• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Standby or Power down?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Even though it is almost the year 2014, the power goes out unexpectedly where I live at least once a week. In fact, it went out at 2:30pm today for no reason at all.

Knowing that, what do you recommend for me, GAF? Standby or power down?

UPS

Rsinart

I've been just sending it into standby at night. Figured I bought a warranty on the system so if anything happens I will just return. So far have had no isses at all. And my controller is charged each time I power up.

dcx4610

LOL no, if the red light is on, it's on standby, how else do you think you can turn it on using the controller? It's always polling connected bluetooth controllers for a power signal. If you wanna shut your PS3 off, you have to flip the switch on the back.

By that logic, I guess when you do a "Power off" on the PS4, it's in Standby mode?

There are two different modes. Let's break this down again...

PS3:
Ready Mode/Powered Off: : Red light on power button. Bluetooth controller is receiving power. Fans are off.
Standby Mode: Red light on power button. CPU/GPU in low powered state. System will power on via PSP/Vita. Fan is ON but in low RPM state.

PS4:
Ready Mode/Powered Offered: No light on PS4. Bluetooth controller is receiving power. Fans are off.
Standby Mode: Orange light on power button. APU in low powered state. System will power on via Vita. Fan is ON but in low RPM state.

If I have time tonight, I will confirm if the fan stays on in Standby mode on the PS4. I've read the fan will eventually turn off after the APU cools down.

For those that doubt that the fan stays on for the PS3, power off the console and hold your ear to it. You should hear nothing. Go into the options, enable remote play and then power off. You should hear the fan operating. This happens on the Fat, Slim and Super Slim and is used to keep the CPU/GPU cool even though it's in a low power state.

Fonz72

Selecting off on the PS4 menu is like flipping the switch on the back of my PS3 fat?

Selecting Standby on the PS4 is like shutting my PS3 off via XMB?

Why the fuck is this so confusing?

Also how do you get that orange light off in Standby?

Also, the PS3 could turn itself on, but the PS4 can't?

Selecting off on the PS4 menu is like flipping the switch on the back of my PS3 fat?

Selecting Standby on the PS4 is like shutting my PS3 off via XMB?

Why the fuck is this so confusing?

Also how do you get that orange light off in Standby?

Also, the PS3 could turn itself on, but the PS4 can't?

Selecting off on the PS4 is like powering down the PS3 from the XMB. Traditionally, this has always been called "standby" because the device is still consuming a minute amount of power so it can be powered on from a remote. Just like a TV, DVD player, etc.

The "standby" on the PS4 is a state between off (traditionally standby) and on.

It seems the PS4 doesn't power itself on at night like the PS3 because it's presumed that "standby" will be the standard "off" state this gen.

Fonz72

Selecting off on the PS4 is like powering down the PS3 from the XMB. Traditionally, this has always been called "standby" because the device is still consuming a minute amount of power so it can be powered on from a remote. Just like a TV, DVD player, etc.

The "standby" on the PS4 is a state between off (traditionally standby) and on.

It seems the PS4 doesn't power itself on at night like the PS3 because it's presumed that "standby" will be the standard "off" state this gen.

Ahh. Thank you.

I don't think I like this standby mode. I prefer my device to use as little power as possible without a blazing orange light.

TyrantII

So I'm a plus member and have been leaving the PS4 in standby.

Any reason it didn't download / install the KZ 1.04 update for me? Is there an option that needs to be checked off first?

I've also notice the fan runs in a low state during standby, pumping out cold air, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Wear and tear and pulling dust into the machine while it's essentially off.

AndyD

aka andydumi
how so? if i'm not focusing direclty on the ps4 i never notice it.

It depends on where it's located in your setup too. Mine is directly below the TV so the orange glow is right below the TV edge and distracting. It's no big deal in the end, I just wish it was a softer color. bright orange seems so harsh for standby. Why not a very soft blue or very soft white.

Greenies will hate me but I keep my PS3 on all the time. Same with my laptop when I'm at home. I'm not sure which gen console I'll go with but whichever it is, it'll be in standby basically 24/7/365. Power outages will be the only time mine will go into full power down mode.

Guys. You've been putting your PS3's in stand-by since 2006. Unless you were still rocking a phat and flipping the switch on the back of the console every time you stopped playing, the PS3 was always in stand-by when you turned it "off."

The only reason this is even a discussion is because Sony strangely brought back the option to fully power down with the PS4, which is an absolutely silly thing for you to do. Unless you don't want automatic patch updates, save files backups, actual "remote" remote play functionality or the ability to purchase content from the web/app and have it begin downloading immediately. You lose all that if you fully power off.

Stand-by is what you've always done with your PS3, and what you should continue to do with your PS4.

The PS3s standby has a lot more in common with the PS4 off position than it does the PS4 standby.

The PS3 when off "in standby" is basically totally off except for being able to turn on from a controller. You can unplug the PS3 from off no problem, nothing happens to the PS4.

If you have PS4 in standby you are not supposed to unplug it. I already had the power freak out in the middle of the night and it powered down my standby PS4. I got a message the next day basically saying "WTF is wrong with you, dont power down while in standby!" I'm paraphrasing.

There is too much risk leaving it on standby all the time, its not safe from crashes and power outages like the PS3 was. I much rather have the PS4 wake up for a few hours each night to download stuff then shut itself off like the PS3 does.

