• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro boxes getting prepped

HeelPower

Man this thing leaves the Slim version in the dust.

Don't understand why anyone would opt for a slim over this beautiful beast!

Now we need to see the new cases of upcoming games with this label:

XZS3dTKGsgPvJc44nfMRcg-650-80.png

Seeing that box in a store means the console is already ready and available in stores. Why do we need more days to wait? Do they need to supply all stores allover the world before the announced date?

Lost most of my interest when Sony said unless a game is specifically running in PS 4 Pro mode, it will run exactly the same as PS4. No hidden minor speed ups or anything, and I have a feeling once the initial hype wears down most devs won't even bother making a PS4 Pro executable, just let it run the PS4 version.

If gamestop / best buy run a good trade in promo I'd go for it, like two years ago Sony and Microsoft both ponied up an extra $100 for trading in a 360/ps3 but I have a feeling that isn't happening this time around.

I don't know why it's showing like that on the website. Boxes are just region appropriate, which is why you can't rely on those. If you were to check an UK box, it'd show a different voltage than the one for US etc. You have to check the power supply inside. But I've used one in three different continents. You don't have to worry; it works fine.

Are you importing? Or do you travel with it or something?

Importing, but I'll need to be able to use it in whatever random country I end up living in late next year too(which I won't know til closer to the date).

I have a friend visiting in early December so I'm going to buy on Amazon and have it sent to him.

I'm just going to order on your recommendation.

The things we do for games =)

Thanks again.

Dynomutt

Seeing that box in a store means the console is already ready and available in stores. Why do we need more days to wait? Do they need to supply all stores allover the world before the announced date?

What? Could be a floor display box/materials?

Edit: Touche! Foot in mouth! I think I S/N on the bottom!

KZObsessed

I was gonna put off buying this until Horizon Zero Dawn.

But having waited 10 years for Final Fantasy XV, I want to experience it at its best.

Shihon

Maybe I'm dead inside but seeing the PS4 Pro box does nothing for me,more power to the people it does effect though.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Buy a ps4 slim now or wait for ps4 pro. I only have a 32 inch 720p tv...
You wont really benefit much from the pro. And you can probably catch a good deal on a OG ps4 or slim. (Assuming you dont own a ps4 at all) But if you did buy a pro at least you should be future proofed for your future tv upgrade.

yes.

It wouldnt be fair if only one best buy in your city got shipment while the other dozen stores have to wait until their mailman drops off their pros.

Or if one state on the west coast got the console and another state on the east coast had to wait.

Radec

Buy a ps4 slim now or wait for ps4 pro. I only have a 32 inch 720p tv...

If you can easily shell out another $100 the go with the pro.

I mean 3 > 2 layers of ps4 cake.

Its easier to print and cut boxes.

And they are releasing it to other countries at the same day as well.

When I preordered it was all about playing the definitive BF1 version on consoles. Now that it's near all I care about is the PSVR benefits. Can't wait!

Lost most of my interest when Sony said unless a game is specifically running in PS 4 Pro mode, it will run exactly the same as PS4. No hidden minor speed ups or anything, and I have a feeling once the initial hype wears down most devs won't even bother making a PS4 Pro executable, just let it run the PS4 version.

If gamestop / best buy run a good trade in promo I'd go for it, like two years ago Sony and Microsoft both ponied up an extra $100 for trading in a 360/ps3 but I have a feeling that isn't happening this time around.

There is almost zero chance of this happening. It would have to be a colossal commercial failure.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Soon you'll be able to retire from what seems like a nearly full time job of explaining what the thing does. (hopefully anyway)

Fair play.

I think I recall you saying that you weren't buying one but Sony should certainly give you one for all your efforts.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Eheh, well i am not really interested in Pro, but i have figured that i'd buy one regardless if my current PS4 craps out, which is unlikely but hey. No point in not doing so if i have to rebuy a PS4 anyway right?

By that time, the Pro would have dropped in price, or the PS5(which i will buy day 1 anyway) already came out and made the Pro irrelevant.

Tagg9

The almost zero chance of this happening. It would have to be a colossal commercial failure.

Indeed. If any major upcoming AAA title for PS4 does not include a Pro upgrade, then the publisher for that game would be roasted alive by those who bought a PS4 Pro. Having to include a "Pro" mode is simply a reality for all games going forward.

