• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro boxes getting prepped

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
All I said was that was he didn't completely dismiss the idea of it ever happening. It shouldn't and probably won't happen, but I thought it was worth noting.

Sorry. Its just a sore spot for me, such a thing happening would be very anti-consumer i think and would delegitimize PS4 purchasers, considering all the talk of the Pro not being a next generation unit, that survives off of the back of PS4's software output alone. That's without mentioning that the hardware isn't holding back PS Pro games from anything besides better graphics.

Isn't Sony already making decent profit on the OG model? The only way I could see a Slim revision being necessary is if the slim is bringing in more profits .

It's smaller and they removed some functionality. That was probably the only way to stay profitable with a $50 price cut.

acm2000

Nah. This is intended to be a middgen console in its entirety, and so it reflects that in its specs. Scorpio is launching an entire 12 months later, so them being compared as if they are launching at the same time is a bit strange.

Also, if they had waited any longer, the PS5's launch would have been pushed back significantly to compensate for the Pro's increase or they would have invalidated the point of the Pro entirely if they had stuck to their timetable.

Ps4 pro was quite clearly designed for psvr as ps4 isn't powerful enough for decent vr visuals/performance

Inuhanyou

Ps4 pro was quite clearly designed for psvr as ps4 isn't powerful enough for decent vr visuals/performance

So Sony designed an entire console SKU around a peripheral which they had no real way of knowing would even be a success in the first place 3 years ago? (which was the time Cerny said they started thinking about it Pro)

Cool story.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I really, really wish they released a white version simultaneously.

Love my white PS4 so I'm not upgrading for a black one. If they bring a white one out in spring I'm doomed to buy it, and then the 4K TV upgrade is inevitably next.

Nah. This is intended to be a middgen console in its entirety, and so it reflects that in its specs. Scorpio is launching an entire 12 months later, so them being compared as if they are launching at the same time is a bit strange.

Also, if they had waited any longer, the PS5's launch would have been pushed back significantly to compensate for the Pro's increase or they would have invalidated the point of the Pro entirely if they had stuck to their timetable.

If pro is clearly a mid-gen refresh, and Scorpio is out only 10-12 months later, why are people so convinced that Scorpio will be a reset button, next gen kind of thing?

Love my white PS4 so I'm not upgrading for a black one. If they bring a white one out in spring I'm doomed to buy it, and then the 4K TV upgrade is inevitably next.

If pro is clearly a mid-gen refresh, and Scorpio is out only 10-12 months later, why are people so convinced that Scorpio will be a reset button, next gen kind of thing?
You may be confusing the well-informed, sensible people with those who believe PS4 Pro/Scorpio are a reset button.

Both will do nothing* but render existing OG PS4/XB1 games in 4K.

(*+a lot of things)

pswii60

There seems to be an expectation that Scorpio will be a more radical change, with a new CPU, much more memory etc. The reality is, we don't know these things. We know it will have faster memory than XBO. But all they've said about the CPU is '8 cores', which could just mean an upclocked Jaguar too.

Mung

Is this parody of old posts? Psvr is out and the og ps4 copes very well in the majority of games. In fact, some humble pie needs to be eaten.

There seems to be an expectation that Scorpio will be a more radical change, with a new CPU, much more memory etc. The reality is, we don't know these things. We know it will have faster memory than XBO. But all they've said about the CPU is '8 cores', which could just mean an upclocked Jaguar too.
No matter how radical it is, it still won't do anything but render Xbox One games in 4k/1080p with some bells and whistles. Same with the Pro.
Let it be known that I am totally on board with that though. :)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Awww yeaa, almost time. Hype will kick in heavy in 6-7 days I suspect.
Cancelled my Amazon pre-order cause they were on that can't deliver on launch day bs and trying to get one during a midnight launch instead. Best Buy, don't fail me now.

Inuhanyou

Well most importantly, its because Xbox 1 itself is so anemic that the upgrade is far more drastic than the PS4's upgrade to Pro, which generally stretches the suspension of belief for some that games will be limited to XB1 levels where any other console in that realm of upgrade would be considered close to a new generational upgrade.

The Scorpio's GPU alone looks to be close to 6x more processing power than the XB1's GPU, not counting the 4 years worth of GPU architecture advancements from XB1 launch to Scorpio launch.

A potential Zen CPU enough would be worth a new gen console IMO, but 6tflops and 12GB ram at 320GB/s(the rumored basic specs) is pretty good too as an upgrade as well.

Compare that to PS4 to Pro's 1.84 tflop to 4.2(exactly 2x GPU) 30% CPU and 30% Bandwidth, and the differences are much more reserved from PS4 to Pro.

Of course, that makes sense with Sony's strategy. If Pro is a midgen upgrade, then the console they actually put effort into next(IE PS5) will be significantly stronger than base PS4,but with the addition of having its own library taking full advantage of the platform

My guess for PS5 has always been about 10tflops, 16GB RAM, 500+GB/s, and Zen.

