• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 leaking white stuff as well? (Pics inside)

jsip

Banned
If this PS4 was leaking liquid from the rear vents, why would there be residue on the 'AUX' port for the PS Camera as well as the lower rim before the vents?

Surely if something was leaking out it would only come from the vents?

I am also one whom had no idea about the Vapour Rub on a humidifier but it reminded me of something.
I recently took apart my YLoD PS3 and used a can of compressed air to clean the layers of dust whilst tearing it down, and I noticed once the can was nearly 'empty' there was a liquid coming out that left a white residue similar to the pattern found in this image;

88BFE4E8-4DFC-415F-B4F5-684CCC4EEA0F_zpsssanxyux.jpg

I'm not suggesting there is a link, but perhaps someone could shed some light on it. It is a strange occurrence and definitely something worth the discussion because it could be something serious. My PS4 looks fine but I will keep an eye on it. Mine is situated on a black glass shelf with sufficient space all around in, no humidifier/fans nearby but I will report here if it happens to mine.
If the vents are on the bottom, physics suggests hot vapor travels upwards. Not exactly difficult to understand if there is an issue. When you boil water, where does the steam travel - up or down?

TTSupra

Banned
Here is a pic of the side of the humidifier.

78CE95E1-B495-4781-93A0-C927914344C4_zps2zl7u421.jpg

I'm 100% sure thats what was causing it and I had no intentions of posting pictures to alarm anybody. Like I said before I only posted pictures after somebody posted the one from reddit. I'm not gonna dig through reddit either looking for the other post but if some other people are concerned about it, maybe you can ask him if he is using a humidifier also.

OMG Aero

As if you needed any further proof that the Wii U is not a next gen console, it is now the only one of the three that doesn't leak a mysterious liquid.
Come on Nintendo step it up.

Orbis

the OP is running a humidifier 8 hours a day. this is pretty obviously from hard water and/or the vicks rub
why are we even still discussing this?
i mean, christ, look at the pictures. how could that possibly be from "leaking liquid"? that doesn't even make sense
It definitely seems possible that this is the cause. The air coming from the PS4 seems quite hot; maybe someone should try blasting a small amount of thinly spread vicks rub with a hair dryer, on a similar material to see what happens.

Did we ever consider this a possible factor in the XB1 thread also? There have been like, 2 reports of this problem on the Xbox One so it could be the same thing.

EDIT:

I'm 100% sure thats what was causing it and I had no intentions of posting pictures to alarm anybody. Like I said before I only posted pictures after somebody posted the one from reddit. I'm not gonna dig through reddit either looking for the other post but if some other people are concerned about it, maybe you can ask him if he is using a humidifier also.
Well at least it's not the console! Fascinating stuff, it does seem quite similar to the Xbox One reports.

ViciousDS

Banned

/thread

move along problem solved.....for now

Hoo-doo

Banned

Case closed.

Don't put these things in the same room as your electronics, people.
I can only imagine the buildup of vaporub garbage inside on the cooling fan and heatsink.

Danlord

If the vents are on the bottom, physics suggests hot vapor travels upwards. Not exactly difficult to understand if there is an issue. When you boil water, where does the steam travel - up or down?

That is true, I think I made a small mistake in suggesting it's a liquid leaking, and not leaving the suggestion for it being a vapour leaking; my bad.

Still, is this situation isolated from the similar occurrence of the two Xbox One's reported, with only the similarity of them being a 'white' residue? Surely the humidifier and Vapour Rub are the causes of this, and not an inherent fault with that particular PS4?

Quick Edit:: Case closed it seems;

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Your PS4 is more important than breathing, mang.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This thread brings back memories. Whenever I was sick as a little kid my grandma would tell me to rub this stuff on my upper chest (my "pecho"). I remember the smell well, and combined with a humidifier in the room and a damp towel on my forehead, it puts modern medicine to shame.

2-Elizabeth_Fave_01.13.09_VICKS.jpg

Grandma medicine is best medicine.

GorillaJu

As I said in the other thread, ultrasonic humidifiers tend to create this problem, they release a very fine white powder that sits on glossy surfaces. I think this is a humidifier issue for the OP.

Edit: oh, confirmed above I see. Good. :)

Now switch to a different type of humidifier!

BadHand

Could Vicks be the source (sauce?) of everyone's unwanted creamy stains.

Why are people not noticing this on their TV's, toasters, laptops etc...

Saty

No, no, you don't understand. Every PS4 comes with based Cerny's bodily fluids in it. This is the air re-freshener used by the Gods. Explains all the Tub stuff.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
This. If it's a "COOL MIST" humidifer, that shit will leave a white, powdery residue all over the fucking place. I one running in my daughters room for a while. Everything had a chalky white substance all over it.

exactly this. i was listening to a podcast where a guy mentioned the same exact thing happening to his xbox one.

khaaan

I wonder...

When I bought my PS3 last year there was also a similar white powder on it, particularly on the controller. I didn't think too much of it because I wiped it off with my finger and the console ran fine. I just assumed it was because that specific PS3 may have been sitting on the shelf for a while and the white stuff was from the cardboard that held the console in place. Maybe I should open it up and see if it has anything similar.

LOL, the humidifier we have is made for the Vicks Rub. Its not like we randomly put it in it for the hell of it. Like I said I have already moved it to a different room and I am not concerned at all over it. We have the ceiling fan that runs full blast and a box fan that runs full blast along with the humidifier so I'm sure the shit gets all over the room very easily.

And just for fun, I gave my wife some extra sauce the other night for buying that humidifier.

Edit: The only reason I posted pictures was because somebody else posted the same thing from Reddit and wanted to see if it was similar with mine.

Looks like residue from your vaporizer. You'll get that kind of residue from continual use of any vaporizer, but certainly the addition on Vicks would cause even more.

Actually, Vicks Vapo Rub is not made for ANY humidifier. They haven't recommended that usage for many years, since the product is quite dangerous when heated.

Read your tub of Vicks. It clearly states:

When using this product do not:
  • heat
  • microwave
  • add to hot water or any container where heating water

They do make an additive product for humidifiers called Vapo Steam. That will probably work better for you if you with less airborne residue getting all over the place, if you feel like it does you any good. Though you'll probably get better results though just putting a dab of the Vapo Rub under your nose, (on your upper lip, not inside your nostrils) and breathing that to open up your nasal passages.

oneils

Thanks. Yeah it looks like people ran with it and are taking it too far. You were pretty transparent from the beginning.

Could both issue be some kind of coating on the plastic cases that reacts with normal moister in the air? I have seen clear plastics in the past get a cloudy appearance because of this and it was the coating on the plastic.

Cth

No, no, you don't understand. Every PS4 comes with based Cerny's bodily fluids in it. This is the air re-freshener used by the Gods. Explains all the Tub stuff.

Shoulda sent in these guys to clean up that disgusting soap scum residue from the tub!

Scrubbing_bubbles_home_logo2.png

system11

Kind of obvious this would happen really ;) All that stuff is floating around in your air due to the humidifier - the PS4 runs pretty warm and dries that air out. If you have anything else in there which pushes air through and runs hot it will probably be doing the same thing (amusingly acting like a very expensive dehumidifier without a filter).

Now that you've seen it, do you want to be breathing it?

Top Bottom