• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro boxes getting prepped

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm slightly confused by the comments regarding experiencing "FFXV at its best". I thought that wasn't getting a Pro patch out of the gate and that they would consider it down the line once everything is going smoothly post launch?

Experiences with FFXV won't be any different between the two systems next month, right?

Did I miss something else?

There is going to be a pro patch at launch for higher resolution support(whether that means checkerboard rendering from 1800p, a native 1080p lock or something else remains to be seen) and more stable FPS.

Tabata's statements were about doing MORE than that down the line to take better advantage of Pro's hardware.

dano1

A Sheep
Lost most of my interest when Sony said unless a game is specifically running in PS 4 Pro mode, it will run exactly the same as PS4. No hidden minor speed ups or anything, and I have a feeling once the initial hype wears down most devs won't even bother making a PS4 Pro executable, just let it run the PS4 version.

If gamestop / best buy run a good trade in promo I'd go for it, like two years ago Sony and Microsoft both ponied up an extra $100 for trading in a 360/ps3 but I have a feeling that isn't happening this time around.

Your a bit in the dark.
You might want to research before you post...

fbutron

So no game bundle?? D:

One with COD or WD2 would had helped...

That been said, I still have my preorder from Amazon since announced

No. They are architecturally nearly identical.

It ain't happening. Maybe a VR extra or something.

It just doesn't make sense.

Well both PS4 and PS3 had really very distinct architecture and hardware manufacturers but this didn't stop both having some crossgen titles.
Remember, a couple of years ago when, HDR, 4K console and native 4K games on consoles were just chimeras. Look what happened now.
This could be a similar case to when Sony made it clear that Sixaxis controller can't have Rumble Feedback under the pretext that it can cause interferences between the motion control and vibration motors. But after Sony did settle their difference with Immersion company, the rumble appeared like by magic in DualShock 3.

Imagine if Sony announced that they will launch a stronger midgen console, 3 years after the launch of the PS4, just before the release fo the latter. Such news would anger many customers and make them skip the PS4 and wait for PS4 Pro or not get any from the start. Now that 3 years have passed, no one could blame them, on the contrary, most of the customers are happy to upgrade. Now imagine that they announced that the PS4 Pro may have crossgen titles from PS5. The same could happen now, but in the future no one can blame them especially if the PS4 Pro has a great install base and that the PS4 proves to be completely obsolete in front of the new consoles.

Anyway, let us enjoy the PS4 Pro for the time being. It will be another story when the time comes.

Well both PS4 and PS3 had really very distinct architecture and hardware manufacturers but this didn't stop both having some crossgen titles.
Remember, a couple of years ago when, HDR, 4K console and native 4K games on consoles were just chimeras. Look what happened now.
This could be a similar case to when Sony made it clear that Sixaxis controller can't have Rumble Feedback under the pretext that it can cause interferences between the motion control and vibration motors. But after Sony did settle their difference with Immersion company, the rumble appeared like by magic in DualShock 3.

Imagine if Sony announced that they will launch a stronger midgen console, 3 years after the launch of the PS4, just before the release fo the latter. Such news would anger many customers and make them skip the PS4 and wait for PS4 Pro or not get any from the start. Now that 3 years have passed, no one could blame them, on the contrary, most of the customers are happy to upgrade. Now imagine that they announced that the PS4 Pro may have crossgen titles from PS5. The same could happen now, but in the future no one can blame them especially if the PS4 Pro has a great install base and that the PS4 proves to be completely obsolote in front of the new consoles.

Anyway, let us enjoy the PS4 Pro for the time being. It will be another story when the time comes.

Just to be clear I think there will be loads of cross gen games. More than there's ever been in any previous generation transition. I just think that they'll be on 4/pro/5.

Anyway, you're right. Let's enjoy the Pro for the time being. Can't wait for that new console smell =)

novabolt

Man this thing leaves the Slim version in the dust.

Don't understand why anyone would opt for a slim over this beautiful beast!

Totally agree, I still see the slim from Sony as a useless idea. The OG is doing just fine and it should've been left that way.

Or... the most logical reason is that MS got Sony shook.

DBT85

Totally agree, I still see the slim from Sony as a useless idea. The OG is doing just fine and it should've been left that way.

You release a smaller version because it saves money on manufacturing, storage, shipping and you still change the same for it, same as Sony has done now for every iteration of its consoles. Nobody is "shook".

PepperedHam

There is going to be a pro patch at launch for higher resolution support(whether that means checkerboard rendering from 1800p, a native 1080p lock or something else remains to be seen) and more stable FPS.

Tabata's statements were about doing MORE than that down the line to take better advantage of Pro's hardware.
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm absolutely dying to see what BF1's future looks like on a Pro. That's my defining moment as to whether or not I'm picking one up before I upgrade my TV. If they can get that game rocking better on the larger modes then I just might be all in sooner.

The Scorpio announcement? >_>

Anyway...ShopTo said they have them in stock and ready for dispatch. Come on...

