• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 leaking white stuff as well? (Pics inside)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Love the differences between threads. Xone thread is talking about it as a disaster and blaming microsoft, where this thread is blaming the users of the ps4.

Dr Dogg

You know what I'm going to hazard a guess this is down to something like cheap no clean solder flux or other pcb assembly quibbles. I used to have a VCR that did the same thing years ago.

Replicant

Love the differences between threads. Xone thread is talking about it as a disaster and blaming microsoft, where this thread is blaming the users of the ps4.

That's because in this case, the user is the one who caused it by using vicks vaporub on air humidifier. There's even picture of the humidifier suffering from the same white stuff.

Yup. It's threads like this that really show the hatred that some people hold for Microsoft.

iceatcs

Oh wow, it is actually happened to me while ago, inside my computer. Yeah it was humidifier cause the problem.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That's because in this case, the user is the one who caused it by using vicks vaporub on air humidifier. There's even picture of the humidifier suffering from the same white stuff.

Can't let facts get in the way of a persecution complex now, geeze.

I can only half blame you for saying this. The op and thread title aren't updated for accuracy.
I'm not sure what the Xboxone story is, but the PS4 is not leaking anything.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
no facts allowed !

Can't let facts get in the way of a persecution complex now, geeze.

I can only half blame you for saying this. The op and thread title aren't updated for accuracy.
I'm not sure what the Xboxone story is, but the PS4 is not leaking anything.

Lol ok, and we know for a fact that the users of the xboxs weren't doing something similar? Maybe they spilled something? I'm just saying the first two pages are a stark contrast. Don't get me wrong I just find the biased on forums funny these days. I'm biased myself I can't help, but have some loyalty towards sony, but lets wait and see on some of this stuff.

edit- btw around 06-07 it was the complete opposite when anything negative came out about Sony it was devastating, and anything negative on 360 it was spun.

Lol ok, and we know for a fact that the users of the xboxs weren't doing something similar? Maybe they spilled something? I'm just saying the first two pages are a stark contrast. Don't get me wrong I just find the biased on forums funny these days. I'm biased myself I can't help, but have some loyalty towards sony, but lets wait and see on some of this stuff.

There's a difference between what if and a guy confirming something. What if those xboxes got visited by aliens and they left their goo.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
There's a difference between what if and a guy confirming something. What if those xboxes got visited by aliens and they left their goo.

Ok I get that, but there was nothing concrete in any thread. Immediately on the first xbone page people were claiming a disaster of massive proportions.

The difference is the vicks vapor rub, you can't really blame Sony for the vicks vapor rub, unless all PS4s come with vicks vapor rub.

edit- btw around 06-07 it was the complete opposite when anything negative came out about Sony it was devastating, and anything negative on 360 it was spun.
I'm not here for any bias. I think fanboyism is silly as fuck. I rather see gamers act like consumers.
You seem needlessly defensive imo.

Jburton

Banned
Ok I get that, but there was nothing concrete in any thread. Immediately on the first xbone page people were claiming a disaster of massive proportions.

So your problem should be with individual users, not making judgement calls on the whole forum.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm surprised so many people don't know about putting vicks or menthol in a humidifier...

It appears as if the ps4 runs the fan on very low when it's in sleep mode, which would cause this more then previous consoles which don't move any air when off or in sleep mode.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So your problem should be with individual users, not making judgement calls on the whole forum.

Did I call out the whole forum? Did I even call out any specific forum? Bias has been there since day 1 whether one way or the other. It's nice being on the other side, but it can also be a little bit much.

It's not the PS4 its most likely the humidifier otherwise there would be widespread reports from everywhere. And to the people chiming in "glad I didn't buy a PS4" please stick to the xbox topics instead of trying to bring unwarranted negativity to what's essentially a non issue. Don't like Sony or the PS4 fine don't buy it. But chiming in that you didn't buy one brings nothing to the topic at hand.

if this is an overheating issue, shouldn't the 'red line of rest' prevent it? does the xbox one have a similar fail-safe feature?

televator

I was soooo tempted. I almost gave in, but I resisted the urge to buy a launch console. I see I made the right choice.

Launch buyers = unpaid beta testers

Even worse, you pay them.

Edit: Oh, it's vapor rub. lol!

Still I'm weary. The PS3 I bought 5 months after launch didn't YLOD until just after the warantee was up.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now

This is more the 360 on the amp RROD thread, heh. At least the original guy posting it admitted to his humidifier being the most likely cause.

I was soooo tempted. I almost gave in, but I resisted the urge to buy a launch console. I see I made the right choice.

Do you have a Vicks vaporub humidifier too? If not I don't see how this particular issue should concern you.

in the XB1 thread we had reason to believe it was failed capacitors/heatpipes - oozy/oily residue etc.

in this thread we know he was using a humidifier, he rubbed it off easily which means it's a small deposit and the location as well as nature of the deposits means it's very unlikely to be an issue with the hardware

use your head

BLKTMNT

Homer-Simpson-Makes-Ceral-goes-on-fire.gif

Jburton

Banned

Edit: Oh, it's vapor rub. lol!

Still I'm weary. The PS3 I bought 5 months after launch didn't YLOD until just after the warantee was up.

And with out people prepared to buy at launch, none of these products would ever get off the ground ...... they would fail right out the gate if everyone was as gutless as you.

From those who ever bought any console at launch, your welcome.

BPoole

Both of the next gen consoles are creaming their pants for no reason. Out of curiousity, do you have the PS4 camera?

breakfuss

And with out people prepared to buy at launch, none of these products would ever get off the ground ...... they would fail right out the gate if everyone was as gutless as you.

From those who ever bought any console at launch, your welcome.

Or, they could simply release products that worked properly at launch so it wouldn't require an act of valor to buy in? Sort of how Nintendo and Apple still manage to do.

statham

in the XB1 thread we had reason to believe it was failed capacitors/heatpipes - oozy/oily residue etc.

in this thread we know he was using a humidifier, he rubbed it off easily which means it's a small deposit and the location as well as nature of the deposits means it's very unlikely to be an issue with the hardware

use your head

I think its the tone of the threads, vapor rub doesn't explain the first one yet, and that is probably the same issue with XBO, one people look a a realistic explanation and the other is Microsoft fucked up again.

Jburton

Banned
Or, they could simply release products that worked properly at launch so it wouldn't be an actor of valor to buy in? Sort of how Nintendo and Apple still manage to do.

So nothing made by Apple or Nintendo ever fails? .......... lol.

Mass produced anything has an inherent failure rate, get with the real world bub.

breakfuss

So nothing made by Apple or Nintendo ever fails? .......... lol.

Mass produced anything has an inherent failure rate, get with the real world bub.

All I know is that I've never had a Nintendo or Apple product fail on me. I've had two Sony 3D displays go bad and we all know about the 360 and PS3 debacles.

Jburton

Banned
All I know is that I've never had a Nintendo or Apple product fail on me. I've had two Sony 3D displays go bad and we all know about the 360 and PS3 debacles.

Anecdotal evidence does not reflect the truth of the matter, all mass produced items have inherent failure rates.

I remember the Wii U issue of some bricking or controllers not working / syncing out of the box and plenty of people have suffered dead Apple products.

Your experiences form your bias, and not an accurate reflection of the truth.

Top Bottom