• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Standby or Power down?

I would put the system on standby but I have two concerns. First day I accidentally unplugged the power while the ps4 was on standby and some data got corrupted. So if lets say we have a power outage that will cause problems. The OS did repair the corrupt data however. My second concern is dust. I have a dog and my room gets dusty very fast. On standby the system fan is working so I constantly have to dust around the intake air vents.

I'll check it tonight. I only tried standby once and the fan stayed on after putting into standby just like the PS3. I don't see why the PS4 would be any different.

I'll leave it in standby for 30+ minutes and check it.

Well the PS4 has a dedicated chip just for handling downloading and installing patches while on standby, turning off the main SOC. So it should be very different from PS3.

Wow this topic is a mess... Half saying turning the console off/on (or a PC) will cause wear and tear, half is saying it does not. What the hell it is?

molnizzle

Guys. You've been putting your PS3's in stand-by since 2006. Unless you were still rocking a phat and flipping the switch on the back of the console every time you stopped playing, the PS3 was always in stand-by when you turned it "off."

The only reason this is even a discussion is because Sony strangely brought back the option to fully power down with the PS4, which is an absolutely silly thing for you to do. Unless you don't want automatic patch updates, save files backups, actual "remote" remote play functionality or the ability to purchase content from the web/app and have it begin downloading immediately. You lose all that if you fully power off.

Stand-by is what you've always done with your PS3, and what you should continue to do with your PS4.

Guys. You've been putting your PS3's in stand-by since 2006. Unless you were still rocking a phat and flipping the switch on the back of the console every time you stopped playing, the PS3 was always in stand-by when you turned it "off."

The only reason this is even a discussion is because Sony strangely brought back the option to fully power down with the PS4, which is an absolutely silly thing for you to do. Unless you don't want automatic patch updates, save files backups, actual "remote" remote play functionality or the ability to purchase content from the web/app and have it begin downloading immediately. You lose all that if you fully power off.

Stand-by is what you've always done with your PS3, and what you should continue to do with your PS4.

As you just pointed out, this standby mode is not the same as the PS3's. I'll do a mix of standby and a full power down. The features that I'll use in standby mode, powering the controller, automatic patch downloads and automatic game downloads occur infrequent enough that I can employ standby on an as-needed basis.

I did a quick test an standby mode booted up slower than from a full shutdown. That was a one time thing so take that with a grain of salt. The thing that got me was that I wanted to move my PS4 while it was in standby and I couldn't turn off the power from the power button. It's a little thing but for me right now I don't see the benefit of always using standby. I get a little peace of mind when the console is fully off.

jcm

No, the main reason it's a discussion is that the PS4's standby uses much more power than the PS3's. The PS3 slim uses .36W in standby. The PS4 uses 10W.

Presumably Sony brought back option to fully power down with the PS4 because they needed to comply with the EU 1W standby regulation.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Standby all the way for me.

What's the difference ?

When you say stand by to me I think

* plugged in at wall , not turned on. Eg the state my PC or PS3 is in when shutdown*

But you guys seem to be describing

* turned off at wall
* PC style sleep mode

That's not standby, that's turned off. Standby typically means being on in a very low power state.

Yes. The fan stays on 24/7 if you put it in stand by mode. The same thing happens on the PS3.

That's not true at all for either the PS3 or the PS4. My fans are off for either console when they are in standby.

No, completely normal. I think people are confusing standby with seeing the little red light on their PS3.

If the PS3 has the power cable connected, you will see a red light on your system. This is NOT standby. The system is completely powered off and there will be no fan.

If you enable Remote Play for the PSP/Vita, the system will then be in standby mode. You will still see a red light on the PS3 but the system fan will now run 24/7 at low RPMs to keep the CPU cool (which is also running in a low wattage state).

If you enable remote play on the PS4, I see no reason why the fan wouldn't run 24/7 as well since it has to keep the hardware running in a low power state. I'll test it tonight.

LOL no, if the red light is on, it's on standby, how else do you think you can turn it on using the controller? It's always polling connected bluetooth controllers for a power signal. If you wanna shut your PS3 off, you have to flip the switch on the back.

kiguel182

when you put it in stand by mode does it have the blue light one?

I'll have it in the room and I can't stand bright lights when trying to sleep....

jmd494

when you put it in stand by mode does it have the blue light one?

I'll have it in the room and I can't stand bright lights when trying to sleep....

I have an orange light but it is pretty bright and doesn't go off (at least not for a good while).

Minamu

Living in a student apartment, I don't have a literal electricity bill to worry about so I'll probably keep it on. Though the environment is obviously worth considering.

