• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro boxes getting prepped

It's a little concerning how big this thing is. I'll have to measure up my console cabinet again.

I have a launch PS4. When you add up the cables sticking out the back and the USB in use at the front it barely fits. On the PS4 Pro I can use the rear USB and the ports aren't aligned with the back of the console, so it might work out even!

I have one preordered but I'm also very concerned that it's not going to fit. It's going to look stupid being sideways in the cabinet but it'll have to be

jett

D-Member
What is there to say about 4K gaming? Did the older model mention the resolutions of games on the box? That's a genuine question, maybe it did mention it but it just seems to be a strange thing to mention on the outside of the box.

Their entire messaging at the reveal press conference hinged on 4K gaming, and here they barely mention it at all. Now they just use more nebulous descriptions for the increase in graphics quality. Thought it was curious, that's all.

Ozorov

I have one preordered but I'm also very concerned that it's not going to fit. It's going to look stupid being sideways in the cabinet but it'll have to be

The dimensions are official so I guess you can measure it.

Approx. 295×55×327 mm (width × height × length)

Literally can't wait to get it. I've been PS4-less for the past 3 weeks :(
Same here brother, though I figured it was also the perfect excuse to break from video games since I wasn't enjoying them for quite some time. I'm also gonna hold out till Black Friday in hopes of a bunduru.

onQ123

If pro is clearly a mid-gen refresh, and Scorpio is out only 10-12 months later, why are people so convinced that Scorpio will be a reset button, next gen kind of thing?

I'm not sure why because it has been explained over & over again that Scorpio is still a Xbox One like PS4 Pro is still a PS4. the only real differences is that Xbox One's are also windows devices & over time there might be apps & games made on the UWP side that Xbox One standard model might not be able to run like the VR games & apps but I still think a few VR games/apps will also work on the normal Xbox One.

onQ123

Well most importantly, its because Xbox 1 itself is so anemic that the upgrade is far more drastic than the PS4's upgrade to Pro, which generally stretches the suspension of belief for some that games will be limited to XB1 levels where any other console in that realm of upgrade would be considered close to a new generational upgrade.

The Scorpio's GPU alone looks to be close to 6x more processing power than the XB1's GPU, not counting the 4 years worth of GPU architecture advancements from XB1 launch to Scorpio launch.

A potential Zen CPU enough would be worth a new gen console IMO, but 6tflops and 12GB ram at 320GB/s(the rumored basic specs) is pretty good too as an upgrade as well.

Compare that to PS4 to Pro's 1.84 tflop to 4.2(exactly 2x GPU) 30% CPU and 30% Bandwidth, and the differences are much more reserved from PS4 to Pro.

Of course, that makes sense with Sony's strategy. If Pro is a midgen upgrade, then the console they actually put effort into next(IE PS5) will be significantly stronger than base PS4,but with the addition of having its own library taking full advantage of the platform

My guess for PS5 has always been about 10tflops, 16GB RAM, 500+GB/s, and Zen.

Now, all that having been said, a lot of those rumors for Scorpio are still unconfirmed, especially the Zen CPU which has already been claimed by AMD itself to not be ready for console style integration until 2018, past the point Scorpio will be out in the wild. Having the same Jaguar CPU would essentially handicap the Scorpio significantly.

So much bad math in this post

Dammit...I was totally not interested in buying one of these, as I'm happy with my current PS4, but for some reason thread like this crank up the consumer in me =). Maybe if I happen to see one on the shelf, we'll see what happens...

■ Enhanced gameplay - Support for faster frame rates delivers super-sharp action.

Glad to see 'em pushing this on the box. Please deliver, Devs - ambitious games like BF1 deserve a definitive, smooth running console version. Framerate > Faux K

Same here, I'm glad they're making the connection that higher framerate = enhanced gameplay. Far too many people mistake it for a pure graphical setting.

karma2578

Dammit...I was totally not interested in buying one of these, as I'm happy with my current PS4, but for some reason thread like this crank up the consumer in me =). Maybe if I happen to see one on the shelf, we'll see what happens...

it's when new consoles start shipping or boxes hitting the stores that the fever sets in

specdot

Debating about changing my pre-order from Amazon to a walk-in store. Decisions!
Walk-in. With a pair of shades on (at night), with a pair of fancy white gloves, and a baller-ass fur coat and pay in all 10 dollar bills. You don't want the store staff to count a bunch of singles, you're not a monster or anything like that. =p

Bolivar687

Banned
All in the name of delusion.

I hope this isn't what implodes the dilapidated building that is the console games industry.

onQ123

Same here, I'm glad they're making the connection that framerate = enhanced gameplay. Far too many people mistake it for a pure graphical setting.

Frame rate is a big deal for motion controls & VR so more games should benefit from them focusing on frame rate more going forward.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So much bad math in this post

I don't need criticism about bad math from the next jeff, thank you. I'm not exactly what sure what math your actually even referring to, since i was just rounding to begin with.

Em. 1.84 x 2 is 3.68

I got confused with the CU count, which would have otherwise made it exactly double had the GPU been clocked at PS4 level(800MHZ)

I meant to say 2.23x

But my point is the same. Around double the GPU around 30% for the memory bandwidth and CPU overclock.

I don't need criticism about bad math from the next jeff, thank you. I'm not exactly what sure what math your actually even referring to, since i was just rounding to begin with.