The most logical reason, and the truth, is the Slim costs less to manufacture, package and ship than the OG.

Inuhanyou

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm absolutely dying to see what BF1's future looks like on a Pro. That's my defining moment as to whether or not I'm picking one up before I upgrade my TV. If they can get that game rocking better on the larger modes then I just might be all in sooner.

My guess is at minimum, the Pro game will have the PS4's graphical settings at locked 1080p and a more stable 60fps.

Neither console version as it stands now reaches native 1080p(XB1 closer to 720p and PS1 closer to 900p) and the framerates can be rough.

Just making a native 1080p presentation and a stable FPS would be enough for me IMO, the graphics themselves on console already look great enough, no need to upgrade any graphical presets.

crimilde

Banned
I'm very excited about getting it. I've got it preordered at a local retailer who will ship them on launch day. I especially can't wait to see how PSVR will fare compared to now.

acm2000

Can't help but feel they should've delayed this enough to make it a true 4k console and add uhd Blu-ray too, this machine is purely designed around the vr headsets realistic requirements but they've got till end of 2017 for microsofts response so plenty of time for a small delay unless next year we see an upgraded version of the pro? Ps4 pro slim? Now with uhd and 6tf!

I wonder if there'll be enough stock that you'll be able to do a walk-in on the morning of release and buy one then. Never really bought a console on launch before.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I wonder if there'll be enough stock that you'll be able to do a walk-in on the morning of release and buy one then. Never really bought a console on launch before.
I think so. I think it will sell well, but it would be smart for sony to keep the shelves well stocked with these until the xmas season is over with.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My white PS4 is pretty quiet but my original launch one wasn't. If I had a noisy one I'd almost be tempted to upgrade to pro as a 'quiet' PS4 even with just a 1080p TV. If it literally shuts down half the GPU for BC then I should run a lot cooler and therefore quieter

Macnair

It's two more weeks. I'd go with the pro

Buy a new TV dude.

I couldn't get over the jump in quality from a 2008 Sammy to a new (1080p) Sony. Definitely better than any difference between a 4 and a Pro.

You wont really benefit much from the pro. And you can probably catch a good deal on a OG ps4 or slim. (Assuming you dont own a ps4 at all) But if you did buy a pro at least you should be future proofed for your future tv upgrade.

If you can easily shell out another $100 the go with the pro.

I mean 3 > 2 layers of ps4 cake.

Thanks guys! My wife is going to kill me...

barit

Damn only need to get rid of my OG PS4 now and this beauty will be mine (with 10% employee discount *giggle*)

They made this pretty clear that this wont happen.

I saw a comment from Cerny recently that didn't completely rule it out and it was the first time I remember a bit of hedging on this issue. He was point blank asked if there could be Pro exclusive games in few years if a developer's game ambition was beyond the base PS4's capability. He did not just say this will NEVER happen. More like we strongly encourage devs. So unless he was misquoted.... I don't remember the source, but it was very recent.

Hype levels starting to rise, I've been without a PS4 for almost two months now and I'm dying to be able to play some of my games again!

Inuhanyou

Can't help but feel they should've delayed this enough to make it a true 4k console and add uhd Blu-ray too, this machine is purely designed around the vr headsets realistic requirements but they've got till end of 2017 for microsofts response so plenty of time for a small delay unless next year we see an upgraded version of the pro? Ps4 pro slim? Now with uhd and 6tf!

Nah. This is intended to be a middgen console in its entirety, and so it reflects that in its specs. Scorpio is launching an entire 12 months later, so them being compared as if they are launching at the same time is a bit strange.

Also, if they had waited any longer, the PS5's launch would have been pushed back significantly to compensate for the Pro's increase or they would have invalidated the point of the Pro entirely if they had stuck to their timetable.

Any idea on if I can take the 2TB hard drive I installed on my PS4 and put it in the pro? Would be a shame if I couldn't.

Playstation harddrives have to be reformatted when installed in a new console, meaning you'll lose your stuff. However it should not matter as your account will automatically keep track of all the important stuff by default, and you can also carry over everything directly via ethernet

I saw a comment from Cerny recently that didn't completely rule out and it was the first time I remember a bit of hedging on this issue. He was point blank asked if there could be Pro exclusive games in few year if a developer's game was beyond the base PS4's capability. He did not just say not this will NEVER happen. More like we strongly encourage devs. So unless he was misquoted.... I don't remember the source, but it was very recent.

All games must work between PS4 and Pro, the entire point of an iterative unit. I want to see where your source is.

There have been reports of some places recommending showing up way early due to high demand, but it's going to depend on your location.

Any idea on if I can take the 2TB hard drive I installed on my PS4 and put it in the pro? Would be a shame if I couldn't.

most likely yes but for warning you will need to redownload everything again also make sure you deactivate you normal ps4 as primary before removing the hdd and putting it in the pro.

