demon/Dark Souls, The Last of Us, Red Dead, Batman Arkham, Infamous, Journey and Telltale The Walking Dead did not exist.

So you're left with:

Uncharted 1
Mass Effect 1
Fallout 3 (rebooted Fallout) [but this still isn't a new IP)
Assassin's Creed 1
Gears of War
Bioshock

It's easy to look at 8 years of one gen and look at all those IPs in their totality. And I agree: I had a lot of fun!

But you can't compare 8 years of one gen to three years of this one (four if you include the ill-fated Wii U).

Been on it from day1 and gotta say it's got a library I enjoy and there really hasn't been a drought. Spent way too much time playing don't starve and spelunky.

Plenty of great games on it.

I like how literally every game 'isn't fun' in a super broad brush and all Japanese games are 'anime styled games'.

Nonsense.

'Well if you like "anime games" i guess its ok'

You could make the same sort of comparisons to Nintendo and MS is any manner of unfair ways.

Wha...where did you get this out of what I said? I was specifically saying that, if you enjoy Sony's exclusives and anime-styled games (Persona, Disgaea, the Neptunia games, Dragon Quest which is made by an anime artist whom I enjoy, Sword Art Online, Senran Kagura, need I go on more?), you will absolutely love the ps4's lineup. I never said "all Japanese games are 'anime styled games'", as you so clearly are trying to put on me. Who in their right mind would say that Resident Evil 7, arguably the biggest Japanese release this year is anything even remotely similar to resembling anime.

Geez...some of you people around here are taking my decision to excise Sony from my gaming environment way too personally. There's really no reason to be so defensive. Look, as I said, if you like Sony's exlusives, you will love the PS4's lineup. That's great praise right there. I just don't personally enjoy those games any longer.

I'm not sure this is a good comparison: at this point last gen, it was February 2009.

Uncharted 2/3 (which really put Uncharted on the map, not the first one), Assassin's Creed 2 (same thing as Uncharted), Mass Effect 2/3, Demon/Dark Souls, The Last of Us, Red Dead, Batman Arkham, Infamous, Journey and Telltale The Walking Dead did not exist.

So you're left with:

Uncharted 1
Mass Effect 1
Fallout 3 (rebooted Fallout) [but this still isn't a new IP)
Assassin's Creed 1
Gears of War
Bioshock

It's easy to look at 8 years of one gen and look at all those IPs in their totality. And I agree: I had a lot of fun!

But you can't compare 8 years of one gen to three years of this one (four if you include the ill-fated Wii U).

Actually, the PS3 released on November 17, 2006 in NA. The PS4 released on November 15, 2013. So the equivalent time in PS3's lifecycle is February 2010.

At that point, the following were released:
Uncharted 1/2
Mass Effect 1/2
Demon's Souls
Gears of War 1/2
Bioshock 1/2
Fallout 3
Infamous
Batman Arkham Asylum

So yeah, my point stands.

Actually, the PS3 released on November 17, 2006 in NA. The PS4 released on November 15, 2013. So the equivalent time in PS3's lifecycle is February 2010.

Uncharted 1/2
Mass Effect 1/2
Demon's Souls
Gears of War 1/2
Bioshock 1/2
Fallout 3
Infamous

No it doesn't, as your list is indeed now smaller and no bigger then this gen.

Nioh
Bloodborne
Horizon
Watch dogs 1 and 2
Destiny
The Division
Last Guardian
For Honor

To name a few. All new IP's.

Plus factor in the massive indie support that PS3 never had and it's way bigger this gen.

Spman2099

"all Japanese games are 'anime styled games'"

That is patently untrue... What an absurd thing to say! I also don't appreciate your potshotting approach; you are picking and choosing what you want to respond to. It quite simply isn't an honest form of discussion.

Joking aside, the PS4 has pulled gaming out of the gutter for me. It has essentially been a gaming Renaissance in my eyes.

