• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

So by the end of the year, it will beat Wii U's LTD?

Well if the Wii U has 1.6 and we assume it pushes past 2mil with a HUGE christmas boost (which would be by far the biggest xmas boost in a second year ever, but let's be generous because Mario 3d Land looks amazing)... then Sony have gotten to 1/2 of that number on day one.

I think it is fair to say that Sony have begun this generation far far better than the last.

Well if the Wii U has 1.6 and we assume it pushes past 2mil with a HUGE christmas boost (which would be by far the biggest xmas boost in a second year ever, but let's be generous because Mario 3d Land looks amazing)... then Sony have gotten to 1/2 of that number on day one.

I think it is fair to say that Sony have begun this generation far far better than the last.

The Wii U was at 1.75m in the Americas as of 9/30.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1309.pdf

The console within 24 hours of its launch is already in the SEVEN digit range.

KuGsj.gif

Goddamn

SentryDown

Not sure about Wii/3DS launch but it's a very impressive launch. PS2 sold 500k in its first 24 hours, PS3 250 if I remember well, 360 was like 330k in its first week but there were a very small amount available, WiiU was more 425k in its first NA week and Vita 160k in the same period.

So yes, it's a pretty good start, hope it will sell fine in EU either and that Christmas/Black Friday will increase that crazy number even more !

JP

I don't really care about sales numbers but it will be quite interesting to see how Microsoft compare in their home territory. I'd imagine even if Microsoft outsold them in the US they could still see it as a win due to how strong the Xbox is in it's home territory.

Europe will be quite interesting too, although it's largely Sony's territory they are a week later so I think it's going to be as simple as some people just not wanting to wait another week.

Japan/Asia isn't even worth thinking about, Sony could release 12 months after Microsoft and still outsell them 10-1 without even trying.

Just for reference vs the Nintendo Wii (according to Wikipedia): On November 28, 2006, Nintendo reported that it had sold over 600,000 consoles in the first eight days of launch in the Americas

Darryl

Banned
Why the hell does this launch seem so muted from a media buzz perspective? Sony/PS4 is popping off right now.

there isn't much for a lot of outlets to report on. video games in general aren't that controversial anymore. stuff like grand theft auto v gets a lot of coverage because of the subject matter it deals with

boyshine

Too bad they're basically ignoring the europeans. The shipment numbers to non-XBO countries are a joke. So, we don't get Xbox One, and it's practically impossible to find a PS4 until next year as well.

Into

And they will do even bigger numbers in Europe in a few days. The thing is sold out everywhere here, you are just told to come back in mid December and they may have a few

I don't really care about sales numbers but it will be quite interesting to see how Microsoft compare in their home territory. I'd imagine even if Microsoft outsold them in the US they could still see it as a win due to how strong the Xbox is in it's home territory.

Europe will be quite interesting too, although it's largely Sony's territory they are a week later so I think it's going to be as simple as some people just not wanting to wait another week.

Japan/Asia isn't even worth thinking about, Sony could release 12 months after Microsoft and still outsell them 10-1 without even trying.

The problem here is that MS is reportedly having issues with manufacturing enough Xbones, which is why they are launching it in so few countries. You can't sell what you can't make, and right now Sony's easily out-making MS in terms of how many PS4s Sony can produce versus how many Xbones MS can produce. In a race to see who can sell more, assuming demand will always ensure a sellout (and it should at launch), the one who can make more will obviously sell more.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
EU will beat that sales figure on launch day! Oh yeah.

It does make me wonder slightly about what kind of shipment numbers they'll have for EU. They know MS isn't in the greatest of shape their stock-wise so maybe they have dramatically prioritised NA stock.

We'll see of course.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
People really are craving for next-gen. If Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo capitalize on this hunger well, the console industry has a good future. I can't wait for games such as RDR 2!

Nij3HI6.png

holy shit, double confirmation means they really do mean "sold". wow. in 24 freakin' hours too...simply amazing.
I don't really think that Boyes tweet confirms anything - a sold to retail is a sale as well - only Yoshida's tweet can be taken as meaning sell through because that's what he wrote; would be good if someone could issue a clear statement, or if NPD would issue some sort of first day/week report.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wow and we thought 1mil worldwide would be good, Damn
Wonder how much they got for Europe

S¡mon

Banned
The thing is... Xbox One is launching only in SOME European countries.

At the same time, in several European countries, some retailers have already informed customers who pre-ordered the PS4 after August, should expect their PS4s in December or even 2014.

zeroshiki

I don't really think that Boyes tweet confirms anything - a sold to retail is a sale as well - only Yoshida's tweet can be taken as meaning sell through because that's what he wrote; would be good if someone could issue a clear statement, or if NPD would issue some sort of first day/week report.

Yoshida confirmed in Japanese that it was sold through. Someone asked him if it was sold from store to consumer and he said yes.

おくまさま ‏@XXX 22m
@yosp いわゆる店舗からお客様に引き渡された数値でミリオン?

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp 22m
@okumasama 実売です

The problem here is that MS is reportedly having issues with manufacturing enough Xbones, which is why they are launching it in so few countries. You can't sell what you can't make, and right now Sony's easily out-making MS in terms of how many PS4s Sony can produce versus how many Xbones MS can produce. In a race to see who can sell more, assuming demand will always ensure a sellout (and it should at launch), the one who can make more will obviously sell more.
One of the other key differences in Sony's strategy for the PS3 was that they were happy to ship units by air to replenish stock quicker while Nintendo sent by land and sea instead to save money. I wonder if Sony are going to do the same again and if Microsoft will follow suit.

Top Bottom