I saw a comment from Cerny recently that didn't completely rule it out and it was the first time I remember a bit of hedging on this issue. He was point blank asked if there could be Pro exclusive games in few years if a developer's game ambition was beyond the base PS4's capability. He did not just say this will NEVER happen. More like we strongly encourage devs. So unless he was misquoted.... I don't remember the source, but it was very recent.

Would like to see the source. There really isn't a scenario where a game could run on the Pro and not on the base unit by just taking a hit to gfx and framerate. Bar a VR wildcard a dev would have to have some other reason to have it not run on a vanilla PS4.

Nah. This is intended to be a middgen console in its entirety, and so it reflects that in its specs. Scorpio is launching an entire 12 months later, so them being compared as if they are launching at the same time is a bit strange.

Also, if they had waited any longer, the PS5's launch would have been pushed back significantly to compensate for the Pro's increase or they would have invalidated the point of the Pro entirely if they had stuck to their timetable.

Playstation harddrives have to be reformatted when installed in a new console, meaning you'll lose your stuff. However it should not matter as your account will automatically keep track of all the important stuff by default, and you can also carry over everything directly via ethernet

All games must work between PS4 and Pro, the entire point of an iterative unit. I want to see where your source is.

This is NOT the the site I originally saw the statement from, but they paraphrase his comment. I saw it as a direct answer from him. It's probably on dozens of sites in some form.

Waiting For PS4 Pro Exclusive Might Take A Very Long Time

As a new console, we are all curious whether there will be exclusive games for the PS4 Pro. Cerny bluntly answered that they do not want to split the user base and that doing so is their highest priority at the moment. Cerny remarked that maybe in the future, PS4 Pro-exclusive games might come out of the market but not right now. They want to avoid titles that can be played on the PS4 Pro and not on the PS4 and vice versa.

Unless he is misquoted that is hedging.

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/44748/20161021/mark-cerny-reveals-everything-you-need-to-know-about-sony-playstation-4-pro.htm

Just google Mark Cerny PS4 Pro exclusives...that is how I found this random article whose writer apparently read the same interview that I did.

jobrro

Really disappointing there is no 4K Blu-ray, even see them explicitly state it on the box. However this box promises some high IQ. Love me some high IQ. I would take 1080p with some AA over too many high rendering cost effects and 900p any day. PS2 and Wii games even look wonderful on emulators with a high internal resolution.

I had a PC with a mid range graphics card towards the end of the PS360 gen, it would do PS360 games at 1080p comfortably. This made me vastly prefer my PC when the consoles were only putting out 720p and 30fps at best. I could deal with it for exclusives but it certainly wasn't ideal. I still would like the console experience though. The PS4 Pro scratches this itch. If a PS3 Pro or a proper Xbox 360 Elite (not only a larger HDD) would have come out I would have liked it back then, like I like it now.

Combined with PSVR enhancements I am excited for this console.

Inuhanyou

This is NOT the the site I originally saw the statement from, but they paraphrase his comment. I saw it as a direct answer from him. It's probably on dozens of sites in some form.

Unless he is misquoted that is hedging.

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/44748/20161021/mark-cerny-reveals-everything-you-need-to-know-about-sony-playstation-4-pro.htm

Just google Mark Cerny PS4 Pro exclusives...that is how I found this random article whose writer apparently read the same interview that I did.

That is not a direct quote.

In general, that sounds like a general future proofing measure to deflect from cover for anything Sony might do in the future. But the most important thing is that he apparently straight out says that they don't want to split the player base and the priority is for PS4 pro games to be fully compatible with PS4. So i see no reason why that would be any different in the future than right now given the hardware disparity is not that big.

That is not a direct quote.

In general, that sounds like a general future proofing measure to deflect from cover for anything Sony might do in the future, but in general, the most important thing is that he apparently straight out says that they don't want to split the player base and the priority is for PS4 pro games to be fully compatible with PS4. So i see no reason why that would be any different in the future than right now given the hardware disparity is not that big.

All I said was that was he didn't completely dismiss the idea of it ever happening. It shouldn't and probably won't happen, but I thought it was worth noting.

What is everyone's first Pro game going to be?

Probably Final Fantasy XV or one of the new Fall shooters(Battlefield 1) for me.

My tipping point might be drastic differences in final fantasy 15 at 1080p.

Otherwise as a 1080p person who already opened up my ps4 to replace thermal paste and dust so it's quiet and has no issues, I have no need for it.

novabolt

You release a smaller version because it saves money on manufacturing, storage, shipping and you still change the same for it, same as Sony has done now for every iteration of its consoles. Nobody is "shook".

The Scorpio announcement? >_>

Anyway...ShopTo said they have them in stock and ready for dispatch. Come on...

The most logical reason, and the truth, is the Slim costs less to manufacture, package and ship than the OG.

Isn't Sony already making decent profit on the OG model? The only way I could see a Slim revision being necessary is if the slim is bringing in more profits (I wouldn't be surprised if it is). Anyway, I guess the S being more attractive than the XB1, I thought the SLIM PS4 would have followed the same suit.

Also, the "MS got Sony shook" line was just jest. Some of you guys.......

Top Bottom