Brix

Wha...where did you get this out of what I said? I was specifically saying that, if you enjoy Sony's exclusives and anime-styled games (Persona, Disgaea, the Neptunia games, Dragon Quest which is made by an anime artist whom I enjoy, Sword Art Online, Senran Kagura, need I go on more?), you will absolutely love the ps4's lineup. I never said "all Japanese games are 'anime styled games'", as you so clearly are trying to put on me. Who in their right mind would say that Resident Evil 7, arguably the biggest Japanese release this year is anything even remotely similar to resembling anime.

Geez...some of you people around here are taking my decision to excise Sony from my gaming environment way too personally. There's really no reason to be so defensive. Look, as I said, if you like Sony's exlusives, you will love the PS4's lineup. That's great praise right there. I just don't personally enjoy those games any longer.

What are some Nintendo/Xbox exclusives do you enjoy this gen? Just wondering.

Seriously? It's way bigger than the list the guy tried to trim it down to and really only missing a couple of the ones I originally posted. The critical ones are all still there.

Point absolutely still stands.

No it doesn't, as your list is indeed now smaller and no bigger then this gen. Your list is smaller..period.

Nioh
Bloodborne
Horizon
Watch dogs 1 and 2
Destiny
The Division
Last Guardian
For Honor

Plus factor in the massive indie support that PS3 never had and it's way bigger this gen.

Uncharted 1/2
Mass Effect 1/2
Demon's Souls
Gears of War 1/2
Bioshock 1/2
Fallout 3
Infamous

It doesn't because you've still lost a chunk of that list (Journey, Last of Us, Walking Dead, Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Bioshock: Infinite, Red Dead). That truncated list doesn't seem like a great rebuttal that last gen created new IPs more than this one, especially when you listed games that came out 6 - 7 years into the gen, and in some cases at the very end (Last of Us).

And Fallout 3 isn't a new IP, either, so it shouldn't be mentioned as a new franchise.

EDIT: And you can't say, "PS3 released in 2006," but then include 360 stuff because the 360 came out in 2005. You'd have to backtrack to where I did, which was February 2009.

Seriously? It's way bigger than the list the guy tried to trim it down to and really only missing a couple of the ones I originally posted. The critical ones are all still there.

Point absolutely still stands.

It's not way bigger. It's slightly bigger and still a bit off (Fallout 3 is not a new IP). And we'd have to ignore that the 360 released in 2005, and the 360 was the closest comparison to the PS3 since multiplats released on both systems, so stuff like Bioshock, for example, originally released in 2007 on the 360. To include Bioshock 2, a Feb 2010 release, would be to include four years of one gen versus three of this one.

I'm with you that last gen was a ton of fun. I just don't think it did a better job creating new IPs any more than this gen has, and with indies being a smaller chunk of the market at that point, it probably created less.

sn0man

It has a great library but the system is still pitiful for racers in comparison to the PS1 and PS2. Things should get better this year but hopefully the titles (e.g.: GT Sport) will deliver.

I will more than likely use my PS4 Pro more than my Xbox One for gaming though this year up until the Scorpio releases; More exclusives coming to the PS4 during the first half of this year.

I like to race, not just drive. As of such, I prefer Forza over Gran Turismo. I played GT back when it was the only realistic game on the market, but after the release of Forza, I've come to realize that, while GT is an amazing driving simulator, I don't enjoy the racing mechanics as much as Forza.

Look, people, I've never said Sony doesn't have good software or that it's all garbage. I've said that, if you enjoy their exclusives, the PS4 lineup is exemplary. I've just also said that I, personally do not enjoy their games as I, personally do not have fun with them.

I had a Pro and was excited to play some of their multi-platform games as PS4 generally runs better than Xbone. I got it in the awkward time when Naughty Dog was taking features away from TLOU:R. I took it back.

I assume that early multi platforms will continue to run better on PS than Xbox but Scorpio combined with MS prowess has me concerned I should wait.