SolidC213

Maybe this has been answered in here but where do I shut off the controller when I don't need it. Tried to turn it off last night while watching a movie but I couldn't find out how to do it.

Ovid

My main concern with standby mode, is that it gives warnings about not losing power when in standby. So... is there a chance of bricking if it's in standby, and there's a power outage in your area?
Bricking your console during a standby firmware update and the power goes out. Worth the risk? It's a low risk but still.

I'll be using standby during the day or evening that I'm playing games and powering it off before bed. The option to turn the power off completely from bed via my Vita is a nice plus.

Just been turning it off unless I need to charge the controllers or i'm going to download something. Power usage seems too high to always leave it in standby.

kaiyo

Maybe this has been answered in here but where do I shut off the controller when I don't need it. Tried to turn it off last night while watching a movie but I couldn't find out how to do it.

Hold down the PS button > adjust devices > turn off device

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
This is inexcusable. I hope it's not accurate.

Edit: Apparently it's not accurate. 10W is still to high in my opinion, though.

I agree. Has AMD not invested in low power consumption for mobile?

Grinchy

Banned
I've been using standby, but I probably won't be using it anymore. I just now put it in standby after playing some, and a few minutes later I noticed the white, pulsing light on the PS4. I just held the power button until it shut itself off and everything is fine now, but I don't feel comfortable with standby now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm tired of that big-ass orange light already. Not their best decision.

Moofers

Its always good to turn off electronic devices every few days or so. Think of it as being like your car. Sure, you could leave it idle in the driveway, but its better to turn it off and let everything cool/settle. Same logic applies.

NIN90

Power down until they get their suspend feature implemented.

I got one of these so its pretty much neccessary:
Stromleiste.jpg

Even though it is almost the year 2014, the power goes out unexpectedly where I live at least once a week. In fact, it went out at 2:30pm today for no reason at all.

Knowing that, what do you recommend for me, GAF? Standby or power down?

Arkanius

10W is still a bit too much for a low powered mode.
I expected around 2W.

What I'm afraid of is that 70W when downloading. Let's hope there are just no "constant" updates. Or at least, giant ones, otherwise those 70W every hour will start to weight down on our wallets

Jeramii

Banned
Even though it is almost the year 2014, the power goes out unexpectedly where I live at least once a week. In fact, it went out at 2:30pm today for no reason at all.

Knowing that, what do you recommend for me, GAF? Standby or power down?

Power down obviously.

If your system is in the middle of a standby process, the last thing you'd want to do is unplug it. Might not be a problem here and there, but could eventually be the cause of some surprise big problem down the road.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I'm confused, so the PS4 will do all the auto-updates and stuff even from a fully powered down state or will it only do that from stand-by?

Kogepan

I expected around 2W.

What I'm afraid of is that 70W when downloading. Let's hope there are just no "constant" updates. Or at least, giant ones, otherwise those 70W every hour will start to weight down on our wallets

well if the PS4 is doing something (pulling down updates etc) of course the readings will fluctuate. Readings should be averaged out over a week to get a real sense of the power draw...i assume after all the 'day 1 updates' are finished the draw will minimize.

Valnen

I expected around 2W.

2W? For such a powerful machine? I couldn't imagine that.

If had a less shitty paying job I'd leave it in standby all the time. As it is I only leave it in standby when I know I'm going to be taking my Vita somewhere for remote play, otherwise it's all off all the time.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I've been keeping it in standby instead of fully powering down. Reading the OP confirms why. It's honestly better for the longevity of the hardware as well.

Key2001

Power down until I get a UPS for the PS4 and perhaps my modem (any recommendations?). Since they built all of these new houses in my area I get a brown out about once a day during the summer(not sure if it is because of that or just coincidence).

Darvan

Since I gotten the system I've been putting it into standby mode. I would say that Sony want's you to use standby mode since that's the only way you can charge the controller(s). I believe on my Wii U with the newest software update it's also running in a standby mode where it turns on briefly to see if there's any new street-pass download's etc.

horsebird

Banned
Power down, but it's nice to have the option to leave it on stand-by so it can download game and system updates when I'm at work.

Is it worth the risk of chancing a power outage while in standby mode overnight? Should I just turn it off if I don't care about updates automatically downloading? The consensus still seems pretty 50/50 from reading this thread.

Nafai1123

Banned
I was using standby until I came home and found the PS4 off. Tried turning it on (several times) and when I finally could it gave me a warning it was turned off improperly. With the chance of a power outage I don't want to risk HDD corruption (or worse).

Top Bottom