• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 1.60 released. Pulse headset support, mute camera, stability

-griffy-

Banned
So is the Pulse Elite headset going to have more features than this new headset? So better to go with the Pulse Elite?

It seems like the only thing the new headset is missing compared to Pulse Elite is the bass impact feature, which is frankly more annoying than it is cool when turned up. MSRP is $50 cheaper on the new headset, so I'd think if you are buying a new one than the Gold would be a good choice.

PS3 didnt have most features it has now withint its first few months either. Give it time.

Haha, I know. I was only joking (mostly)

It just seemed like they rushed it to shop fronts without a lot of features that are now commonplace on the PS3. I can see why some people may see that as a step back. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with it for the moment - just want the suspend/resume feature implemented and the Share video glitches sorted!

mollipen

Oh... ok...

Few I would add to your list:

- Ability to sort order of main XMB content list alphabetically / by content type (instead of just most recently used)
- Pin active game and/or inserted game disc to leftmost edge of the XMB content list
- Ability to filter What's New section by All / Trophies / Shared Media / Notices (games played, people friended, etc.)
- Ability to sort & filter Library
- Under Media apps, put apps you have installed above the line, un-installed apps below
- Support for choosing avatars purchased on PS3

Metfanant

ok, im seriously considering picking up this new headset because im becoming fairly certain that the old PS3 bluetooth headsets wont ever be made compatible...

Now...for those in the know (because i dont know jack about headsets)...

- Are these going to be worth the $100, when it seems the Pulse Elites are down to $115 on Amazon??

the Pulse Elites look like they might be more "feature rich" but ive heard lots of issues with the cracking and breaking of the plastic...

- if i plug the headset into the DS4 via the 3.5mm jack will it work as a "chat only" headset?

Edit: Also, LoL at the people complaining about an update...updates are updates...as far as im concerned the more the better...dont care if they add great features, any improvement is better than none...

Wotanik

Banned
I dont think theyd rollout 2 updates in a month with features yet. Id say in late march.

But by updating the headphone support now will sell the new headphones in Japan already before the launch. Then just finish the real update until the Japanese launch and everyone's happy. =)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
After the update will this headset be usable on PS4?

shopping

Nope, the headsets getting supported with this update connect to the PS4 using USB dongles. There are seemingly no plans to add BT headset support. Sucks.

Raoh

No DLNA server support in this updates makes me sad.

This.

It's the only update I care about. The closest I've got is trying to connect to my plex server via the ps34 web browser. I can sort of get it to load and login but takes forever and a day to load a movie and there is no guarantee it will play.

Raoh

I do. That's exactly why I just want a mic. Like I used to use on the 360 or the ps3. Just a normal Bluetooth headset that takes up one ear. Not giant headphones that I have to also push game audio through or not hear anything because it blocks out all noise
item_L_491865_518091.jpg

That's what I love about my sony bluetooth headset. It has a mute button. I don't want people to hear me as much as I don't want to hear them.

I miss my socom days of "Push to Talk"

I wish this was a feature in every game.

- Are these going to be worth the $100, when it seems the Pulse Elites are down to $115 on Amazon??

Hard to say before anyone has used them, but Sony's previous headsets have been good value with good sound quality, so their track record is good.

-the Pulse Elites look like they might be more "feature rich" but ive heard lots of issues with the cracking and breaking of the plastic...

Really the only feature the elite has over the new headset is bass impact, which is fun for a little while but can become tiring on the ears. I've had my pair for over a year with no cracking after heavy use, but I can't speak for everyone

- if i plug the headset into the DS4 via the 3.5mm jack will it work as a "chat only" headset?

The PS4 can send game and chat audio through the 3.5mm jack, currently doing so with my pulse elites

Hope this helps. Formatting is shitty since I'm on mobile, sorry

-griffy-

Banned

the Pulse Elites look like they might be more "feature rich" but ive heard lots of issues with the cracking and breaking of the plastic...

These look like they will be worth $100, compared to the Pulse Elites anyways, as they look to have identical features minus the bass impact of the Pulse Elites. We won't really know how wear and tear will treat them until people get their hands on them obviously.

And yes, if you use the 3.5mm jack you can set the audio to chat only or all audio just like any other headset via holding down the PS button and going to Adjust Devices. The only problem is the Pulse Elite does block sound, so things will be slightly muffled if you only have chat audio coming through it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Few I would add to your list:

- Ability to sort order of main XMB content list alphabetically / by content type (instead of just most recently used)
- Pin active game and/or inserted game disc to leftmost edge of the XMB content list
- Ability to filter What's New section by All / Trophies / Shared Media / Notices (games played, people friended, etc.)
- Ability to sort & filter Library
- Under Media apps, put apps you have installed above the line, un-installed apps below
- Support for choosing avatars purchased on PS3

Inserted disc definitely. I wanted to eject a disc yesterday and had no idea which game it was without scrolling along looking for the disc icon. If a disc game was always on the left it'd be very helpful

-griffy-

Banned
Inserted disc definitely. I wanted to eject a disc yesterday and had no idea which game it was without scrolling along looking for the disc icon. If a disc game was always on the left it'd be very helpful

If you're gonna eject a disc, you're presumably going to be getting up to get it out of the system, in which case you could just hit the eject button on the system when you get up :p

Vibranium

Banned
Nice little update but yeah, I can't wait for suspend/resume and hopefully viewing trophies offline.