That said my one genre that I feel PS4 is the worst PS ever is racers. Sony killed the Motorstorm boys before they could fully realize their vision and it seems again that Polyphony won't deliver a full racer until we see a PS4 Pro Slim at least. Even a Twisted Metal would be nice.

That said MS has been a two trick pony for me with gears and Forza Motorsport. (Halo without splitscreen seems like no Halo to me personally.) If the standard is best games of the generation then I'd say WiiU still but it's a Pyrrhic victory at best.

Bgamer90

Banned
That said my one genre that I feel PS4 is the worst PS ever is racers. Sony killed the Motorstorm boys before they could fully realize their vision and it seems again that Polyphony won't deliver a full racer until we see a PS4 Pro Slim at least. Even a Twisted Metal would be nice.

I definitely agree with you. I feel so strongly about it because the PS1 and PS2 made me a huge racing game fan. Just so much variety within the genre for those systems that isn't there with the PS4.

I definitely agree with you. I feel so strongly about it because the PS1 and PS2 made me a huge racing game fan. Just so much variety within the genre for those systems that isn't there with the PS4.

I agree PS4 one lineup weakness is racing, PD needs to smarten up, Ps4 has everything else though in spades, so unless you are a hardcore racing fan, it wont matter. personally all the Japanese support and variety on PS4 is far more important then racers.

Mohasus

Nioh
Bloodborne
Horizon
Watch dogs 1 and 2
Destiny
The Division
Last Guardian
For Honor

Kinda sad that there are only 2 great titles in this list.

I mean, listing things like Watch_Dogs and Last Guardian would be like listing MotorStorm, Folklore and Heavenly Sword in the PS3 one.

]Kinda sad that there are 2 good titles only in this list.[/B]

I mean, listing things like Watch_Dogs and Last Guardian would be like listing MotorStorm, Folklore and Heavenly Sword in the PS3 one.

LOL, sure if you say so. I don't like a thing so it's bad. Most of that list is very good to great, but keep on. Watch Dos 2 is a great game as is TLG...... Watch dogs has outsold both of those games combined. Assassins creed is no better then WD.

Last Guardian's a terrific game, and it seems strange to mention Assassin's Creed but not Watch Dogs, especially when both went through similar situations where the second game really was the "great" game with the first being the series dipping its toes in the water.

Bgamer90

Banned
I agree PS4 one lineup weakness is racing, PD needs to smarten up, Ps4 has everything else though in spades, so unless you are a hardcore racing fan, it wont matter. personally all the Japanese support and variety on PS4 is far more important then racers.

I agree that it's more important than racers since racing has become a pretty niche genre this gen. I'm a pretty hardcore racing game fan though so it's definitely big for me.

The only Japanese support/games that I really care about are fighters and Nintendo system content for the most part.
I'll get Tekken 7 for my PS4 Pro if there are enough improvements.

It's good to see japanese gaming going stronger. The uncharteds, and cinematic games were weighing on me by uc2.

Still a lot of stuff to come like the new raw danger game which should be fantastic.

What are some Nintendo/Xbox exclusives do you enjoy this gen? Just wondering.

Nintendo
Combining Wii U and 3DS here

Bayonetta 2
Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter 4
Mario 3d World
Xenoblade X
ZombiU (started out exclusive)
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Fast Racing Neo
Nano Assault Neo
Pikmin 3
Wind Waker HD
Picross 3D Round 2
Bravely Default
Etrian Odyssey 4
Fantasy Life
Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates
Zelda: Link Between Worlds
Luigi's Mansion 2
Box Boy
Mario 3d Land
Mario Kart 7

Xbox One

Quantum Break
Halo 5
Halo Wars 2
Dead Rising 3
Killer Instinct
Elite Dangerous (console exclusive)
Forza 5
Forza Horizon 3
Rare Replay
Ori and the Blind Forest
Sunset Overdrive
Titanfall
Defense Grid 2
Recore

I'm sure there are others for both console I'm not currently thinking of, both this is what I could rattle off my head.