Cday

Banned
Had mine in standby all night. Didn't download the update until I turned it on. Yes I have standby enabled, yes I have automatic downloads enabled. Standby dropped the ball.

Grinchy

Banned
I just put my system in standby, and a few minutes later it turned itself off completely (had orange light, it went dark). This is the third time I've seen it do this.

Plus, like many others, downloads aren't even happening automatically for me in standby anyway.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Had mine in standby all night. Didn't download the update until I turned it on. Yes I have standby enabled, yes I have automatic downloads enabled. Standby dropped the ball.
It downloaded it for me, but I assumed it would take care of the installation for me too. I had to go through the whole process when I got out of standby, which nearly defeats the purpose of standby for me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It downloaded it for me, but I assumed it would take care of the installation for me too. I had to go through the whole process when I got out of standby, which nearly defeats the purpose of standby for me.

System updates are not automatically installed. Never have been. Because they always require a TOS re-sign due to the changes in the features. If you don't actively agree, it won't install.

I don't see this ever changing. Ever.

I put it on stand buy during the day if I intend to get back to it later on the same day.
I power down every night, the cold boot up time does not bother me.
pretty much this, I had to confirm the download of the latest firmware update... so what's the point of stand by? LOL

Meier

Power down. Always. Does anyone put their desktop in Standby mode? I certainly don't. When I'm not using it, I may as well use as little power as possible.

Levyne

Banned
I've just been shutting it down because i'ts what I've always done. Maybe I'll try standby, though

Power down. Always. Does anyone put their desktop in Standby mode? I certainly don't. When I'm not using it, I may as well use as little power as possible.

My desktop is always on >_>

Gbraga

-You can also purchase digital games through the Sony Entertainment Network online store via PC and compatible mobile devices through PlayStation App — if your PS4 is in standby mode, the game will automatically download.

This is awesome and is enough reason to have it in standby all the time.

Same for me and my friends. We all had the correct options enabled and had our systems in standby yet it didn't download the update...

Standby is the correct answer. If you're shutting it down you might as well just run electric shocks through it. The 60 cents a month you save on your energy bill isn't worth it.

gruenel

Standby is the correct answer. If you're shutting it down you might as well just run electric shocks through it. The 60 cents a month you save on your energy bill isn't worth it.

I'm sure the PS4 can handle that just fine. Like the other few dozens of electronics devices I've completely shut down every day over the last few decades.

Would anything bad happen of the electricity goes out while the system is on standby?

Aside from the fact it complains about being shutdown incorrectly, not really. If it is patching a game then it could corrupt the game data (separate from save data), but since the console isn't patching the OS in standby I wouldn't worry about it.

I would for sure keep it on a surge protector of some sort regardless if you keep it in stand by or not.

A surge protector isn't going to so a thing in this scenario (power failure while device is on/standby). A UPS will though.

Kssio_Aug

Ok, im concerned about letting my PS4 in standby.
It seems really warm in standby, almost like if my PS3 was turned on. Is that normal?

Would the right thing be:
-Turn it off at night, or when not using it soon or not downloading anything.
-Let it in standby when youre planning to play later or via remote play, and when youre downloading something.

I let my PS4 in vertical, and I think my PS4 is really warm even in stanby. Im not used to let other devices at this same state, so Im not sure (and the PS3 standy mode, is more like PS4 turned off).

So, what you peope recommend?

Hasney

It seems really warm in standby, almost like if my PS3 was turned on. Is that normal?

-Let it in standby when youre planning to play later or via remote play, and when youre downloading something.

I let my PS4 in vertical, and I think my PS4 is really warm even in stanby. Im not used to let other devices at this same state, so Im not sure (and the PS3 standy mode, is more like PS4 turned off).

Mine actually cools down quicker in standby as long as it's not downloading. Fans keep going for a bit compared to shutting it down outright.

If it's not downloading or charging while in stand-by and it's still very warm, I'd worry a little.

I have been leaving mine in Standby since getting it last week. Mine whirs down to a low fan speed for about 20s then the fan shuts of entirely. It's not warm at all when in this mode. Are you sure it's not downloading a game?

Milly79

I'm scared to use standby. I would have it standby after 2 hours and when I turned the controller back on it shut off. Rebooted into safe mode and told me I didn't turn it off correctly when I didn't touch the console itself or hold down the PS button. Never again, unless it's a small bug that gets patched eventually.

boosh5

Banned
I'm scared to use standby. I would have it standby after 2 hours and when I turned the controller back on it shut off. Rebooted into safe mode and told me I didn't turn it off correctly when I didn't touch the console itself or hold down the PS button. Never again, unless it's a small bug that gets patched eventually.

This has been happening to me too.

Kssio_Aug

Mine actually cools down quicker in standby as long as it's not downloading. Fans keep going for a bit compared to shutting it down outright.

If it's not downloading or charging while in stand-by and it's still very warm, I'd worry a little.

Mine is kind warm. =(

I have been leaving mine in Standby since getting it last week. Mine whirs down to a low fan speed for about 20s then the fan shuts of entirely. It's not warm at all when in this mode. Are you sure it's not downloading a game?

Nope. I was... but it finished during the night. Still warm.
I wouldnt say taht in standby its HOT... but its warm, specially in a very specif point (where I believe it acumulates the most heat).

Already turned off the power supply, but it was warm.
Ill do more tests then... =/

Top Bottom