Now, all that having been said, a lot of those rumors for Scorpio are still unconfirmed, especially the Zen CPU which has already been claimed by AMD itself to not be ready for console style integration until 2018, past the point Scorpio will be out in the wild. Having the same Jaguar CPU would essentially handicap the Scorpio significantly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I wonder if that is wishful thinking because it isn't out yet? Everyone wanted more of a CPU boost on pro for that fabled 60fps but it never came true. My sensible side thinks Scorpio will just be an Xbox one with a much faster GPU for XB1 games at 4K but with similar CPU limitations. Assuming they still go with an APU there isn't much alternative.

Well most importantly, its because Xbox 1 itself is so anemic that the upgrade is far more drastic than the PS4's upgrade to Pro, which generally stretches the suspension of belief for some that games will be limited to XB1 levels where any other console in that realm of upgrade would be considered close to a new generational upgrade.

The Scorpio's GPU alone looks to be close to 6x more processing power than the XB1's GPU, not counting the 4 years worth of GPU architecture advancements from XB1 launch to Scorpio launch.

A potential Zen CPU enough would be worth a new gen console IMO, but 6tflops and 12GB ram at 320GB/s(the rumored basic specs) is pretty good too as an upgrade as well.

Compare that to PS4 to Pro's 1.84 tflop to 4.2(exactly 2x GPU) 30% CPU and 30% Bandwidth, and the differences are much more reserved from PS4 to Pro.

Of course, that makes sense with Sony's strategy. If Pro is a midgen upgrade, then the console they actually put effort into next(IE PS5) will be significantly stronger than base PS4,but with the addition of having its own library taking full advantage of the platform

My guess for PS5 has always been about 10tflops, 16GB RAM, 500+GB/s, and Zen.

Now, all that having been said, a lot of those rumors for Scorpio are still unconfirmed, especially the Zen CPU which has already been claimed by AMD itself to not be ready for console style integration until 2018, past the point Scorpio will be out in the wild. Having the same Jaguar CPU would essentially handicap the Scorpio significantly.

What year do you see the PS5 launching? 10TF is a top of the line graphics card right now. Has to be at least 2 years, more like 3.

thelastword

Banned
Debating about changing my pre-order from Amazon to a walk-in store. Decisions!
Perhaps you're up for the spectacle of launch, better experienced in store..... where you see other persons similarly enthused...However, Amazon is so kosher with delivery that'd I\d rather go that route. I prefer it coming to me than going to them, but there are benefits on both sides tbh...

Anyways can't wait...My 4k screen awaits....We may have to setup a screenshot thread for 4k pics only btw....

Inuhanyou

What year do you see the PS5 launching? 10TF is a top of the line graphics card right now. Has to be at least 2 years, more like 3.

Since i've always assumed that Sony were going back to traditional length of console cycles(6 years or so) due to not blowing their budget on complex esoteric hardware like Cell, i assumed at the time the PS4 launched that PS5 would come in late 2019(or 2020, at the latest). I still stick by that.

That is why Pro as a mid gen upgrade makes sense to me time wise for launching this year. If the gen is 6 years, Sony are literally launching the mid gen console right in the middle of the gen.

Rolf NB

Because Microsoft's motivation in this is different. They haven't made the same commitment to forwards compatibility as Sony has. Why? Because they want the option to throw it under the bus if it gives them bragging rights faster, cheaper. That's what they need. They have a lot to prove. They need marketable showcases to win people over.

Jack cw

Sold my PS4 a couple of days ago and looking forward to the Pro. I still have a great 1080p TV and playing with native or downsampling should be worth it. At least this will be the first Sony console that I can get in store without camping 48h before.

Are they seriously doing the "supercharged" thing again? Lol.

Box looks pretty nice though. All PS4 boxes have a premium look to them.

I love how they perfectly explain the product in 4 bullet points when there were countless threads asking "How do you explain this product to casuals! Its so confusing!"

eFKac

Off-topic question: is that a good tv to take advantage of 4k+HDR gaming? It's very well priced for a 4K set with HDR, just wondering if I should consider it.

Yes it's a great Tv, at a great price.

We have a big thread on this model, check it out for info and impressions.

Ozorov

I wonder if my wife will notice that my PS4 has suddenly grown.

raw

Audiophile

Every time I see it, I'm re-surprised by how shit the design looks. Big Mac PS4 seems like the first thing you throw out during brainstorming before being scrapped immediately. Unfortunately, someone got their attachments fucked up and accidentally sent that design to the manufacturer.

If a little plain, I do find it looks better in person.

PS4-Pro-gallery-14.png

And I find the back a lot tidier!

29246763030_f532111608_z.jpg

Top Bottom