Cipherr

Good. Consoles just need some time to get there. Not even the PS1 was instantly perfect. Gotta lettem grow into greatness.

I would adore the PS4 if it wasn't for the controller. The sticks are way too small, the light bar is super distracting (with a reflective TV), the battery life is inexcusable, the triggers are microscopic, and RIP the grip on the sticks.

I would adore the PS4 if it wasn't for the controller. The sticks are way too small, the light bar is super distracting (with a reflective TV), the battery life is inexcusable, the triggers are microscopic, and RIP the grip on the sticks.

Holy hyperbole. Battery life could be better but they last 8 hours, had ps4 for 4 years ran out of juice once, who is playing games for longer then 8 hours? How are the triggers microscopic? Sounds like a totally different Ds4 then what I have,

Not really The Last Guardian is an acclaimed game that made a lot of GotY lists and actually won GotY from outlets like Edge, Easy Allies and The Guardian. You can't compare that to Heavenly Sword.
Bloodborne is a masterpiece, Nioh is tremendous. If early word is anything to go by, Horizon is class as well. For Honor is really good. So is Overwatch. And Rocket League. And Resogun. And then there is Driveclub, which got a lot of praise as well after all the updates. Until Dawn is no masterpiece, but it's a fun sleeper hit.

We'll see how upcoming games like Dreams, Wild, Detroit, Days Gone and Death Stranding fare.

Not that a game needs to be new IP to be good or interesting of course. PS4's library is defined by games like Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Yakuza series and others as well.

Holy hyperbole. Battery life could be better but they last 8 hours, had ps4 for 4 years ran out of juice once, who is playing games for longer then 8 hours? How are the triggers microscopic? Sounds like a totally different Ds4 then what I have,

Got damn, can anyone have any other opinion other than total praise and adulation for Sony and Playstation with you?

People have big hands, people have different finger sizes, people are different.

I get about 5-6 when I play. It just sucks that if I don't remember to plug my controller in after each session, it'll end up dying during the next. And my hands are also the size of the paw of an adult grizzly bear so my fingers are constantly slipping off the triggers.

Purest 78

Nintendo

Bayonetta 2
Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Monster Hunter 4
Mario 3d World
Xenoblade X
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Fast Racing Neo
Nano Assault Neo
Pikmin 3
Wind Waker HD
Picross 3D Round 2
Bravely Default
Etrian Odyssey 4
Fantasy Life
Luigi's Mansion 2
Box Boy
Mario 3d Land
Mario Kart 7

Xbox One

Quantum Break
Halo 5
Halo Wars 2
Dead Rising 3
Killer Instinct
Forza 5
Forza Horizon 3
Rare Replay
Ori and the Blind Forest
Sunset Overdrive
Titanfall
Defense Grid 2
Recore

I'm sure there are others for both console I'm not currently thinking of, both this is what I could rattle off my head.

Elite Dangerous is on ps4 now.

Brix

Nintendo

Bayonetta 2
Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Monster Hunter 4
Mario 3d World
Xenoblade X
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Fast Racing Neo
Nano Assault Neo
Pikmin 3
Wind Waker HD
Picross 3D Round 2
Bravely Default
Etrian Odyssey 4
Fantasy Life
Luigi's Mansion 2
Box Boy
Mario 3d Land
Mario Kart 7

Xbox One

Quantum Break
Halo 5
Halo Wars 2
Dead Rising 3
Killer Instinct
Forza 5
Forza Horizon 3
Rare Replay
Ori and the Blind Forest
Sunset Overdrive
Titanfall
Defense Grid 2
Recore

That's a big and impressive list. And I can understand how some Playstation games could turn you off. But if you enjoyed Bayonetta 2, you might enjoy Nier Automata. It's made by Platinum games as well and there is a free demo available on psn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq3_phBQA_Y&t=64s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOQwMLWEJrg

No it doesn't, as your list is indeed now smaller and no bigger then this gen. Your list is smaller..period.

