• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 hardware design unveiled

Faster than Xbox One

Faster memory than Xbox One

No power brick like Xbox One

Not reported to have heating issues like Xbox One

Smaller than Xbox One

Wtf are Microsoft's designers doing?

You need a lot of extra space to fit all the TV, SPORTS, and CALLADOGGY inside.

creyas

If you only went by these pics..

qQibpz0.gif

Didn't look so hot on stage though. Need to see it live

It's sad that people can't appreciate subtle design features and all they see is A BLACK BOX LOL LOOKS LIKE XBONE. The Xbone is nasty due to a grey disc tray, poorly done design features and it's a square.

If we're going by that standard, I have a lot of Xbone looking designs in my home.

Yeah, the Xbox One comparisons seem kind of lazy to me. This looks gorgeous imo.

Not a fan of the design at all, I was expecting something to match the sleekness of the DS4. Instead it combines the worst aspects of the XBO's two-toned finish and the original slim PS3's textured plastic.

demolitio

I like it a lot more than the One (no, not Neo). I'm not crazy in love with it, but it's a lot sharper than just a box and I'm amazed at how slim it is.

I do think I'll have an OCD problem though. I'm going to be paranoid thinking my console is about to fall off the stand every time I take a quick glance at it.

plainr_

Faster than Xbox One

Faster memory than Xbox One

No power brick like Xbox One

Not reported to have heating issues like Xbox One

Smaller than Xbox One

Wtf are Microsoft's designers doing?

Wow. Is the size really confirmed to be smaller?

coldfoot

Banned
L shaped USB cables + that valley should make hiding USB cables much easier. Not that you'd have much of a reason to route it to the back though, since the camera has its own port in the back.

Looks like HDD might upgradable like PS3

9...6869069d_o.jpg

See the bottom
Due to size, you couldn't simply slide a drive in there. Look at the frontal picture using the disc slot as a measurement: the machine isn't thick enough to stand a drive in. But maybe it's access to screws that hold the HDD in? It could be laying horizontally, say to the right of the USB slots.

Or, crazier idea...a cover for some sort of expansion slot? I can't imagine what for, though.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't really think I like how it looks but maybe it looks better in person. It's just such a strange design. I thought the Xbone looked ugly from being too basic, but this is ugly from being too weird. I'll give it some time.

Mohonky

Looks like shit, it fits in with nothing home theatre related, looks like something you would see in an 80's sci-fi flick.

Mind you the PS1 wasn't great and the PS2 WAS horrible. PS3 original however was amazing.

Again, controller is the same basic design, aalways hated it. Uncomfortable and awkward stick placement.

Console looks aren't a big deal, the only thing that annoys me is I know I will already hate the controller but in the greater scheme of things, I will be skipping Xbone for PS4.

Satchel

Banned
USB ports on the front again?

Fucking hell. It looks ugly as fuck when you have USB shit sticking out of the front of a console. My silver PS3 is ruined by the USB cable from the PSEye sticking out it'll be he same for this one again. God damn it.

web01

What is the point of the slants wouldn't that make it more expensive to produce and give less space inside to mount parts.
Really feel indifferent to the design, do no love or hate it. Original PS3 was nicer launch design even if huge.

Top Bottom