HeelPower

By that time, the Pro would have dropped in price, or the PS5(which i will buy day 1 anyway) already came out and made the Pro irrelevant.

I wonder if ,depending on its success,the Pro might straddle along with decent downports of PS5 games.

That could happen at least for the first year or so of the PS5. Theoretically,this console could have a lot of longevity.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Eheh, well i am not really interested in Pro, but i have figured that i'd buy one regardless if my current PS4 craps out, which is unlikely but hey. No point in not doing so if i have to rebuy a PS4 anyway right?

I hear ya.

I feel it's not too expensive. It will be half off with what I get for my launch day PS4.

Also I don't maintain a PC anymore and with Microsoft doing their best to convince me not to spend money on Xbox I've spent very little on hardware recently. I'm due a purchase or at least that's what I've convinced myself. :D

Inuhanyou

Man this thing leaves the Slim version in the dust.

Don't understand why anyone would opt for a slim over this beautiful beast!

Especially at that price point, dunno what Sony was thinking with that, especially taking out optical audio.

That isn't exactly confirmed. Cerny clarified that what they did was basically emulate the original clock speeds of the OG PS4, which does not account for the actual architectural advantages of the GPU giving a passive upgrade to code.

MS said that their XBox S like solution was so minor they were not even going to originally mention it because they did not think it was a big deal.

I think that some suprises are still in store once the hardware is actually in the open.

Tagg9

Especially at that price point, dunno what Sony was thinking with that, especially taking out optical audio.

I think Sony will be able to dramatically cut the price during Boxing Day. I'm thinking $249 bundles, possibly even lower non-bundled. Whereas I don't expect to see the Pro discounted at all.

I wonder if ,depending on its success,the Pro might straddle along with decent downports of PS5 games.

That could happen at least for the first year or so of the PS5. Theoretically,this console could have a lot of longevity.

Cross-gen games between PS5 and PS4 Pro are very probable to happen.

Inuhanyou

I think instead of that, Sony will basically put a lot of effort into PS5 BC with PS4 and Pro, so devs can still focus on PS4/Pro ecosystem while still launching games that are relevant to PS5, you can play all the previous games on PS5(maybe even passively upgraded)

That way, they only have to focus on one version of the game, while the userbase for PS5 builds up, and Sony can also give the option for devs to exclusively focus on the PS5 hardware for bigger experiences.

Either way, i agree with your general concept that PS4/Pro and PS5 will have a cross generational period like normal.

Inuhanyou

Anything can change at the end of the gen.

I don't think that is really relevant to the conversation. PS4 and Pro are so relatively similar architecturally, and even power wise, that there is literally no excuse to not have games run on both versions of the PS4.

They made this pretty clear that this wont happen.

We will see. No one ever expected Sony to release a midgen console to start with, let alone a console that can run native 4K games. Now if the PS4 Pro sales are high enough and why not surpassing those of the regular PS4, Sony may consider crossgen ports of early PS5 games especially if the console has a big install base at that time and that the PS4 can't run a downported PS5 game. PS4 Pro is supposed to run.all regular PS4 games, and all PS4 games will be there for regular PS4 and PS4 pro, but nothing is said about the relation between PS5 games and regular PS4. So the PS4 Pro may benefit from that loophole in the rule.

sfedai0

Banned
I bought only a handful of games during the PS3 era, and would have picked up games towards the end of its lifecycle if it wasnt for all those remasters. Then I decided to just wait out for a PS4 refresh. My time has finally come. Cant wait to play some Last of Us!

dano1

A Sheep
Every time I see it, I'm re-surprised by how shit the design looks. Big Mac PS4 seems like the first thing you throw out during brainstorming before being scrapped immediately. Unfortunately, someone got their attachments fucked up and accidentally sent that design to the manufacturer.

Oh boy.

As long as the games look good it could look like a cheeseburger.

PepperedHam

I'm slightly confused by the comments regarding experiencing "FFXV at its best". I thought that wasn't getting a Pro patch out of the gate and that they would consider it down the line once everything is going smoothly post launch?

Experiences with FFXV won't be any different between the two systems next month, right?

Did I miss something else?

giphy.gif

I want it, but the only thing that annoyed me about buying my OG PS4 in the first week was missing out on beauties like the destiny, metal gear solid 5 or even the plain white models. I want special with an extra dose of special.

Top Bottom