Nioh
Bloodborne
Horizon
Watch dogs 1 and 2
Destiny
The Division
Last Guardian
For Honor

It doesn't because you've still lost a chunk of that list (Journey, Last of Us, Walking Dead, Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Bioshock: Infinite, Red Dead). That truncated list doesn't seem like a great rebuttal that last gen created new IPs more than this one, especially when you listed games that came out 6 - 7 years into the gen, and in some cases at the very end (Last of Us).

And Fallout 3 isn't a new IP, either, so it shouldn't be mentioned as a new franchise.

EDIT: And you can't say, "PS3 released in 2006," but then include 360 stuff because the 360 came out in 2005. You'd have to backtrack to where I did, which was February 2009.

It's not way bigger. It's slightly bigger and still a bit off (Fallout 3 is not a new IP). And we'd have to ignore that the 360 released in 2005, and the 360 was the closest comparison to the PS3 since multiplats released on both systems, so stuff like Bioshock, for example, originally released in 2007 on the 360. To include Bioshock 2, a Feb 2010 release, would be to include four years of one gen versus three of this one.

I'm with you that last gen was a ton of fun. I just don't think it did a better job creating new IPs any more than this gen has, and with indies being a smaller chunk of the market at that point, it probably created less.

Look, I've enjoyed this gen plenty. But it really surprises me that you guys think it has been anywhere near last gen in producing high quality and influential new IP. Let's break it down with Meta scores, then.

My list from PS3:
Uncharted 1/2 [88/96]
Mass Effect 1/2 [85/94]
Demon's Souls [89]
Bioshock 1/2 [94/88]
Batman Arkham Asylum [91]
Fallout 3 [90] - new developer, very different style. It counts if Bloodborne counts for PS4.
Heavy Rain [87]
Infamous [85]
Assassin's Creed 1/2 [81/91]

Your list from PS4:
Nioh [87]
Bloodborne [92] - I'll count this, but it's basically a small evolution on Dark Souls.
Horizon - Not released yet.
Watch Dogs 1 and 2 [80/82]
Destiny [76]
The Division [80]
Last Guardian [82]
For Honor [81]

I mean, come on. Would anyone really argue the PS4 list is even close in terms of quality, novelty, and impact on the industry?

Spman2099

Watch Dogs is clearly not a great game, but I think it is pretty obvious that a lot of people really adored The Last Guardian.

The whole subjectivity of this sort of thing is further emphasized by the fact that I think Folklore was a top ten game from the last generation...

Look, I've enjoyed this gen plenty. But it really surprises me that you guys think it has been anywhere near last gen in producing high quality and influential new IP. Let's break it down with Meta scores, then.

My list from PS3:
Uncharted 1/2 [88/96]
Mass Effect 1/2 [85/94]
Demon's Souls [89]
Bioshock 1/2 [94/88]
Fallout 3 [90] - new developer, very different style. It counts if Bloodborne counts for PS4.
Heavy Rain [87]
Infamous [85]

Your list from PS4:
Nioh [87]
Bloodborne [92] - I'll count this, but it's basically a small evolution on Dark Souls.
Destiny [76]
The Division [80]
Last Guardian [82]
For Honor [81]

I mean, come on. Would anyone really argue the PS4 list is even close in terms of quality and impact on the industry?

Games are being scored differently these days. Average metacritic scores are lowering. I would absolutely argue that the PS4 library of games has been way more impactful (as well as significantly higher in quality).

Like, are we really going to pretend that Fallout 3, which was broken and ugly even when it released, is better than all those other games listed in the PS4 category? Are we really arguing that Heavy Rain, as novel as it was when it released, is a better game than The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, and Yakuza 0? This is just a further example of review scores falling down in my book.

