• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Japan Launch Livestream 2/21 - guest creator appearances confirmed

GobFather

Went to Yodobashi Camera here in Fukuoka today during lunchtime and shelves are still full of launch day preorder systems. Also, after work, nobody in line or I just didn't see them. I would be actually surprised if the system sells well here.

Was your lunch at mid night and your work finished at 2am? 2 hours after your lunch?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah I'm fairly worried

What else did you expect when the Japanese devs allowed for such a piss poor lineup for launch.

They are lucky that Sega had the sense to make a PS4 version of Ishin. The Dynasty Warriors stuff wont have as much of an impact considering the game has already been out for the PS3 for a while. And the Nobunagas Ambition Creation is more of a niche title in the sense that its not exactly something that garners large numbers to be considered a system seller and also has a PS3 version.

Ishin is the only real JP title that could possibly move systems though its fighting with itself due to the PS3 version going on sale at the same time. Considering the PS4 does not have BC its not exactly a MUST BUY now moment kind of thing and folks wouldnt mind waiting considering how piss poor the lineup of games looks right now.

*Edit

Truthfully Sony Japan and the pubs / devs have themselves to blame for any sort of lack of hype with the initial launch. They literally have nothing that is done by a JP dev PS4 only that states YOU MUST HAVE THIS SYSTEM. Granted the game wasnt perfect in the West at least there was Killzone Shadowfall for example. But Japan they have cross platform titles which means its fighting with itself even more so for the ones that the games were initially released on the PS3 first. There really isnt anything here that says BUY ME currently. Even Metal Gear will be cross platform and that doesnt come out till later.

Tratorn

The people who think the PS4 is going to sell well (are there really many?), probably gonna be disappointed in 2-3 weeks. PS4 has only a good chance to sell well in the future if developers gonna make enough games for it even when it has low sales in the first year. If not then Sony can really be happy if they reach PS3-like sales in the end of its lifecycle.
But yes, the first few weeks will be much better (it'd be hard to not beat PS3-numbers).

What else did you expect when the Japanese devs allowed for such a piss poor lineup for launch.

They are lucky that Sega had the sense to make a PS4 version of Ishin. The Dynasty Warriors stuff wont have as much of an impact considering the game has already been out for the PS3 for a while. And the Nobunagas Ambition Creation is more of a niche title in the sense that its not exactly something that garners large numbers to be considered a system seller and also has a PS3 version.

Ishin is the only real JP title that could possibly move systems though its fighting with itself due to the PS3 version going on sale at the same time. Considering the PS4 does not have BC its not exactly a MUST BUY now moment kind of thing and folks wouldnt mind waiting considering how piss poor the lineup of games looks right now.

It saddens me that the PS4 will likely be relegated to irrelevancy pretty much within japan. Sure it will eventually get some of the same series as the PS3 but unless it's trajectory is much better than the PS3 I don't have that much hope for it there. At least the PS3 has BC initially

Justified

I was ready to blast the guy too, But I think he just worded the sentence wrong.

I *assume* he meant to say.

On Launch Day-eve:

He saw the pre-order consoles on the shelf during lunch (why would he add still? I have no clue)

Also after work he did not see a line (Im guessing how many of us in the states went to the Game Stop 6pm pre-launch festivities)

Im giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Tratorn

Why did five of the nine reviewers give only 1-star? Just fanboy-war or do they have good reasons?

Could someone translate some bits? :p

Parakeetman

It saddens me that the PS4 will likely be relegated to irrelevancy pretty much within japan. Sure it will eventually get some of the same series as the PS3 but unless it's trajectory is much better than the PS3 I don't have that much hope for it there. At least the PS3 has BC initially

Not exactly it will just have the slowest start out of all of the Sony systems including the handheld due to this fuckup.

The fact that its sold so well worldwide is fuel enough to get pubs to move on approving development budgets, but its just going to take a fucking long time. At least one upside is that the PS4 was designed with ease of development in mind so hopefully that will help out.

Another important question is how much is Sony charging companies for "renting" dev kits as that will be another hurdle to overcome which will control the floor of what kind of devs will be able to make things initially for the system itself. And thats in terms of funds available to "rent" these development kits. If its set too high its going to shut out a lot of the smaller studios which is what the system will also need if it wants to get as many titles as possible.

Justified

I don't think people do lineups for preorders lol maybe in Japan or New Zealand.

Releases... not preorders.

I can be wrong too.