And dimming the lightbar sounds good to me, if Shu is ok with at least that it sounds like it'll happen at some point.

Metfanant

Hope this helps. Formatting is shitty since I'm on mobile, sorry

These look like they will be worth $100, compared to the Pulse Elites anyways, as they look to have identical features minus the bass impact of the Pulse Elites. We won't really know how wear and tear will treat them until people get their hands on them obviously.

And yes, if you use the 3.5mm jack you can set the audio to chat only or all audio just like any other headset via holding down the PS button and going to Adjust Devices. The only problem is the Pulse Elite does block sound, so things will be slightly muffled if you only have chat audio coming through it.

cool...how is the mic itself on the Pulse Elites??...im a big stickler for noice cancellation...when i have the chance i like the crank my 7.1 surround while playing online...and i HATE hearing everyone's background sounds through their headset and don't want to be "that guy"

Ellite25

It seems like the only thing the new headset is missing compared to Pulse Elite is the bass impact feature, which is frankly more annoying than it is cool when turned up. MSRP is $50 cheaper on the new headset, so I'd think if you are buying a new one than the Gold would be a good choice.
Pulse Elites are $115 on amazon right now, thinking the $15 will be worth it for the extra feature.

Marc

No DLNA? No mercy!

C'mon Sony, the thing is sitting there collecting dust right now. With a gaming wasteland to look forward to this year it appears.

So much stuff that needs to be done and to take this long to achieve feck all is a bit disconcerting.

-griffy-

Banned
Pulse Elites are $115 on amazon right now, thinking the $15 will be worth it for the extra feature.

I don't think $15 is worth it for a feature I personally don't really use on my Pulse Elites because I find it annoying. The new headsets look potentially more comfortable and they fold up which would be a benefit to me since I frequently carry mine in my laptop bag.

gcubed

I don't think $15 is worth it for a feature I personally don't really use on my Pulse Elites because I find it annoying. The new headsets look potentially more comfortable and they fold up which would be a benefit to me since I frequently carry mine in my laptop bag.

yeah i'm just interested in the quality (minus the bass) of these compared to the Elites, they seem more comfortable. Hopefully someone can pop up a quick review

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That is not even planned. They will support new bluetooth headsets built for the PS4, but haven't promised legacy support at all AFAIK.

When did they say that there will even be BT headsets for the PS4 at all? I haven't heard of any. If they are coming I don't see why they couldn't also support all standard BT headsets like they did on the PS3.

mitchman

Gold Member
I dont think theyd rollout 2 updates in a month with features yet. Id say in late march.

Actually, they did release 2 or more firmwares per month several times with the PS3, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_system_software

From the PS3 list, it seems clear that they would release intermediate bug fix firmware upgrades while working on a larger release, and 1.60 for the PS4 seems to fall into the bugfix category of firmware releases, which indicates that we'll get a more feature full release at the end of the month or early/mid March.

Arnie

Nope, the headsets getting supported with this update connect to the PS4 using USB dongles. There are seemingly no plans to add BT headset support. Sucks.

Thanks.

That truly sucks. I've got a pair of Astros but I need a new mixamp and just can't afford one at the moment.

Would've been the perfect solution.

Just give me a notification on screen when friends sign in, that's all I ask.
At the very least I'd like to select "favorite" friends that I can get these kinds of notifications from. Seems like you'd need some kind of filtering system along these lines considering how large friends lists can get.

As far as system stability goes, I get tons of "failed to upload" notifications, and the store is unavailable a lot of the time too, which is pretty strange. Besides that the system on the whole has been very stable.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just give me a notification on screen when friends sign in, that's all I ask.

I can see why they're opting not to as the high limit would lead to massive quantities of messages. A favorites system would work fine, though.

Kuro

ok, im seriously considering picking up this new headset because im becoming fairly certain that the old PS3 bluetooth headsets wont ever be made compatible...

Edit: Also, LoL at the people complaining about an update...updates are updates...as far as im concerned the more the better...dont care if they add great features, any improvement is better than none...

The Pulse Elites have a 90% chance of breaking on you after 3 months. Look it up. So many people with the same problem including me. I would not reccomend the Elites. Their plastic is so shoddy it cracked above the earcups after only 3 months of use and I made sure to open them at the very top to not put stress in those areas and it still happened.

Surely Sony will at least release a wireless headset for those who don't want a stereo headset specifically if they're not going to add bluetooth support? I have Pulse Elites but sometimes I just want to use something for chat, and the Elites aren't comfortable for that IMO.

So it looks like this new headset is going to be pretty much the same as the other ones audio-quality wise? No improvements to the rather substandard VSS on the pulse elites?

sun-drop

The Pulse Elites have a 90% chance of breaking on you after 3 months. Look it up. So many people with the same problem including me. I would not reccomend the Elites. Their plastic is so shoddy it cracked above the earcups after only 3 months of use and I made sure to open them at the very top to not put stress in those areas and it still happened.

i'm maybe tempting fate but ive had mine over a year and no cracks. but then again i don't fling them around by the ear piece either , i'm always careful with me tech.

i have a wee tear on the padding though, i blame that on hair product use :/ ... wish the pads where replaceable

qirex

I'm still waiting on a blu-ray remote [and not that awful-looking third-party one], I don't like having a controller glowing blue while I'm watching a movie.

Jaroof

Hmm, maybe I should invest in a Pulse Elite.
I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Edit: Never mind. Might as well wait for the new one.

Top Bottom