Purest 78

I get about 5-6 when I play. It just sucks that if I don't remember to plug my controller in after each session, it'll end up dying during the next. And my hands are also the size of the paw of an adult grizzly bear so my fingers are constantly slipping off the triggers.

That's weird I have huge hands I can't think of one time my fingers slipped of the triggers. Also I wonder what hand size has to do with that. Not saying it doesn't happen to you Just trying to picture how.

I guess it's like when people say their thumbs hit on the DS4. That has literally never happened to me either.

My list from PS3:
Uncharted 1/2 [88/96]
Mass Effect 1/2 [85/94]
Demon's Souls [89]
Bioshock 1/2 [94/88]
Heavy Rain [87]
Infamous [85]

Your list from PS4:
Nioh [87]
Destiny [76]
The Division [80]
Last Guardian [82]
For Honor [81]

I mean, come on. Would anyone really argue the PS4 list is even close in terms of quality and impact on the industry?

Yep, What's so crazy about that? Nioh and BB are as good as any game last gen alone. TLG is great, Destiny is massive, Horizon looks like it is going to be excellent. What is so much better about your list? I am also leaving a few off that list. Do you play Indies? Last gen was weak on ps3, that alone gives this gen a huge advantage.

Until Dawn was also really good.

Watch Dogs 2 > any assassins creed game imo.

Not sure what's inherently wrong with lists. It's one of the only quantifiable and objective measures in arguing video games lol

I know, the list war complaining is like getting mad people try and fact check. How else am I supposed to compare when talking about this?
Watch Dogs is clearly not a great game, but I think it is pretty obvious that a lot of people really adored The Last Guardian.

The whole subjectivity of this sort of thing is further emphasized by the fact that I think Folklore was a top ten game from the last generation...

Games are being scored differently these days. Average metacritic scores are lowering. I would absolutely argue that the PS4 library of games has been way more impactful (as well as significantly higher in quality).

That is very debateable. WD2 is great.

That's a big and impressive list. And I can understand how some Playstation games could turn you off. But if you enjoyed Bayonetta 2, you might enjoy Nier Automata. It's made by Platinum games as well and there is a free demo available on psn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq3_phBQA_Y&t=64s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOQwMLWEJrg

Oh, I'm sure I would. I've already traded in my PS4 for my Switch, but if/when it gets an Xbox One port, I'll gladly try it. It looks great.

Raylan

Banned
Get the new version. It's the perfect controller, imho. But yeah, the light bar is still there (not a problem for me).

entremet

I would agree.

It took a while. For me it''s mostly because of the big recent Japanese titles.

I could give two shits about the flavor of the month Western AAA tripe that was dominating it during its first 2 years.

My list from PS3:
Uncharted 1/2 [88/96]
Mass Effect 1/2 [85/94]
Demon's Souls [89]
Bioshock 1/2 [94/88]
Heavy Rain [87]
Infamous [85]

Your list from PS4:
Nioh [87]
Destiny [76]
The Division [80]
Last Guardian [82]
For Honor [81]

I mean, come on. Would anyone really argue the PS4 list is even close in terms of quality, novelty, and impact on the industry?

This doesn't even include Left 4 Dead or Dead Space :)

I don't think anyone can argue the PS3/X360 had more new franchises. Such is the ebb and flow of the industry. Luckily Horizon is bringing much needed new IP to the PS4.

This doesn't even include Left 4 Dead or Dead Space :)

I don't think anyone can argue the PS3/X360 had more new franchises. Such is the ebb and flow of the industry. Luckily Horizon is bringing much needed new IP to the PS4.

Yeah but games like Until Dawn, Sunset Over Drive..etc. Are left off the other list. Still don't see last gen being better. More games released due to development time and costs maybe but quality? Very debatable.

Crayon

More than ps4... I'm really happy to see japanese games back the way they are. I did not hold hope for a resurgence like this.

Top Bottom