We had a line in GA for the PS4 pre-order release. At 6pm you had to finalized to get a ticket for the order they handed them out. I was number 6

Parakeetman

Why are there five 1-star reviews? Just fanboy-war or do they have good reasons?

Could someone translate some bits? :p

Seriously you shouldnt have to ask why there are 5 1 star reviews as common sense should give you the answer. That and go use google translate.

grkazan12

At this point after reading that Kotaku article I'm excited to see what Japan Studio can bring to PS4. I hope that the new leadership under Allan Becker can actually bring some more games to PS4. I feel Rain and Pupeteer were a good start and they came at the tail end of the PS3s life.

Excited to see that they have some focus at the start of the PS4 lifespan and what could come from it.

Tratorn

Seriously you shouldnt have to ask why there are 5 1 star reviews as common sense should give you the answer.

No, it doesn't have to be just because of fanboy-war. In the west there were also a lot of 1 star-reviews and many had a good reason because of the BLOD. But yes, i'll try google translate.

Parakeetman

No, it doesn't have to be fanboys. In the west there were also a lot of 1 star-reviews and many had a good reason because of the BLOD.

Obviously, but the question is how did they manage to get systems before the launch from amazon considering Ive never seen any delivery service deliver things at midnight.

Same goes for the post office if they ordered from Amazon marketplace where sellers do use the Japan post office.

Now unless someone here has actually gotten a PS4 from Amazon Japan at midnight Id have to find a lot of these "reviews" to be bullshit.

How can you shit on it for having no lines , when the stores don't open up until 7?

Am I missing something

People generally line up from the afternoon the day before. Ive seen it in the past personally for the JP N64 / PS2 / Xbox / PS3 / Xbox 360 / Wii launches. Though these days its a lot easier just to get your reservation done ahead of time and have a piece of paper that basically secures your right to get a system on launch day so its not like you really do need to wait in line unless you are one who likes doing that or is a WANT TO PLAY ASAP type of person.

I don't think people do lineups for preorders lol maybe in Japan or New Zealand.

Releases... not preorders.

I can be wrong too.
xtFux.jpg

mess

Obviously, but the question is how did they manage to get systems before the launch from amazon considering Ive never seen any delivery service deliver things at midnight.

Same goes for the post office if they ordered from Amazon marketplace where sellers do use the Japan post office.

Now unless someone here has actually gotten a PS4 from Amazon Japan at midnight Id have to find a lot of these "reviews" to be bullshit.

People generally line up from the afternoon the day before. Ive seen it in the past personally for the JP N64 / PS2 / Xbox / PS3 / Xbox 360 / Wii launches. Though these days its a lot easier just to get your reservation done ahead of time and have a piece of paper that basically secures your right to get a system on launch day so its not like you really do need to wait in line unless you are one who likes doing that or is a WANT TO PLAY ASAP type of person.

amazon's review system is all weird. you can sometime review things that aren't out yet. which is probaly why.

andycapps

Probably because there are normally lines for any popular gaming related things in Japan i.e. Pokemon, Monster Hunter, 3DS, Dragon Quest, etc.?

Eh, I wouldn't expect Pokemon or Monster Hunter lines for a home console in Japan, at this point. It should sell decently though.

Parakeetman

Indie legend. Britney would be proud.

Bu no really, it's 3am in Japan right now, we will probably see some lines around 8am.

At least its not snowing anymore. I remember the Wii launch had fucking rain and shit. That was irritating and yet still the lines were insanely long at Shinjuku from the night before launch.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Eh, I wouldn't expect Pokemon or Monster Hunter lines for a home console in Japan, at this point. It should sell decently though.

Well I wouldn't expect the same type of lines. But there are usually like the select hardcore that will still lineup.

No, it doesn't have to be just because of fanboy-war. In the west there were also a lot of 1 star-reviews and many had a good reason because of the BLOD. But yes, i'll try google translate.

I understand reviews based on build quality and complaints about BLOD, etc. but
all of the amazon.jp reviews basically say something like "graphics are not much better than PS3" or something pertaining to the software lineup (translation is rough). All very general and vague.

They could very all be legit. But it begs the question, why'd they buy the system in the first place if those are their complaints? I'm leaning toward fan boy fake reviews for these.

Seriously you shouldnt have to ask why there are 5 1 star reviews as common sense should give you the answer. That and go use google translate.
Google translate is pretty shit when it comes to Japanese most of the time. It's slightly better than the gibberish you get when you have an e-book conversion or OCR error.

Top Bottom