I got confused with the CU count, which would have otherwise made it exactly double had the GPU been clocked at PS4 level(800MHZ)

I meant to say 2.23x

But my point is the same. Around double the GPU around 30% for the memory bandwidth and CPU overclock.

Noooooooo!

'The next Jeff Rigby' is totally uncalled for, as was his bad math remark (though there was some bad math in there :).

We're all excited for PS4P, let's keep it nice.

Stoffinator

I need to get a new tv, my Plasma just bit the dust. But have no idea which TV out there supports the HDR 4K content required for systems like the Pro and Xbox One S. And prices here in Canada are pretty high. So hoping closer to Christmas tv will go on sale. Like when I bought my Plasma a few years back.

I meant to say 2.23x

Yeah it's not a big deal...

Still I think some of our expectations are too high, and we are exaggerating how much different X2 is gonna be than Pro. The next Xbox seems to me a Pro just released later so some better specs go into the box. Real world difference, especially with both encouraging 4K res won't be much different, and first party titles will be comparable.

I don't see anything blowing away Horizon or Spider-Man and I think after Xbox fans upgrade, MS will find themselves in the same situation. A little boost for U.S and U.K. And not much else

tusken77

That's a tasty sandwich.

mzJ3k.gif

Still debating which to get first - Pro or PSVR.

My PSVR is ready for the Big Mac PS4 baby

fIIP9RN.png

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
'If your product is not working properly, do not return it to the store you purchased it from contact support'

Erm, is this a US of A thing?

Cos in the UK, (even in its supposed death throes of brexit) if that shit dont work outta the box, it goes straight back to the store for a replacement or a refund.

onQ123

I meant to say 2.23x

I'm the next Jeff but I was right ok. & the bad math was the 4.2TF being exactly 2X 1.84TF & 6TF being 6X 1.31TF.

I don't expect the PS5 before 2019. So 2 years after Scorpio. The question then would be when do MS do their next iteration.
Huh, so would MS be ready to release the next Xbox 2 years after Scorpio? I wonder what impact the Scorpio has on that sort of thing. As others have pointed out, it would be in MS' best interests to release around the same time as Sony because of the overlap between their systems. I think Sony should continue releasing around the same time as well but they would be able to better manage if they did release afterward.

Same as it is now? But there will undoubtedly be Horizon bundles.

I was hoping for a bit of a price reduction. Im already putting by £50 a month for the Pro and Scorpio but I was hoping we might have got £50 off a bundled Pro, wishful thinking I know :)

Wasn't it said at PS4 Pro introduction time that multiplayer games will not be allowed to have a different PS4 Pro mode for online matches, to not give certain players an advantage over PS4 users?

ie no PS4 Pro patch to give more FPS or better screen res for Destiny PVP, BF1 mp, COD mp, Titanfall mp, etc. I guess they could patch in the single player campaign to have better AA, textures, FPS, etc but I really wonder how many will bother doing much with that.

Whole thing is kinda weird to me anyways since they don't mind people using kb+m on console, and PC gamers are pretty used to some people running extreme configs (150+ fps, SLI, special kb+m combos, etc) and its never been an issue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was hoping for a bit of a price reduction. Im already putting by £50 a month for the Pro and Scorpio but I was hoping we might have got £50 off a bundled Pro, wishful thinking I know :)

Unlikely to get a price reduction so soon after launch. Might even get a price increase if the exchange rate continues to slide

Kitoro

Are there any special edition versions planned for this holiday? Seeing as I am content with my launch PS4, I'm going to wait for a special edition Pro.

Also, is having two PS4s in different rooms of the house a seamless experience with cloud saves, basically? Thanks!

icespide

Banned
Wasn't it said at PS4 Pro introduction time that multiplayer games will not be allowed to have a different PS4 Pro mode for online matches, to not give certain players an advantage over PS4 users?

ie no PS4 Pro patch to give more FPS or better screen res for Destiny PVP, BF1 mp, COD mp, Titanfall mp, etc. I guess they could patch in the single player campaign to have better AA, textures, FPS, etc but I really wonder how many will bother doing much with that.

Whole thing is kinda weird to me anyways since they don't mind people using kb+m on console, and PC gamers are pretty used to some people running extreme configs (150+ fps, SLI, special kb+m combos, etc) and its never been an issue.

this is not true. multiplayer games can have Pro modes and even enhancements. what they can't do is target higher framerates than the standard version. So if the standard is targeting 30fps, the Pro version must target 30fps as well.

Ozorov

They can't go from 30 fps to 60 fps. But they can make the frame rate more stable in BF1 for example. I think we will know next week for sure how they will do with the multiplayer-stuff.

Tripolygon

Banned

I meant to say 2.23x

Your math was not just off, it was wayyyy off. You might not like that this criticism is coming from onQ but that does not make him jeff Rigby. He was rightly pointing out your mistake.

You said Scorpio looks to be 6 times Xbox One (6 x 1.31= 7.86) this would put Scorpio at roughly 8TF

You said PS4 pro was exactly 2X PS4 (2 x 1.84 = 3.68). PS4 Pro is ~4.2TF
Noooooooo!

'The next Jeff Rigby' is totally uncalled for, as was his bad math remark (though there was some bad math in there :).

We're all excited for PS4P, let's keep it nice.
Please explain, you can't call out someone's mistake?

Top Bottom